IRDC approaching

Mario Lassnig

Oct 29, 2009, 9:12:01 AM10/29/09
Hey all,

IRDC09 is approaching in a week, so I just wanted to ask
if people still need some things sorted out locally here
in Geneva (that I can take care of).

Cheers!
Mario

flend

Oct 29, 2009, 7:40:07 PM10/29/09

Hmm, nothing needs to be sorted out for me (aside from perhaps telling
the hostel that I won't arrive until Saturday and only need 1 night).

I'm very excited about the event and seeing some of CERN. There don't
seem to be many talks listed at the moment, but I hope more will
appear by the day itself!

All the best,

flend

Jeff Lait

Oct 29, 2009, 10:11:37 PM10/29/09
On Oct 29, 9:12 am, Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:

> IRDC09 is approaching in a week, so I just wanted to ask
> if people still need some things sorted out locally here
> in Geneva (that I can take care of).

Help writing my talk would be appreciated. Been too busy!

I'm at the Hostel saturday night only, but I will be flying in noonish
Friday so would like to hook up for Friday nights events, whatever
those are. Will probably email you at some point to try to coordinate
cell-phone like devices for final coordination in Geneva.
--
Jeff Lait

Mario Lassnig

Oct 30, 2009, 10:07:31 AM10/30/09

would you guys mind if i post messages to the bulletin boards here?
i'm sure we have enough people here who at least play roguelikes
and might want to drop by (if only for a drink)...

Ido Yehieli

Oct 30, 2009, 12:18:17 PM10/30/09
Mario Lassnig wrote:

> would you guys mind if i post messages to the bulletin boards here?
> i'm sure we have enough people here who at least play roguelikes
> and might want to drop by (if only for a drink)...

The more the merrier!

Darren Grey

Oct 31, 2009, 6:15:43 AM10/31/09

Yeah, some co-ordination might be needed. How are we all planning to
meet up? At the hostel, or at one of the conference facilities? I
assume a bunch of us will be planning on going for a meal together on
the Friday evening. Hmm, and does anyone know what's the easiest way
from the airport to the hostel?

I'm getting rather excited now... In addition to the talks, are we
going to have any open discussion like the "Berlin Interpretation"?
I'd perhaps propose some discussion on *why* roguelikes have the
features they have, and how they work well together, with perhaps some
analysis of how certain games have successfully broken from the mold.
Not really any conclusion to be drawn from it, but could be an
interesting subject matter to reflect upon.

Is there any general timetable of events planned, or shall we just be
playing things by ear? I rather look forward to seeing some of the
CERN stuff as well.

--
Darren Grey - http://gruesomegames.com
"It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone..."

flend

Oct 31, 2009, 6:37:52 AM10/31/09
On 31 Oct, 10:15, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any general timetable of events planned, or shall we just be
> playing things by ear?  I rather look forward to seeing some of the
> CERN stuff as well.

I agree that a timetable or at least a meeting place would be useful.
I'd just like to echo the fact that I'd like to have a look around at
CERN as well. Perhaps this would be good for Sunday morning or
afternoon, if the main IRDC is on Saturday.

Cheersu,

flend

Mario Lassnig

Nov 2, 2009, 7:28:11 AM11/2/09

The best approach is that you go to the reception at CERN (building 33,
directly in front of the bus stop, you can't miss it) and tell them
to phone me, so I can jump by and bring you to the hostel on site
directly. ( http://map.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=33 )
Also, while you wait for me you can fill out your visitor's badge with
the reception people.

(if you need bus itineraries / timetables,
go here: http://www.tpg.ch/ )

If you come by car, you can park directly outside the site.

If you arrive during non-working hours (==before 8am, after 8pm) then
please send me a mail :-) If you want my phone number, send me a mail
as well :-)

general timetable:
i'd suggest we play it by ear, go through the talks and then see where
things take us. especially, i'd really like to expand on the berlin
interpretation thing... the geneva conventions? :-)

seeing cern stuff:
I can take you to the microcosm, that's the science museum here on site
and the ATLAS visitor's centre, but we can only do this Friday &
Saturday (it's closed on Sundays). both are great places, so you get
a chance to see how we do all of this :)

JPEG

Nov 2, 2009, 9:16:51 AM11/2/09
On Nov 2, 1:28 pm, Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:
> i'd suggest we play it by ear, go through the talks and then see where
> things take us. especially, i'd really like to expand on the berlin
> interpretation thing... the geneva conventions? :-)

I sorta agree to the "playing by ear" thing, though repeating the
"What is a roguelike" discussion seems a bit... boring, maybe ... no,
that's the wrong word seeing how this is one of the topics that has no
definitive answer, so you can discuss it endlessly, but still: I doubt
the end result would differ a lot from the Berlin version.
Couldn't we do another pointless debate instead? I mean the war
between true ascii vs. graphics has also been fought over and over,
but at least not at as a main point at an IRDC. :p Generally speaking,
I guess we could take the Berlin interpretation as a starting point
and then discuss the more controversial points in more detail.

> seeing cern stuff:
> I can take you to the microcosm, that's the science museum here on site
> and the ATLAS visitor's centre, but we can only do this Friday &
> Saturday (it's closed on Sundays). both are great places, so you get
> a chance to see how we do all of this :)

That does sound interesting. If we're already on site and all.

Cheers,

Johanna

Patric Mueller

Nov 2, 2009, 1:01:11 PM11/2/09
JPEG <erin...@hotmail.de> wrote:

> Couldn't we do another pointless debate instead? I mean the war
> between true ascii vs. graphics has also been fought over and over,
> but at least not at as a main point at an IRDC. :p Generally speaking,

"Why is NetHack still the most popular RL?"

"The best RL: 'Dwarf Fortress', 'Shiren then Wanderer' or yet unwritten?"

"ASCII: Better rendered in OpenGL or DirectX?"

Bye
Patric

--
NetHack-De: NetHack auf Deutsch - http://nethack-de.sf.net/
NetHack for AROS: http://sf.net/projects/nethack-aros/

Jeff Lait

Nov 2, 2009, 1:15:53 PM11/2/09
On Nov 2, 7:28 am, Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:
> On 10/31/09 11:37 , flend wrote:
>
> > On 31 Oct, 10:15, Darren Grey<darrenjohng...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> >> Is there any general timetable of events planned, or shall we just be
> >> playing things by ear?  I rather look forward to seeing some of the
> >> CERN stuff as well.
>
> > I agree that a timetable or at least a meeting place would be useful.
> > I'd just like to echo the fact that I'd like to have a look around at
> > CERN as well. Perhaps this would be good for Sunday morning or
> > afternoon, if the main IRDC is on Saturday.
>
> The best approach is that you go to the reception at CERN (building 33,
> directly in front of the bus stop, you can't miss it) and tell them
> to phone me, so I can jump by and bring you to the hostel on site
> directly. (http://map.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=33)
> Also, while you wait for me you can fill out your visitor's badge with
> the reception people.

I'm staying at said Hostel the Saturday only, staying offsite the
night before, but I will be in Friday afternoon.

I presume we can ring you up from the reception any time Friday?

> general timetable:
> i'd suggest we play it by ear, go through the talks and then see where
> things take us. especially, i'd really like to expand on the berlin
> interpretation thing... the geneva conventions? :-)

If you are posting internally, might be best to direct non-developers
to the time at which we'll run the talks. I presume these'll be done
on Saturday at some time.

Jeff Lait

Nov 2, 2009, 1:18:53 PM11/2/09
On Nov 2, 9:16 am, JPEG <erina...@hotmail.de> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 1:28 pm, Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:
>
> > i'd suggest we play it by ear, go through the talks and then see where
> > things take us. especially, i'd really like to expand on the berlin
> > interpretation thing... the geneva conventions? :-)
>
> I sorta agree to the "playing by ear" thing, though repeating the
> "What is a roguelike" discussion seems a bit... boring, maybe ... no,
> that's the wrong word seeing how this is one of the topics that has no
> definitive answer, so you can discuss it endlessly, but still: I doubt
> the end result would differ a lot from the Berlin version.

I think I concur. Mind you, I may be biased as I was involved in the
Berlin Interpretation.

> Couldn't we do another pointless debate instead? I mean the war
> between true ascii vs. graphics has also been fought over and over,
> but at least not at as a main point at an IRDC. :p Generally speaking,
> I guess we could take the Berlin interpretation as a starting point
> and then discuss the more controversial points in more detail.

I think the more contentious stuff would be better addressed by
presenting a paper with the given opinion, so we may then dissect it
in the discussion panel.

One thing I think would be really cool, but have no idea how it would
be done, would be to some how cooperatively write a roguelike game.

Ido Yehieli

Nov 2, 2009, 2:30:07 PM11/2/09
Jeff Lait wrote:

> One thing I think would be really cool, but have no idea how it would
> be done, would be to some how cooperatively write a roguelike game.

I think that's a good idea and quite doable in 2 days or so - since
we'll presumably have a lot more time and focus than during a normal
7drl week (not to mention the factor of working together).

I've been to other meet ups of similar durations (like TIGJams and
NoMoreSweden) where we had n hours game making competitions (with n
between 3 and 40) and it worked out fine.

We have 12 people registered, and at least last time in Berlin about 3
or 4 local people showed up without registering. I think it is quite
probable we'll have 4-5 pairs or more of people who are staying for long
enough to have time to participate. So if others are into it I think
pairing up for a ~30-40h roguelike compo could be a pretty neat idea.

In that case the schedule might look something like:

Friday:
* Socializing during the day until everyone arrives.
* prepared talks/lectures at the evening.

Saturday:
* The rest of the prepared talks (if there are any left) + general
discussion (like the Berlin interpretation stuff we had last year) till
early afternoon.
* Pairing up (or whatever group size people want to have) & starting the
competition at the afternoon, maybe after a short break.

Sunday:
* Most of the time devoted to the competition, maybe till the evening.
* Presenting the results & ensuing discussion.

-Ido.

Darren Grey

Nov 2, 2009, 2:32:10 PM11/2/09
On Nov 2, 12:28 pm, Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:

> seeing cern stuff:
> I can take you to the microcosm, that's the science museum here on site
> and the ATLAS visitor's centre, but we can only do this Friday &
> Saturday (it's closed on Sundays). both are great places, so you get
> a chance to see how we do all of this :)

I must admit that this i what I'm looking forward to most - I've
wanted to visit CERN all my life. Perhaps Saturday morning would be
the best time for when everyone is around? And then we can have the
conference talks in the afternoon/evening.

When is everyone arriving by the way? My flight gets in at 2.30pm on
the Friday. Anyone else arriving around then?

--
Darren Grey

Ido Yehieli

Nov 2, 2009, 2:34:12 PM11/2/09
On Nov 2, 8:32 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When is everyone arriving by the way?  My flight gets in at 2.30pm on
> the Friday.  Anyone else arriving around then?

I'll arrive on Thursday night & will probably go directly to sleep
after eleven and a half hours on the road.

-Ido.

flend

Nov 2, 2009, 5:46:43 PM11/2/09
On 2 Nov, 19:32, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 12:28 pm, Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:
>
> > seeing cern stuff:
> > I can take you to the microcosm, that's the science museum here on site
> > and the ATLAS visitor's centre, but we can only do this Friday &
> > Saturday (it's closed on Sundays). both are great places, so you get
> > a chance to see how we do all of this :)
>
> I must admit that this i what I'm looking forward to most - I've
> wanted to visit CERN all my life.  Perhaps Saturday morning would be
> the best time for when everyone is around?  And then we can have the
> conference talks in the afternoon/evening.

I'm not going to be around Saturday morning (my flight gets in at
11am). But I don't mind sneaking off to have a look at the museums in
the late afternoon and rejoining in the evening. I've got about half
my talk written, so I'd like to give that at some point.

flend

JPEG

Nov 4, 2009, 3:28:40 AM11/4/09
On Nov 2, 7:01 pm, Patric Mueller <bh...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> "Why is NetHack still the most popular RL?"

You know, that's actually a pretty good question - though I probably
don't mean it the same way as you do. :)

Johanna

> --
> NetHack-De: NetHack auf Deutsch -http://nethack-de.sf.net/

flend

Nov 4, 2009, 7:54:44 AM11/4/09
On 2 Nov, 19:30, Ido Yehieli <ido.yehi...@chello.at> wrote:
> Jeff Lait wrote:
>
> > One thing I think would be really cool, but have no idea how it would
> > be done, would be to some how cooperatively write a roguelike game.
>
> I think that's a good idea and quite doable in 2 days or so - since
> we'll presumably have a lot more time and focus than during a normal
> 7drl week (not to mention the factor of working together).

Hmm, there go my plans for a relaxing weekend! Seriously, I'm not sure
I'd be up for (or in town long enough for) anything too serious and I
don't really fancy all Sunday intensively staring at my laptop screen.
Saying that, I wouldn't object to a short jam, 3 or 4 hrs perhaps on
Sunday morning/early afternoon, with a limited scope like < 5 K (< 1
K) source.

flend

Ido Yehieli

Nov 4, 2009, 9:14:22 AM11/4/09
flend wrote:

> Hmm, there go my plans for a relaxing weekend! Seriously, I'm not sure
> I'd be up for (or in town long enough for) anything too serious and I
> don't really fancy all Sunday intensively staring at my laptop screen.
> Saying that, I wouldn't object to a short jam, 3 or 4 hrs perhaps on
> Sunday morning/early afternoon, with a limited scope like < 5 K (< 1
> K) source.

I guess we could discuss that on Friday evening or Saturday morning.

I am not sure there is any goog 'middle ground' here - after all what
can you really come up with in 3-4 hours?

-Ido.

flend

Nov 4, 2009, 5:23:18 PM11/4/09

Yeah, sure. If some people want to code and some people want to hang
around and look for somewhere selling alcohol, I guess that's not a
problem!

flend

Jeff Lait

Nov 4, 2009, 9:43:53 PM11/4/09
On Nov 2, 2:32 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When is everyone arriving by the way?  My flight gets in at 2.30pm on
> the Friday.  Anyone else arriving around then?

My flight gets in at 11am. I'll be dropping off at the airport hotel,
however, before proceeding on to CERN (Friday I'm at the airport,
Saturday the Hostel for one night).

Looks like I'll lack any cell phone, my best hope turned out to be a
dual band. So I hope Mario doesn't mind people straggling in on
Friday bugging him every 15 minutes :>

Jeff Lait

Nov 4, 2009, 10:22:54 PM11/4/09
On Nov 2, 1:01 pm, Patric Mueller <bh...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> JPEG <erina...@hotmail.de> wrote:
>
> > Couldn't we do another pointless debate instead? I mean the war
> > between true ascii vs. graphics has also been fought over and over,
> > but at least not at as a main point at an IRDC. :p Generally speaking,

I'd like to propose a discussion on the following topic:
"Balance Considered Harmful"

I'll argue in support of this claim.

David Ploog

Nov 5, 2009, 1:37:42 AM11/5/09
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Jeff Lait wrote:

> I'd like to propose a discussion on the following topic:
> "Balance Considered Harmful"
>
> I'll argue in support of this claim.

I have some ideas of potential reasons on that behalf and I'd love to
dispose with them.

"Balance or Death"
David

Patric Mueller

Nov 5, 2009, 3:24:35 AM11/5/09
Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:

> The best approach is that you go to the reception at CERN (building 33,
> directly in front of the bus stop, you can't miss it) and tell them
> to phone me, so I can jump by and bring you to the hostel on site
> directly. ( http://map.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=33 )
> Also, while you wait for me you can fill out your visitor's badge with
> the reception people.

I'll be arriving on Friday either at 17:30 or 17:50. I already have
sorted it out with the Hostel regarding the past five arrival.

> (if you need bus itineraries / timetables,
> go here: http://www.tpg.ch/ )

Or for those unable to decipher French:
http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?

"Meyrin, CERN" or "Meyrin, P+R Planche" should be the right
destinations.

> general timetable:
> i'd suggest we play it by ear, go through the talks and then see where
> things take us. especially, i'd really like to expand on the berlin
> interpretation thing... the geneva conventions? :-)

I'm still wondering if I can come up with something that at least
resembles a talk *and* isn't completely boring. :-)

Bye
Patric

--
NetHack-De: NetHack auf Deutsch - http://nethack-de.sf.net/

Patric Mueller

Nov 5, 2009, 3:40:21 AM11/5/09
Jeff Lait <torespon...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to propose a discussion on the following topic:
> "Balance Considered Harmful"
>
> I'll argue in support of this claim.

I'd say "balanced doesn't equal fun" but I'm not sure on which side
this would put me.

Mario Lassnig

Nov 5, 2009, 3:51:07 AM11/5/09
On 11/05/09 09:40 , Patric Mueller wrote:
> Jeff Lait<torespon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to propose a discussion on the following topic:
>> "Balance Considered Harmful"
>>
>> I'll argue in support of this claim.
>
> I'd say "balanced doesn't equal fun" but I'm not sure on which side
> this would put me.

THIS IS SPAAAARTA!

> Bye
> Patric

Mario Lassnig

Nov 5, 2009, 4:01:35 AM11/5/09
On 11/05/09 03:43 , Jeff Lait wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2:32 pm, Darren Grey<darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When is everyone arriving by the way? My flight gets in at 2.30pm on
>> the Friday. Anyone else arriving around then?
>
> My flight gets in at 11am. I'll be dropping off at the airport hotel,
> however, before proceeding on to CERN (Friday I'm at the airport,
> Saturday the Hostel for one night).

from the airport, you have to change once.
the first bus is 28, which is kind of a **** to find. locate the exit
of the railway station, look straight onto the airport car park,
then it'll be to your left.

then hop off at "jardin alpin" and take 56 to "cern".
cern actually has two bus stops "les pommeries" (which is entrance "a"
and "cern" which is entrance "b"). both are equidistant to the reception
building, so it doesn't matter :) you'll see it.

ah, the tickets. there are ticket machines at every bus stop.
what you want is a "tout geneve 1 heure/itineraire" for 3 francs.
(it's marked red)
make sure you don't throw in too much money because the machines
won't refund overcharges :-) (unless you collect them and file
them for a refund at the TPG main station, which is kind of a pain)

> Looks like I'll lack any cell phone, my best hope turned out to be a
> dual band. So I hope Mario doesn't mind people straggling in on
> Friday bugging him every 15 minutes :>

haha no worries

Mario Lassnig

Nov 5, 2009, 4:05:04 AM11/5/09
On 11/05/09 09:24 , Patric Mueller wrote:
> Mario Lassnig<ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:
>>
>> The best approach is that you go to the reception at CERN (building 33,
>> directly in front of the bus stop, you can't miss it) and tell them
>> to phone me, so I can jump by and bring you to the hostel on site
>> directly. ( http://map.web.cern.ch/map/building?bno=33 )
>> Also, while you wait for me you can fill out your visitor's badge with
>> the reception people.
>
> I'll be arriving on Friday either at 17:30 or 17:50. I already have
> sorted it out with the Hostel regarding the past five arrival.
>
>> (if you need bus itineraries / timetables,
>> go here: http://www.tpg.ch/ )
>
> Or for those unable to decipher French:
> http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?
>
> "Meyrin, CERN" or "Meyrin, P+R Planche" should be the right
> destinations.

if you get out at meyrin.... that'll be a walk of
30 minutes through lots of soviet style precast concrete slab
buildings then :)

the correct bus stops are called "les pommeries" and "cern".
take any one of those :)

>> general timetable:
>> i'd suggest we play it by ear, go through the talks and then see where
>> things take us. especially, i'd really like to expand on the berlin
>> interpretation thing... the geneva conventions? :-)
>
> I'm still wondering if I can come up with something that at least
> resembles a talk *and* isn't completely boring. :-)

:-)

> Bye
> Patric

Dirk Zimmermann

Nov 5, 2009, 4:50:26 AM11/5/09

I'll be at the airport Friday 10:30 am. Since there won't be any point
checking in that early at the hostel I will probably take a look at
the city or hook up with you guys.

Is there some sort of public transportation ticket that's valid for
the weekend and gets you around airport, hostel and city?

-- Dirk http://blog.dirkz.com

Patric Mueller

Nov 5, 2009, 4:51:28 AM11/5/09
Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:

> if you get out at meyrin.... that'll be a walk of
> 30 minutes through lots of soviet style precast concrete slab
> buildings then :)

Nobody appreciates soviet architecture anymore. :-(

> the correct bus stops are called "les pommeries" and "cern".
> take any one of those :)

Oops, how did I get that wrong?

http://map.search.ch/?x=-168728m&y=-68852m&z=512&p=695x514

Well, at least one out of two. I've done worse.

Mario Lassnig

Nov 5, 2009, 6:56:58 AM11/5/09
On Nov 5, 10:50 am, Dirk Zimmermann <m...@dirkz.com> wrote:
> On 5 Nov., 03:43, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 2, 2:32 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > When is everyone arriving by the way?  My flight gets in at 2.30pm on
> > > the Friday.  Anyone else arriving around then?
>
> > My flight gets in at 11am.  I'll be dropping off at the airport hotel,
> > however, before proceeding on to CERN (Friday I'm at the airport,
> > Saturday the Hostel for one night).
>
> > Looks like I'll lack any cell phone, my best hope turned out to be a
> > dual band.  So I hope Mario doesn't mind people straggling in on
> > Friday bugging him every 15 minutes :>
> > --
> > Jeff Lait
> > (POWDER:http://www.zincland.com/powder)
>
> I'll be at the airport Friday 10:30 am. Since there won't be any point
> checking in that early at the hostel I will probably take a look at
> the city or hook up with you guys.

if you want to check out the city i'd suggest you hop off at
"gare cornavin" (the main railway station), and then stroll straight
down to the lake, across one of the bridges, into the old town.
lots of pubs, arteliers and stuff to check out :-)

> Is there some sort of public transportation ticket that's valid for
> the weekend and gets you around airport, hostel and city?

there are no multiple day tickets, iirc.
but you can get a 9am to midnight ("9h a minuit tout geneve") ticket
for 7 francs
(which already pays off on trip #3)

> -- Dirkhttp://blog.dirkz.com

JPEG

Nov 5, 2009, 7:17:46 AM11/5/09
On Nov 5, 9:24 am, Patric Mueller <bh...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> I'm still wondering if I can come up with something that at least
> resembles a talk *and* isn't completely boring. :-)

I'd love to hear about your efforts in translating an existing
roguelike, but of course we could also have that talk privately.

Johanna

Darren Grey

Nov 6, 2009, 6:49:58 AM11/6/09
On Oct 29, 1:12 pm, Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> IRDC09 is approaching in a week, so I just wanted to ask
> if people still need some things sorted out locally here
> in Geneva (that I can take care of).

In an act of supreme idiocy I forgot my passport when rushing to pack
this morning, and didn't realise till I got to the airport. By the
time I got back and got the passport it was too late for my flight,
and all the last minute flights are ridiculously expensive. God...
damn... it.... As much as I was looking forward to this weekend I
have to drop out :( I've rung the hostel and canceled the
reservation.

Please excuse me whilst I go sobbingly chug through a bucket of
chocolate ice cream...

--
Darren Grey

Ido Yehieli

Nov 6, 2009, 8:00:50 AM11/6/09
On Nov 5, 9:24 am, Patric Mueller <bh...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> I'll be arriving on Friday either at 17:30 or 17:50. I already have
> sorted it out with the Hostel regarding the past five arrival.

I'm here, just hanging around Geneva's city center & the lake.

If someone wants to meet up before we begin the actual program just
call/sms me at 0043 664 5585708

-Ido.

Dirk Zimmermann

Nov 6, 2009, 8:10:59 AM11/6/09

Didn't make it either :(

Have a nice week end.

--
Dirk
http://blog.dirkz.com

Mario Lassnig

Nov 6, 2009, 8:34:45 AM11/6/09

Johanna has arrived just now but she does not have a mobile phone.

I think to facilitate communication, a few pointers:

my office is 40-3D16, just come by if you're on site.
the conference room is 40-R-D10.

i would suggest we start the official programme tomorrow (saturday)
morning at 10:00am at the reception with a tour of the microcosm
museum, then head on to the experiment, have lunch and spend the
afternoon doing rogue business :)
(the conference room is booked from 08:30-17:30 so of course we can
shift things around as well, or if you want to start earlier :)

if you want to go out today in the evening, just call me :)

David Ploog

Nov 6, 2009, 9:46:09 AM11/6/09
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Patric Mueller wrote:
> Jeff Lait <torespon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to propose a discussion on the following topic:
>> "Balance Considered Harmful"
>>
>> I'll argue in support of this claim.
>
> I'd say "balanced doesn't equal fun" but I'm not sure on which side
> this would put me.

I may be the only pure balance proponent, so let me put it this way:

"Imbalancies kill gameplay and longterm fun. Destroy without clemency!"

Seriously, I believe that achieving balance is tough. Especially if you
want to avoid the bland, sterile, mechanical, or mathematical type of
balance. But it's always worth it, in my opinion. Use your imagination,
there are tons of ways how to achieve balance.

David

Jeff Lait

Nov 6, 2009, 10:01:03 AM11/6/09
On Nov 6, 2:34 pm, Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:
> On 6 Nov., 14:00, Ido Yehieli <ido.yehi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 5, 9:24 am, Patric Mueller <bh...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'll be arriving on Friday either at 17:30 or 17:50. I already have
> > > sorted it out with the Hostel regarding the past five arrival.
>
> > I'm here, just hanging around Geneva's city center & the lake.
>
> > If someone wants to meet up before we begin the actual program just
> > call/sms me at 0043 664 5585708
>
> > -Ido.
>
> Johanna has arrived just now but she does not have a mobile phone.
>
> I think to facilitate communication, a few pointers:
>
> my office is 40-3D16, just come by if you're on site.
> the conference room is 40-R-D10.
>
> i would suggest we start the official programme tomorrow (saturday)
> morning at 10:00am at the reception with a tour of the microcosm
> museum, then head on to the experiment, have lunch and spend the
> afternoon doing rogue business :)

Excellent. I am in town, but forgot to take into account that flzing
a red^eze has some consequences to oneàs abilitz to be awake. Thus I
shanàt be making it to CERN todaz, but I should be there for earlier
than 10 am tomorrow.

I presume I have to wait for zou at the reception anzwazs, even with
the conference room number_

Iàve finished mz presentation and have the Balance discussion topic
prepared.

Looking forward to seeing everzone+

(Apologies for the tzping here, high wireless prices have driven me to
a QWERTZ kezboard.)

Darren Grey

Nov 6, 2009, 10:45:41 AM11/6/09
On Nov 6, 3:01 pm, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> (Apologies for the tzping here, high wireless prices have driven me to
> a QWERTZ kezboard.)

Haha, that's really no excuse for mistyping QWERTY itself :P

--
Darren Grey