7DRL: The Rogue's Quest

1 view

failrate

Mar 6, 2010, 9:35:34 PM3/6/10
An attempt to create a minimal mission-based rogue-like. Will be
JavaScript and browser-based. Will be posted at http://failrate.com/b/theroguesquest.html

failrate

Mar 10, 2010, 3:10:41 AM3/10/10
Yep, moving along nicely. Very rudimentary and weird codebase so
far. However, there's a few happy accidents.
I was working on the visibility code tonight. One of the effects I
needed for areas that had been explored but were currently out of
sight was to grey it out and leave the last know whereabouts of any
entities in those cells. Well, due to a bug in my draw loop, I got
the latter effect for free.
Also, Directed Acyclic Graph-based Mission Nodes and Manager are
already working, which was the whole core of the project. Granted,
I'm kind of cheating, because I used the same technique to make the
logic in a shoot-em-up message-based. But in that case, it was more
like doing it for the sake of experimentation, where in this case, I
think a practical result will fall out at the end.
Note, I'm not going to concentrate on good level-building algorithms.
Instead, I'm going to be randomly generating Missions.

failrate

Mar 14, 2010, 12:41:38 AM3/14/10
Well, that's it for me. I was able to get the basic engine up in a
couple days, and I was able to do the core mission system in a night.
But, I didn't have anything like a complete game at the end. Still, I
learned that using Directed Acyclic Graphs is an easy to implement and
robust system for missions, sooooo... win?

failrate

Mar 14, 2010, 12:41:45 AM3/14/10

failrate

Mar 14, 2010, 1:08:01 AM3/14/10