7DRL Announcement Thread

Darren Grey

Mar 4, 2011, 3:46:05 PM3/4/11
Last year the newsgroup got a tad flooded by announcement posts. This
year I propose that everyone reply to this thread with their
announcements, so we can keep track of entrants a little easier.

Or ignore this and make your own thread :P Best of luck to everyone
regardless!

--
Darren Grey

LordBistian

Mar 4, 2011, 6:54:59 PM3/4/11
Its 01:00am here now. Roguelike started in Game Maker 8.

sigonasr2

Mar 5, 2011, 2:02:21 AM3/5/11
I am beginning work at 12:00AM Saturday, March 5th -7 GMT on my rogue-
like called "Free-Like".
Best of Luck to all!

Michael Doherty

Mar 5, 2011, 2:03:25 AM3/5/11
Alright. Time to start. My friend got me interested in this and I
really want to stick to it. Best of luck to everybody! btw I'm doing
it in Game Maker 8

Kevin Wells

Mar 5, 2011, 2:29:36 AM3/5/11
I started cleaning up an old barely started roguelike engine earlier tonight. The time is now 1:22 AM here (Saturday, March 5th, GMT -6), and I am officially beginning work.

I'll be writing this in C++ using SDL (along with image, gfx, and mixer), GLEW, and Boost. Oh, and I'm using libfov and Richard J. Wagner's implementation of the Mersenne Twister. As I said, the rest of the code is my own generic engine code, updated earlier tonight to actually work, and the very beginning of a roguelike engine I started a while back.

hmp

Mar 5, 2011, 2:31:18 AM3/5/11
It's Saturday, 8:30 in the morning here. I'm starting my seven day
roguelike codenamed Dwarftown. The game will be about exploring a
fallen dwarven fortress. I plan to focus on level generation and
diverse environments.

This is my second 7DRL challenge, after Madness in 2010. This time I
will be using Lua and libtcod. My starting inventory: some design
notes, and libtcod Lua bindings (modified donblas's SWIG wrapper).

hmp

radek soldek

Mar 5, 2011, 2:36:40 AM3/5/11
Hello everyone!
I am glad to join this group. I always wanted to create a game with my
own world and rules
so one day I decided to start writing a roguelike. I think this event
7DRL is a good opportunity
to make the project alive. The project called "Alamut" has been
writing by me and freekE from polish forum of ADoM (by T. Biskup)
one year ago, but we stopped probably of its huge size and lack of
time. Now we are planning just to make smaller part of it, ofcourse
which doesn't means its low potential ;). The project was based on
previous written code in C using Borland C++ 5.02. What we
did that time is displaying viewed area, monster simple actions, item
management, location change system. Now the time has come
to build one small world with one main task and few quest just to see
if the idea could be cool or not ;). We are starting on Monday coz
last days of week are better to finish feeling the deadline is
coming ;).
Good luck to You too!

Numeron

Mar 5, 2011, 3:17:05 AM3/5/11
7DRL: The Man in the Mirror

Starting now at 7.00pm, Adelaide Australia.

This will be my fourth 7drl, and this time Im going to break my trend of fast CTF style games and go with a much more genre adhering crawler, because that was basically the only thing I scored low on last year.

The game will be called "The Man in the Mirror", and its main feature will be a dual personality player who can trade places with his evil alter ego by switching over into a dark haunted mirror of the real world.

I will be using the engine and many of the image assets of Rogue Assassin, which came out at the release party last year. I intend to put as much effort into the appearance and atmosphere of the game as possible - and attempt to really breathe some life into the frozen timesliced worlds that roguelikes tend to be.

Best of luck to everyone else!

-Numeron

Greg

Mar 5, 2011, 3:32:31 AM3/5/11
Heya! Just found out about this competition yesterday. Looks like
fun! I think Rogue was the first computer game I ever played, and
since then I've played NetHack and Cthangband 3.12b (the best
version :> ). I loved those roguelikes, though I've never actually
played to the "end" of a game...

Anyway, it's 12:23am here, so I'm going to start coding and give this
competition a try. I'll be using Python with libtcod.

No title yet, still working out the idea for the game. I'm kind of
thinking a gothic/steampunk/fantasy/horror theme.

Good luck everyone! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes
up with!

-Greg

Scott Edgar

Mar 5, 2011, 3:45:23 AM3/5/11
Hey, I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring with my entry to the
competition. It is a going to be called the four challenges roguelike
(4CRL). I have never coded something as complex as this so who knows
how well this will go. It should be fun though and I think the concept
will at least be pretty interesting.

It will all be written in Java and I still have not decided what use,
but we will see I guess.

Good luck to everyone else, I sure know I will need it. :D

Darren Grey

Mar 5, 2011, 4:06:49 AM3/5/11

I did an hour of jiggling last night before settling on what I want to
do. I'm gonna properly start now, and finish on Thursday (since I'm
unavailable after then).

I'm scrapping my original plan for a sequel to Unstoppable and going
with a new idea - Broken Bottle, a post-apocalyptic game set down a
mine-shaft. You control a depressive alcoholic struggling to make his
way to the surface. Its intended to be gritty and emotionally
challenging, but ultimately may end up just camp and cheesy.

I shall be using DarkGod's T-Engine. This is in spite of having no
experience with it or Lua :/ We'll see how that goes... If I fail
to make any headway after a couple of days then I'll switch back to
Free Pascal and make the Unstoppable sequel in the remaining time. If
I made Unstoppable in 4 days I can do a sequel in 3, right...? :D

All the best to everyone taking part. Remember not to aim too high,
and try and get something at least playable out the door :)
Hopefully we'll have another record batch of new games to play at the
end!

--
Darren Grey

Nik Coughlin

Mar 5, 2011, 4:39:38 AM3/5/11

Saturday 5th March 10:38pm NZST

Just about to fire up Visual Studio and create a new project.

It will be a homage to Seth Able Robinson's Legend of the Red Dragon.

Good luck everyone!

Nicolas Mäkelä

Mar 5, 2011, 5:16:04 AM3/5/11
Yep, roguelike started. Guess I'm doing it with CoolBasic, although C+
+ and PDCurses sounds tempting too...

-Cujoes

SophieH

Mar 5, 2011, 5:22:14 AM3/5/11
it's 10:20 am GMT, Sat 5th. and I'm going to have a shot at this using
Unity. good luck everyone :)

Ido Yehieli

Mar 5, 2011, 5:57:14 AM3/5/11
On 03/04/2011 21:46 , Darren Grey wrote:
> Last year the newsgroup got a tad flooded by announcement posts. This
> year I propose that everyone reply to this thread with their
> announcements, so we can keep track of entrants a little easier.

Starting now, Saturday at 10:00AM CET on a yet-unnamed 7drl written in
haxe & using a modified haxe port of the popular Flixel game library.

-Ido & Corey.

Ido Yehieli

Mar 5, 2011, 5:57:49 AM3/5/11
On 03/05/2011 11:57 , Ido Yehieli wrote:

> Starting now, Saturday at 10:00AM CET on a yet-unnamed 7drl written in
> haxe & using a modified haxe port of the popular Flixel game library.

Oops, it's 12AM not 10...

Ido Yehieli

Mar 5, 2011, 6:00:31 AM3/5/11

Arg, 12PM! Stupid AM/PM system...It's noon not midnight.

Konstantin Stupnik

Mar 5, 2011, 6:45:08 AM3/5/11
Starting my 7drl attempt. it's 17:43 GMT+6.
Name: 'Monster Slayer Show'.
Motto: 'Kill monsters with style' :)
Language: C++
Library: libtcod

Good luck everyone!

deps

Mar 5, 2011, 6:55:55 AM3/5/11
I have started on my entry. Don't have a name for it yet. It's done in Unity so it will be in 3D, but movement will be like in the ascii variants. A lot of inspiration comes from Sword of Fargoal.

gabriel arthur petrie

Mar 5, 2011, 7:04:41 AM3/5/11
I'm in.

Glad to see I'm not the only person who'll get a late start, also on
Monday. I'll use the next two days to try and have a complete flow
design / checklist to work from by the time I sit at the keyboard. I
dont have a name for it. It's fairly ambitious but i think I'll finish
in time.

Perdurabo

Mar 5, 2011, 7:13:12 AM3/5/11
On Mar 4, 8:46 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ah sod it, I'll take part. :p

I've been bumbling about a new RL for a year or so now without getting
much done in it other than a @ walking around a map. So I should take
this opportunity to actually write the damn thing.

It will be a trad roguelike, called Stygia, inspired somewhat by
Frozen Depths, BRogue and Crawl, and I'll be starting it TOMORROW @
noon UK time.

I'll be using C# & Libtcod.

P.

FruitPie

Mar 5, 2011, 7:45:13 AM3/5/11

Well, I guess I'm in. :)

My entry is going to be Gourmancer, a short-ish roguelike about being
what you eat. Hopefully as fun to play as it (probably) is to make.

I'll be using Python and libtcod, which is apparently really popular
this year. I'll be starting 10:00 AM GMT-3, in about 15 minutes.

Good luck to everyone. :P

Ed Kolis

Mar 5, 2011, 7:45:44 AM3/5/11
All right, I'm starting on my 7DRL, "Into the Darkness"... I posted a concept over at 7drl.org (formerly known as tendrl.org) a week or two ago, and now I'm ready to start coding... I hope! Wish me luck! :)

http://7drl.org/2011/02/25/my-idea-into-the-darkness/

I'll try using Silverlight for this, but you never know, that might change...

Jeff Lait

Mar 5, 2011, 7:48:03 AM3/5/11
It's 7:45 AM EST and I'm about to embark on my 7DRL.

I'm taking a break from art-oriented non-roguelikes to push for
something completely traditional. There exists a dungeon. You go
into it to kill the vicious orcs. That is all.

Title: Vicious Orcs (Not to be confused with the slow moving Viscous
Orcs)
Engine: libtcod + Smart Kobold
--
Jeff Lait

aave

Mar 5, 2011, 8:16:56 AM3/5/11
It's 15:15 here and I'm starting my endeavor with WebGL and
JavaScript. I have posted some thoughts to 7drl.org / tendrl.org and
will continue to do so during the challenge.

Krice

Mar 5, 2011, 8:43:13 AM3/5/11
Started now. Trying to improve Teemu Roguelike and possibly even
reach the new version 1.3 with data-driven engine and some new
content. Had a good start while waiting for Reason 5 demo
download (it's huge, still downloading.......).

Zonk

Mar 5, 2011, 9:05:56 AM3/5/11
3:05 PM here. Starting roguelike as a T-engine module. Name is not yet
set.

Sherm Pendley

Mar 5, 2011, 9:22:19 AM3/5/11
I've accepted a new job in NYC, but haven't finalized the starting date
and my travel plans, so I *may* have to bail out and start packing. But
what the heck, I'm gonna start anyway. :-)

It's 9:20AM local, and my (unnamed) RL will be in Objective-C, use SDL,
and will be based on the old Robots/Daleks game with an added twist or
two.

sherm--

--
Sherm Pendley
<http://camelbones.sourceforge.net>

Oohara Yuuma

Mar 5, 2011, 9:29:01 AM3/5/11
I participate in the 7DRL challenge this year.
I will use the following codes:
* the 7DRL I wrote last year
http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/last-of-candle/index.html
* digital FOV with recursive shadowcasting, which was posted
here last year
http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/digital-fov/index.html
* basic room-and-corridor dungeon generator, which was posted
a few days ago
http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/r-and-c/index.html
The time now is Sat, 05 Mar 2011 23:26:20 +0900.

wiglud

Mar 5, 2011, 9:40:55 AM3/5/11
Getting started this evening on Mad Mage, a game to subvert the
Identify minigame. c++, curses

Nate

Mar 5, 2011, 10:20:11 AM3/5/11
I will be starting my 7DRL (Kepler-10b) this evening @ 5pm

You can find it announced with it's storyline here...

http://7drl.org/2011/03/05/kepler-10b/

Kevin Mees

Mar 5, 2011, 10:58:04 AM3/5/11
4:48pm here. starting my 7DRL NRogue now. I will be using C# and WPF
for the gui. won't get too fancy though since there aren't any
good .NET RL libs and its my first RL,so i will mostly focus on
getting it done.

Ciarán Walsh

Mar 5, 2011, 10:58:17 AM3/5/11
It's about 4pm and I’m just now deciding to have a crack at this, so I
don't yet have a plan! But it will probably be using C++ and the tcod
library, and most likely without any complex AI as it’s my first
roguelike.

Perdurabo

Mar 5, 2011, 11:02:28 AM3/5/11

Libtcod has a .NET version which is rather splendid.

Best,
D.

Geoffrey White

Mar 5, 2011, 11:52:05 AM3/5/11
> My entry is going to be Gourmancer, a short-ish roguelike about being
> what you eat.

This sounds like fun. Good luck!

- Geoffrey White

purplearcanist

Mar 5, 2011, 12:05:37 PM3/5/11
I am doing a time traveling rl, and it is on the blog. I will
probably start on sunday. I am using some predeveloped code. And
pointers in C++ are hard!

gabriel arthur petrie

Mar 5, 2011, 1:13:49 PM3/5/11
gabriel arthur petrie <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in.
>
> Glad to see I'm not the only person who'll get a late start, also on
> Monday. I'll use the next two days to try and have a

I rwad that the rules this year state you can start any time saturday or
sunday and finish 168 hours later. If that's the case i am offiially
starting at the latest possible time sunday night. I dpnt have a PC and
its going to be monkeys up the ass busy in college this week, and
saturday and sunday will be my only actual moments of extended periods
of time available to code. My total time where i can spend five or more
hours coding without interruption equals thirty seven hours. I wonder if
thats comparable to others' schedules?

hopefully the simplifications ive settled on will make the game doable
in the limited time i have. im going to springboard off my kobold mines
version 2x3 for windows code, so control handling and output wont need
to be recoded. Im doing it all in C using PSPad and MimGW, the standard
windows library and i think my own ansi graphic curses replacement but
cant remember (havent seen 2x3 in some time).

One thing ill do to simplify is use memory like normal people do.
Instead of cramming bits ill be giving myself room to breath. That frees
me from having to write dozens of lines of bit-manipulating code just to
shave a few K off the map data. If there is unused space ill just let it
fly and use it in a sequel, or beefier post-contest version, or other
game.

Antoine

Mar 5, 2011, 1:42:23 PM3/5/11

OK, what's the gimmick?

A.

Tanthie

Mar 5, 2011, 1:45:28 PM3/5/11
It's Saturday, 20:45 (GMT+2) and I have started on my 7DRL: Life of a
Dragon.

You play as a dragon, trying survive from a mere wyrmling all the way
to a great wyrm. The activities of a dragon's life are many, for two
millennia is a long time. Deal with pesky adventurers, fend off other
dragons invading your territory, and, of course, gather a huge hoard
of riches in your home lair.

I'm coding in C++ and using libtcod.

I'll try to post about my progress on my blog during the week.
http://dowhilecompiling.blogspot.com

Akhier

Mar 5, 2011, 2:11:04 PM3/5/11
Seems like I did not miss it this year. I am in and plan to use C#
to make my roguelike "The Soul Lord"

RedboneBit

Mar 5, 2011, 2:54:52 PM3/5/11
11:55 here, starting roguelike in Game Maker 8.

Peregrinus

Mar 5, 2011, 2:57:47 PM3/5/11
2 friends and I are beginning our 7DRL at 2:00PM. We are doing it
using C++ and pdcurses and developing on Win7 and OSX. It's going to
be called MonsterEnthrallerRL.

Geoffrey White

Mar 5, 2011, 3:37:19 PM3/5/11
> You play as a dragon, trying survive from a mere wyrmling all the way
> to a great wyrm. The activities of a dragon's life are many, for two
> millennia is a long time. Deal with pesky adventurers, fend off other
> dragons invading your territory, and, of course, gather a huge hoard
> of riches in your home lair.

Sounds interesting - I will look forward to it.

- Geoffrey White

James Meickle

Mar 5, 2011, 3:40:36 PM3/5/11
Starting my 7DRL now. It's called Glyph, and is made in Java. You'll
spell out sequences of magical letters on items/objects to affect
their stats.

DNewhall

Mar 5, 2011, 4:24:06 PM3/5/11
First time trying this and I'm determined to finish it. I have no name
as of yet, but it's going to be written as a KornShell93 (ksh) script
for two reasons: 1) so it can run on any system that has ksh
installed, and 2) I like it when people look at my programming ideas
and go "Ewwww...."

Furi

Mar 5, 2011, 4:53:41 PM3/5/11
Oh, man. I forgot to post here. The start of my development was about
1:00 AM March 4th (yes, I got really anxious, sorry).
More info here:
http://7drl.org/2011/03/05/3drl-7-day-roguelike-challenge-challenge/

Kristopher Saxton

Mar 5, 2011, 4:57:11 PM3/5/11
Greetings all,

We've (Jason Makay and K. Drew Saxton) just started our 7DRL project
tentatively entitled "Scavenger: Throat Cutting for Fun and Profit."
The player gathers treasure on an active battlefield while outwitting
or defeating other scavengers and the wounded soldiers of the engaged
armies.

Currently we primarily use Python and Pygame for development.

jplur

Mar 5, 2011, 5:20:03 PM3/5/11
5:20 pm here

GridFolk will be a multiplayer roguelike. I'll be using python,
libtcod, and podSixNet python TCP library. My goal will be to make a
crafting/building world with a focus on PVP interaction.

Adam Gatt

Mar 5, 2011, 5:35:09 PM3/5/11
As you wind through the dark corridors you hear a now-familiar voice
booming to you. "Adventurer, you have come to your death! I have
decided to make kobolds breathe fire now. Oh, and they leave trails of
corrosive acid as well. Also, I've given them a hive mind; why not?
Have fun, adventurer!". Normally this wouldn't bother you, since you
already fought past the nest of kobolds and they were a push over, but
ever since the walls literally melted and rearranged around you,
you're not so sure that you won't see them again. And this time, it's
going to be a whole lot harder.

I will be beginning work on my 7DRL at 11AM Sunday morning (Adelaide
time). I will be writing it in C++ and libtcod. My game is called God
of Change, where species of monsters begin as blank canvasses that
interesting and powerful traits are randomly assigned to by an evil
god.

Joseph Bradshwe

Mar 5, 2011, 6:20:31 PM3/5/11
I'm making CardRL, a remake of the original Rogue as a card game.
Experimental. I was burning out a bit on coding so decided to take a
break and do this.
It's a lot of fun. I have the rules outline completed and am working
on the cards.

-JO

elig

Mar 5, 2011, 6:55:10 PM3/5/11
Announcing my 7DRL: FarmCraft!

Can you survive tornados, fires, and disease to build a successful
farm? Farm your way to victory in FarmCraft! Till the earth, plant
crops, and sell your accomplishments to upgrade your farm.

FarmCraft will be available as shareware for Windows, and the full
version will cost 97 cents.

wiglud

Mar 5, 2011, 7:12:35 PM3/5/11
On Mar 5, 8:40 am, wiglud <mwig...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Getting started this evening on Mad Mage, a game to subvert the
> Identify minigame.  c++, curses

Starting Mad Mage as of 6 PM US Central time. Development log at
www.wiglud.com

Todd Carnes

Mar 5, 2011, 7:20:48 PM3/5/11
On 03/05/2011 01:13 PM, gabriel arthur petrie wrote:
> im going to springboard off my kobold mines version 2x3 for windows
> code, so control handling and output wont need to be recoded.

This is not aimed at you personally, Gabriel, but I noticed that many of
the people who say they are going to play are going to be using old work
that they have already been working on, re-working last years entry, etc.

My question is... "What's the point?"

I thought the whole idea was to write a rogue-like in 7 days from
scratch. If you are starting out with a codebase that you have already
been working in, it almost seems like cheating. I mean, it's not
*really* a 7 day rogue-like, if you've been working on it since last
year. Is it?

Please don't take it personal, it's not meant to be, my question is for
everyone who is not starting from scratch.

Why bother, if you're not going to follow the rules?

Just curious,

Todd

patxor

Mar 5, 2011, 7:42:41 PM3/5/11
On 5/03/2011 6:46 AM, Darren Grey wrote:
> Last year the newsgroup got a tad flooded by announcement posts. This
> year I propose that everyone reply to this thread with their
> announcements, so we can keep track of entrants a little easier.
>
> Or ignore this and make your own thread :P Best of luck to everyone
> regardless!
>
> --
> Darren Grey

starting sunday 11am australian eastern time with python and libtcod!

Perdurabo

Mar 5, 2011, 8:15:19 PM3/5/11

In my own case, I've already got a @ walking about a map (about 200
loc), and I'm using the competition as a much needed kick up the arse.

P.

Legend of Angband

Mar 5, 2011, 8:56:42 PM3/5/11
Saturday 8:45PM EST now. I will attempt a roguelike called JSRL. It
will be written in JavaScript which I am learning.

Goal is to get something to work. A little "@" symbol running around,
with walls, maybe some gold and monsters.

If I get lucky and the basics work, I will extend the goal to provide
10 levels the player must go down to kill the big boss.

Good luck to all. My progress will be posted on my blog -
http://legend-angband.blogspot.com/

- Legend of Angband
legend....@gmail.com

Todd Carnes

Mar 5, 2011, 9:44:56 PM3/5/11
On 03/05/2011 08:15 PM, Perdurabo wrote:
> In my own case, I've already got a @ walking about a map (about 200
> loc), and I'm using the competition as a much needed kick up the arse.

That makes sense. :)

AstralCalculus

Mar 5, 2011, 10:03:47 PM3/5/11
It's 11PM AST, Saturday night... and I'm doing this!
I'll be using Lua, LÖVE, PÄSSION, and lots and lots of Coca-Cola.

Jeff Lait

Mar 5, 2011, 11:22:05 PM3/5/11
On Mar 5, 1:42 pm, Antoine <antoine.from.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 1:48 am, Jeff Lait <jml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's 7:45 AM EST and I'm about to embark on my 7DRL.
>
> > I'm taking a break from art-oriented non-roguelikes to push for
> > something completely traditional.  There exists a dungeon.  You go
> > into it to kill the vicious orcs.  That is all.
>
> > Title: Vicious Orcs  (Not to be confused with the slow moving Viscous
> > Orcs)
> > Engine: libtcod + Smart Kobold
>
> OK, what's the gimmick?

Considering my track record, I guess I deserve that :>

Anyways, a good first day done! I think I have a big portion of the
technical component of the game roughed in. Hopefully by the end of
tomorrow I can focus on balance and polish.

Town portal spell is in and works. Yay! Shopkeepers are proof-of-
concepted (Sorry, Crawl style, not Nethack) and need to be fleshed
out. Then itemization and mobization.

Akhier

Mar 5, 2011, 11:50:46 PM3/5/11

I myself am coding almost everything myself with only malison to
help with the displaying it part. If people want to ruin the
experience for themselves by not making a new game in 7 days that is
fine by me. Honestly though from my point of view the fun of this is
making a game from scratch while knowing that others are doing it with
you and against you. Then again I think losing is !!FUN!! and don't
mind if I do not manage to make it all the way because at least I
tried my best. I have my "@" moving and my code compiling so what if
others don't want to share the experience with me.

Numeron

Mar 6, 2011, 12:22:30 AM3/6/11
Ive been a roguelike dev since i left uni 4 and a half years ago now. Ive

On Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:20:46 PM UTC+10:30, Akhier wrote:

> On Mar 5, 7:20 pm, Todd Carnes <toddc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is not aimed at you personally, Gabriel, but I noticed that many of
> > the people who say they are going to play are going to be using old work
> > that they have already been working on, re-working last years entry, etc.
> >
> > My question is... "What's the point?"
> >

> I myself am coding almost everything myself with only malison to
> help with the displaying it part. If people want to ruin the
> experience for themselves by not making a new game in 7 days that is
> fine by me.

Ive been a roguelike dev for 4 and a half years now - Ive pumped out enough @ walking around games and feature test demos that when it comes time to make something from scratch... again... all that the 7drl becomes is a challenge to myself to see how fast I can reinvent the wheel.

I want to make game in 7 days, not hammer out the same code I have 1000 times over.

-Numeron

Karies

Mar 6, 2011, 2:33:25 AM3/6/11
I would like to finish a roguelike in java! I will try my best.
I want to have an urban environment in my game. Probably not ascii

Ido Yehieli

Mar 6, 2011, 3:55:26 AM3/6/11
On 03/06/2011 00:55 , elig wrote:

> FarmCraft will be available as shareware for Windows, and the full
> version will cost 97 cents.

Why 97?

Friedrich Hanisch

Mar 6, 2011, 5:00:12 AM3/6/11
On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 21:46:05 +0100, Darren Grey <darrenj...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Last year the newsgroup got a tad flooded by announcement posts. This
> year I propose that everyone reply to this thread with their
> announcements, so we can keep track of entrants a little easier.

Jana Reinhardt and me now start to develop our entry. It's 11:00 AM,
Sunday, here in Germany. We use Unity3D as the game engine, so it will
have 3D graphics. We are inspired by some board games, like Carcassonne or
Hero Quest, and want to capture this feeling.
As this is our first roguelike ever we're really eager to see where we
will get with this in seven days only! It's also the reason why our game
will be a pretty basic roguelike: You play a dwarf in a mine, killing
monsters as you delve deeper and uncover the strange things that are going
on. Name is not yet decided.

There won't be "giant rats" in our game.

Regards,
Friedrich

Friedrich Hanisch

Mar 6, 2011, 5:06:40 AM3/6/11
On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:00:12 +0100, Friedrich Hanisch
<f.ha...@online.de> wrote:
> There won't be "giant rats" in our game.

I forgot to mention that I will reuse some generic code, like an
implementation of A*, from older projects. Nothing serious, because, as I
said, this is our first roguelike.

Regards,
Friedrich

--
http://www.fholio.de

corremn

Mar 6, 2011, 5:41:29 AM3/6/11
Ok I will announce that I am starting a 7drl but I wont start until
Monday. So I guess I have until the end of the comp to get something
going.

Title: Inversion of Control

Plot: You are a small dog/cat. You lead you feeble human "master" into
the dungeon for some TBA reason. Basically you help him kill stuff,
find items for him, steal from shops for him and basically keep him
alive. Hopefully you can keep fed and grow bigger.

Lets see how far I get this time. Troll Slayer was written in 4 days.
Hopefully I will have at least 5 days to work on this :)

Darren Grey

Mar 6, 2011, 5:51:02 AM3/6/11
On Mar 6, 12:20 am, Todd Carnes <toddcar...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't think you should get caught up on "rules". This is after all
for fun and personal accomplishment. Many of the games produced in
the past ain't exactly roguelikes either.

Besides, the rules do say you can use existing code if you wish.
Almost everyone that's written a roguelike before (or started writing
one) will use existing code. Even those that haven't worked on a game
before might use existing public code or things like libtcod. It
saves time doing the nitty gritty and helps you get onto the fun part
of real game design.

--
Darren Grey

Anaël Verrier

Mar 6, 2011, 6:01:00 AM3/6/11
It will be the first time I write a roguelike. I am not new to this game
type, but I have never tried to write one. I think it will be very
interesting especially because I will start from nothing. I just have
emacs and python.

I will try to follow the "How to Write a Roguelike in 15 Steps" guide as
much as I can.

I already found a name for the game (I can't write code for a project
without a name): "Anauroch". I still have to write it.

I am starting right now (Sunday, 11h00 UTC).

Good luck to other participants (and don't forget to sleep).

Krice

Mar 6, 2011, 6:01:45 AM3/6/11
On 6 maalis, 02:20, Todd Carnes <toddcar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought the whole idea was to write a rogue-like in 7 days from
> scratch. If you are starting out with a codebase that you have already
> been working in, it almost seems like cheating.

It's ok, because there are no winners in this contest, only losers.
I think very few actually start from scratch. They have tools to
help and above all, experience.

Ralph Versteegen

Mar 6, 2011, 6:16:17 AM3/6/11
Jabber and I are entering our first 7drl, a post-apocalyptic survival
graphical RL. Officially started 14 minutes ago (midnight Monday, +13
GMT) -- not actually started yet.

The game is being coded in Python + Pygame, built on top of Gummworld
(http://sites.google.com/site/gummworld/).

TMC

elig

Mar 6, 2011, 6:19:59 AM3/6/11

7 for the 7DRL. <$1 because it's a simple game made in 7 days for a
competition, so I don't feel right in charging more :)

Ido Yehieli

Mar 6, 2011, 7:23:27 AM3/6/11
On 03/06/2011 05:50 , Akhier wrote:
> If people want to ruin the
> experience for themselves by not making a new game in 7 days that is
> fine by me.

Good thing you are not being at all judgmental about it either.

Ralph Versteegen

Mar 6, 2011, 7:37:00 AM3/6/11

It turns out that Gummworld2 0.1.0 was released 6 days ago! Will be
using that instead. At least my co-developer was drawing graphics
while I was wasting time!

Michael Dürwald

Mar 6, 2011, 8:04:15 AM3/6/11
I'm starting now the entry @ 14:00 MEZ. I'm developing the game using
java and it will be sci-fi themed.I'm reusing general code like a point
class, random number generator, bresenham and some generic patterns.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 12:46:05 -0800, Darren Grey wrote:

> Last year the newsgroup got a tad flooded by announcement posts. This
> year I propose that everyone reply to this thread with their
> announcements, so we can keep track of entrants a little easier.

Jeff Lait

Mar 6, 2011, 8:29:30 AM3/6/11
On Mar 5, 7:20 pm, Todd Carnes <toddcar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why bother, if you're not going to follow the rules?

I thought the rules were clear on this point:

Quote:
Can I use external libraries? Graphics files? Design Documents? Code I
wrote in the past? Existing roguelikes?

This is entirely up to the developer.

It is recommended one has some design idea going into the project.

You should say what pre-existing code you used. The goal isn't to see
who can retype existing algorithms the fastest. The goal is for people
to write playable and complete roguelikes.

Remember: if you spend seven days patching NetHack, you likely will
end up with something that looks a lot like NetHack, so it would thus
not be considered very impressive. However, if you spend seven days
patching NetHack and create an amazing new roguelike, you will be
suitably honoured.

To be specific, writing a new ToME module in seven days would be a
7DRL.
End Quote:

> Just curious,

Thank you for asking, I do appreciate your query! It does seem a
common misconception that we're about some ultra-macho "Code Big Code
Fast!" approach. Our goal is not to prove how much or how fast we are
to code. Probably would be better to have a 24 hour roguelike or
similar for that.

The goal is for people to:

a) make roguelikes
b) finish roguelikes

The first is self evident - a challenge gives a kick in the pants to
actually write a roguelike, something lots of people mean to do "one
day". And seven days is long enough for one to write a roguelike from
scratch in.

The second addresses the usual roguelike problem of them requiring
infinite work after they are made. The idea is to make a complete,
new, game that is polished and done and requires no more work from the
author. (Of course, inevitably, there are patches - but those are a
sign one didn't make this goal)

So, when it comes to code reuse? Reuse! Don't waste time typing. If
we made people retype their LOS, pathfinding, panel display, message
wrapping, shout casting, portal building code every release, they'd
keep creating new bugs and problems, rather than fixing the ones with
the previous engine. They'd also be less able to spend time making
polished roguelikes as they'd be spending it on rote technicalities.
Thus, the challenge rules try to be clear about this.

If you can think of how to make it clearer, feel free to make a
suggestion!

Joshua Day

Mar 6, 2011, 10:10:38 AM3/6/11
> Last year the newsgroup got a tad flooded by announcement posts. This
> year I propose that everyone reply to this thread with their
> announcements, so we can keep track of entrants a little easier.

I am starting work on Rook. It is 11:15 PM here. I am using C and
ncurses, with a small chunk of color initialization rigmarole that I
drag from project to project as a starting point.

The game will forbid all moves that lead to death within a turn.
Failure will result, as in chess, only from the exhaustion of all valid
moves. Other than the extended failure condition, the game will
function like a roguelike, having items, hitpoints, and permadeath.

--
Joshua Day

Jimmy Åberg

Mar 6, 2011, 11:16:07 AM3/6/11
...Announcing participation in 7DRL 2011...
Project name: A1RL
Developer: jimmy aberg
Plattform: .NET (C#/F#)
Libs: PDCurses (or libtcod)

Perdurabo

Mar 6, 2011, 12:42:36 PM3/6/11
On Mar 5, 12:13 pm, Perdurabo <perdurab...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 4, 8:46 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Last year the newsgroup got a tad flooded by announcement posts.  This
> > year I propose that everyone reply to this thread with their
> > announcements, so we can keep track of entrants a little easier.
>
> > Or ignore this and make your own thread  :P  Best of luck to everyone
> > regardless!
>
> > --
> > Darren Grey
>
> Ah sod it, I'll take part. :p
>
> I've been bumbling about a new RL for a year or so now without getting
> much done in it other than a @ walking around a map. So I should take
> this opportunity to actually write the damn thing.
>
> It will be a trad roguelike, called Stygia, inspired somewhat by
> Frozen Depths, BRogue and Crawl, and I'll be starting it TOMORROW @
> noon UK time.
>
> I'll be using C# & Libtcod.
>
> P.

Due to it being a nice sunny day, and footie being on, I decided not
to start until 6pm UK time (i.e. in 19 mins time).

You can follow my progress at http://stygiaroguelike.wordpress.com/

P.

Message has been deleted

radek

Mar 6, 2011, 1:49:22 PM3/6/11
Hello!
It is 19:45 PM here. Starting project "Alamut"...
I am using Borland 5.02 compiler and C language.
Good luck to all of you!
--
Radzio

gabriel arthur petrie

Mar 6, 2011, 1:53:31 PM3/6/11
Todd Carnes <toddc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/05/2011 01:13 PM, gabriel arthur petrie wrote:
> > im going to springboard off my kobold mines version 2x3 for windows
> > code, so control handling and output wont need to be recoded.
>
> This is not aimed at you personally, Gabriel, but I noticed that many
> of
> the people who say they are going to play are going to be using old
> work
> that they have already been working on, re-working last years entry,
> etc.
>
> My question is... "What's the point?"

Really now Todd, if that's how you feel:

1. Dont use libraries or includes someone else has written
2. Dont use a mnemonic someone else designed
3. Dont borrow from a game that somebody else borowed frim numerous
times an made a whole genre out of it

No, really, if you want to draw a line draw it closer to home: dont come
at me personally over something you insist is impersonal. If your
instincts tell you to pick it with someone else, just do so.

The lack of logic in your attack barely astounds me.

--
blaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahaaaahaaahah

gabriel arthur petrie

Mar 6, 2011, 1:53:55 PM3/6/11
Kristopher Saxton <kristopher....@gmail.com> wrote:

> The player gathers treasure on an active battlefield while outwitting
> or defeating other scavengers and the wounded soldiers of the engaged
> armies.

This sounds epic. I really want to play this when its done.

--
blaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahaaaahaaahah

Risto Saarelma

Mar 6, 2011, 2:05:31 PM3/6/11
It's 19:00 UTC, 2011-03-06. I am starting a game with the working title
Helltank, using the Factor programming language.

jlund3

Mar 6, 2011, 2:40:36 PM3/6/11
I've wanted to participate in the 7drl contest for a few years now but
school always seems to get in the way. I just got accepted to grad
school so I don't foresee the next few years being any better so I
figure I might as well take a stab at it now. Hopefully I can make the
time to actually finish something. That said I will place my school
projects and research as my first priority so I wouldn't be the least
bit surprised if I don't make it past the famous walking @ demo.

Anyways, I'm planning on doing a capture the flag roguelike. Each
player will have a few stats that affect movement and chance to be
captured, and you'll get to choose your teammates. Once (if) I get the
basics of the game working, the interesting part will be the AI. I
plan on using potential fields to control all the computer players. If
I get really ambitious I might code up some genetic algorithm to learn
the best weights for the fields, but I highly doubt that I'll ever get
that far. I'll be working in Java, drawing upon my own roguelike
library <a href="http://code.google.com/p/jaderogue/">JadeRogue</a>
for most of the roguelike mechanics like field of vision, map
generation, etc. My ultimate goal is to get some interesting multi-
agent AI code out of this that I can then turn around and put into
JadeRogue. Wish me luck!

-Jeff

Vincent Berset

Mar 6, 2011, 3:32:16 PM3/6/11
Goodnews everyone,

Starting now, 21:30 CET, my first roguelike, titled "Schream", write in
Scheme with chicken and ncurces. I'm both scared and excited.

«Que la Lumière soit avec vous!»

Vincent

Filip Dreger

Mar 6, 2011, 4:03:41 PM3/6/11
21:49 in Warsaw. A roguelike, written Java, primary target: common mobile phones (j2me), secondary target - browser (gwt). Using a small utility library of my own, not really targeted at roguelikes.

For a couple of years I wanted to make a pacman roguelike and never got around to it; I know of Tim Pruett's version, but I envision something more roguelikish. I'll see how it goes.

Filip Dreger

Filip Dreger

Mar 6, 2011, 4:08:21 PM3/6/11
> My question is... "What's the point?"

Life shows that the biggest challenge in making a roguelike is actually finishing it. 7drl is meant as a fun exercise in the very act of releasing a playable game. Using premade libraries does not make that part any easier, as proven by last years' results.
Filip Dreger

Nils Fagerburg

Mar 6, 2011, 4:31:00 PM3/6/11
Hi, I'll start my attempt shortly. I'll probably use Python + pygame
and rip chunks of code out of my previous games.

Nils

Nik Coughlin

Mar 6, 2011, 4:53:57 PM3/6/11
On Mar 5, 10:39 pm, Nik Coughlin <nrkn....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Saturday 5th March 10:38pm NZST
>
> Just about to fire up Visual Studio and create a new project.
>
> It will be a homage to Seth Able Robinson's Legend of the Red Dragon.
>
> Good luck everyone!

Well, I have a name and story. Playable demo in the next day or two.

Legend of the Cheese Golem

The village is renowned throughout the lands for its high quality
cheese, sourced from its legendary cheese mines. However the mines are
necessarily far from the village, the dense forest between the village
and the mines being overrun with all manner of dangerous creatures.
Due to the hazards of transporting the cheese back to the village the
local sorceror fashioned a huge golem out of (what else) cheese to
help protect the cheese wagon during its trips to and from the mines.
Unfortunately something went wrong and the golem turned on the
villagers. It now mindlessly guards the cheese mines and the supply
has almost dried up... someone has to do something, and that someone
is you.

https://github.com/nrkn/LosvRL

(LOSV was Legend of the Something Villain, when I hadn't decided what
the villain would be yet)

kaw (development)

Mar 6, 2011, 5:10:20 PM3/6/11
I'll begin work at my 7DRL in about one hour, at the latest possible
legal moment by local time, midnight to Monday, giving me an easy
deadline to remember next weekend.

This year my theme will be lighting as a gameplay element, separate
from FOV. Still haven't thought of a name, but I have a few ideas for
the gameplay. We'll see how it works out.

I'll be working in Common Lisp with libtcod, using Paul Sexton's
bindings. My familiarity with the former is mostly academic, so that
might be interesting. Beyond already having experimented with SBCL to
work out how to use libtcod and produce binaries, I'll be starting
from scratch.

-kaw

Paweł Ślusarczyk

Mar 6, 2011, 5:53:28 PM3/6/11
Hello,
It's Sunday, 23:40, and I'm joining the 7DRL competition for the first
time.
The title of the project is “Piraten” and in this game you are a chief
of a pirate crew which wanders through an archipelago in lust for gold
and fame.
Some things I'd like to include:
–sea ship-to-ship battles on the “wilderness” screen
–on-board melee battles (experimenting with an alternative fight
engine where not only your statistics are taken into account, but also
your moves)
–career style – you start with a small raft and a bound of outlawed
fishermen, then you steal bigger ships, gain new skills, hire more
deadly crew etc.

I'll be using Python with the libtcod library.
What I have before the start is some pre-written code on the main
parts of the game.
Prepare your sabres!

Deaven

Slash

Mar 6, 2011, 6:44:51 PM3/6/11
It's 18:45 GMT-5 and I'm about to embark on my 7DRL.

You are an elite international detective, bad guys do bad things so
you must chase them, leaving a trail of blood behind.That is all.

Title: Elite International Detective
Engine: SERF (http://code.google.com/p/serf-engine/)

--
Slashie
http://slashware.net

corremn

Mar 6, 2011, 7:12:06 PM3/6/11
On Mar 6, 8:41 pm, corremn <corr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok I will announce that I am starting a 7drl but I wont start until
> Monday.  So I guess I have until the end of the comp to get something
> going.
>
> Title: Inversion of Control
>
> Plot: You are a small dog/cat. You lead you feeble human "master" into
> the dungeon for some TBA reason.  Basically you help him kill stuff,
> find items for him, steal from shops for him and basically keep him
> alive. Hopefully you can keep fed and grow bigger.
>
> Lets see how far I get this time. Troll Slayer was written in 4 days.
> Hopefully I will have at least 5 days to work on this :)

Engine: DemiseRL (OpenGL,SDL) + TrollSlayer

Todd Carnes

Mar 6, 2011, 7:42:05 PM3/6/11

I would like to thank Filip and everyone else who took the time to
answer my question.

There were many people who responded, but Filip's quote, above, seems to
pretty much sum it up.

Again, thank you to everyone who responded...

and GOOD LUCK! :)

Todd

Todd Carnes

Mar 6, 2011, 7:50:54 PM3/6/11
On 03/06/2011 01:53 PM, gabriel arthur petrie wrote:
> No, really, if you want to draw a line draw it closer to home: dont come
> at me personally over something you insist is impersonal. If your
> instincts tell you to pick it with someone else, just do so.

I most definitely did *NOT* attack you. In fact, I specifically went out
of my way to explain that I was not directing my question at you
personally, because I didn't want you to take offense.

I could have responded to just about anyone in this thread and the
question would have been the same.

Out of all the people who responded to my question, why are you the only
one who didn't "get it"?

Just the same, I do thank you for taking the time to respond.

Good luck with the contest.

Todd

gabriel arthur petrie

Mar 6, 2011, 8:32:28 PM3/6/11

Heh, heh, heh hehhh... YOu cANt huRT MEE!!
NOT WITH MY... CHEESE HELMET ON!
Not with my.. ChEEsE HELMEt!!

--
blaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahaaaahaaahah

gabriel arthur petrie

Mar 6, 2011, 8:32:26 PM3/6/11

Troll

But ill ring in:

1. Your ideal that i somehow didnt "get it" reflects that you didnt read
my response.my rebuttle was swift and complete. You selectively ignored
it...

2. Selectively as supportedby further evidence that you play-favorite
response wholeheartedly supported your malfeasance. So what.

3. Your a fucking retard. You have extraneous twists and turns upstairs
that you keep intact for the sake of entertainment. Youve wasted my
time. Leave me alone, please. I literally will not spend a further
moment of my life responding to this identity. You're officially looking
at a sock puppet's future.

--
blaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahaaaahaaahah

edenicholas

Mar 6, 2011, 8:32:50 PM3/6/11
On 3/4/2011 12:46 PM, Darren Grey wrote:
> Last year the newsgroup got a tad flooded by announcement posts. This
> year I propose that everyone reply to this thread with their
> announcements, so we can keep track of entrants a little easier.
>
> Or ignore this and make your own thread :P Best of luck to everyone
> regardless!
>
> --
> Darren Grey

"Regicide!" a 7DRL.

For oppression, crimes against humanity, theft, and general
douchebaggery, a fictional king must be brought to justice.

Starting at 17:30 PST (GMT-8). Ripping bits out of last year's attempt,
"Chompy!". Written in C using mingw and libtcod.

Jeff Lait

Mar 6, 2011, 8:39:52 PM3/6/11
On Mar 6, 7:42 pm, Todd Carnes <toddcar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/06/2011 04:08 PM, Filip Dreger wrote:
>
> >> My question is... "What's the point?"
>
> > Life shows that the biggest challenge in making a roguelike is
> > actually finishing it. 7drl is meant as a fun exercise in the very
> > act of releasing a playable game. Using premade libraries does not
> > make that part any easier, as proven by last years' results. Filip
> > Dreger
>
> I would like to thank Filip and everyone else who took the time to
> answer my question.
>
> There were many people who responded, but Filip's quote, above, seems to
> pretty much sum it up.

Yes, it is an excellent quote.

And, thanks to Filip having generously signed the RGRD Wiki Project
(call out to other lurkers: have you signed?) it's been added to the
rule list on Roguebasin.

Todd Carnes

Mar 6, 2011, 9:12:52 PM3/6/11
On 03/06/2011 08:32 PM, gabriel arthur petrie wrote:

[snip]

> Troll
>
> But ill ring in:
>
> 1. Your ideal that i somehow didnt "get it" reflects that you didnt read
> my response.my rebuttle was swift and complete. You selectively ignored
> it...
>
> 2. Selectively as supportedby further evidence that you play-favorite
> response wholeheartedly supported your malfeasance. So what.
>
> 3. Your a fucking retard. You have extraneous twists and turns upstairs
> that you keep intact for the sake of entertainment. Youve wasted my
> time. Leave me alone, please. I literally will not spend a further
> moment of my life responding to this identity. You're officially looking
> at a sock puppet's future.

whatever

It is loading more messages.