7DRL Success: Steel Knights

psy_wombats

Mar 18, 2012, 5:55:23 PM3/18/12
Alright, didn't sleep a whole lot this week, but the game is done!

http://wombatrpgs.net/facebook/sdrl/
(no it doesn't run on facebook)

"Steel Knights" by psy_wombats (WombatRPGs) and Enker (Cascade Studios). Some code reused from my last year's 7DRL "Deep Realm Heroes." Graphics all original by Enker.

Game features a sci-fi setting, full graphics, 3 different dungeons, 4 bosses, 30 enemies, plenty of guns, a highscore table, and a short (optional) story written by Enker that updates as you travel the dungeon. We both sunk a /lot/ of time on this and I'm really glad we were able to get it done.

Controls are all in an in-game manual, along with the first parts of the story.

--------------------------------

You wake from the peaceful slumber of cryo and stumble out onto the cold metal floor of the Staging Point. Outside the reinforced windows the darkness of deep space can be seen highlighted against the deep red colour of a barren world. Your S.K. suit insulates you against the chill as the ships systems begin to come to life around you, bringing up the lights and activating the myriad of consoles and computer screens around you.

The pair of you have a simple brief, split across three locations. Discover what has happened onboard the Thunderchild. Locate the whereabouts of the crew and deal with whatever the source of the issue could be. This is what you do, and you’re well trained for it. All that remains is to pick where the best place is to begin your mission.

Ryan Szrama

Mar 18, 2012, 9:20:26 PM3/18/12
Not sure if it's the hotel wi-fi I'm on or a problem w/ the applet, but it wouldn't run for me after loading. Just hung on the menu screen flickering regardless of what I clicked or what key I pressed. Perhaps I wasn't patient enough on keypress - is there some sort of background loading time I should've waited through?

Playing from Chrome on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

-Ryan

IBOL

Mar 18, 2012, 10:30:56 PM3/18/12
took a long time to load (i'm at work...) but it eventually did (i
walked away and came back)
played till i died, and i really liked the graphics! also having a few
choices at the start of the game was nice.
seemed like some good depth to it. ;)

psy_wombats

Mar 19, 2012, 1:59:12 AM3/19/12
No, this is an issue on my end... I'm having problems where on non-Windows OS, the applet won't accept keyboard input. I know I've solved this problem before for last year's 7DRL but I can't seem to get it this time. If anyone's familiar with the issue help would be great.

Otherwise, I'm packaging up a desktop version that should at least provide a workaround.

Swishtail

Mar 23, 2012, 10:57:00 PM3/23/12
Neat game.

I do get a repeatable crash error when hitting the "I" key when already on the inventory screen.

mbue...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2012, 4:41:43 PM10/10/12
I'm interested in playing this, but it won't accept keyboard input at the main screen. Any thoughts?