7DRL:

dto1138

Mar 7, 2010, 10:08:34 PM3/7/10
to dto...@gmail.com
** About the entrant

I am David O'Toole and I program games in Common Lisp. My blog is at
http://lispgamesdev.blogspot.com, where I will be making daily
progress reports.

** Re-use declaration

For my entry I will be re-using my own Common Lisp game engine called
XE2 (see http://dto.github.com/notebook/xe2-reference.html for
details.) Among its features are support for grid-based worlds of
interacting objects, sprites, basic lighting and field-of-view, sound,
and other useful code.

Aside from the XE2 library itself, all game logic and assets (sound,
images) will be original and produced during the 7 days of the
challenge.

** Start time

11:59 PM on Sunday March 7 2010, US Eastern Time.

** Game concept

In this roguelike you control a tank pilot who can enter and exit
different tank vehicles. The tank can fire sound waves in 8
directions. There are square waves, sine waves, and sawtooth
waves. You select which wave to fire with the Z, X, C keys. The
numeric keypad and/or nethack keys are used for choosing a direction
to move in. Either CONTROL or ALT, combined with a directional key, to
fire the currently selected waveform in that direction.

To eliminate enemy bullets, fire the corresponding wave types at
them. Other activities involve firing waves at oscillators to turn
them on and off. Combining tones can unlock puzzle elements and create
chords. Oscillators have a number frequency or note attached.

Some waves must be identified by sound alone.

The pilot can disembark from the tank and even take over other tanks,
and there are certain areas where the tank cannot go. The pilot is
extremely vulnerable, and has only one hit point.

Death is permanent, the game ends when you run out of hit points.

The goal is to defeat all the enemies and unlock all the gates.

dto1138

Mar 8, 2010, 9:07:44 AM3/8/10
Just a followup with some additional information.

1. My IRC name is "dto".
2. My game is called XIOTANK
3. XIOTANK will be released on Linux, Macintosh, and Windows (also
source code.) However, because I rely on a busy friend :) to make the
Windows and Mac builds, I can only promise the Linux binary and source
code at the end of my 7 day challenge. I should have Win and Mac
versions ready soon after that (within a day or two methinks.)

Great to see all the creative entries!