7DRL success: Professional Sword Tester the Roguelike

Oohara Yuuma

Mar 17, 2012, 9:43:22 AM3/17/12
I wrote a 7DRL: Professional Sword Tester the Roguelike:
http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/psttrl/index.html
the README file:
http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/psttrl/README-20120317.txt

It was uploaded at Sat, 17 Mar 2012 22:29:25 +0900.
The Challenge began at Sat, 10 Mar 2012 22:42:58 +0900.
Yes, it took more than 167 hours.

Note that:
* Only the source code is available. You have to compile it
with gcc and ncurses.
* Please read README before playing. You usually lose only
1 hit point when you are attacked, but it doesn't mean that
the attack is not dangerous.
* Gaining too much level may be bad for your health.

summary of development
day 1: stripped my last 7DRL, merged dungeon generator,
added do-nothing items
day 2: added pick-up, drop
day 3: added wield, basic combat
day 4: added stat display; abandoned experience system plan
day 5: added creature description, view-player, throw-weapon,
post-move attack, advanced combat, preliminary dungeon,
many creatures and weapons; abandoned scroll item plan
day 6: added victory condition, empty slot bonus, polymorph-self,
descend-and-gain-level, more creatures and weapons
day 7: added real dungeon, more creatures and weapons, README

IBOL

Mar 17, 2012, 9:10:23 PM3/17/12
that is such an awesome name,
i keep looking at this.
is there anyway you could actually create and post an exe for people?

Nolithius

Mar 17, 2012, 9:52:20 PM3/17/12
"IBOL" <bobsau...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> that is such an awesome name,
> i keep looking at this.
> is there anyway you could actually create and post an exe for people?

I second this. Binaries are a must, especially with the dozens of games
being released during the challenge.

--
Ebyan "Nolithius" Alvarez-Buylla
http://www.nolithius.com

win

Sep 21, 2012, 6:11:39 PM9/21/12
I have been playing this recently and I think it would be improved by different glyphs for different weapons. Do crits stack? it would be nice if '?' brought up all the commands. What causes me to gain +s, killing creatures? Does it matter which direction an item is held in as long as it is the one that I wield?

Michał Bieliński

Sep 24, 2012, 4:53:44 AM9/24/12
Once upon a time, win wrote thus:
> I have been playing this recently and I think it would be improved
> by different glyphs for different weapons.

You would run out of glyphs soon though. Every weapon is different.
In rare circumstances you can safely say that something is strictly
superior than another thing. Thus grouping weapons in classes would
not work. Unless you had Unicode or tiles.

> Do crits stack?

I cannot remember. However, I highly doubt it.

> it would be nice if '?' brought up all the commands.

Yeah. Readme has exhaustive list.

> What causes me to gain +s, killing creatures?

Only dragons. Killing any dragon gains you a level. Also, descending
two dungeon levels gains you a level. Again, this is all explained
in the readme.

> Does it matter which direction an item is held in as long as it is
> the one that I wield?

No, absolutely not. It would be another dimension to consider if it
was implemented.

--
Michał Bieliński