7DRL Success (for some values of success): Ascent Into the Depths of Beyond

Jaldhar

Mar 18, 2012, 3:38:42 AM3/18/12
At 12:15 am EDT I stopped work on my game, exactly 8 days after I
started. (Last Wednesday was my wedding anniversary on which I did no
work so I am not counting it as part of my 7 days.) Total time spent
on development was about 50 hours as once again work, family and other
boring non-roguelike activities took their toll. Still I'm counting
this as a success as the result is actually playable though not very
interesting at the moment. In a day or two it could actually be quite
playable. Here's the backstory:

The Scarlet Plague overran your village in a day and was gone as
suddenly as
it came. Unlike the lucky ones who had died swiftly albeit screaming
in
torment, you bear no outward signs of disease at present. But you are
marked
for doom just the same. And though you have spent all that remains of
your
fortune in consulting with the finest apothecaries in the land they
have
proved powerless to halt the plagues macabre advance. So you wind
down your
affairs and prepare for death. For it is better to die cleanly by
ones own
hand then to spend the rest of ones days writhing in the hellish agony
that is
the implacable fate of the Red Reaver's victims.

But then from a chance pilgrimage to the Temple of Stars comes a
glimmer of
hope. The oracle who resides there has shown you the location of the
fabled
Depths of Beyond where over 1000 years ago the experiments of a mad
alchemist
went horribly wrong, rending the fabric of reality in ways the sages
of our
times can scarcely fathom. They say magic flows uncontrollably there.
Strange gibbering beasts from unknown dimensions haunt accursed
corridors and
perhaps the unshriven spirit of the alchemist still remains. Even if
not,
some of his potions and philtres surely must survive. And perhaps
from them
may be distilled the cure that you seek. It is a long shot but...what
do you
have to lose?

You can get the code via git from my github repository at
https://github.com/jaldhar/AitDoB. I just noticed I haven't put the
license terms up yet but it will be GPLv3.

Darren Grey

Mar 20, 2012, 3:18:57 PM3/20/12
On Sunday, 18 March 2012 07:38:42 UTC, Jaldhar wrote:
> At 12:15 am EDT I stopped work on my game, exactly 8 days after I
> started. (Last Wednesday was my wedding anniversary on which I did no
> work so I am not counting it as part of my 7 days.)

Uh, we all have real lives you know. A 7DRL is meant to be a 7DRL. I don't think I've had any year where I haven't had at least one day off dedicated to my girlfriend.

Having said that, any chance of a compiled version for Windows?

--
Darren Grey

Jaldhar

Mar 22, 2012, 11:58:48 PM3/22/12
> Uh, we all have real lives you know.  A 7DRL is meant to be a 7DRL.  I don't think I've had any year where I haven't had at least one day off dedicated to my girlfriend.

But then there are those who say any 168 hour period of coding is a
7DRL. So I'm going to go with the definition that makes me look the
least pathetic.

> Having said that, any chance of a compiled version for Windows?

The game is source only at the moment and will remain so until it is
at least minimally interesting to play which will hopefully be soon.
Then I will provide compiled versions though windows will be a little
tricky until I can set up a computer with Windows and matching
development tools. (I'm exclusively a Linux user.)

--
Jaldhar

Darren Grey

Mar 23, 2012, 6:26:06 AM3/23/12
On Friday, 23 March 2012 03:58:48 UTC, Jaldhar wrote:
> > Uh, we all have real lives you know.  A 7DRL is meant to be a 7DRL.  I don't think I've had any year where I haven't had at least one day off dedicated to my girlfriend.
> >

> But then there are those who say any 168 hour period of coding is a
> 7DRL. So I'm going to go with the definition that makes me look the
> least pathetic.

No one says that... Most people get maybe 30 or 40 hours on their game during the week. The rules are very definite - you start, and within 168 hours you finish. If you take time off in the middle that's time lost to you. Similarly to be considered part of the challenge it must be done within the set dates - starting early or finishing late doesn't count. We've always been strict about this in the past, otherwise the definition of a challenge 7DRL gets very messy.

--
Darren Grey

Radomir Dopieralski

Mar 23, 2012, 7:32:10 AM3/23/12
Of course, the only value you actually get from doing it as a part of challenge
and not as a standalone 7drl is the fact that you work together, see other
people struggle and compare experiences. On the other hand, doing it outside
of the contest lets you have much smaller competition...

--
Radomir Dopieralski, sheep.art.pl