7DRL (sorta) complete - Smash Arena

Ed Kolis

Mar 12, 2010, 7:51:45 PM3/12/10

Well, my 7 days are about up... didn't get QUITE what I wanted in there!
But most of it :)

My web host is having some difficulties, so a friend of mine is hosting
this for me...

http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/other/subhosting/edkolis/SmashArena.7z

I'll post the source code and such when my web host comes up again!

Instructions:

This game's written in C#, so you'll need the .NET Framework; it will
probably run in Mono, but I haven't tested that yet!

Move around and attack with the arrow keys; hold shift to move
repeatedly; hold control to attack with your heavy weapon.

Don't forget to buy weapons and armor when you have the chance!

Hopefully the game's winnable... since I didn't get weapon enchantments
in there like I'd hoped, I had to double the strength of all weapons AND
add a new super-powerful one, in order to make the final boss even
remotely possible to kill!

I'd intended to have more weapons too... not just swords, but a few
other categories! Could have probably added them really quickly, but I
want to get this posted before I forget! ;)

Have fun, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Oh, about those damage types...

Smashing - knocks targe back depending on how much damage they've taken
already
Piercing - target's defense is half as effective
Cutting - target's defense is doubled, but anything that manages to
penetrate is doubled! Great vs. unarmored enemies!
Burning - target takes damage 2 turns in a row
Freezing - chance of rendering target immobile for 1 turn (might have
forgotten to actually implement that effect, oops!)
Shocking - reduces defense by 25% for one turn

And in case you're wondering why you're not hitting monsters when you
expect to, it's because actions take place in a random order, so if a
monster and you attack simultaneously, whoever hits first has a chance
to knock the other back, and if that happens, whoever gets knocked back
won't get to fight back!

Darren Grey

Mar 18, 2010, 9:01:48 PM3/18/10
On Mar 13, 12:51 am, Ed Kolis <edko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, my 7 days are about up... didn't get QUITE what I wanted in there!
> But most of it :)

Just beat it on my first go. A bit too easy (especially when you
learn how to properly use meatshields) and far too repetitive for its
length (10 rounds would have been more appropriate), but I like the
knockback effects. Interesting merge of roguelike and smash brothers
game :)

--
Darren Grey

Ed Kolis

Mar 19, 2010, 1:02:56 PM3/19/10
In article <bd2c7a69-4fe3-4669-871e-1d72f3fd0f19
@m37g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>, darrenj...@gmail.com says...

Well, thanks for playing :)

Yeah, I might have made it too easy when I doubled all the weapons'
strengths at the last moment AND added the "animesword"... I'd just
realized that the end boss would have been undefeatable without doing
so, due to his high defense rating! ;)

And you're probably right on the repetitiveness, too... 27 levels was a
bit much! Just wanted to make it longer than Decimation (my 2009 entry),
which had only one level! ;)

Darren Grey

Mar 19, 2010, 1:33:11 PM3/19/10
On Mar 19, 5:02 pm, Ed Kolis <edko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <bd2c7a69-4fe3-4669-871e-1d72f3fd0f19
> @m37g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>, darrenjohng...@gmail.com says...

> > On Mar 13, 12:51 am, Ed Kolis <edko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Well, my 7 days are about up... didn't get QUITE what I wanted in there!
> > > But most of it :)
>
> > Just beat it on my first go.  A bit too easy (especially when you
> > learn how to properly use meatshields) and far too repetitive for its
> > length (10 rounds would have been more appropriate), but I like the
> > knockback effects.  Interesting merge of roguelike and smash brothers
> > game  :)
>
> Well, thanks for playing :)
>
> Yeah, I might have made it too easy when I doubled all the weapons'
> strengths at the last moment AND added the "animesword"... I'd just
> realized that the end boss would have been undefeatable without doing
> so, due to his high defense rating! ;)

Wouldn't have been a major problem - the way I attacked him anyway was
by knocking others into him (direct attacking was very risky with his
hard hits). In earlier fights I didn't realise there was a smash
attack to use, so my only way of damaging certain enemies was by
knocking weaker ones into them. This was probably the most fun
element of the game - added a bit of a tactical side to things.

--
Darren Grey

Geoffrey White

Mar 20, 2010, 6:04:52 AM3/20/10
Interesting game, I wonder if other roguelikes will experiment with
knock back mechanics like this?

- Geoffrey