Fifth Annual Seven Day Roguelike Challenge!

Jeff Lait

Mar 4, 2009, 9:58:57 AM3/4/09
What is a Seven Day Roguelike?

A Seven Day Roguelike is a roguelike created in seven days. This means
the author stopped writing code one hundred and sixty eight hours
after they started writing code.

More details can be found at the RogueBasin article:
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=7DRL

--------------

A Seven Day Roguelike (7DRL) can be written at any time. However, a
general agreement was reached that it would be fun to schedule a
specific week for a challenge. This allows the various authors to know
that others are also desperately tracking down a bad pointer reference
on the 167th hour.

The week for the Seven Day Roguelike Challenge has been chosen!

Within the week of March 7th to March 15th, you are hereby challenged
to write a roguelike in 168 hours!

To participate, follow these simple steps:
1) Any time on March 7th or March 8th (as measured in your time zone),
post to rec.games.roguelike.development that you have started work on
your Seven Day Roguelike.
2) Write a roguelike.
3) After 168 hours, if you have completed a playable roguelike, post
your success to rec.games.roguelike.announce! If not, post your lack
of results to rec.games.roguelike.development, where we will all
commiserate and agree that, given a few scant more hours, it could
have been great.

Good Luck with your Roguelikes!

Message has been deleted

Ido Yehieli

Mar 4, 2009, 10:43:28 AM3/4/09
On Mar 4, 4:23 pm, Graham <gra...@grahamcox.co.uk> wrote:
> One thing that I've never quite worked out is - what happens for those of us
> that have work and the like during the week ---

In other words - what about pretty much everyone that takes part in
the challenge? ;)

You've got a 7 day period - whatever amount of coding time you can
find in that time frame will have to do.

I don't think anybody is actually going to invest 168h on it, since
even the unemployed & retired non-students have to spend some time
sleeping/eating/attending to other such bodily functions.

-Ido.

Sir_Lewk

Mar 4, 2009, 10:49:44 AM3/4/09
> One thing that I've never quite worked out is - what happens for those of us
> that have work and the like during the week and so spending a 7 days actually
> only equates to about 35 hours of programming - that's assuming ~3 hours a day
> on weekdays (7pm -> 10pm isn't far off for me) and a whopping 10 hours on Sat
> and Sun. Would it just be a disadvantage of having less time, or could the
> 7 days be spread out over a longer real-life period?

Well I don't think the rest of us are planning on staying awake and
coding for 168 hours straight (I at least plan on bathing and
eating ;)). You are perfectly welcome to do a 35drl for sure, the one
week limitation isn't meant to be equally challanging for everyone and
may be completely impractical for some.

regards

Martin Read

Mar 4, 2009, 1:48:33 PM3/4/09
Graham <gra...@grahamcox.co.uk> wrote:
>One thing that I've never quite worked out is - what happens for those of us
>that have work and the like during the week and so spending a 7 days actually
>only equates to about 35 hours of programming - that's assuming ~3 hours a day
>on weekdays (7pm -> 10pm isn't far off for me) and a whopping 10 hours on Sat
>and Sun. Would it just be a disadvantage of having less time, or could the
>7 days be spread out over a longer real-life period?

No. You do it in seven consecutive calendar days, just like I did :)
--
\_\/_/ turbulence is certainty turbulence is friction between you and me
\ / every time we try to impose order we create chaos

jice

Mar 4, 2009, 3:34:17 PM3/4/09
On 4 mar, 15:58, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What is a Seven Day Roguelike?
>
> A Seven Day Roguelike is a roguelike created in seven days. This means
> the author stopped writing code one hundred and sixty eight hours
> after they started writing code.
>
> More details can be found at the RogueBasin article:http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=7DRL

In case you're lacking inspiration for your 7DRL, there's a guy named
ataru13 who is building a list of game ideas on roguecentral forums.
All might not be suitable for a 7DRL, but it's still worth checking it
out.
http://roguecentral.free.fr/smf/index.php?board=17.0

--
jice

Timorg

Mar 4, 2009, 10:01:09 PM3/4/09
I haven't posted here (or to any newsgroup) before, so you will have
to excuse me if I have broken any etiquette rules. I will be competing
in this years 7 day roguelike, I will be coding from scratch, as I
have never written a one before. I will be doing the programing, and I
have a friend that is interested in helping design the gameplay. I can
see him bailing, because he cant actually program and he has work.

Anywho, just letting people know I am in, and I wish luck to everyone
who is competing. :)

perdu...@googlemail.com

Mar 5, 2009, 5:32:30 AM3/5/09

I *was* going to take part, and I have an excellent idea all set ready
to go, but I decided I'm going to try and spend the 7 days getting my
own current RL-in-progress (Kharne) to a state where I can actually
release something. So I've set myself a deadline of 15th March to get
v0.01 out, even if it is nothing more than an interactive demo.

Best,
P.

Slash

Mar 5, 2009, 9:03:46 PM3/5/09
On Mar 4, 10:23 am, Graham <gra...@grahamcox.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2009-03-04, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Within the week of March 7th to March 15th, you are hereby challenged
> > to write a roguelike in 168 hours!
>
> One thing that I've never quite worked out is - what happens for those of us
> that have work and the like during the week and so spending a 7 days actually
> only equates to about 35 hours of programming - that's assuming ~3 hours a day
> on weekdays (7pm -> 10pm isn't far off for me) and a whopping 10 hours on Sat
> and Sun. Would it just be a disadvantage of having less time, or could the
> 7 days be spread out over a longer real-life period?

As Ido said, that's pretty much most of the people taking part of the
challenge.

That's actually the fun part of the challenge, having to escape your
office, run home, stay up late trying to do some significant advance,
and then get up early next day to go to the office! (ok.. it may not
actually be very fun :P)

> In particular, in keeping with the wording of "168 hours" I could actually
> manage that by spending ~35 days working on the one 7DRL, but that doesn't
> exactly seem Right :)

Weepy! :D

--
Slashie
http://slashie.net

Jakub Debski

Mar 6, 2009, 9:32:56 AM3/6/09
Jeff Lait was thinking very hard :

> Within the week of March 7th to March 15th, you are hereby challenged
> to write a roguelike in 168 hours!

As I thought I have no time to participate during this particular week,
however I wrote my 7DRL at the beginning of February.
http://www.alamak0ta.republika.pl/settlement.html
Up to version 1.3 it took about 4-5 days of work.
I recommend however to play version 1.4alpha, which is much more
balanced.

regards,
Jakub

Ken Causey

Mar 6, 2009, 3:46:08 PM3/6/09
I'm considering participating. I'm currently investigating developing
for the Android platform. It would be useful to me to participate in
this contest but target the Android platform so I am killing two birds
with one stone. I would certainly intend to release my implementation
as open source, but to make use of it one would have to use the
Android platform. In specific I would be targeting the G1 phone. In
theory anyone could play the game without owning the phone or any
other Android platform by downloading the Android emulator. Would
this be acceptable for submission to this contest?

Jeff Lait

Mar 6, 2009, 4:34:04 PM3/6/09
On Mar 4, 10:01 pm, Timorg <anthonytcass...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't posted here (or to any newsgroup) before, so you will have
> to excuse me if I have broken any etiquette rules. I will be competing
> in this years 7 day roguelike, I will be coding from scratch, as I
> have never written a one before. I will be doing the programing, and I
> have a friend that is interested in helping design the gameplay. I can
> see him bailing, because he cant actually program and he has work.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing your coding stories, or, better
yet, playing the result!
--
Jeff Lait

Jeff Lait

Mar 6, 2009, 4:35:13 PM3/6/09

Since this is a challenge, not a contest, there really isn't any
stringent validation process to worry about. You don't even have to
release source code, though, since it was only a 7 day endeavour, it
is recommended. As for being targeted at a platform no one can play?
No problem! We've had 8bit roguelikes and DS roguelikes as 7DRLs.

Raymond Martineau

Mar 8, 2009, 11:43:09 AM3/8/09
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 06:58:57 -0800 (PST), Jeff Lait
<torespon...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>A Seven Day Roguelike (7DRL) can be written at any time. However, a
>general agreement was reached that it would be fun to schedule a
>specific week for a challenge. This allows the various authors to know
>that others are also desperately tracking down a bad pointer reference
>on the 167th hour.
>
>The week for the Seven Day Roguelike Challenge has been chosen!
>
>Within the week of March 7th to March 15th, you are hereby challenged
>to write a roguelike in 168 hours!
>
>To participate, follow these simple steps:
>1) Any time on March 7th or March 8th (as measured in your time zone),
>post to rec.games.roguelike.development that you have started work on
>your Seven Day Roguelike.

Technically, this is a later announcement, but I stated work about 24
hours ago. In nay case, my previous attempt wasn't a complete waste;
the development pattern I used seemed good enough for a roguelike and
as such I'm following a similar pattern (with a few changes). Also,
I'm recycling the display library.

This time around, I'm using a few more third-party libraries; LibFOV
and Boost.