7(6?)DRL: A Lively Fisting

Jaldhar

Mar 7, 2010, 2:21:38 AM3/7/10
I'm late I know but this is my official announcement to take part in
the 7DRL challenge. My entry "A Lively Fisting" (Explanation of the
name here: http://www.nbc.com/parks-and-recreation/exclusives/murals/sunday-boxing.shtml
Get your minds out of the gutter!) will be written in JavaScript on
Linux as a KDE4 plasmoid. (A small desktop applet.) It will be a
simple combat heavy coffeebreak game inspired by things such as "Solo
Dungeon Bash" (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30009/solo-
dungeon-bash) and "Pocket Dungeon" (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/
42361/pocket-dungeon) though as time permits I will try and add as
many more roguelike elements as I can.

Jaldhar

Mar 9, 2010, 1:56:01 AM3/9/10
Here's where I am. I am still being plagued by the burdens of real
life so most development is taking place after the kids ("It should
have mermaids! And Spiderman!") have gone to sleep. I decided not to
bother with Javascript o I'm back to C++ and ncurses. At this point
my '@' can move across the dungeon which at the moment a very
simplistic 10x10 grid where every space is a 'room'. Rooms are
populated with monsters, treasure and items though at the moment only
the monsters can do anything and by anything I meant fighting. My
combat system is based on Solo Dungeon Bash and pretty challenging I
think. Hopefully by tomorrow, A Lively Fisting will be playable
though I really need to pick up the pace if I want to finish on time.

Jaldhar

Mar 11, 2010, 2:44:00 AM3/11/10
So now I've got combat, I've got basic potions that restore health and
I've got items such as weapons or shields which can affect your combat
stats. Try as I might, I cannot get ncurses to give me a yellow
background for some unfathomable reason. It just comes out brown no
matter what. Ironically, in the next Konsole over, I have the alpine
ncurses-based mua taunting me with a yellow background. I'll look in
its source (yay open source!) to see how its done sometime but for now
brown will have to do.

C++ is proving a joy to work with as always. Ok It's probably just me;
I use it so infrequently, I keep having to relearn how to do multiple
inheritance and abstract base classes each time. I am rather proud of
figuring out how to access class members from a signal handler without
having to look it up.

Now if I can quickly tie up some loose ends, I can spend the last two
days maybe making the dungeon generation more roguelike.