7DRL Success: Domination Empires

Numeron

Mar 12, 2010, 1:47:23 PM3/12/10
Well, I was first to announce my start so I guess its fitting that Im
first to announce my success.

As I noted in my first post I took the week off of work and so I took
the opportunity to really push myself. 12 hours a day, and last night
no sleep, a full 30 hours infront of the computer trying to get it
done on time. Now Im too tired to continue playtesting but it all
seems to be good. There is a problem with the AI occasionally spiking
the time it takes to work, and I think its because if AStar is running
with no solution it fills out. Occasionally you will take a turn and
the game will lag a bit. I had to do a lot of optimisations all over
the board because there are so many creatures all moving at once. The
larger levels that are available run quite slow, but the smaller ones
are fine. Post challenge balancing and bug updates and further
optimisations are likely, but its polished enough as is and I dont
think there are any serious problems.

Anyway I think my result is an unprecedented success, hopefully its a
bit of a showstopper ;)

There is no help screen or scoreboard that i wanted in but the
important keys are displayed on the interface, and you can live
without knowing how many kills everyone has made...

Domination Empires:
Long past are the days of minor internal squabbles that were the
tribulations of the coloured blobs fighting over small rooms as in
last years 7drl, Domination. The fighting has spilled out into the
lands and your goal is to take your horde of whatever they are and
paint the lands the colour of your choice. Capture areas next to yours
by standing on the flag at the centre of that area. First capture all
of the enemy base points wins. You can schedule buildings to be
constructed in areas and once youve seleced a place and building via
the menu you can see how long before it will appear by looking on the
world map. Buildings mostly upgrade the army native to the area they
are built in, but some - like the graveyard allow you to respawn there
if its closer than your home base. Each area has defenders which can
be distinguished by the shield symbol they display, attackers which
display the letter of the area they are from, and a leader which wears
a crown. Attackers will for the most part follow their leader.

Started: 12:30pm Sat 06-Mar-2009 (GMT+9:30)
Ended: 08:00pm Fri 12-Mar-2009 (GMT+9:30)

Get it here! A couple of screenshots available, Im too tired to make
more! Proper help text some other time!

www.users.on.net/~rossn

-Numeron

Ysgard

Mar 12, 2010, 2:21:12 PM3/12/10
On my system, it hangs on the 'Numeron Reactor' loading screen. I'm on
a Windows 7 x64 machine with Java 1.6.

I'm not sure why it's complaining it's out of memory, I'm running it on
my work machine, which has 12Gb of RAM (10Gb free).

The console reports the following:

c:\Users\Wyvern\Desktop\DominationEmpires>java -jar DominationEmpires.jar
at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Unknown Source)
at
java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknow
n Source)
at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(Unknown Source)
at ImageLoader.rotateImage(ImageLoader.java:41)
at Main.<init>(Main.java:45)
at Main.main(Main.java:9)

Cheers,

Ysgard

Ed Kolis

Mar 12, 2010, 4:47:03 PM3/12/10
Wow! Very impressive! :D

*recommends this game to all his friends who might be into turn-based
strategy* ;)

I did find a bug though... I cast teleport, and when I chose a
destination, the game completely froze up on me... :(

Numeron

Mar 12, 2010, 5:00:46 PM3/12/10
On Mar 13, 5:21 am, Ysgard <ysg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On my system, it hangs on the 'Numeron Reactor' loading screen.  I'm on
> a Windows 7 x64 machine with Java 1.6.
>
> I'm not sure why it's complaining it's out of memory, I'm running it on
>   my work machine, which has 12Gb of RAM (10Gb free).

I was afraid that might happen, Its not your memory its the amount
allocated to the java virtual machine. The reason that it blows there
is because I preload, cut up, and pre-rotate all the images internally
so that displaying them is faster. It takes in total more than the
meagre amount given initially.

I have included a bat file that contains the command for running the
game, increasing the heap size. In windows this file can be run
directly, unix and mac im out of my knowledge zone, someone might have
to help me...

Hopefully that fixes it :)

-Numeron

George Oliver

Mar 12, 2010, 5:59:35 PM3/12/10
On 3/12/2010 10:47 AM, Numeron wrote:
> Well, I was first to announce my start so I guess its fitting that Im
> first to announce my success.

Looks totally sweet Numeron, awesome job! (of course, I'll have more
time to play it tomorrow :D )

purplearcanist

Mar 12, 2010, 6:26:00 PM3/12/10
On Mar 12, 11:47 am, Numeron <irunsofastineedafinonmyh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

You have gone above and beyond what I have expected. Thanks.

purplearcanist

Mar 12, 2010, 6:40:21 PM3/12/10
On Mar 12, 11:47 am, Numeron <irunsofastineedafinonmyh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I think I found another bug, and I know how to reproduce it.

First, mass build farms. Then, build weapon/armor factories. When I
tried to press 'd' to distribute, I got this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException:
10
at UI.showDistribute(UI.java:663)
at Player.run(Player.java:41)
at World.run(World.java:129)
at UI.run(UI.java:457)
at Main.<init>(Main.java:71)
at Main.main(Main.java:9)

Numeron

Mar 14, 2010, 11:07:48 PM3/14/10
Have just released a version containing fixes for the two crashes
noted here, and did a fix so that the keypad works with numlock both
on or off.

Havent had any time to do any balancing or anything else. At the
moment I think the game is too easy to hold an area and too hard to
gain ground. With a bit of tactics this can be overcome - using the
strategy screen to set up a diversion for the defenders while you
sneak in from a different direction seems a neat way, but the AI is
not intelligent enough to do anything like that back yet, so even
though its not easy to win its pretty hard to lose. So it will take
more than balancing the numbers of attackers/defenders, it will
actually need improvements to the AI. This will come over the
following couple of weeks, hopefully along with optimisations that
allow the larger levels to play well, then Ill probably leave the game
as is...

-Numeron

Darren Grey

Mar 18, 2010, 12:00:22 PM3/18/10
On Mar 12, 10:00 pm, Numeron <irunsofastineedafinonmyh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Running the bat file gives me the message "'java' is not recognized as
an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

Any solution?

--
Darren Grey

Numeron

Mar 18, 2010, 7:28:27 PM3/18/10

Do you have java installed? go to www.java.com and make sure. The site
will advise you if you already have it, otherwise provide helpful easy
links if you dont. If the problem persists then you must not have your
environment path set up, which is unusual and Im not going to help you
fix it via usenet. Instead, I've wrapped the jar file into a windows
executable which the 3rd party program I used to do so assures me will
do a good job of hunting for your java runtime environment for you.

Please let me know how this goes.

Java has a serious problem with producing user friendly runnables.

-Numeron

Numeron

Mar 18, 2010, 10:49:50 PM3/18/10
Fixed a build location bug.
Fixed the 1 sec delay when an area changes hands.
Improved your (and all leaders) attack teams, they should stick closer
by, and get spell boxes as they walk past them rather than wander off
by themselves.

Unless there are any further serious bugs though I think I'll be
halting development from here :( I have other projects to work on ;)

-Numeron

Darren Grey

Mar 20, 2010, 2:16:20 PM3/20/10
On Mar 18, 11:28 pm, Numeron <irunsofastineedafinonmyh...@hotmail.com>

wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2:00 am, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 12, 10:00 pm, Numeron <irunsofastineedafinonmyh...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > I was afraid that might happen, Its not your memory its the amount
> > > allocated to the java virtual machine. The reason that it blows there
> > > is because I preload, cut up, and pre-rotate all the images internally
> > > so that displaying them is faster. It takes in total more than the
> > > meagre amount given initially.
>
> > > I have included a bat file that contains the command for running the
> > > game, increasing the heap size. In windows this file can be run
> > > directly, unix and mac im out of my knowledge zone, someone might have
> > > to help me...
>
> > > Hopefully that fixes it :)
>
> > Running the bat file gives me the message "'java' is not recognized as
> > an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".
>
> > Any solution?
>
> > --
> > Darren Grey
>
> Do you have java installed? go towww.java.comand make sure. The site

> will advise you if you already have it, otherwise provide helpful easy
> links if you dont. If the problem persists then you must not have your
> environment path set up, which is unusual and Im not going to help you
> fix it via usenet. Instead, I've wrapped the jar file into a windows
> executable which the 3rd party program I used to do so assures me will
> do a good job of hunting for your java runtime environment for you.
>
> Please let me know how this goes.
>
> Java has a serious problem with producing user friendly runnables.

Heh, of course I have Java installed (I know, I know, some people
*are* that stupid...) All the other java-based 7drls have run fine.
I've googled the error message and there seem to be some allusions to
a fix - will try and sort it out.

--
Darren Grey

Darren Grey

Mar 20, 2010, 11:02:41 PM3/20/10
> > Do you have java installed? go towww.java.comandmake sure. The site

> > will advise you if you already have it, otherwise provide helpful easy
> > links if you dont. If the problem persists then you must not have your
> > environment path set up, which is unusual and Im not going to help you
> > fix it via usenet. Instead, I've wrapped the jar file into a windows
> > executable which the 3rd party program I used to do so assures me will
> > do a good job of hunting for your java runtime environment for you.
>
> > Please let me know how this goes.
>
> > Java has a serious problem with producing user friendly runnables.
>
> Heh, of course I have Java installed (I know, I know, some people
> *are* that stupid...)  All the other java-based 7drls have run fine.
> I've googled the error message and there seem to be some allusions to
> a fix - will try and sort it out.

Turns out it needed the Java Development Kit installed (not just the
run-time environment). Got it running now.... Wow, looks very
pretty, but also quite overwhelming. Any documentation for this?

--
Darren Grey