7DRL Challenge 2006: Date is Chosen!

Jeff Lait

Feb 1, 2006, 9:42:51 PM2/1/06
What is a Seven Day Roguelike?

A Seven Day Roguelike is a roguelike created in seven days. This means
the author stopped writing code one hundred and sixty eight hours after
they started writing code.

--------------

A Seven Day Roguelike (7DRL) can be written at any time. However, a
general agreement was reached that it would be fun to schedule a
specific week for a challenge. This allows the various authors to know
that others are also desperately tracking down a bad pointer reference
on the 167th hour.

The week has been chosen!

After an unscientific straw poll, the following scientific-looking
graph was generated:

Feb 18 - Feb 26: ###########
Feb 25 - Mar 5: ##############
Mar 4 - Mar 12: #########

A discursive analysis of this shows that the use of the # sign makes
for an aesthetically pleasing method for representing bar graphs.

The week for the Seven Day Roguelike Challenge has been chosen!

Within the week of February 25th to March 5th, you are hereby
challenged to write a roguelike in 168 hours!

To participate, follow these simple steps:
1) On or after February 25th in your time zone, post to
rec.games.roguelike.development that you have started work on your
Seven Day Roguelike.
2) Write a roguelike.
3) After 168 hours, if you have completed a playable roguelike, post
your success to rec.games.roguelike.announce! If not, post your lack
of results to rec.games.roguelike.development, where we will all
commiserate and agree that given a few scant more hours, it could have
been great.

Good Luck!

I will try to post a reminder message the wednesday before the
challenge.
--
Jeff Lait

John Connors

Feb 6, 2006, 6:41:54 PM2/6/06

How about setting up a 7DRL group blog so we can all keep tabs, show off
screenshots, scream in frustration at each other?

John Connors.

Martin Read

Feb 6, 2006, 8:12:41 PM2/6/06
jo...@yagc.ndo.co.uk wrote:
>Jeff Lait wrote:
[snip]

>> A Seven Day Roguelike (7DRL) can be written at any time. However, a
>> general agreement was reached that it would be fun to schedule a
>> specific week for a challenge. This allows the various authors to know
>> that others are also desperately tracking down a bad pointer reference
>> on the 167th hour.
[snip]

>How about setting up a 7DRL group blog so we can all keep tabs, show off
>screenshots, scream in frustration at each other?

Well, progress reports and screams of frustration by 7DRL developers are
on-topic for rec.games.roguelike.development, and URLs to screenshots
would also be on-topic, so I don't see any particular need for it :-)

(And please, please, please, do not quote 45 lines of someone else's
text just to add a two-line reply. Trim down to a relevant and
non-misleading subset of their text. For example, the paragraph I've
picked out from Jeff's post would have been a reasonable and relevant
chunk of text to quote.)
\_\/_/ http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/dungeonbash/
\ / "tempted white eyes blinded by the night hollow like the towers from the
\/ inside laura's a machine she's burning insane" fields of the nephilim

crys...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2006, 2:28:06 AM2/8/06
does anyone have any recommendations for a roguelike/engine to start
with for this contest? i was thinking of starting with the original
rogue, but having taken a look at the source.. maybe not.
if nothing else comes up, i'll just spend seven days patching nethack
and create an amazing new roguelike. i know my way around there
(having started a mod once upon a time) but i'm a little frightened of
the io procedures, which i may have to mutilate for one of my ideas.

..the roguelike i started writing as i was learning c++ is, of course,
entirely unusable. in my unwisdom, the chains of multiple inheritance
somehow looped back on themselves and are now quite knotted.
--
Brog
glutton quest may be found at http://www.negitivefrags.com/ (not my

Jeff Lait

Feb 8, 2006, 5:30:51 PM2/8/06
crys...@gmail.com wrote:
> does anyone have any recommendations for a roguelike/engine to start
> with for this contest? i was thinking of starting with the original
> rogue, but having taken a look at the source.. maybe not.
> if nothing else comes up, i'll just spend seven days patching nethack
> and create an amazing new roguelike. i know my way around there
> (having started a mod once upon a time) but i'm a little frightened of
> the io procedures, which i may have to mutilate for one of my ideas.

I'd recommend what I'll be using: You Only Live Once:
http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce.

It is very much a bare bones roguelike, so you don't have to worry
about my earlier design decisions biassing your development too much.
I'd hope it is more readable than the rogue source code, but that is
for you to determine.

My IO routines are separated from curses with a layer of abstraction,
letting one use SDL as front end if you wish. Also has support for
maps in a text editor.

> ..the roguelike i started writing as i was learning c++ is, of course,
> entirely unusable. in my unwisdom, the chains of multiple inheritance
> somehow looped back on themselves and are now quite knotted.

IMHO, inheritance is a dangerous thing to use in C++ for roguelikes.
As mentioned elsewhere, composition is more the type of thing you want.
My solution is to go for a more Cish approach and make everything data
driven. You Only Live Once is an example of this.

Antoine

Feb 8, 2006, 6:04:45 PM2/8/06

Jeff Lait wrote:
> IMHO, inheritance is a dangerous thing to use in C++ for roguelikes.
> As mentioned elsewhere, composition is more the type of thing you want.
> My solution is to go for a more Cish approach and make everything data
> driven. You Only Live Once is an example of this.

What do you mean by 'composition' here?

A.

David Damerell

Feb 9, 2006, 8:27:26 AM2/9/06
Quoting crys...@gmail.com <crys...@gmail.com>:
>does anyone have any recommendations for a roguelike/engine to start
>with for this contest?

Nethermost Wanderings; http://www.pick.ucam.org/~ptc24/nw.html

A small game with reasonably clean source, even if it is obvious that the
author played quite a lot of Angband compared to any other RL.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Wednesday, February.

Simon Richard Clarkstone

Feb 9, 2006, 11:00:36 AM2/9/06

Function composition. I.e. you have:

typedef blah_data struct {...};

void f(blah_data *x, int i, int j) {
}

int g(blah_data *x, char *msg) {
}

which modify the thing x points to. Then you can "compose" f and g to
get h:

int h(blah_data *x, int i, int j, char *msg) {
int tmp;
... /* trivial work */
f(x, i, j);
... /* more trivial work */
tmp = g(x, msg);
... /* yet more trivial work */
return tmp;
}

In functional languages and in maths, function composition is this:
(define (compose g f)
(lambda (x)
(g (f x))))

I.e. it takes the output of one fuction and feeds it into another.
Function composition is used a lot in functionl programming, and is also
known to UNIX users as the | operator on the command line (where the
arguments are "backwards").

HTH

--
Simon Richard Clarkstone: s.r.cl?rkst?n?@durham.ac.uk/s?m?n.cl?rkst?n?@
hotmail.com ### "I have a spelling chequer / it came with my PC /

tongHoAnh

Feb 22, 2006, 12:11:35 PM2/22/06

It is too early to say, but I decided to help him with the reminding
task :)

zircher

Feb 23, 2006, 11:47:45 AM2/23/06
> To participate, follow these simple steps:
> 1) On or after February 25th in your time zone, post to
> rec.games.roguelike.development that you have started work on your
> Seven Day Roguelike.
> 2) Write a roguelike.
> 3) After 168 hours, if you have completed a playable roguelike, post
> your success to rec.games.roguelike.announce! If not, post your lack
> of results to rec.games.roguelike.development, where we will all
> commiserate and agree that given a few scant more hours, it could have
> been great.

The rules seem simple enough. How distastful is it to create a Windows
only 7DRL? I noticed that the lion's share of Rogue-likes are cross
platform. My hobby language of choice is Dark Basic Pro and it does
not support cross platform develoment.

Also, is it considered foolish to use the 7DRL challenge as a vehicle
for writing your first RL? I've written a fair number of arcade games,
tech demos, and PBEM utilities, but nothing in the Rogue-like category
even though I'm a fan of them.
--
TAZ

Slash

Feb 23, 2006, 11:57:59 AM2/23/06

zircher wrote:
> > To participate, follow these simple steps:
> > 1) On or after February 25th in your time zone, post to
> > rec.games.roguelike.development that you have started work on your
> > Seven Day Roguelike.
> > 2) Write a roguelike.
> > 3) After 168 hours, if you have completed a playable roguelike, post
> > your success to rec.games.roguelike.announce! If not, post your lack
> > of results to rec.games.roguelike.development, where we will all
> > commiserate and agree that given a few scant more hours, it could have
> > been great.
>
> The rules seem simple enough. How distastful is it to create a Windows
> only 7DRL?
Absolutely undistastful!! :p

> I noticed that the lion's share of Rogue-likes are cross
> platform. My hobby language of choice is Dark Basic Pro and it does
> not support cross platform develoment.
>
> Also, is it considered foolish to use the 7DRL challenge as a vehicle
> for writing your first RL?

Actually, it has been heavy advised

> I've written a fair number of arcade games,
> tech demos, and PBEM utilities, but nothing in the Rogue-like category
> even though I'm a fan of them.

Would be interesting to see ideas implemented from somebody which is
not an RPG purist ;)

--
Slash
[http://www.santiagoz.com]

tongHoAnh

Feb 24, 2006, 7:00:30 AM2/24/06

Slash wrote:
> > Also, is it considered foolish to use the 7DRL challenge as a vehicle
> > for writing your first RL?
>
> Actually, it has been heavy advised

If PacmanRL isnt a RL in any sense, than my 7DRL entry would be the
first RL I write. The good thing about the contest is that you can
publically distribute your a-quarter caked of the alpha versio of the
RL frame and still have ppl (who are ungodly skillful in the field)
play and comment on it. Also, since your first roguelike wont be not
long anyway, seven days should not be must of a problem (speak from me
experience, yours may vary.)

3 more day till I code...