7DRL: Unnamed MUD roguelike

Richard Tew

Mar 15, 2010, 12:37:29 AM3/15/10

Due to a death in the family, I didn't have much time to work on my
project, but I got a good part of the display routines implemented. I
was using a pre-existing MUD code base where players can log on,
communicate and explore using text-base commands (look, get object,
drop object, north, south, west, say <something>, ...).

If you have a decent telnet client, you can try what I have at the
address below. I have tried it with Windows Telnet, and Putty. It
should work with any that have decent ANSI support.

Telnet to this address: rmtew.dyndns.org 3000

Cheers,
Richard.

Slash

Mar 15, 2010, 8:21:27 AM3/15/10
On Mar 14, 11:37 pm, Richard Tew <richard.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Due to a death in the family,

My condolences..

> I didn't have much time to work on my
> project, but I got a good part of the display routines implemented.  I

Is this a success, or a failure?

--
Slashie

Slash

Mar 15, 2010, 8:22:42 AM3/15/10
On Mar 14, 11:37 pm, Richard Tew <richard.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Also, did you have a start announcing post?

Ryan Szrama

Mar 15, 2010, 9:38:23 AM3/15/10
Richard, when things settle down, I'd be interested in chatting about
this idea further. Recently re-uploaded SocketMUD to a web server and
thinking about some sort of persistent, world creation MUD with a
Roguelike twist. Not sure what code base you were using here, but
SocketMUD is a totally do-it-from-scratch server.

I also put up an old stock Rom 2.4b6 for toots and giggles. : D

-Ryan

Richard Tew

Mar 15, 2010, 3:55:58 PM3/15/10
On Mar 16, 1:21 am, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 11:37 pm, Richard Tew <richard.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Due to a death in the family,
>
> My condolences..
>
> > I didn't have much time to work on my
> > project, but I got a good part of the display routines implemented.  I
>
> Is this a success, or a failure?

Ah, sorry, I meant to put that in the title. It was a failure.

And here was the starting post:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.development/msg/92f278ed1e46ce1d

Cheers,
Richard.

Richard Tew

Mar 15, 2010, 4:03:43 PM3/15/10
On Mar 16, 2:38 am, Ryan Szrama <ryan.szr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard, when things settle down, I'd be interested in chatting about
> this idea further.  Recently re-uploaded SocketMUD to a web server and

Sure, give us a yell. I think this is a largely unexplored part of
MUD possibilities. Most of the MUD clients seem to be heading away
from supporting ANSI, with separate command entry fields and lack of
support for character mode, which is unfortunate. But I guess you
have to cater for the lowest common denominator :-)

> thinking about some sort of persistent, world creation MUD with a
> Roguelike twist.  Not sure what code base you were using here, but
> SocketMUD is a totally do-it-from-scratch server.

I use a custom code base. Basically for what I implemented for my
failed roguelike, which was basically a manually created dungeon with
ANSI scrolling, all my code was limited to this one file:

http://code.google.com/p/sorrows-mudlib/source/browse/trunk/games/roguelike/shells/roguelike.py

Actually adding player's sharing the same world would have been
trivial, but I did not get around to it.

Cheers,
Richard.