7DRL Success - A Most Peculiar Adventure

Antagonist

Mar 14, 2010, 12:25:32 PM3/14/10
We present to you - A Most Peculiar Adventure!

A 7DRL exploring the themes of identity, ego and madness by Ido
Yehieli, Charl van Deventer and Whitaker Blackall:

http://tametick.com/ampa/

Requires java and a non-ancient graphics card.

Works on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

-Ido, Charl & Whit.

Darren Grey

Mar 14, 2010, 6:32:40 PM3/14/10

Completed on first try. Not exactly sure where the challenge is
actually. The look is very cool though, and I love the atmospheric
sounds.

--
Darren Grey

Ido Yehieli

Mar 14, 2010, 7:05:58 PM3/14/10
On 03/14/2010 23:32 , Darren Grey wrote:
> On Mar 14, 4:25 pm, Antagonist<landon.skyf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Completed on first try. Not exactly sure where the challenge is
> actually.

Making the game non-challenging was one of the design goals.

Think of it as an ambient, zen-roguelike: it is more about the journey
than about the destination :)

-Ido.

Darren Grey

Mar 14, 2010, 8:31:58 PM3/14/10

Ah, that explains it. I kept thinking the job might be to avoid the
lights that kept popping up about the place... Well, was enjoyable
anyway :)

--
Darren Grey

Ryan Szrama

Mar 14, 2010, 9:23:12 PM3/14/10
Hmm, just tried it on my Win XP machine w/ the latest Java and an
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 w/ 128 MB RAM. Got this error on launch:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected reply from
glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT: 36061
at
rendering.RenderableTexture.checkFBOCompleteness(RenderableTexture.java:
110)
at rendering.RenderableTexture.initFBO(RenderableTexture.java:36)
at rendering.RenderableTexture.<init>(RenderableTexture.java:18)
at rendering.GPUDisplay.init(GPUDisplay.java:117)
at rendering.GPUDisplay.<init>(GPUDisplay.java:87)
at rendering.GPUMapDisplay.<init>(GPUMapDisplay.java:36)
at rendering.GPUHexMapDisplay.<init>(GPUHexMapDisplay.java:15)
at core.HexRLEngine.init(HexRLEngine.java:206)
at core.HexRLEngine.init(HexRLEngine.java:188)
at game.HexRL.init(HexRL.java:177)
at game.HexRL.main(HexRL.java:238)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Ido Yehieli

Mar 15, 2010, 4:04:41 AM3/15/10
On 03/15/2010 02:23 , Ryan Szrama wrote:
> Hmm, just tried it on my Win XP machine w/ the latest Java and an
> NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 w/ 128 MB RAM. Got this error on launch:

I would guess the problem is with your graphics card's support for
FBO(or lack thereof)- the 5200 is quite an old card and it was a low-end
card 7 years ago as well (although I think it *theoretically* should run
on it - if I am not mistaken it was the very first card from NVidia to
support Opengl 2.0).

Antagonist wrote the rendering code, and it achieves its prettiness by
making heavy use of shaders- that sets an apparently
not-quite-low-enough lower bound on the graphics cards needed to run it.

Still, most graphics cards from the last 5 years should be able to
handle it.

-Ido.

Antagonist

Mar 15, 2010, 4:40:51 AM3/15/10

> > Hmm, just tried it on my Win XP machine w/ the latest Java and an
> > NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 w/ 128 MB RAM.  Got this error on launch:
>
> I would guess the problem is with your graphics card's support for
> FBO(or lack thereof)

This is it exactly. Its possible to refactor the code to use PBuffers
when FBOs are unavailable, but I was worried about performance and the
issue that I don't know how many cards there are that would fail on
only the FBOs and none of the other features I use like Shaders or non-
power-of-two-textures, which makes this case special.

This is fixable as I mentioned, but beyond the scope of a 7DRL. I'll
make a note however to add the PBuffer fallback support should I use
this engine for another project or when I release it as a standalone
engine.

That said, I am very interested in any error reports you guys
encounter. Especially with OpenGL 2.0 capable ATI or Intel cards who
have been the bulk of the error reports so far.

edenicholas

Mar 15, 2010, 6:14:01 AM3/15/10

Congratulations! Very interesting and peculiar. I didn't think about
identity, ego, or madness, however. I did think about how neat the
visuals are, and ruminated about the choice of facing plus hexes. I
especially liked the auto-zoom when exploring, it made a nice transition
when entering a cave. Overall, a nifty little game.