7DRL SUCCESS: Math the Roguelike

kkairos

Mar 13, 2010, 2:40:57 PM3/13/10
Well, I tried to post this one earlier, twice, but apparently it keeps
going down for some reason.
Trying again! Website (w/ download and screenshot):
http://sites.google.com/site/kkairossportalthingy/mathrl

hmp

Mar 13, 2010, 3:44:10 PM3/13/10
Playing it right now. Very interesting idea, to give player control of
mechanics like that.

The game seems to lack keybindings description, I had to figure them
out by trial.

Timofei Shatrov

Mar 13, 2010, 3:58:31 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:40:57 -0800 (PST), kkairos <kka...@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

You can stop. There are like 100 of your announcements already!

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... | ue il |
|But we can take them on! | @ma |
| (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip) |______________|

kkairos

Mar 13, 2010, 6:08:45 PM3/13/10
It seemed like they were getting deleted and so I seriously seriously
thought this was the only instance left...Sorry! :/

kkairos

Mar 13, 2010, 7:12:51 PM3/13/10
So after all that apparently there was a nearly fatal bug in the game
of not being able to save more than once.

That should be fixed now. I'm going to upload the new version to the
site and to digitalmzx (the only dmzx version will probably be the new
one) but i'll leave the first release up on the site in case this new
one is too late to qualify as a 7drl (technically it's almost 3 hours
outside of the time i started, but it's still Saturday!) I'm pretty
sure it still qualifies, but I've left both up just in case.

People who I trust in the MZX community tell me the thing's not too
hard so you might not really need to save more'n once, but if you do
want to I recommend downloading the fix.

kkairos

Mar 13, 2010, 8:03:50 PM3/13/10
Yet another (more serious) bug caught by an MZXer. Frick.

Again if this counts as a 7-day version it does, if not it doesn't,
and I've left up both previous versions for posterity.

NOW (mathrl_fix2.zip) it should be free of fatal bugs. I know
numbergoblins lock up sometimes and don't move or attack but you can
still kill them in that state! That and sometimes a lack of display of
YOU BEAT THE GOBLIN text.

Geoffrey White

Mar 17, 2010, 7:11:41 PM3/17/10
Love it. Assembly crazy combos is lots of fun. Could do with a variety
of monsters!

- Geoffrey White

Ryan Szrama

Mar 18, 2010, 12:10:10 AM3/18/10
Unbelievable. I programmed games in MZX years ago and recently
rediscovered it on my Mac. I hadn't touched it in a few months but
was delighted to find I had to download the 2.83 release to play your
game. Glad it's still being developed, and I'm glad you showed me
just what the platform can do.

I really am super impressed, as I mentioned in my review on-site.
You've put together a fun game with an interesting UI and very unique
gameplay mechanics. I can only guess you've been working on this
engine for some time now, and I look forward to seeing what else you
do with it. : )

Cheers,
-Ryan

kkairos

Mar 23, 2010, 11:42:03 PM3/23/10
Actually (not to brag of course) I'd developed some engines and
started on a roguelike engine before in MZX, but IIRC I technically
wrote everything from scratch in the sense that I didn't copy/paste
any existing code from before the starting Saturday. But I'm glad I
impressed you. (This probably isn't the place but if you wanted
recommendations on other awesome modern MZX games you could e-mail me
and I would happily provide.)