NES 7DRL - Robobot

Barry

Mar 7, 2010, 7:32:05 PM3/7/10
Sorry for the late announcement. I didn't have a Net connection at home
when I started, so I had to wait till I got to my apartment to post. So
with that:

Hello world! This is my first 7DRL ever. I started on Sunday, March 7 at
00:00 UST. This means I've been working on it for about 24 hours and 22
minutes. My intent is to be finished before March 14 at the same time.

As the title says, I'm making a RogueLike for the enormously retro NES in
6502 Assembly. This is my first time developing for the platform, so
that's going to be the most challenging part of the challenge. The game
is just going to be a pretty stereotypical and seriously-lacking-in-
features RogueLike (more or less a Hack clone) but with robots. The goal
here is to develop a fully functional game on an unfamiliar platform in
my favorite language ever - assembler!

In the past 24 hours, I've managed to study up on how graphics work on
the NES, write a makefile, get my assembler working, and copy some
boilerplate code from the NESdev wiki.

So that's it for my announcement. For anyone who's interested, I'll be
using my webcomic-like-thing ( http://isharacomix.com ) as a development
blog. Every day starting Monday morning, I'll post a brief summary of the
previous day's work and (maybe) a development snapshot of where I've
gotten so far.

I've just realized that I need to make my "sprites" (ASCII characters),
so I'm off to do that now. See you all in six more days! Happy hacking!

Barry

Mar 8, 2010, 11:41:52 PM3/8/10
I remember a time - long, long ago - when I really enjoyed Nintendo
games. It was a good time. But now, when I hear the name, I don't think
of their games anymore. I think of their litigation and their abuse of
the hobbyist community, and even though there is nothing legally or
ethically wrong with me making an NES game, the truth about who they are
is messing with my head, stopping me from focusing on programming, and
ultimately preventing me from enjoying this competition.

So the game's idea is going to remain the same, but the platform will be
much different. Instead of being focused on the NES via emulator, I will
instead be creating a small-scale multiplayer game using the Marlin
system that I've been working on. ( http://isharacomix.com/?
page=project_marlin ) I'll still be shooting for March 14 at 0:00 UTC.
I'm starting using the CSerpent code base that can be found on the the
project page and a general purpose automake suite.

The most unfortunate part of this whole fiasco is that only those of you
running a *nix system will be able to start the server I'm making and
play it locally using the client. I'm not sure who in their right mind
would host a game server written in seven days to the whole Internet... I
would, of course, but I don't have the gear to make it happen. So I guess
you'll have to settle for LAN play or something.

Sorry, world. I'm really, really finicky about stuff like this. Hopefully
nobody was looking forward to it too much. :)

Barry

Mar 13, 2010, 3:58:11 PM3/13/10
SUCCESS.

I posted on r.g.r.a earlier, but waiting for the moderation process is
freaking me out, so I'm going to post my victory announcement here as
well.

So yeah, got Robobot done. Made it for Marlin. Both the game itself and
the client are available over at http://isharacomix.com/?
page=project_marlin

It has horrible documentation, but the game is pretty easy to figure out.
So good luck. The game isn't very much fun to play alone, so you'll
definitely have more a better time if you can get a bunch of RL-lovers on
a LAN or private network.

Congrats to everyone who participated. Now I'm gonna find something else
to program.

Darren Grey

Mar 15, 2010, 4:29:49 PM3/15/10
On Mar 13, 8:58 pm, Barry <ish...@isharacomix.com> wrote:
> SUCCESS.
>
> I posted on r.g.r.a earlier, but waiting for the moderation process is
> freaking me out, so I'm going to post my victory announcement here as
> well.
>
> So yeah, got Robobot done. Made it for Marlin. Both the game itself and
> the client are available over athttp://isharacomix.com/?
> page=project_marlin

Fixed link:

http://isharacomix.com/?page=project_marlin

Still haven't gotten this Marlin thing running to play it, but I will
do in the coming weeks.

--
Darren Grey