7DRL Completion: Cave Chop

Martin Read

Mar 17, 2012, 7:26:34 AM3/17/12
I am pleased to announce the successful completion of Cave Chop, my
emergency panic-button plan for producing a new roguelike within my
declared 2012 7DRLC time window after deciding that the original plan
was too ambitious.

==Download link==
The source code can be downloaded from:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/cavechop-7drl.tgz

No binary packages are currently available.

==Declarations of code reuse==
Cave Chop is derived from the source code of Martin's Dungeon Bash
version 1.7.
--
\_\/_/ turbulence is certainty turbulence is friction between you and me
\ / every time we try to impose order we create chaos

Michal Bielinski

Mar 23, 2012, 7:43:57 PM3/23/12
Once upon a time, Martin Read wrote thus:
> I am pleased to announce the successful completion of Cave Chop, my
> emergency panic-button plan for producing a new roguelike within my
> declared 2012 7DRLC time window after deciding that the original plan
> was too ambitious.

After several characters killed early one of them made it big.

Princess Nina reached XL 20. She had 264 max hitpoints, 99
body and agility. Several runeswords and meteoric plate armors.
Over 150 unused healing potions. Food counter at over one hundred
thousands. Seeing how I hit caps on character advancement monsters
would eventually take me out but this was taking too long.

Difficulty should ramp up faster. Obviously I successfully leveraged
my experience in MPRDB to good effect but it would be more fun
if challenge would come more often. Most difficult situation was
when I met a defiler but did not have source of fire resistance.

Lava walking is great. Gives a nice spot to rest. Once it was
necessary to reach stairs.

Set of ribbons is unique and interesting item. At first I thought
it was an artifact.

Discovered bugs:
- flask throwing impossible (internal error)
- changing armor invokes some debug info about gaining fire
resistance when fire ring is on at the same time

--
Michał Bieliński