[ANN] Wizard's Quest

Xecutor

Feb 14, 2010, 8:15:33 AM2/14/10
Hello fellow roguelikers.

I decided that it's pointless to continue 'closed' development.
It's impossible to fix all bugs/issues and make perfect version.
So, here it is - Wizard's Quest.
Download page: http://wq.rlgclub.ru/downloads_eng.html

The game is about apprentice wizard who made his way
into trouble due to own stupidity. Now he need your
help to survive.

What you can find in this game:
1. Original light system. There is no such thing as permalit cells.
2. Original time system. Effect of most actions happen after
time is spent for this action. You start casting spell,
monsters can move or attack while you casting it,
and than you release it. Drinking potions is not instant too.
It is possible to evade ranged attacks.
3. 12 base magic elements. Any two base elements can be fused,
resulting in 66 possible extended elements.
Special effects of this 12+66 elements is what makes characters
variety in wq.
Don't take fusion system too seriously. It's not realistic sim or
something.
But there is still little logic behind fusion :)
4. The deeper you go, the more powerful items you will find.
Some items can significally change combat cycle/tactics.
5. There are a few minigames. I'll make more later.
6. There is minimal move/attack animations that make
things a little more clear even without looking into message log.
There is also floating minitext for damage/effects.
And colored glow around letters for effects.
7. There are 2 new monsters each level.
Some monsters are not too original, but some
have quite interesting abilities.
8. There is ultimate escape ability - controlled blink.
It's available right away. But you need to actually see
destination cell. i.e. it must be lit!

At first game may seem very difficult.
But once you get used to it, it's ... well, not easy, but
as long as you don't make mistakes you won't die. Too much :)

There are 3 difficulty levels.
Casual - damage taken by character is halved, there is no regeneration
limit on levels.
It is possible to load game on death.
Normal - normal damage. Regeneration energy is limited, but there is
plenty of it.
It is possible to load game on death.
Hardcore - normal rl difficulty :) Spend your mana/hp carefully.
Permadeath.

Preemptive FAQ:
Q1: Why can't I attack/cast spells in any direction, like monsters do?
A1: Monsters can only cast spells in 8 directions too.
As for attack - that's mostly balance issue.

Q2: How can I equip an item???
A2: It's mentioned in manual. Press tab to go to equipment section.
Press enter. Select compatible item. Press enter again.

Q3: Game isn't starting. Something about graphics mode.
A3: One person reported this to me. And didn't answer ony of my
questions.
Most likely this is because his desktop color depth was 16bit. Try
fullscreen mode.
And send your system details to me pls.

Q4: Game is sooo slow...
A4: Game is trying to repaint itself at constant 50FPS. Slowest CPU I
have is C2D 1.66Ghz.
It runs fine on it. I'm afraid I can't help much here.

Q5: Is game even winnable?
A5: Most likely yes :)

Q6: How many levels are there?
A6: Main villian is on 25th level.

Derrick Creamer

Feb 18, 2010, 7:36:50 AM2/18/10
On Feb 14, 8:15 am, Xecutor <konstantin.stup...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, here it is - Wizard's Quest.
> Download page:http://wq.rlgclub.ru/downloads_eng.html

I played for a while - some of my thoughts are below.

> What you can find in this game:

> 3. 12 base magic elements. Any two base elements can be fused,
> resulting in 66 possible extended elements.
> Special effects of this 12+66 elements is what makes characters
> variety in wq.
> Don't take fusion system too seriously. It's not realistic sim or
> something.
> But there is still little logic behind fusion :)

I didn't experience any of this yet - I didn't read the entire manual
before I played, so I didn't know how to use altars at all.

> 4. The deeper you go, the more powerful items you will find.
> Some items can significally change combat cycle/tactics.
> 5. There are a few minigames. I'll make more later.
> 6. There is minimal move/attack animations that make
> things a little more clear even without looking into message log.
> There is also floating minitext for damage/effects.
> And colored glow around letters for effects.

I mostly like the look of these, but I think the ice damage one was a
little hard to read.

> 7. There are 2 new monsters each level.
> Some monsters are not too original, but some
> have quite interesting abilities.
> 8. There is ultimate escape ability - controlled blink.
> It's available right away. But you need to actually see
> destination cell. i.e. it must be lit!
>
> At first game may seem very difficult.
> But once you get used to it, it's ... well, not easy, but
> as long as you don't make mistakes you won't die. Too much :)

Once I read the manual, I was able to move around much more easily.
(and get killed by archers!)
Your post and your site made it clear that this is a beta - but
eventually(of course!) I'd like to see better in-game help for
equipping items and using altars.

So, nice beta! I'll keep an eye out for new releases.

-Derrick

Konstantin Stupnik

Feb 21, 2010, 12:05:44 AM2/21/10
On 21 фев, 01:39, Jotaf <jota...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Em 20-02-2010 17:38, Konstantin Stupnik escreveu:

Moving this out of Battlement thread...

> > Try to press shift-/ please.
> > There are no ascii codes for ctrl/alt+key.
> > And there are problems with keypad keys if operating with pure ascii.
>
> Ah, it worked! Thanks :)
> Although, it can be confusing if the same problem happens with other keys.
Right now it's the only shortcut with shift.
Stop.
There is < and >. Both with shift.
KEY_STOP|(KB_SHIFT_FLAG<<8) and KEY_COMMA|(KB_SHIFT_FLAG<<8).

> Can't you detect ascii codes for most keys (including '?'), and only use
> keycodes when you need to test special keys?

Right now ascii part of key is cut off before looking up into the
bindings map.
Probably I need to make 2 passes. First to look up for ascii values,
and thus allowing ascii bindings, and 2nd with keycode+modifiers...

On 21 фев, 02:46, Dathgale <dathg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are no ascii codes for ctrl/alt+key.
>
> I have used text-based environments that map ctrl- and alt- modified
> keys to their own key codes. I know Linux does, and given that Windows
> command prompts respond to ctrl+C, I'd imagine it does too.

My game is not terminal/console application.
And keys in a linux terminal somewhat depend on terminal program.
That's why there is 'learn keys' option in midnight commander.
And they are not ascii, they are escape sequences.

Ray

Feb 21, 2010, 10:24:27 AM2/21/10
Konstantin Stupnik wrote:

> On 21 фев, 01:39, Jotaf <jota...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Em 20-02-2010 17:38, Konstantin Stupnik escreveu:
>
> Moving this out of Battlement thread...
>
>> > Try to press shift-/ please.
>> > There are no ascii codes for ctrl/alt+key.
>> > And there are problems with keypad keys if operating with pure ascii.
>>
>> Ah, it worked! Thanks :)
>> Although, it can be confusing if the same problem happens with other
>> keys.
> Right now it's the only shortcut with shift.
> Stop.
> There is < and >. Both with shift.
> KEY_STOP|(KB_SHIFT_FLAG<<8) and KEY_COMMA|(KB_SHIFT_FLAG<<8).
>
>> Can't you detect ascii codes for most keys (including '?'), and only use
>> keycodes when you need to test special keys?
>
> Right now ascii part of key is cut off before looking up into the
> bindings map.
> Probably I need to make 2 passes. First to look up for ascii values,
> and thus allowing ascii bindings, and 2nd with keycode+modifiers...

I would actually suggest 3 passes: Ascii for one-key alpha
commands (including capitalized), Ascii-plus-modifier-keys for
ctrl-alpha and alt-alpha, and keycode+modifiers for arrow &
function keys.

I think it's more common to bind commands to alpha-plus-modifier
keys, where the alpha value is meaningful. Binding to keyboard
locations (which are what we see as keycodes) works only where
the locations are meaningful (such as arrow and function keys).

Bear

Ed Kolis

Feb 25, 2010, 1:33:18 PM2/25/10
Very nice! I especially like the lighting, animations, and time
system... and the ability to set yourself on fire by meleeing a monster
you set on fire with a spell! :D

A couple of small questions, though...

1. Why do I have to press "A" to attack, unlike in most other
roguelikes? Is there a use for "pushing" monsters?

2. How do I use an item (potion, etc.)? Pressing enter while it's
selected does nothing; do I actually have to unwield my weapon and wield
the potion or something?

Konstantin Stupnik

Feb 26, 2010, 1:28:38 AM2/26/10
Ed Kolis wrote:
> Very nice! I especially like the lighting, animations, and time
> system... and the ability to set yourself on fire by meleeing a monster
> you set on fire with a spell! :D
It's probably fire beetle that set you on fire :)
A lot of monsters have a chance to place some negative effect on you on
attack. And most deeper monsters have some kind of nasty special ability.

> A couple of small questions, though...
>
> 1. Why do I have to press "A" to attack, unlike in most other
> roguelikes? Is there a use for "pushing" monsters?

You can press alt-direction for attack as well.
Normal melee attacks are not available for player.
Only ranged.
And in most cases it's bad idea to exchange blows with monster.
Most melee monsters will outdamage you.
The game is mostly about killing things from afar.
Slow monster and use hit&run.
Or ignite him and see him burning.
Or ... there are A LOT of ways to kill things :)
Some spells can be used in a combo like way.
For example you can make monsters wet with water spell,
and freeze them with cold spell.
But if you throw fire at frozen/chilled monster it will thaw.
Water can wash away some other spell effects and extinguish fire.
Part of fun of the game is to find effective spell combos.
Spell morphing altars available at 1+[5] levels and
spell fusion altars available at 2+[5] levels.

> 2. How do I use an item (potion, etc.)? Pressing enter while it's
> selected does nothing; do I actually have to unwield my weapon and wield
> the potion or something?

Press shift-/ in any context for all available in this context keys.
You can 'U'se item. It is also possible to 'S'ort inventory.
Press tab to switch between equipment and inventory.
Equipped items can be 'T'taken off.
To equip item you need to select slot, press enter, select appropriate
item and press enter again.

Ed Kolis

Feb 26, 2010, 7:53:07 AM2/26/10
In article <hm7pmm$pav$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
konstanti...@gmail.com says...

> You can press alt-direction for attack as well.

Cool, thanks :) I just wonder why that's not the default for the arrow
keys, instead of pushing, which seems to do nothing!

> Normal melee attacks are not available for player.
> Only ranged.

They seemed to work for me... or is range 1 considered "ranged"? ;)

> And in most cases it's bad idea to exchange blows with monster.
> Most melee monsters will outdamage you.
> The game is mostly about killing things from afar.

Agreed :)

> Slow monster and use hit&run.
> Or ignite him and see him burning.
> Or ... there are A LOT of ways to kill things :)
> Some spells can be used in a combo like way.
> For example you can make monsters wet with water spell,
> and freeze them with cold spell.
> But if you throw fire at frozen/chilled monster it will thaw.
> Water can wash away some other spell effects and extinguish fire.
> Part of fun of the game is to find effective spell combos.
> Spell morphing altars available at 1+[5] levels and
> spell fusion altars available at 2+[5] levels.

Yeah, I started next to a morphing altar, but I couldn't figure out how
to use it... I also wondered how to light the various "switched off"
light sources in the dungeon! Couldn't find any "switch on" command, and
I considered casting fire spells at them, but never actually tried it...

> Press shift-/ in any context for all available in this context keys.

Oh, OK, didn't realize the help menu was available from within the
inventory screen. DUH! :P

> You can 'U'se item. It is also possible to 'S'ort inventory.
> Press tab to switch between equipment and inventory.
> Equipped items can be 'T'taken off.
> To equip item you need to select slot, press enter, select appropriate
> item and press enter again.

Thanks :) Once again, cool game! :D

Konstantin Stupnik

Feb 26, 2010, 9:08:18 AM2/26/10
On 26 фев, 18:53, Ed Kolis <edko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <hm7pmm$pa...@speranza.aioe.org>,
> konstantin.stup...@gmail.com says...

> > You can press alt-direction for attack as well.
>
> Cool, thanks :) I just wonder why that's not the default for the arrow
> keys, instead of pushing, which seems to do nothing!
Probably I'll change this.
Pushing and bumping is default 'interact' action of object.
When you try to move to something solid, you interact with it.
I didn't write a single line of code to make monster open doors.
They are opening doors on their own.
Pathfinding is allowing them to move there and than
'interact' magic works :)

> > Normal melee attacks are not available for player.
> > Only ranged.
>
> They seemed to work for me... or is range 1 considered "ranged"? ;)

Range 1 is also considered "ranged".
By "ranged" I meant attack that involved projectile.

> Yeah, I started next to a morphing altar, but I couldn't figure out how
> to use it...  I also wondered how to light the various "switched off"
> light sources in the dungeon! Couldn't find any "switch on" command, and
> I considered casting fire spells at them, but never actually tried it...

Ctrl-Direction
It can be used to close door too.

> > You can 'U'se item. It is also possible to 'S'ort inventory.
> > Press tab to switch between equipment and inventory.
> > Equipped items can be 'T'taken off.
> > To equip item you need to select slot, press enter, select appropriate
> > item and press enter again.
>
> Thanks :) Once again, cool game! :D

Thank you too :)
I hope you'll meet a lot of amusing YASDs and fortunate survivals.