IRDC 2009

Ido Yehieli

Jul 21, 2009, 8:52:35 AM7/21/09
Hi all,

it has been 10 months now since last year's IRDC 2008 (http://
roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Rgrd_meeting) in
Berlin, and now is as good a time as ever to start thinking about IRDC
2009!

If you are interested in coming, please discuss your preferences for a
time & place and when we'll have sufficient options we could put it up
for voting on roguebasin like last year.

I propose my current home town of Vienna, Austria, where I could
supply a venue and accommodation for 4-5 people (or possibly more if
they don't mind sharing a small space with each other - my apartment
has 3 bedrooms). I also know of a nice and fairly well equipped
hacker club here that I'm sure will be happy to have us as guests, or
if we won't be too many people we could also have it in my apartment.

-Ido.

Mingos

Jul 21, 2009, 3:17:12 PM7/21/09

Since my home town is hard to find even on the most detailed military
maps (Olsztyn), I suggest Warsaw. There are quite a few Polish RL devs
and I think the capital city would be a sensible consensus between
us :P. Plus, it has a large int'national airport, so no further
transport would be necessary for foreigners.

I can't offer free accomodation, but I might be able to look for some
not too dear hotels and take care of room booking.

A proper place for holding the meeting might be a certain problem for
me - maybe other Poles know of something adequate? I've tons of
friends in Warsaw so if there are more ppl willing to expose
themselves to polar bear attacks ;), I could ask around and see what
can be arranged.

Mingos

Radomir Dopieralski

Jul 22, 2009, 7:11:55 AM7/22/09
At Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:17:12 -0700 (PDT), Mingos wrote:

> Since my home town is hard to find even on the most detailed military
> maps (Olsztyn), I suggest Warsaw. There are quite a few Polish RL devs
> and I think the capital city would be a sensible consensus between
> us :P.

Being a Pole and living in Poland, I strongly dislike this idea.

> Plus, it has a large int'national airport, so no further
> transport would be necessary for foreigners.

There are very few direct flights to Warsaw, even Bydgoszcz has sometimes
better connections.

> I can't offer free accomodation, but I might be able to look for some
> not too dear hotels and take care of room booking.

Accomodation in Warsaw is pretty expensive, compared to other cities in
Poland (maybe except for Cracow).

> A proper place for holding the meeting might be a certain problem for
> me - maybe other Poles know of something adequate?

I know some, but not in Warsaw.

> I've tons of
> friends in Warsaw so if there are more ppl willing to expose
> themselves to polar bear attacks ;), I could ask around and see what
> can be arranged.

If we want to hold the meeting in Poland, I think that Wrocław or Poznań
may be better options. For example, it's very easy to organize venue in
the student laboratories of my university, and possibly also cheap
accomodation in student dormitories -- especially if we do it during the
school holidays.

Of course travel costs are the largest problem here, so we should probably
pick a spot on Earth that optimizes that.

--
Radomir Dopieralski, http://sheep.art.pl

Ido Yehieli

Jul 22, 2009, 7:17:53 AM7/22/09
On Jul 22, 1:11 pm, Radomir Dopieralski <n...@sheep.art.pl> wrote:

> If we want to hold the meeting in Poland, I think that Wrocław or Poznań
> may be better options.

If you guys want to do it in Poland I would vote for Katowice, with
Wroclaw as a close 2nd.

Also consider that although Cracow is expensive in Polish terms, the
cost of getting there from other counrties is actually not that high
because it is a popular tourist destination.

From my personal experience it is also not really that expensive,
probably similar in price to Berlin, which is in turn much cheaper
than most major western European cities.

Anyway, all of these will be better than Warsaw for me :)

-Ido.

Krice

Jul 22, 2009, 7:20:27 AM7/22/09
On 22 heinä, 14:11, Radomir Dopieralski <n...@sheep.art.pl> wrote:
> Being a Pole and living in Poland, I strongly dislike this idea.

Poland is such a strange country. It's so backward place and most
of poles are criminals. It must be dangerous to go in Poland.

Elig

Jul 22, 2009, 9:12:59 AM7/22/09

Too bad there won't be one somewhere in the Americas. I'd love to
attend, but would never have the money :(
- elig

Ido Yehieli

Jul 22, 2009, 9:29:22 AM7/22/09
On Jul 22, 3:12 pm, Elig <eligz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Too bad there won't be one somewhere in the Americas.

Who said there wouldn't? Suggest a place and if people want to go
there they will vote for it.

-Ido.

sinoth

Jul 22, 2009, 10:25:57 AM7/22/09

I live in Little Rock, AR, USA and would like to drive instead of fly
if possible. I'll just throw some cities out there: Dallas, TX -
Chicago, IL - Kansas City, MO - Nashville, TN. Not sure where the
other US-bound rgrdians are.

perdu...@googlemail.com

Jul 22, 2009, 11:12:01 AM7/22/09

I'd suggest the UK. Like any other good Brit, I find travel aboard to
be an utter pain. Plus we have the best curries on the planet.

Best,
P.

Darren Grey

Jul 22, 2009, 1:03:55 PM7/22/09

Well, hmm, I'm in Boston at the moment and there's quite a big RL
community here - I'm sure something could be arranged for here that
people on the east coast could easily manage to attend.

After Sep 2nd though I'll be in England most likely, and so my vote
would have to go for somewhere there or in a convenient part of
Europe. Mind you, it would not be wholly unfeasible to have parallel
US and EU events. Hell, we could even get live feeds going ;)

--
Darren Grey

Slash

Jul 22, 2009, 1:16:41 PM7/22/09

Travelling long distances is boring and expensive... why not make the
IRDC a distributed event, with subevents hapenning all around the
world? I am sure we would have a much higher attend rate! People
travel easier along their own contries

I suggest people from the same countries/cities/states to create their
own clusters.... we could have some sort of <s>global interlink
system, with brain to wire interfac</s> website where we could unite
under the same flag. And yes,

I doubt this would apply for Medellin, or even Colombia... but may be
a nice idea for some other crowded places like both US coasts and most
european standing middle powers... ( http://www.roguetemple.com/map/ )

I have set up a form so I can do the data collection and tell you the
results in, say, 2 weeks?

Please find it at http://www.roguetemple.com/irdc2009/

Regards!
--
Slashie

Ido Yehieli

Jul 22, 2009, 2:00:57 PM7/22/09
On Jul 22, 7:16 pm, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have set up a form so I can do the data collection and tell you the
> results in, say, 2 weeks?
>
> Please find it athttp://www.roguetemple.com/irdc2009/

Good idea! Also - people suggesting places, please tell us if you
also have a venue available and are able to host fellow rgrd's. For
me for example, flying to London would be quite cheap but staying
there for 4-5 days would be very expensive (relative to the price of
getting there & to how much money I have), so it's an important
factor.

-Ido.

Radomir Dopieralski

Jul 22, 2009, 3:23:03 PM7/22/09
At Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:03:55 -0700 (PDT), Darren Grey wrote:

> On Jul 21, 8:52 am, Ido Yehieli <Ido.Yehi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, hmm, I'm in Boston at the moment and there's quite a big RL
> community here - I'm sure something could be arranged for here that
> people on the east coast could easily manage to attend.

I wonder how hard it would be to make IRDC happen in two (or more) places
at the same time, possibly even using some teleconferencing software to
connect the venues (only for some time, of course, because of the time
difference). Of course, I would still like to travel to see a different
country and meet as many roguelike developers in person as possible, but
I think it could work for intercontinental meeting.

Paul Donnelly

Jul 22, 2009, 3:37:24 PM7/22/09
sinoth <sin...@gmail.com> writes:

I'm in St. Louis, but I'm not really interested enough in attending such
a thing at this time to go on a road trip.

Jeff Lait

Jul 22, 2009, 5:02:58 PM7/22/09
On Jul 21, 8:52 am, Ido Yehieli <Ido.Yehi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> it has been 10 months now since last year's IRDC 2008 (http://
> roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Rgrd_meeting) in
> Berlin, and now is as good a time as ever to start thinking about IRDC
> 2009!

Yep!

> If you are interested in coming, please discuss your preferences for a
> time & place and when we'll have sufficient options we could put it up
> for voting on roguebasin like last year.

One option is for a Toronto venue. We have at least two here, myself
and David Ploog.

I think Slash's idea of a distributed conference may be very cool
too. I disagree about traveling being boring - I had an amazing time
visiting Berlin for IRDC 2008, but I agree with it being expensive. I
blew my roguelike travel budget for the next decade or so :>
--
Jeff Lait

Derek Ray

Jul 22, 2009, 5:25:25 PM7/22/09
On 2009-07-22, Darren Grey <darrenj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After Sep 2nd though I'll be in England most likely, and so my vote
> would have to go for somewhere there or in a convenient part of
> Europe. Mind you, it would not be wholly unfeasible to have parallel
> US and EU events. Hell, we could even get live feeds going ;)

If you ever expect to have more than one or two well-heeled American
attendees you'll have to either run parallel events or hold it in the US
at some point; the cost of over-the-pond travel is prohibitive with the
current state of the economy.

--
Derek

Game info and change log: http://sporkhack.com
Beta Server: telnet://sporkhack.com
IRC: irc.freenode.net, #sporkhack

Mingos

Jul 23, 2009, 3:00:34 AM7/23/09
On 22 Lip, 13:11, Radomir Dopieralski <n...@sheep.art.pl> wrote:
> > Since my home town is hard to find even on the most detailed military
> > maps (Olsztyn), I suggest Warsaw. There are quite a few Polish RL devs
> > and I think the capital city would be a sensible consensus between
> > us :P.
>
> Being a Pole and living in Poland, I strongly dislike this idea.

A very convincing set of arguments :D. Being a Pole and soon moving to
Poland, I *adore* this idea. I think we have a tie here :D.

> > Plus, it has a large int'national airport, so no further
> > transport would be necessary for foreigners.
>
> There are very few direct flights to Warsaw, even Bydgoszcz has sometimes
> better connections.

I disagree completely. Warsaw has direct flights to most European
countries and even if there's no direct flight, it is usually
impossible to land in a different city.

> > I can't offer free accomodation, but I might be able to look for some
> > not too dear hotels and take care of room booking.
>
> Accomodation in Warsaw is pretty expensive, compared to other cities in
> Poland (maybe except for Cracow).

Unless you know what to look for. Plus, compared to other European
countries, Warsaw is really cheap for a capital city.

> If we want to hold the meeting in Poland, I think that Wrocław or Poznań
> may be better options. For example, it's very easy to organize venue in
> the student laboratories of my university, and possibly also cheap
> accomodation in student dormitories -- especially if we do it during the
> school holidays.

Maybe Gdańsk would be an option? Apart from an international airport,
it also offers an additional possibility of taking a ferry there (for
Scandinavian and German devs mainly). As for Wrocław: being a Pole and
having to take an 8h drive to get there, I strongly dislike this idea.
However, I remind you that Warsaw's as close to any other Polish city
as it gets :D.

Mingos

Mingos

Jul 23, 2009, 3:00:59 AM7/23/09

Where's the "report spam" button?

Ido Yehieli

Jul 23, 2009, 3:39:17 AM7/23/09

It's called "Ignore User", and you click the one that appears next to
Krice's name.

-Ido.

Slash

Jul 23, 2009, 8:15:48 AM7/23/09

The flamebait is so obvious that it becomes boring...

--
Slashie

Slash

Jul 23, 2009, 8:33:32 AM7/23/09

Only 8 people has voted, we need better advertising :)

> Regards!
> --
> Slashie

Ido Yehieli

Jul 23, 2009, 10:56:24 AM7/23/09
On Jul 23, 2:33 pm, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Please find it athttp://www.roguetemple.com/irdc2009/
>
> Only 8 people has voted, we need better advertising :)

It's been there for less than a day, give people a bit more time...

-Ido.

Ray

Jul 23, 2009, 11:46:15 AM7/23/09
Mingos wrote:

Mingos, please, watch your language. This is "Trolling", not "Spam".

Bear

Mario Donick

Jul 23, 2009, 1:15:18 PM7/23/09
On 21 Jul., 14:52, Ido Yehieli <Ido.Yehi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> it has been 10 months now since last year's IRDC 2008 (http://
> roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Rgrd_meeting) in
> Berlin, and now is as good a time as ever to start thinking about IRDC
> 2009!
>
> If you are interested in coming, please discuss your preferences for a
> time & place and when we'll have sufficient options we could put it up
> for voting on roguebasin like last year.
>
> I propose my current home town of Vienna, Austria

From September 25th to 27th there's the F.R.O.G. Conference in Vienna,
where I'll participate in the poster session. If IRDC was in Vienna at
one of these days I would participate.

Mario Donick

Mario Donick

Jul 23, 2009, 1:17:41 PM7/23/09
On 21 Jul., 21:17, Mingos <dominikmarc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since my home town is hard to find even on the most detailed military
> maps (Olsztyn), I suggest Warsaw. There are quite a few Polish RL devs

For Poland, I would suggest Szczecin -- simply because I can reach it
via train from Germany very easily ... ;)

Mario

Radomir Dopieralski

Jul 23, 2009, 4:34:10 PM7/23/09

That's impossible, nobody will be able to pronounce it.

Mingos

Jul 23, 2009, 4:31:57 PM7/23/09

Shtchecheen :D

Mingos

Jul 23, 2009, 4:35:16 PM7/23/09
On 23 Lip, 17:46, Ray <b...@sonic.net> wrote:
> Mingos, please, watch your language.  This is "Trolling", not "Spam".
>
>                                 Bear

*Where's the "Report Troll" button?*

Mingos

Darren Grey

Jul 24, 2009, 1:43:20 AM7/24/09

Trolls are supposed to be ignored, not reported :P

--
Darren Grey

Darren Grey

Jul 24, 2009, 1:47:05 AM7/24/09
On Jul 23, 4:31 pm, Mingos <dominikmarc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 Lip, 22:34, Radomir Dopieralski <n...@sheep.art.pl> wrote:

> > > For Poland, I would suggest Szczecin -- simply because I can reach it
> > > via train from Germany very easily ... ;)
>
> > That's impossible, nobody will be able to pronounce it.
>
> Shtchecheen :D

I can't help but imagine someone with a lisp trying their best to
pronounce this. Even trying myself I find it hard to get past the
"Sht".

--
Darren Grey

Mario Donick

Jul 24, 2009, 3:10:42 AM7/24/09

Well ... everybody could fall back to their native language. In my
case, I would pronounce it either "Stettin" or -- in an attempt to try
to speak Szczecin -- "Schetschin" or something like that...

Krice

Jul 24, 2009, 5:28:07 AM7/24/09
On 23 heinä, 18:46, Ray <b...@sonic.net> wrote:
> This is "Trolling", not "Spam".

The troll argument. I wouldn't go to Poland, it's a scary
place. Their ancestors are happy guys like Vlad Tepes. Lot
of bad things has happened in the rotten core of Europe.

Radomir Dopieralski

Jul 24, 2009, 12:58:54 PM7/24/09

Although I'd love to meet you face to face, at least to try and
see which things you say seriously, I don't really have much hope
for seeing you on any IRDC, even if it was organized in your backyard.
It's a great shame, of course.

flend

Jul 24, 2009, 6:36:17 PM7/24/09

I'd probably be up for attending some sort of small meet in the UK,
London area. Unlikely to travel further afield though. The distributed
idea sounds good - perhaps one major meeting and satellite meetings
for people who don't want to travel.

-flend

Jeff Lait

Jul 24, 2009, 11:06:32 PM7/24/09
On Jul 24, 6:36 pm, flend <flendn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The distributed
> idea sounds good - perhaps one major meeting and satellite meetings
> for people who don't want to travel.

Anyone have any good ideas of software for a distributed meeting?

There seems to be http://www.skrbl.com/ for a shared white board.

What options are there for teleconferencing? TeamSpeak?

Anything that can handle multiple video streams? Or do we get enough
computers lined up to setup a web of google-video clients?

Ido Yehieli

Jul 25, 2009, 2:35:35 AM7/25/09
On Jul 25, 12:36 am, flend <flendn...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The distributed
> idea sounds good - perhaps one major meeting and satellite meetings
> for people who don't want to travel.

I think 2 parallel meetings are feasible, but I don't think this can
scale up to much more than 2 very well. The point is mainly to meet &
get to know one another in real life, we can 'meet' on the Internet
every day. A big city in Europe & a big city in North America will
probably make this accessible to most or a large part of us.

If we make a conference in London I am pretty sure a lot of us
continental Europeans would come, as flights to London are pretty
cheap.

But if we do it is the responsibility of one or more of the English
members to organize this. I don't want to dwell too much on the
issue, but last year we had a lot of local Berliners and it was still
kind of left to me to find a place to host us from ~700km and an
international border away (and I have never been to Berlin before IRDC
2008). So if you are suggesting a venue in your area you are tacitly
also agreeing to either organize or help organize the event itself.

-Ido.

Radomir Dopieralski

Jul 25, 2009, 6:45:44 AM7/25/09
At Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:06:32 -0700 (PDT), Jeff Lait wrote:

> On Jul 24, 6:36 pm, flend <flendn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> What options are there for teleconferencing? TeamSpeak?

I have successfully used mumble for teleconferencing, it works pretty
well.

dto1138

Jul 26, 2009, 9:30:56 AM7/26/09
I suggest Boston, USA, as that's the only place I can afford to get
to :) I'd be happy to help organize a USA meetup.

Mario Lassnig

Jul 27, 2009, 5:27:01 AM7/27/09

I could organize a meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, at CERN. We have hostels
here on site, lots of conference rooms with equipment and the airport has
cheap flights to most capitals in Europe. And if people are interested I might
even give a tour of the place :-) (not the LHC and detectors, sorry, that's
already closed down for start-up)

J�rgen Lerch

Jul 27, 2009, 10:53:52 AM7/27/09
Saluton!

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 02:28:07 -0700 (PDT), Krice wrote:
> The troll argument. I wouldn't go to Poland, it's a scary
> place. Their ancestors are happy guys like Vlad Tepes. Lot

Uh, Vlad Tepes was from Romania.

Ad Astra!
JuL

--
jyn...@gmx.de / Work like you don't need the money
J�rgen ,,JuL'' Lerch / Dance like no one was watching

Darren Grey

Jul 31, 2009, 1:46:36 PM7/31/09
On Jul 27, 5:27 am, Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:

> I could organize a meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, at CERN. We have hostels
> here on site, lots of conference rooms with equipment and the airport has
> cheap flights to most capitals in Europe. And if people are interested I might
> even give a tour of the place :-) (not the LHC and detectors, sorry, that's
> already closed down for start-up)

I believe that's by far the best suggestion anyone's made so far.
Geneva is very accessible from most of Europe with cheap flights or
even cheap land travel from a lot of locations. Lots of touristy
stuff too to make the trip even more worthwhile. I'd definitely do my
best to attend if it was held here.

--
Darren Grey

flend

Jul 31, 2009, 2:51:05 PM7/31/09

Um, yeah, I must say I like the idea of a tour of CERN (once a
physicist you know :) And some roguelike chat would make it even
better. I'd definately try to make the trip if I was around at the
time.

-flend