7DRL - Success!!!

Fobbah

Mar 14, 2010, 1:04:51 AM3/14/10
I've successfully completed my 7DRL - "Demonhunt" - on time!

It was a crazy week with a lot of coffee and manic coding sessions,
but i'm really happy with the way it turned out.

An alcoholic binge on saturday night threatened the success of the
project, but with through perserverance (and a greasy breakfast) I
emerged victorious.

You can get version 1.0 of Demonhunt here:
http://sites.google.com/site/fobbahrldev/

aave

Mar 14, 2010, 11:43:41 AM3/14/10
I like this one. I'm not sure why, but somehow so many doors make this
special. :P
You forgot to mention the keys to climb stairs in the Controls.dat
though. I was constantly trying < and >.

Fobbah

Mar 14, 2010, 7:56:21 PM3/14/10

ah of course... will have to add that.
I'm considering modifying my dungeon generator slightly to reduce the
number of doors created (giving preference to path from existing doors
rather than just picking a random side), but i really like how the
generated dungeons worked out, lots of different ways to get from a to
b without it looking like a boring grid shape :)

Darren Grey

Mar 14, 2010, 8:29:10 PM3/14/10

Hurrah for greasy breakfasts!

Just completed it - very easy game. I like the variety in enemies
though. I started as a Warrior but ended up using a bit of
everything. Mostly pumped speed and attack - I was way faster than
most monsters and snipingthem was easy.

Victory screen:

Tekhne defeated Abaddon 16551p 5631t
Fobbah killed by lack of sleep 1pt 1t

Had a good time with it - shame it isn't harder.

--
Darren Grey

Fobbah

Mar 15, 2010, 9:21:27 AM3/15/10

> Hurrah for greasy breakfasts!
>
> Just completed it - very easy game.  I like the variety in enemies
> though.  I started as a Warrior but ended up using a bit of
> everything.  Mostly pumped speed and attack - I was way faster than
> most monsters and snipingthem was easy.
>
> Victory screen:
>
> Tekhne defeated Abaddon 16551p 5631t
> Fobbah killed by lack of sleep 1pt 1t
>
> Had a good time with it - shame it isn't harder.
>
> --
> Darren Grey

Thanks for trying it Darren :)

I wanted to make sure it was actually finishable and just had no time
to balance it during the competition.

Will be doing a post 7DRL balance of the game to try and maintain a
solid level of difficulty throughout the game. This will mostly mean
that i will be nerfing speed-increasing items, reducing the
availability of healing later in the game (either less potitions or
tinkering with the healing spells), and adding more mobiles/balancing
the ones that are already there, plus adding more ranged mobiles.
Also, i want to add some flavour to the bosses to keep things
interesting in the endgame. It could use some music/sound as well.

Anyways I'm really happy with the way it turned out and am looking
forward to working on this more in the future as a more serious
project :).

Darren Grey

Mar 15, 2010, 12:40:06 PM3/15/10

Potions definitely need nerfed. I was easily able to tank my way
through most fights using either magic or potions for healing (the
mana potions ultimately became healing potions in that respect).
Archery/magic should perhaps be weakened slightly too - all of the
bosses fell before I allowed them to get near me. What the game could
maybe do with is ways to disable enemies without using direct force.
Also traps laid by the demons could add some fun.

Would be good to see a rebalanced release of this.

--
Darren Grey

Geoffrey White

Mar 22, 2010, 8:47:50 PM3/22/10
Good game, feels very complete. I didn't find the game easy, I found it
quite difficult, but I've only played a couple of times so far.

- Geoffrey White