7DRL Success! - Excitable Digger

deej

Mar 15, 2009, 4:40:21 PM3/15/09
Info and dl link can be found here: http://excitaabledigger.blogspot.com/

legend....@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2009, 11:02:00 PM3/15/09
On Mar 15, 4:40 pm, deej <eben.how...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Info and dl link can be found here:http://excitaabledigger.blogspot.com/

LOL. You got to dig through everything. Do you ever encounter any
monsters in there?

- Legend of Angband
http://legend-angband.blogspot.com/

deej

Mar 16, 2009, 10:33:16 AM3/16/09

Nope, no monsters in this version, it took most of the time I had to
add the hundred or so stone layers and additional hundred or so
minerals...

Short list for Excitable Digger 2 features:
*Even more stones, minerals, and fossils!
*Better pacing (ED is way easy in the beginning and it takes a long
time for it to get hard)
*Critters!
*More realistic generation of stone
*Other stuff

destroysound

Mar 16, 2009, 3:14:58 PM3/16/09
Nice. I like it. Really looking forward to the next version. You might
consider making it so that the game isn't over unless the player has
no moves they can possibly make (not enough treasure to heal and not
enough energy to dig into any adjacent square). I've killed myself a
couple times now by just indiscriminately digging and using up too
much energy.

destroysound | http://nihilsys.com/

John Harris

Mar 23, 2009, 5:14:24 PM3/23/09
This is a rather interesting game! In a way, it seems like adding
monsters might be against its spirit. Some suggestions/problem
reports for version 1.0:

1. The instructions don't reveal that "<" and ">" can be used to
change levels. I think the majority of non-roguelike conversant
players will probably not realize they can be used. This needs to be
documented.
2. The examine stone command's output doesn't stay on-screen long
enough to be read.
3. Some special events, such as becoming a better miner, are easy to
miss in the flood of digging messages. Also, I started losing energy
one per turn as some point, and I missed the message as to why.
4. What is it that triggers mine collapses? I had a collapse on level
2 when I had completely cleared out level 1.
5. When returning to previous levels the screen doesn't update.
6. It could stand to be better documented.

Keep hitting it, there is definitely a vein of jasper worth 75 to be
found here!

- John H.

On Mar 16, 10:33 am, deej <eben.how...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 9:02 pm, legend.angb...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Mar 15, 4:40 pm, deej <eben.how...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Info and dl link can be found here:http://excitaabledigger.blogspot.com/
>
> > LOL. You got to dig through everything. Do you ever encounter any
> > monsters in there?
>
> > - Legend of Angband
> > http://legend-angband.blogspot.com/
>
> Nope, no monsters in this version, it took most of the time I had to
> add the hundred or so stone layers and additional hundred or so
> minerals...
>

> Short list for ExcitableDigger2 features:

deej

Mar 27, 2009, 1:29:27 AM3/27/09
On Mar 23, 3:14 pm, John Harris <Joh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a rather interesting game!  In a way, it seems like adding
> monsters might be against its spirit.  Some suggestions/problem
> reports for version 1.0:
>
> 1. The instructions don't reveal that "<" and ">" can be used to
> change levels.  I think the majority of non-roguelike conversant
> players will probably not realize they can be used.  This needs to be
> documented.
> 2. The examine stone command's output doesn't stay on-screen long
> enough to be read.
> 3. Some special events, such as becoming a better miner, are easy to
> miss in the flood of digging messages.  Also, I started losing energy
> one per turn as some point, and I missed the message as to why.
> 4. What is it that triggers mine collapses?  I had a collapse on level
> 2 when I had completely cleared out level 1.
> 5. When returning to previous levels the screen doesn't update.
> 6. It could stand to be better documented.
>
> Keep hitting it, there is definitely a vein of jasper worth 75 to be
> found here!
>
> - John H.

Unquestionably is could be better documented. For some of the other
things, version 1.1, bugfix, should have fixed them. To take your
comments in order:

1) agreed, added to blog for now
2) I need to look into this, it worked fine in initial testing, but it
may be system related.
3) Being a better miner didn't seem special enough to me to halt
gameplay. I have some ideas for how to better show it in ED2 though.
When your disease progress, you start losing energy just from
movement. That probably is important enough to halt on :)
4) The first level has only sky above it, which will not collapse.
Any deeper and you've got stone above you (marked as either the stone
type or 'floor' if you dug a tunnel through the level above), too much
unsupported stone will collapse. If all you did was dig a straight
line and it collapsed, let me know because that would be a bug.
5)This should be fixed in 1.1
6)agreed!

Thanks for your feedback!

John Harris

Mar 29, 2009, 8:13:06 PM3/29/09
Working on writing this game up now....

The thing that gets me about the unsupported stone thing is that
there's no clues as to how unsupported is -too- unsupported. The
mechanic could work pretty well if there were some way the player
could get some sense of how far his luck is being pushed. As it
stands, it's uncertain if digging a straight line, or digging around,
or clearing out the level above will affect the chances of collapse.

- John H.

jus...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2009, 9:29:13 AM3/31/09
I enjoyed it, thanks for the game.
The thing I don't understand is: What kind of strategy exists for this
game?
As I see it, what I'm doing is
1. pick a wall
2. dig
3. if energy low -> sell -> goto 1
4. if level is half empty -> dig downwards -> goto 1

deej

Apr 6, 2009, 1:48:43 PM4/6/09

Yes, you've mastered the strategy element of my game. Which is why
its sequel will be more complex.

It's pretty much a short term example of RL learning... first you
learn not to run out of energy, then you learn what causes collapses
(5x5 open spaces, less by the edges of the screen), then you learn
that the game gets boring because you've learned everything. :)