Seven Day Roguelike 2010: Call For Dates

Jeff Lait

Jan 20, 2010, 2:00:30 PM1/20/10
It is now time for the sixth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!

Roguelike authors are faced with the grueling challenge of making a
complete roguelike within one hundred and sixty eight hours. With
another year of wisdom, and another year's worth of new hopefuls, what
will the results be?

First, what is a Seven Day Roguelike?

A Seven Day Roguelike is a roguelike created in seven days. This means
the author stopped writing code one hundred and sixty eight hours
after starting to write code.

For more details on the history of Seven Day Roguelikes, check the
RogueBasin:
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=7DRL

A Seven Day Roguelike (7DRL) can be written at any time. However, a
general agreement was reached that it would be fun to schedule a
specific week for a challenge. This allows the various authors to
know that others are also desperately tracking down a bad pointer
reference on the 167th hour.

Now, we must choose a week.

For a given week, you can start at any time on the Saturday or
Sunday. You start by posting to rec.games.roguelike.development.
Your timelimit is then 168 hours from that point. Thus, if you
started on February 21st at 15:00 EDT, you must finish on February
28th at 15:00 EDT. You finish (if successful) with an announcement to
rec.games.roguelike.announce.

You can use either your timezone, or the timezone of the computer you
are working on. The start and end timezones have to be, of course,
the same.

Due to obvious USENET propagation issues (coupled with
rec.games.roguelike.announce being moderated), the time stamps of your
messages are not authoritative. We are working, obviously, on the
honour system.

As per tradition, three weeks have been selected. January is right
out, as that is not enough warning. Same goes for first week of
February. The following two weeks can easily run into Valentines, and
I don't want any angry significant others tracking me down.

Thus, the available weeks are:

1) February 20th to February 28th
2) February 27th to March 7th
3) March 6th to March 14th

Please post a reply to this message listing *all* weeks that you would
be able & willing to participate.

Ie, I would post and say: "I can attend all three weeks". If you
reply more than once, the latest reply will be used as the final
result.

Next Wednesday I'll take a count to see which week has the most
votes. In case of tie, the *earliest* date will be picked. This is
designed to minimize interference with GDC, which is March 9th-13th
this year.
--
Jeff Lait

Nik Coughlin

Jan 20, 2010, 5:05:03 PM1/20/10
On 21/01/2010 8:00 am, Jeff Lait wrote:
> It is now time for the sixth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!

> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th
>
> Please post a reply to this message listing *all* weeks that you would
> be able& willing to participate.

> Ie, I would post and say: "I can attend all three weeks". If you
> reply more than once, the latest reply will be used as the final
> result.
>
> Next Wednesday I'll take a count to see which week has the most
> votes. In case of tie, the *earliest* date will be picked. This is
> designed to minimize interference with GDC, which is March 9th-13th
> this year.

All are equally bad for me, so I guess I can attend all three weeks :)

Ido Yehieli

Jan 20, 2010, 5:10:47 PM1/20/10
Jeff Lait wrote:

> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th

Week 3 for me.

-Ido.

corremn

Jan 20, 2010, 6:54:29 PM1/20/10
On Jan 21, 5:00 am, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is now time for the sixth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!

Week 3 please.

Although I am in favour of having a 7drl month.....

Nik Coughlin

Jan 20, 2010, 7:20:40 PM1/20/10

I am *very* much in favour of this idea.

If the month was Feb 20th through March 20th announcing commencement
would start on Feb 20th, with final call being March 13th.

This means everyone can pick whatever 168 hour period within that month
best suits them.

Those in favour?

Numeron

Jan 20, 2010, 7:30:47 PM1/20/10

Im not against this idea, though part of the good thing with the same
week setup is that all the games are all released within 2 days of
each other. This means that no one game is given more attention than
any others simply because it was released in the first week when
people weren't over the whole ordeal :P

Otherwise week 3 is best for me :)

-Numeron

Gelatinous Mutant Coconut

Jan 20, 2010, 7:35:07 PM1/20/10
On Jan 20, 7:20 pm, Nik Coughlin <nrkn....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/01/2010 12:54 pm, corremn wrote:
> > On Jan 21, 5:00 am, Jeff Lait<torespondisfut...@hotmail.com>  wrote:
> > Although I am in favour of having a 7drl month.....
> I am *very* much in favour of this idea.

Why not make it entirely flexible and simply declare 2010 the Year of
the 7DRL?

Jeff Lait

Jan 20, 2010, 8:29:03 PM1/20/10
On Jan 20, 7:35 pm, Gelatinous Mutant Coconut

I hope this comment was in jest?

Because, if I may point out, people are already free to write 7DRLs
whenever they happen to like. There is no need to wait for one
particular week of the year to write them. The 7DRL originally was
just a free standing challenge before a consensus grew that it would
be useful to focus it down to a shared week.

To spread it over a month would defeat this goal. The challenge
becomes diffused rather than focused. It really becomes little more
than a "year of the 7drls" which, I will note, is business-as-usual.

I'd also like to point out that the current structure actually gives
quite substantial freedom in when to participate. The weekends tend
to be the most likely to have external issues interfere. The 9-day
window allows for one to pick either weekend to work on. And, this
very call for dates helps ensure that the period picked is the best
for all!

I will also point out that having a fixed week actually can make it
*easier* to ensure you can book time to participate. Other people can
better understand when there is a fixed week then when you have to
book one week inside a month period. The latter they can always
demand you move to another week, until, with conflicting demands, you
find yourself not participating. The fixed week lets you plan your
time.

So, yes, in the end the chosen week may not be ideal for you. It may
even be the worst possible week. But, in the end, this is a
*challenge*, not a cake walk. And part of this challenge, and, I will
note, the only thing which differs it from writing a 7DRL at any other
time of the year, is that it has that tight 9-day window. So, from my
perspective, the challenge is already as lax as it can be without
losing what it set out to achieve.

Nik Coughlin

Jan 20, 2010, 8:59:36 PM1/20/10
On 21/01/2010 2:29 pm, Jeff Lait wrote:
> On Jan 20, 7:35 pm, Gelatinous Mutant Coconut
> <gelatinousmutantcoco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am *very* much in favour of this idea.
>>
>> Why not make it entirely flexible and simply declare 2010 the Year of
>> the 7DRL?
>
> I hope this comment was in jest?
>
> Because, if I may point out, people are already free to write 7DRLs
> whenever they happen to like. There is no need to wait for one
> particular week of the year to write them. The 7DRL originally was
> just a free standing challenge before a consensus grew that it would
> be useful to focus it down to a shared week.

> So, yes, in the end the chosen week may not be ideal for you. It may
> even be the worst possible week. But, in the end, this is a
> *challenge*, not a cake walk. And part of this challenge, and, I will
> note, the only thing which differs it from writing a 7DRL at any other
> time of the year, is that it has that tight 9-day window. So, from my
> perspective, the challenge is already as lax as it can be without
> losing what it set out to achieve.

Makes sense. I'm convinced.

corremn

Jan 20, 2010, 9:31:34 PM1/20/10

Aarrrrgggghhhh....

However I am still annoyed I missed last years tight window because my
wife went in to labour :p.

Nik Coughlin

Jan 20, 2010, 10:17:48 PM1/20/10
On 21/01/2010 3:31 pm, corremn wrote:
> On Jan 21, 11:59 am, Nik Coughlin<nrkn....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21/01/2010 2:29 pm, Jeff Lait wrote:

>>> Because, if I may point out, people are already free to write 7DRLs
>>> whenever they happen to like. There is no need to wait for one
>>> particular week of the year to write them. The 7DRL originally was
>>> just a free standing challenge before a consensus grew that it would
>>> be useful to focus it down to a shared week.

>>> So, yes, in the end the chosen week may not be ideal for you. It may
>>> even be the worst possible week. But, in the end, this is a
>>> *challenge*, not a cake walk. And part of this challenge, and, I will
>>> note, the only thing which differs it from writing a 7DRL at any other
>>> time of the year, is that it has that tight 9-day window. So, from my
>>> perspective, the challenge is already as lax as it can be without
>>> losing what it set out to achieve.
>>
>> Makes sense. I'm convinced.
>
> Aarrrrgggghhhh....
>
> However I am still annoyed I missed last years tight window because my
> wife went in to labour :p.

What changed my outlook on it is Jeff's argument that you're free to do
*a* 7drl anytime, but this is for *the* 7drl, hence, 7 days :)

Dirk Zimmermann

Jan 21, 2010, 12:23:31 AM1/21/10
On Jan 20, 8:00 pm, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th

Week 1-3 for me. If it comes to all weeks being equally good/bad I opt
for week 1.

--
Dirk
http://blog.dirkz.com

elig

Jan 21, 2010, 3:46:09 AM1/21/10
Any of the weeks will work for me, but I'd prefer #2 or 3. I can't
wait :D

Pender

Jan 21, 2010, 10:29:06 AM1/21/10
Week 1 or week 3 for me.

Luchino - Samel

Jan 21, 2010, 12:04:38 PM1/21/10
There's always time for a 7drl, any of the 3 weeks is good for me

flend

Jan 21, 2010, 6:49:49 PM1/21/10
On 20 Jan, 19:00, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th
>
> Please post a reply to this message listing *all* weeks that you would
> be able & willing to participate.

I'm away for the first 2 weeks, so I can only do week 3.

Looking forward to it,

flend

Darren Grey

Jan 22, 2010, 1:58:15 AM1/22/10
On Jan 20, 7:00 pm, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th

Week 1 for me. I'm excited!

--
Darren Grey

Michael Dürwald

Jan 22, 2010, 3:24:55 PM1/22/10

#3 ( test with news-pan)

MSTK

Jan 22, 2010, 6:26:35 PM1/22/10
I'd like to try this. I'm new to the roguelike development scene, but
I've had extensive experience in many languages. I might try to build
one in Ruby...although, I'm still thinking of ideas.
Any of the weeks is good for me!

- mstk

Martin Read

Jan 22, 2010, 10:33:45 PM1/22/10
Jeff Lait <torespon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Because, if I may point out, people are already free to write 7DRLs
>whenever they happen to like.

Indeed (blowing my own trumpet) the first-acknowledged 7DRL was written
on precisely such a basis.
--
\_\/_/ turbulence is certainty turbulence is friction between you and me
\ / every time we try to impose order we create chaos

Matt_S

Jan 23, 2010, 6:45:16 PM1/23/10
I'd like week 3 best, but any week works for me. This will be my
first 7DRL.

Timofei Shatrov

Jan 24, 2010, 2:56:43 AM1/24/10
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:00:30 -0800 (PST), Jeff Lait
<torespon...@hotmail.com> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Thus, the available weeks are:
>
>1) February 20th to February 28th
>2) February 27th to March 7th
>3) March 6th to March 14th

Week 1. That is, if I get around to it this time around.

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... | ue il |
|But we can take them on! | @ma |
| (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip) |______________|

Derrick Creamer

Jan 24, 2010, 5:15:23 PM1/24/10
On Jan 20, 2:00 pm, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is now time for the sixth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!
> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th

Week 3 for me.

256

Jan 24, 2010, 7:40:45 PM1/24/10
> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th

This is going to me my first year taking part. My wife is due March 4,
so week one is best for me.

-256

Barry

Jan 24, 2010, 8:30:43 PM1/24/10
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:00:30 -0800, Jeff Lait wrote:

> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th

This will be my first competition! I'll cast my vote for week #1. All
this waiting is killing me.

idontexist

Jan 25, 2010, 12:13:38 AM1/25/10
Week 1 for me.

Slash

Jan 26, 2010, 7:45:19 AM1/26/10
On Jan 20, 2:00 pm, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is now time for the sixth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!

> Thus, the available weeks are:
>

> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th

I'd vote for the first one.

--
Slashie

Geoffrey White

Jan 26, 2010, 9:12:48 AM1/26/10
> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th

Week 1 is better than the other two, for me.

- Geoffrey White

Sir_Lewk

Jan 26, 2010, 11:02:41 AM1/26/10
On Jan 20, 2:00 pm, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is now time for the sixth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!
>
> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th
>
> Please post a reply to this message listing *all* weeks that you would
> be able & willing to participate.
>
> Ie, I would post and say: "I can attend all three weeks".  If you
> reply more than once, the latest reply will be used as the final
> result.
>
> Next Wednesday I'll take a count to see which week has the most
> votes.  In case of tie, the *earliest* date will be picked.  This is
> designed to minimize interference with GDC, which is March 9th-13th
> this year.
> --
> Jeff Lait
> (POWDER:http://www.zincland.com/powder)

Week 3 is definetly the best option for me, the other weeks would be
doable as well though.

Jeff Lait

Jan 26, 2010, 12:19:57 PM1/26/10
On Jan 20, 2:00 pm, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is now time for the sixth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!
>
> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th
>
> Please post a reply to this message listing *all* weeks that you would
> be able & willing to participate.

I shall be willing to brave any of the three weeks.

corremn

Jan 26, 2010, 5:59:18 PM1/26/10

Ha, happened to me last year, right in the middle, good luck.

deej

Jan 26, 2010, 8:29:32 PM1/26/10
Week 3 for me, but only because the end of that week is the beginning
of Spring Break for me, if only there was a week 4! Either of the
other two weeks would end up getting maybe two days of work
available...

-eben

p03tic5ickn355

Feb 11, 2010, 5:37:57 PM2/11/10
> 1) February 20th to February 28th
> 2) February 27th to March 7th
> 3) March 6th to March 14th

I can manage it during the second week. Sounds like fun!