7DRL Attempt - Expedition

Slash

Mar 7, 2009, 10:23:12 AM3/7/09
Hi there!

As of Saturday, March 7, 10:23 GMT -5, I announce the start of my
yearly roguelike crusade

Advancements will be posted at http://santiagoz.com/blog

--
Slashie
http://slashie.net

Slash

Mar 8, 2009, 4:19:46 AM3/8/09
On Mar 7, 10:23 am, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> As of Saturday, March 7, 10:23 GMT -5, I announce the start of my
> yearly roguelike crusade
>
> Advancements will be posted athttp://santiagoz.com/blog

End of Day 1

Today I could invest a lot of time into the project, it’s a great
start!

Against all odds, I succeeded at disassembling the source of CvRL
1.26, extracting and generalizing all of the useful. There is a long
road to travel, but it is working, the SWORE engine is up and running,
powered up by libjcsi and backing up a proof of concept implementation
of “Expedition”

So yeah, what is Expedition, if it’s not my 7DRL project for 2009!
Details will be slowly unveiled, day by day.

Info, Pictures and Stats at http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/?p=447

Slash

Mar 9, 2009, 12:25:11 AM3/9/09
On Mar 7, 10:23 am, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> As of Saturday, March 7, 10:23 GMT -5, I announce the start of my
> yearly roguelike crusade
>
> Advancements will be posted at http://santiagoz.com/blog

End of Day 2

The object model has been implemented, I also worked a bit on the UI
side. The SWORE engine is proving to be useful and reusable for other
projects :)

I also bought a miniature expeditionary, for inspiration!

http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-080309-3.png
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-080309-4.jpg

Info, Pictures and Stats at http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/?p=450

--
Slashie
http://slashie.net

Slash

Mar 10, 2009, 12:36:21 AM3/10/09
On Mar 7, 10:23 am, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> As of Saturday, March 7, 10:23 GMT -5, I announce the start of my
> yearly roguelike crusade
>
> Advancements will be posted at http://santiagoz.com/blog

End of Day 3

Didn’t advance much tonight, but I got stores and music working

http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-090309-1.png
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-090309-2.png

Info, Pictures and Stats at http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/?p=455

Slash

Mar 11, 2009, 12:31:34 AM3/11/09
On Mar 7, 10:23 am, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> As of Saturday, March 7, 10:23 GMT -5, I announce the start of my
> yearly roguelike crusade
>
> Advancements will be posted at http://santiagoz.com/blog

End of Day 4

* Added the rest of stores in the town.
* Implemented Food Consumption and calendar rolling.
* Added “wilderness” location (the world is wild, isn’t it?)

Pics
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-100309-1.png
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-100309-2.png
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-100309-3.png

Info, Pictures and Stats at http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/?p=460

Slash

Mar 12, 2009, 2:40:45 AM3/12/09
On Mar 7, 10:23 am, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> As of Saturday, March 7, 10:23 GMT -5, I announce the start of my
> yearly roguelike crusade
>
> Advancements will be posted at http://santiagoz.com/blog

End of Day 5

Invested a lot of time into a Map Writer component (to create maps
based on an image)

Also worked on the landing part, it is half working now.

http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-110309-1.png

http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-110309-2.png

Gelatinous Mutant Coconut

Mar 12, 2009, 8:45:08 PM3/12/09
It's hard to tell from just the screenshots, but this looks pretty
similar in spirit to the SNES game "Uncharted Waters: New Horizons"; I
have always wished there would be more games of a similar nature.
(Which reminds me, I really need to look into trying some of the older
exploration game classics like "The Seven Cities of Gold".)

I'm looking forward to playing Expedition when it gets released!

Slash

Mar 13, 2009, 12:56:04 AM3/13/09
On Mar 7, 10:23 am, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> As of Saturday, March 7, 10:23 GMT -5, I announce the start of my
> yearly roguelike crusade
>
> Advancements will be posted at http://santiagoz.com/blog

End of Day 6

Fatigue is striking…

I finished ship to expedition transferences and equipment caché
building. Next is town making.

http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-120309-1.png
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-120309-2.png
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-120309-3.png

Slash

Mar 13, 2009, 12:56:15 AM3/13/09
On Mar 12, 7:45 pm, Gelatinous Mutant Coconut

Thank you!

--
Slashie

Matthew Allen

Mar 13, 2009, 12:52:59 PM3/13/09
I'm also excited about it. I've always thought a sea-faring, island-
hopping type game way a great way to mesh random overland map
generation and the RL genre. I'm really curious to see your
interpretation of it.

Slash

Mar 14, 2009, 11:25:15 AM3/14/09
On Mar 7, 10:23 am, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> As of Saturday, March 7, 10:23 GMT -5, I announce the start of my
> yearly roguelike crusade
>
> Advancements will be posted athttp://santiagoz.com/blog

End of Day 7

Finished! (kind of) I am waiting for the map world data to arrive
(left it at office), then will release

Slash

Mar 14, 2009, 4:42:15 PM3/14/09
The time is over!

I will detail all my journey, the lessons learned and the features of
the game in the next post!

For now, you can download the game at http://santiagoz.com/blog

Beware, the game on its current status takes about 30 seconds to load
the world map!

I (as usual) hoped to acomplish much more, but (as usual) time was not
enough. I think I forgot the lesson from previous years and instead
went for a scope even bigger than then. I am however pretty content
with the results. Also, the source will be released soon.

All your comments are welcome

Pics
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-140309-1.png
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-140309-2.png
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-140309-3.png
http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-140309-4.png

Slash

Mar 14, 2009, 5:54:45 PM3/14/09
On Mar 14, 3:42 pm, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The time is over!
>
> I will detail all my journey, the lessons learned and the features of
> the game in the next post!

These short instructions may come in handy:

================
Expedition
The New World
================

Made by Slash for the 2009 7DRL Challenge

Stock up your expedition in your town and travel to the new world.

Commands

Directional Keys: Move Expedition around, bump enemies to engage on
melee
c: Create Equipment Caché: Allows you to store equipment temporary
b: Build a town: Requires 200 wood and 100 people.
r: Rain arrows: Attack an enemy expedition with a volley of deadly
projectiles

Landing: To leave your ship, approach land and bump into it. A menu
will popup, allowing you to transfer equipment from your ship to the
expedition.

Ship Storage: You can return to the ship to transfer equipment from
and to the expedition, as well as if you want to board it again.

Food: Food will drop steadly every day, you can get food by buying it
on Spain or obtain it from dead enemy expeditions.

> For now, you can download the game athttp://santiagoz.com/blog

> Beware, the game on its current status takes about 30 seconds to load
> the world map!
>
> I (as usual) hoped to acomplish much more, but (as usual) time was not
> enough. I think I forgot the lesson from previous years and instead
> went for a scope even bigger than then. I am however pretty content
> with the results. Also, the source will be released soon.
>
> All your comments are welcome
>

> Picshttp://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-1...http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-1...http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-1...http://www.santiagoz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/expedition-1...

Darren Grey

Mar 15, 2009, 8:29:43 PM3/15/09
On Mar 14, 8:42 pm, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The time is over!
>
> I will detail all my journey, the lessons learned and the features of
> the game in the next post!
>
> For now, you can download the game athttp://santiagoz.com/blog

> Beware, the game on its current status takes about 30 seconds to load
> the world map!
>
> I (as usual) hoped to acomplish much more, but (as usual) time was not
> enough. I think I forgot the lesson from previous years and instead
> went for a scope even bigger than then. I am however pretty content
> with the results. Also, the source will be released soon.
>
> All your comments are welcome

Looks really interesting, but I couldn't get anywhere with it.
Firstly I got trapped in a shop - took me ages to figure out space was
the only way to cancel and leave. Then when I tried leaving the
harbour the Y/n prompt simply didn't work. Nothing I hit could make
it either go on the ship or leave the Y/n prompt. Retried a few times
and still couldn't get anywhere. Also as much as I bashed the
keyboard I could find no way of stopping the damned midi :(

Am I doing something wrong my end, or is there some bug in the prompt?

--
Darren Grey

Slash

Mar 15, 2009, 9:58:49 PM3/15/09

As I said, the world map will take a while to load! about 30-45
seconds, just be a bit patient :)

I will probably have it "fixed" this week (that mean, not loading a
huge map but instead read portions to memory) (7DRLs are allowed to
have technical fixes :))

--
Slashie

Slash

Mar 15, 2009, 11:42:46 PM3/15/09
On Mar 14, 3:42 pm, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The time is over!

A video is available at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX3nPpDIOmg

As usual with roguelikes, video quality suffers hard. Also, the sound
sounds like hell, sounds much better ingame ;)

Have a look, bye

> I will detail all my journey, the lessons learned and the features of
> the game in the next post!
>

> For now, you can download the game athttp://santiagoz.com/blog

> Beware, the game on its current status takes about 30 seconds to load
> the world map!
>
> I (as usual) hoped to acomplish much more, but (as usual) time was not
> enough. I think I forgot the lesson from previous years and instead
> went for a scope even bigger than then. I am however pretty content
> with the results. Also, the source will be released soon.
>
> All your comments are welcome

Matthew Allen

Mar 16, 2009, 11:17:10 AM3/16/09
Unfortunately, PPC macs don't do java 1.6... I'm stuck in the dark
ages at 1.5 unless I go to the trouble of getting X running. Any way
you can compile it for 1.4 or 1.5... at least from the command line
its a simple 'javac -target 1.4'. Baring that, can you release the
source so I can struggle with it?

Slash

Mar 16, 2009, 1:05:08 PM3/16/09

Ooops... forgot my laptop at work has 1.6 as default JDK! Will compile
again at home :)

Also, the source will be released soon... ish... :)

--
Slashie