7DRL: War of Wizards

Icey

Mar 9, 2007, 7:27:43 PM3/9/07
It's just gone midnight here in the UK, so I can begin working on my
7DRL!

It will be 2-player wizard-versus-wizard game in the roguelike style.
A complete specification has been created here:
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=War_of_Wizards

Best of luck to everyone taking part!

Icey

Mar 9, 2007, 10:44:23 PM3/9/07
On Mar 10, 1:27 am, "Icey" <iceyi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's just gone midnight here in the UK, so I can begin working on my
> 7DRL!
>
> It will be 2-player wizard-versus-wizard game in the roguelike style.
> A complete specification has been created here:http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=War_of_Wiz...

> Best of luck to everyone taking part!

3 hours and 462 lines of code done so far. Time to go to sleep.

Done:

* Setting up winsock controls for sending data
* Generating, sending, interpreting and displaying random dungeon
layouts
* Generating player start locations
* Creating and interpreting location data
* Player moving. Each player can move five squares and then control
switches to the opponent

Screenshot:

http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow1.gif

The screenshot shows both instances running on the same computer,
because that's how I test it. All the data is sent via the Windows
Winsock controls, so it could just as easily be running on two
computers in different countries.

Shawn Moore

Mar 9, 2007, 11:20:32 PM3/9/07
On Mar 9, 10:44 pm, "Icey" <iceyi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 1:27 am, "Icey" <iceyi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It will be 2-player wizard-versus-wizard game in the roguelike style.

> Screenshot:
>
> http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow1.gif

That looks and sounds pretty neat. It's too bad it's in Visual Basic
though, since I'm a Linux user. Ah well, best of luck to you!

Shawn M Moore

Icey

Mar 10, 2007, 12:10:50 PM3/10/07

Thanks Shawn. One day I will learn a cross-platform programming
language :)

3 more hours put into the game. Up to 708 lines of code.

* Message area
* Player chatting
* Turns can be ended early
* A new game can be started by the controller at any time
* Win code written in
* Players are given three random spells each turn
* Magic effects
* Written in two magic spells
* Demolition (destroys rocks around the caster)
* Restoration (heals one hit point to the caster)

Screenshot:

http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow2a.gif
http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow2b.gif

Mario Donick

Mar 10, 2007, 12:31:14 PM3/10/07
Icey wrote:

> 3 more hours put into the game. Up to 708 lines of code.

It looks really good so far. If it works, it could be a real cool game! Keep
it up!

Mario

--
LambdaRogue: http://donick.net/lambdarogue.html
- news, documentation, behind the scenes and downloads

Icey

Mar 12, 2007, 5:18:32 PM3/12/07
Another few hours put into the game. 887 lines of code in total.

Done:

* Improved various bits of code to make them simpler or faster
* After using up all moves, a spell can then be cast, instead of just
ending the turn
* Ripped the LoS code out of my main roguelike. The code is not in use
yet, except for one spell
* Tidied up the interface
* Written in more spells:
* Random: Casts a random other spell
* Blink: Moves the caster to a random location
* Mass Blink: Moves both players to random locations
* Fire Storm: Fire erupts on every square the caster can see
(screenshot 3a)
* Rays of Cold: Rays go in four directions from the caster, which
penetrate walls (screenshot 3b)
* Navigate: Tunnels of random length appear from four directions
from the caster

I've decided against writing in potions, because I want the focus to
be on the magic created by the wizards.

Screenshots:

http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow3a.gif
http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow3b.gif
http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow3c.gif

The game is basically finished, because it has everything I want, is
playable and winnable. I would still like to do some extra things
though:

* More spells
* Improve code
* Comments
* LoS option
* Real testing

Mario Donick

Mar 12, 2007, 7:18:22 PM3/12/07
Icey wrote:

> The game is basically finished

Great! I'm looking forward to play it.

> * More spells

Always good.

> * Improve code

Nice. ;)

> * Real testing

Today everything is beta ;)

Icey

Mar 13, 2007, 7:25:51 PM3/13/07
Massive thanks to Mario for testing the game with me and providing
lots of great ideas. Here's some screenshots of our testing:

http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow4a.gif
http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow4b.gif

Icey

Mar 14, 2007, 10:02:34 PM3/14/07
Here's Wednesday's update:

* Log messages are displayed in colour to make them easier to read.
White for connection messages, yellow for magic messages, red for
opponent chat messages and green for player chat messages.
* Line of Sight implemented. The dungeon is no longer made of glass
walls!!
* The number of wins and loses is tracked during each session.
* Players can set their handles, which are then use when chatting and
to display HP.
* Offensive magical spells are blocked by walls.
* The controller can release control to the other player.
* Fixed a bug which crashed the game when resizing to a small window.
* New magic spells:
* Magic Mapping: Reveals a random part of the map to the caster.
* Forced Forget: Makes the opponent forget the map layout.
* Detection: Shows the location of the opponent.

There are now 1212 lines of code.

Screenshots:

http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow5a.gif
http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow5b.gif
http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow5c.gif
http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/images/wow5d.gif

icey

Mar 16, 2007, 3:44:37 PM3/16/07
It is done! 1293 lines of code. Here's the ReadMe file, which contains
the download link.

== War of Wizards ==

War of Wizards is a two-player wizard-versus-wizard battle of magic in
the roguelike style.

This game was created during the 7DRL Contest 2007. Details about the
creation can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/2a65kd

War of Wizards can be downloaded from:
http://iceyboard.no-ip.org/files/War_of_Wizards.zip

== Requirements ==

Windows.

VB6 Run Time Library - If you need this, you'll get an error about
missing msvbvm60.dll. The library can be download from:
http://tinyurl.com/37lyd

Winsock Library - If you need this, you'll get an error about missing
MSWINSCK.OCX. This file is included with the game, so just copy it to
c:\windows\system32\ and then go to Start > Run and enter:
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\MSWINSCK.OCX

== Playing ==

War of Wizards is a two player game that's played over the Internet.
Each player is a wizard in a random dungeon. Each turn they can move
around and are given three random spells that they can cast. When a
wizard is killed the other wizard wins.

In testing I've had a few problems with connecting to other computers,
but hopefully you will have more luck than I had.

To play, one player should open the game and go to Connection > Listen.
They should tell the other player their IP address, who would then
open the game and go to Connection > Connect... and enter the IP
address.

You can find your IP address by going to http://whatismyip.com

== Controls ==

Control is done using the number pad, except for chatting.

Numberpad 12346789 ... Movement
/ * - ................ Cast spell
Enter ................ End turn
Space ................ Chat

== Spells ==

Blink ........... Moves the caster to a random new location.

Demolition ...... Dungeon walls around the caster are destroyed.

Detection ....... The location of the opponent is known to you.

Firestorm ....... Fire erupts from the caster, burning anyone around.

Forced Forget ... The opponent forgets the dungeon layout.

Lightning Bolts . Four massive rays shoot out from the caster.

Magic Mapping ... A section of the dungeon becomes known to you.

Mass Blink ...... Moves both wizards to new random locations.

Navigate ........ Paths are created in four directions from the caster.

Rays of Cold .... Eight magical rays shoot out from the caster.

== Thank You ==

Thank you to Mario Donick for testing the game and giving me lots of
great feedback.

Thank you to Slash for his words of wisdom and for promising to test
it in the future.

== Testing ==

To test War of Wizards without playing against someone over the
Internet, open the game and press Shift+F12. This will create another
instance of the application. Press Control+L to make one instance
listen then switch to the other instance. Press Control+C and then
connect to 127.0.0.1

You can then play as both players, by switching between each window.

== License ==

Paprika
Copyright (C) 2007 Icey

(at your option) any later version.

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.

== Contact ==

icey...@gmail.com
http://iceyboard.no-ip.org

capmango

Mar 16, 2007, 4:53:52 PM3/16/07
Cool, can't wait to try it (but I have to finish my 7DRL first). But
shoudn't you post to rec.games.roguelike.announce?
-Glenn

Icey

Mar 16, 2007, 5:02:01 PM3/16/07

Already done :) Have to wait for it to be authorised before it'll
appear.

Mario Donick

Mar 16, 2007, 5:56:47 PM3/16/07
icey wrote:

> It is done!

Great! I will have a look at the final version soon. =)

Mario Donick

Mar 16, 2007, 6:43:45 PM3/16/07
> icey wrote:
>
>> It is done!

Me once again. Currently I'm writing a text about WoW, for RTM. There I had
the idea that your game would be ideal for a contest, with gold, silver and
bronze awards. Like a chess championship, although it's not chess, of
course, but rather tactical and needs some thinking ... If anybody has
interest in such a contest, tell me.

Mario

Mario Donick

Mar 16, 2007, 6:49:32 PM3/16/07
I just tried to run the game on Linux. It works without any problems using
Wine (tried with Wine 0.9.32).

Mario

Icey

Mar 17, 2007, 10:30:45 AM3/17/07
Mario Donick wrote:
> Me once again. Currently I'm writing a text about WoW, for RTM. There I had
> the idea that your game would be ideal for a contest, with gold, silver and
> bronze awards. Like a chess championship, although it's not chess, of
> course, but rather tactical and needs some thinking ... If anybody has
> interest in such a contest, tell me.

That sounds cool :) Give me a shout via e-mail or IM, if you want me
to answer any questions or would like to play the latest version.

Thanks for testing that it works on Linux via Wine. Being "Windows
only" was my only problem with VB6, but it seems that problem no
longer exists.

Mario Donick

Mar 17, 2007, 10:40:25 AM3/17/07
Icey wrote:

> Mario Donick wrote:
>> Me once again. Currently I'm writing a text about WoW, for RTM. There I
>> had the idea that your game would be ideal for a contest, with gold,
>> silver and bronze awards. Like a chess championship, although it's not
>> chess, of course, but rather tactical and needs some thinking ... If
>> anybody has interest in such a contest, tell me.
>
> That sounds cool :) Give me a shout via e-mail or IM, if you want me
> to answer any questions or would like to play the latest version.

The latest version I have is 1.0.0 - is there already a newer one?

> Thanks for testing that it works on Linux via Wine. Being "Windows
> only" was my only problem with VB6, but it seems that problem no
> longer exists.

As long as a VB6 program doesn't need any special controls which only run on
Windows, it works rather good. Happily the winsock.dll does the same =)

Mario

Icey

Mar 17, 2007, 2:41:45 PM3/17/07
On Mar 17, 3:40 pm, Mario Donick <mario.don...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The latest version I have is 1.0.0 - is there already a newer one?

Sorry, I was being a bit confusing there. I meant newer than the
version we tested. 1.0.0 is the latest version. I'll be keeping with
the 7DRL tradition of only releasing new updates to fix bugs, if
necessary.

> As long as a VB6 program doesn't need any special controls which only run on
> Windows, it works rather good. Happily the winsock.dll does the same =)

I'm pleasantly surprised that Wine is so advanced. I assumed it worked
the other way round, that the Wine developers found a specific
application and then made it work with Linux. I didn't realise it was
so versatile and worked with applications they haven't even heard of.
That's good to know.

I'll make sure my main roguelike doesn't use any other controls or
libraries than it does now to ensure compatibility. I can't think of
anything else it would need, so that'll be fine to do :)

Mario Donick

Mar 17, 2007, 2:55:59 PM3/17/07
Icey wrote:

> On Mar 17, 3:40 pm, Mario Donick <mario.don...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> The latest version I have is 1.0.0 - is there already a newer one?
>
> Sorry, I was being a bit confusing there. I meant newer than the
> version we tested. 1.0.0 is the latest version. I'll be keeping with
> the 7DRL tradition of only releasing new updates to fix bugs, if
> necessary.

But you could build a bigger network-roguelike on the base of WoW ;)

> I'm pleasantly surprised that Wine is so advanced. I assumed it worked
> the other way round, that the Wine developers found a specific
> application and then made it work with Linux.

No, they just try to mimic a Windows system as good as possuble :)

> I'll make sure my main roguelike doesn't use any other controls or
> libraries than it does now to ensure compatibility. I can't think of
> anything else it would need, so that'll be fine to do :)

Paprika runs fine, just scrolling is a little bit slow with Wine.