CastlevaniaRL 1.21-t1, graphics version, released!

1 view

Slash

Sep 15, 2006, 8:10:55 PM9/15/06
Hello all...

I have released the first graphics version of CastlevaniaRL!

Lots of changes from 1.2a to 1.21 gameplay-wise, and off couse,
graphics!, thanks to all playtesters and people.

Some of the features

* Graphics
* Playable Prologue sequence
* Plot scenes added
* Ingame castle map
* Music reselected
* Some Boss monsters added
* Message buffer
* Maps totally restructured, alternate areas
* Actions can be targetted to SELF
* Solid transparent cells
* Soundcard check before startup
* Ingame Stat descriptions

See screenshots at the "CastlevaniaRL 1.21 Graphics Version" section on
the CRL Website.

Downloads at http://crl.santiagoz.com

Requirements: Java JRE 1.4.2+

Hope to get your comments... thanks!

--
Slash
[http://www.santiagoz.com]

Mario Donick

Sep 15, 2006, 9:02:54 PM9/15/06
Slash wrote:

> Hope to get your comments... thanks!

Currently i'm trying it; it looks really good, but some problems (using Suse
Linux 10.1, KDE, Java RTE 1.5.0_07, german keyboard layout):

- while character creation, i tried to press enter to confirm my class, but
it had to be done with space (a hint would be nice)
- I can't press ? to call the help. The key press seems not be recognized
- the window has no title bar which really annoys me
- no sound (but that's probably because of KDE's artsd)
- numpad keys don't work - I don't know if that's because I'm using a laptop
numpad (but with all other programs it works)
- at the moment, i have a blinking text-cursor in a black area of the
window - if i press cursor up, the cursor moves up; but my character does
not - if i press other keys, they are written directly in the window.....
seems that I have discovered a hidden text field...? Have to kill the
process.
- now I'm stuck in a dialog window where Melduck tells me "we couldn't be on
a worse situation"...

...is CRL 1.21 considered as stable or still beta...?

--
Welcome to a lost, apocalyptic, magic, beautiful, dark and absurd world
http://donick.net/LambdaRogue

Crypt

Sep 16, 2006, 4:57:14 AM9/16/06
> I have released the first graphics version of CastlevaniaRL!

Yeah ! Rock'n Roll !

Crypt

Sep 16, 2006, 5:15:01 AM9/16/06
>- while character creation, i tried to press enter to confirm my class, but
>it had to be done with space (a hint would be nice)
>- I can't press ? to call the help. The key press seems not be recognized

I have the same two troubles (not the others).

And :

- the 'm' (map) doesn't seem to work.
- each time a use the whip, the console says that its SFX is not registered.
(warning! effect SFX_WP_LEATHER_WHIP is not registered) (the same with chain
whip)

Your graphic tiles and interface screens really rocks :)

I see you use different tiles for night and day. Isn't it possible to apply some
kind of filter instead of multiplying the number of tiles ?

Slash

Sep 16, 2006, 11:01:59 AM9/16/06

Mario Donick wrote:
> Slash wrote:
>
> > Hope to get your comments... thanks!
>
> Currently i'm trying it; it looks really good, but some problems (using Suse
> Linux 10.1, KDE, Java RTE 1.5.0_07, german keyboard layout):
>
> - while character creation, i tried to press enter to confirm my class, but
> it had to be done with space (a hint would be nice)

RFE306 Created

> - I can't press ? to call the help. The key press seems not be recognized

RFE307 Created, you can use F1 though

> - the window has no title bar which really annoys me

What do you need it for, to move the window?

> - no sound (but that's probably because of KDE's artsd)

I tried it on a linux distribution yesterday and it worked... don't
know much about KDE's artsd :P did you work a way around it?

> - numpad keys don't work - I don't know if that's because I'm using a laptop
> numpad (but with all other programs it works)

Did you turn numlock on?

> - at the moment, i have a blinking text-cursor in a black area of the
> window - if i press cursor up, the cursor moves up; but my character does
> not - if i press other keys, they are written directly in the window.....
> seems that I have discovered a hidden text field...? Have to kill the
> process.

Can you send me a screenshot?

> - now I'm stuck in a dialog window where Melduck tells me "we couldn't be on
> a worse situation"...

This may be due to the focus being on the hidden textfield...

> ...is CRL 1.21 considered as stable or still beta...?

The graphics version is a beta, the game is pretty stable on the
console side though; I will release the dual UI version (console/GFX)
later today.

Thanks for your reports!

Slash

Sep 16, 2006, 11:04:19 AM9/16/06

Crypt wrote:
> >- while character creation, i tried to press enter to confirm my class, but
> >it had to be done with space (a hint would be nice)
> >- I can't press ? to call the help. The key press seems not be recognized
>

> I have the same two troubles (not the others).
>
> And :
>
> - the 'm' (map) doesn't seem to work.

Try using 'M' ;)

> - each time a use the whip, the console says that its SFX is not registered.
> (warning! effect SFX_WP_LEATHER_WHIP is not registered) (the same with chain
> whip)

The GFX effects for the melee weapons havent been implemented yet.

> Your graphic tiles and interface screens really rocks :)

Thanks ;)

> I see you use different tiles for night and day. Isn't it possible to apply some
> kind of filter instead of multiplying the number of tiles ?

Yes, it is possible... for now it was the easiest solution but I will
look forward for this.

Thanks for your comments,

--
Slash

Crypt

Sep 17, 2006, 8:43:44 AM9/17/06
>Try using 'M' ;)

as you can guess, i've already tried this ;)

PS: Windows XP / JAVA version 1.5.0_07-b03

Crypt

Sep 17, 2006, 9:18:37 AM9/17/06

well, in fact, because i use an AZERTY keyboard and because i'm used to play
QWERTY RLs i've tried ? and shift ? (which is "m" and "M" on a qwerty
keyboard.)

In fact, Shift m works.

Mario Donick

Sep 17, 2006, 9:49:03 AM9/17/06
Crypt wrote:

> well, in fact, because i use an AZERTY keyboard and because i'm used to
> play
> QWERTY RLs i've tried ? and shift ? (which is "m" and "M" on a qwerty
> keyboard.)

Seems that my RL is not the only one with problems regarding input of
different keyboards. There should be a common solution for this... In LR, I
now eliminated all keys that are not the same on all variants... No M, no
Z, no Y, no A, no ., no W. Side effect was a massive simplification of
handling of the game.

Mario

Sabreman

Sep 17, 2006, 12:51:03 PM9/17/06

Slash wrote:
> Hope to get your comments... thanks!

This is great stuff. I'm quite a fan of CastlevaniaRL, which I consider
to be one of the most purely fun RLs I've tried. This one isn't running
perfectly for me yet but hopefully the little things will get ironed
out. I will mention a couple of things:

The music seems to sometimes work and sometimes not, for no discernable
reason. I loved the way the music works in the original version,
changing tune immediately on the change from day to night. It made
things very atmospheric.

There doesn't seem to be a way out of selecting certain actions you
don't want to do. Mainly for example when you choose to throw something
but then change your mind. Pressing Escape in this instance doesn't
cancel the choice, and I find I have to simply throw the item onto the
floor then pick it up again.

? doesn't work for me but F1 does, although returning from the help
screen seems to only work if I press space twice. Also, M doesn't work
for map (I'm using a QWERTY keyboard layout).

On the whole it's shaping up very nicely though, great work!

Slash

Sep 17, 2006, 8:21:10 PM9/17/06

Sabreman wrote:
> Slash wrote:
> > Hope to get your comments... thanks!
>
> This is great stuff. I'm quite a fan of CastlevaniaRL, which I consider
> to be one of the most purely fun RLs I've tried. This one isn't running
> perfectly for me yet but hopefully the little things will get ironed
> out. I will mention a couple of things:
Thanks

> The music seems to sometimes work and sometimes not, for no discernable
> reason. I loved the way the music works in the original version,
> changing tune immediately on the change from day to night. It made
> things very atmospheric.

Does this happen with midi files? is there any warning message? the
music is supposed to work the same than former versions... remember
some areas have the same music for night and day..

> There doesn't seem to be a way out of selecting certain actions you
> don't want to do. Mainly for example when you choose to throw something
> but then change your mind. Pressing Escape in this instance doesn't
> cancel the choice, and I find I have to simply throw the item onto the
> floor then pick it up again.

RFE314 Created

> ? doesn't work for me but F1 does, although returning from the help
> screen seems to only work if I press space twice. Also, M doesn't work
> for map (I'm using a QWERTY keyboard layout).

Are you using uppercase M?

> On the whole it's shaping up very nicely though, great work!

Thanks!

--
Slash
www.santiagoz.com

Crypt

Sep 18, 2006, 2:40:32 AM9/18/06
(Azerty keyboard)

- Sometimes it's needed to press space and sometimes left ctrl (for instance to
exit the map screen), IMO it should be the same key.

- ? for help doesn't work (nor shift ?)

- when selecting a power => "enter" works for selecting the power but doesn't
work for selecting the target (space is used instead.) Enter should be used,
it's very quick to use this key with the numpad.

- IMO when invisible it would be nice to still have a visual information of the
character location.

- The aiming cross leaves a "trail" out of the sighting range of the character
(probably because nothing is displayed in this area, filling will black squares
would solve that.) =
http://cryptmaster.free.fr/cvrlreports/c1.jpg

- When on a higher level the aiming cross position is not modified =
http://cryptmaster.free.fr/cvrlreports/c2.jpg

- Maybe a bit too much monsters appear at the same time (a matter of taste
rather than an issue. They appear very close to the character). Maybe this
could be modify by a difficulty selection at start.

Krice

Sep 18, 2006, 2:42:08 AM9/18/06
Slash kirjoitti:

> I have released the first graphics version of CastlevaniaRL!

It looks great. I died in about 10 turns:)

Crypt

Sep 18, 2006, 2:44:04 AM9/18/06
NotSerializableException when saving :

http://cryptmaster.free.fr/cvrlreports/c3.jpg

Crypt

Sep 18, 2006, 2:52:13 AM9/18/06
Here, i've pressed M , Space then another key ('s'), the Skill panel appeared
and the main screen is not refreshed when closing this panel =

http://cryptmaster.free.fr/cvrlreports/c4.jpg

Ilya Bely

Sep 17, 2006, 10:05:58 PM9/17/06
Mario Donick wrote in message <450c1c83$0$26964$9b4e...@newsspool4.arcor-online.net>:

> --nextPart16577694.dpMH3aQf3L

Please, don't post binary files in a non-binary newsgroup. Use any
of the free image hosting services and put a link in your message.
Thank you.

--
May your code work forever and never have a bug.
At your service, Ilya Bely

Mario Donick

Sep 18, 2006, 4:52:13 AM9/18/06
Ilya Bely wrote:

> Please, don't post binary files in a non-binary newsgroup. Use any
> of the free image hosting services and put a link in your message.
> Thank you.

Sorry. Was the first and the last time.

Slash

Sep 18, 2006, 9:18:19 AM9/18/06

Crypt wrote:
> (Azerty keyboard)
>
> - Sometimes it's needed to press space and sometimes left ctrl (for instance to
> exit the map screen), IMO it should be the same key.

Never touched an Azerty keyboard... so I have no clue why you would be
using left ctrl :P

> - ? for help doesn't work (nor shift ?)

Fixed on 1.22

> - when selecting a power => "enter" works for selecting the power but doesn't
> work for selecting the target (space is used instead.) Enter should be used,
> it's very quick to use this key with the numpad.

Fixed on 1.22

> - IMO when invisible it would be nice to still have a visual information of the
> character location.

RFE317 Created

> - The aiming cross leaves a "trail" out of the sighting range of the character
> (probably because nothing is displayed in this area, filling will black squares
> would solve that.) =
> http://cryptmaster.free.fr/cvrlreports/c1.jpg

BR119 Created

> - When on a higher level the aiming cross position is not modified =
> http://cryptmaster.free.fr/cvrlreports/c2.jpg

BR120 Created

> - Maybe a bit too much monsters appear at the same time (a matter of taste
> rather than an issue. They appear very close to the character). Maybe this
> could be modify by a difficulty selection at start.

RFE318 Created

Thanks for your comments,

--
Slash
www.santiagoz.com

Slash

Sep 18, 2006, 9:18:56 AM9/18/06

Crypt wrote:
> NotSerializableException when saving :
>
> http://cryptmaster.free.fr/cvrlreports/c3.jpg

Noted Already

--
Slash

Slash

Sep 18, 2006, 9:19:26 AM9/18/06

Fixed on 1.22

Thanks

--
Slash

Slash

Sep 18, 2006, 9:20:59 AM9/18/06

Fixed on 1.22

Thanks

--
Slash

Slash

Sep 18, 2006, 9:21:56 AM9/18/06

Krice wrote:
> Slash kirjoitti:
> > I have released the first graphics version of CastlevaniaRL!
>
> It looks great.
Thanks ;)

> I died in about 10 turns:)

Hehe, you gotta play more defensively :P

--
Slash
www.santiagoz.com

Crypt

Sep 19, 2006, 7:06:30 PM9/19/06
> Seems that my RL is not the only one with problems regarding input of
> different keyboards. There should be a common solution for this... In LR, I
> now eliminated all keys that are not the same on all variants... No M, no
> Z, no Y, no A, no ., no W. Side effect was a massive simplification of
> handling of the game.
>
> Mario

I wonder how my own game works on a Qwerty keyboard... :(