My First Roguelike: "Gruesome" v0.0.1

Darren Grey

Jan 17, 2009, 10:14:13 AM1/17/09
"It is dark here. You are likely to eat someone..."

http://www.gruesomegames.com/gruesome0.0.1.zip

In Gruesome you play a grue, lurking in the shadows and eating
adventurers. Movement is with the numpad or vi keys. The game ends
when you are hit by light or you reach the surface. Adventurers
cannot be assaulted directly - they are best avoided, or you can eat
them if they happen to move on top of you.

This is a very basic release - more a proof of concept than anything.
All code is completely original, even down to the line and circle
drawing algorithms (turns out I draw lines similar to Bresenham!) I
plan to make this into a much more in-depth game (stats, spells, AI,
bosses, etc), but will now likely switch to learning Python for
further development.

Any feedback or suggestions for short-term improvement are greatly
appreciated!

--
Darren Grey

Sir_Lewk

Jan 17, 2009, 3:57:15 PM1/17/09
Very nice, I like it! Compiles on linux with 'fpc' and runs great.
My only concern with if from a UI standpoint is it does not seem to
clear the screen before prompting the user for their password, making
it a bit hard to tell what happened the first time you run it. From a
gameplay standpoint, it's a rather difficult game, it took me several
attempts to eat my first adventurer. Seems it takes a decent amout of
luck for the adventurer to wander into your jaws. Such is the life of
a grue I suppose.

Overall, a nice refreshingly unique little RL, I rather enjoyed it!

regards,

Nate879

Jan 17, 2009, 4:05:04 PM1/17/09
When I try to compile this with gpc, I get the error "source.pas:21:
error: module/unit interface `crt' could not be imported". How do I
fix this?

green...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2009, 5:45:37 PM1/17/09
Surprisingly fun even for how simple it is at the moment. This has a
lot of potential so please keep it up.

Michal Bielinski

Jan 17, 2009, 6:26:11 PM1/17/09

Modifying uses clause to look like following may help:
uses GPC, CRT;
--
Michal Bielinski

Nate879

Jan 17, 2009, 7:18:42 PM1/17/09
On Jan 17, 6:26 pm, "Michal Bielinski" <Dungeon_Kee...@tlen.pl> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:05:04 +0100, Nate879 <n...@nate879.org> wrote:
> > When I try to compile this with gpc, I get the error "source.pas:21:
> > error: module/unit interface `crt' could not be imported". How do I
> > fix this?
>
> Modifying uses clause to look like following may help:
> uses GPC, CRT;
> --
> Michal Bielinski

Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. Apparently I need to get the
CRT library somewhere. Where can I get it? I use Debian GNU/Linux.

Sir_Lewk

Jan 17, 2009, 7:50:41 PM1/17/09

I'd advise giving Free Pascal ('fpc') a try. I got Free Pascal from
the Fedora repos and it works fine, doesn't look like gpc is even
available for me.

Michal Bielinski

Jan 17, 2009, 8:36:28 PM1/17/09
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 01:18:42 +0100, Nate879 <na...@nate879.org> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 6:26 pm, "Michal Bielinski" <Dungeon_Kee...@tlen.pl> wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:05:04 +0100, Nate879 <n...@nate879.org> wrote:
>> > When I try to compile this with gpc, I get the error "source.pas:21:
>> > error: module/unit interface `crt' could not be imported". How do I
>> > fix this?
>>
>> Modifying uses clause to look like following may help:
>> uses GPC, CRT;
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. Apparently I need to get the
> CRT library somewhere. Where can I get it? I use Debian GNU/Linux.

GNU Pascal has only a replacement for Turbo Pascal crt unit. It is not
fully implemented but Gruesome is simple and should work with it.

Read here:
http://www.gnu-pascal.de/gpc/CRT.html
Location for getting curses for gpc (needed for crt to work) is here:
http://www.gnu-pascal.de/libs/

If that fails I can only recommend getting fpc.
--
Michal Bielinski

Michal Bielinski

Jan 17, 2009, 8:42:32 PM1/17/09
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:14:13 +0100, Darren Grey wrote:
> "It is dark here. You are likely to eat someone..."

Oooh, great!

[snip description]

> Any feedback or suggestions for short-term improvement are greatly
> appreciated!

Nice fast game. My best grues ate 11, 10 and 10 meals respectively.
I'd like to have adventurers' light highlight wall cells also. It
would allow me to determine their facing exactly when my food stands
next to a wall. To avoid strange artifacts you may want to apply
this effect only when light carrying human is visible.

Minor wishes include clearing screen before asking for a name and
renaming kills to meals.
--
Michal Bielinski

Darren Grey

Jan 17, 2009, 10:45:47 PM1/17/09
On Jan 17, 3:14 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "It is dark here.  You are likely to eat someone..."

http://www.gruesomegames.com/gruesome0.0.2.zip

This is a quick second version to fix a few flaws, and importantly
adds a ShadowBall spell which can blind adventurers (allowing you to
kill them directly). Spell is used with the 's' key, and is only
available after you attain your first kill. Maybe now some players
will be able to reach the more difficult later levels ;)

--
Darren Grey

Otto Grimwald

Jan 18, 2009, 7:50:17 AM1/18/09
Darren Grey wrote:

> This is a quick second version to fix a few flaws, and importantly
> adds a ShadowBall spell which can blind adventurers (allowing you to

it is still difficult, but the concept is awesome, it's great to see
some people can still find fresh ideas when it comes to roguelike games.
I've made a package for my linux distribution:

Stefan O'Rear

Jan 18, 2009, 9:36:08 AM1/18/09

I like it a lot. Nice, small, fun. I'm getting the urge to rewrite it
in ten languages and try and make an even smaller/prettier version. :)

A few random thoughts:

- I'm not crazy about the Angband stairs (<> leaves you in a different
place).

- The debug commands should be harder to accidentally hit; my fingers
are wired to press N when I want to go south-east quickly.

- Dying as often as I do, the name prompt seems to get in the way more
than it helps, even with the quick-enter.

- The default color scheme looks rather ugly on my terminal (OK, nothing
you can do about that).

- The One True Terminal Size in the UNIX world is 80x24, not 80x25. Not
sure what the best thing to do here is (I just hacked ymax in my copy).

- (Seconding an earlier poster) Lit walls would be good.

- The fact that you get half xp for pounce kills is irrelevant in
practice, because you can just rest next to disabled adventurers in
safety. Suggest making them freeze in fright, for bonus flavor AND
forcing you to take the pounce penalty :)

- Is there a license for this?

Great job!

ywg....@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2009, 10:42:07 AM1/18/09
It's a lot of fun, although I'm not great a being a grue. My best so
far is three meals.

If you are taking feature requests, I would like my grue to be able to
lay traps for the adventurers.

I installed free pascal on my Mac and it compiled and ran with no
troubles. I haven't looked at Pascal code in years.

zai...@zaimoni.com

Jan 18, 2009, 11:43:00 AM1/18/09
On Jan 17, 9:45 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 3:14 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "It is dark here.  You are likely to eat someone..."
>
> http://www.gruesomegames.com/gruesome0.0.2.zip
>
> This is a quick second version to fix a few flaws, and importantly
> adds a ShadowBall spell which can blind adventurers (allowing you to
> kill them directly).

And eliminating defeat by zugzwang. I'm not positive how often the
game is winnable with perfect play now, but for all failures after my
first meal I have always been able to find the mistake that fried me.

antoine....@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2009, 2:15:24 PM1/18/09
On Jan 18, 4:14 am, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "It is dark here.  You are likely to eat someone..."

hehehe

nice

A.

Darren Grey

Jan 18, 2009, 5:15:48 PM1/18/09
On Jan 18, 2:36 pm, Stefan O'Rear <stefa...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 2009-01-18, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 17, 3:14 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> "It is dark here.  You are likely to eat someone..."
>
> >http://www.gruesomegames.com/gruesome0.0.2.zip
>
> > This is a quick second version to fix a few flaws, and importantly
> > adds a ShadowBall spell which can blind adventurers (allowing you to
> > kill them directly).  Spell is used with the 's' key, and is only
> > available after you attain your first kill.  Maybe now some players
> > will be able to reach the more difficult later levels  ;)
>
> I like it a lot.  Nice, small, fun.  I'm getting the urge to rewrite it
> in ten languages and try and make an even smaller/prettier version.  :)
>
> A few random thoughts:
>
> - I'm not crazy about the Angband stairs (<> leaves you in a different
>   place).

This may change in future, but at the moment I consider it a vital
gameplay feature. If you encounter a situation which you think is too
hard for you then you can reload the level. Technically there's no
impossible situations, but there are certainly exceedingly difficult
ones which require a hell of a lot of patience and care, especially in
the later levels. Also without any monster repopulation at present
reloading the level allows you to scum for higher kill levels (which
can increase the radius of the ShadowBall spell). Of course allowing
players to scum isn't always a good thing, but with the game as
difficult as it is at present I figure it's fair game.

> - The debug commands should be harder to accidentally hit; my fingers
>   are wired to press N when I want to go south-east quickly.

Noted - I'll remove the debug commands from future public releases.

> - Dying as often as I do, the name prompt seems to get in the way more
>   than it helps, even with the quick-enter.

In future, once I figure out how files work, I'll add a config file
that lets you input a default name and skip all the splash screens.

> - The default color scheme looks rather ugly on my terminal (OK, nothing
>   you can do about that).

Configurable colours will come in the distant future too. I
experimented with colours a lot though, and couldn't find anything
nicer than what's there at present.

> - The One True Terminal Size in the UNIX world is 80x24, not 80x25.  Not
>   sure what the best thing to do here is (I just hacked ymax in my copy).

Aren't most roguelikes 80x25? How do they cope with this?

> - (Seconding an earlier poster) Lit walls would be good.

The whole light-casting system needs a rewrite at present, and maybe
I'll add lit walls then. Affects a few different things though, so
it'll require a little care.

> - The fact that you get half xp for pounce kills is irrelevant in
>   practice, because you can just rest next to disabled adventurers in
>   safety.  Suggest making them freeze in fright, for bonus flavor AND
>   forcing you to take the pounce penalty :)

Good idea - I had been wondering how to rework that a little. The
whole "experience" system (not named as such at present) will need to
be more fleshed out in future.

> - Is there a license for this?

I don't know much about licenses to be honest, but I released it with
the GNU license since that seems fairly common.

> Great job!

Cheers, and thanks for all your suggestions. I'll get round to
implementing some of them when I get a bit of spare time.

--
Darren Grey

Darren Grey

Jan 21, 2009, 1:36:24 PM1/21/09

> "It is dark here.  You are likely to eat someone..."

http://www.gruesomegames.com/gruesome0.0.3.zip

Third release in 4 days - roguelike development can get addictive :-\

This update attempts to address the difficulty problems people are
facing by separating enemies into different difficulty bands based on
their colour, with the most difficult only appearing on later levels.
Also added a new ability to detect enemies (uses SP like the darkness
spell already in place), and made numerous other changes like making
enemies light up walls that were suggested here and elsewhere.

Most importantly I've added a new feature I've had planned in my head
for a good while, and I'm very pleased with how it's worked out. I
call it "ShadowWalk", but you could just as easily call it TimeFreeze
or Blink or whatever else you like depending on the setting. By
building up LP (lurk points) through resting you get to freeze time
for a number of turns, during which you are only able to move. LP are
easy to obtain, letting you use the power as frequently as you like,
but with quite a small LPMax and the inability to use other than
movement commands it's not overpowered. It can really make the edge
when cornered by an enemy, or when you make a bad error you need to
recover from. This has been one of my core ideas over the past few
months for an innovative feature that can add to the fun of Gruesome -
thankfully in a real program it seems to be just what I envisaged.
Screenshot of it in action:

http://www.geocities.com/darrenjohngrey/gruesome/gruesome4.png

Anyway, future releases are likely a longer way off, as I tackle the
tricky minefield of artficial intelligence.

--
Darren Grey

Soira

Jan 22, 2009, 9:44:12 AM1/22/09

Bloony LP 9/9 SP 11/13 Meals 81 Turns 3635 [657 in shadows] Exited
Butcher/Speeder/Backtracker - won't say that these means

IMO, shadowalking is broken. At least at amounts char gets.