7DRL Attempt: Environmental Energies

Gamer_2k4

Mar 7, 2009, 12:52:10 AM3/7/09
The time has come, and the G (yours truly) has decided to embark on
the wonderful and rewarding journey of 7DRL development. In one
week's time, you well be able to experience the joy of sapping the
magical energies of the terrain around you to cast powerful spells at
your opponents (who of course will be trying to do the same to you).

Dozens of spells! Crazy creatures! Strange terrains! All this awaits
you...

Wish me luck! =D

--
Gamer_2k4

game...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2009, 3:32:10 AM3/7/09
Day 1, 2:30 AM

It's probably time for me to go to bed now. In the meantime, here's a
screenshot of the program in action: a radial spell selection menu
generated dynamically given 8 spells and their attributes.

http://www.geocities.com/reptoran/images/EE_screen01.png

More to come!

--
Gamer_2k4

game...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2009, 1:29:48 AM3/8/09
End of Day 1

My first day has been very productive. I have working map and menu
code, randomly moving monsters, proper spell selection...it's good
stuff.

Tile selector, player is standing on a tile that gives no mana:
http://www.geocities.com/reptoran/images/EE_screen09.png

Tile selector, player is standing on a tile that gives life mana:
http://www.geocities.com/reptoran/images/EE_screen08.png

Tile combination that offers only life mana:
http://www.geocities.com/reptoran/images/EE_screen07.png

Tile combination that gives both air and light mana:
http://www.geocities.com/reptoran/images/EE_screen05.png

Tile combination that gives heat and death mana:
http://www.geocities.com/reptoran/images/EE_screen06.png

All in all, a good day. Tomorrow should (hopefully) have actual spell
casting, and maybe monsters that can fight back.

--
Gamer_2k4

game...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 12:51:12 AM3/9/09
End of Day 2

Sadly, not much got done today. The map scrolls nicely and the spells
SHOULD work, though it's bound to be very buggy as I didn't have time
to test it. Completed spell casting, monster damage and death, and
elemental resistances are all planned for tomorrow. The rest of the
plan is as follows:

Tuesday:
AI, lots of varied monsters, targeting niceties

Wednesday:
ability to wear monster's hides (get their resistances), spell levels
(preventing you from casting spells until you reach the appropriate
level)

Thursday:
"zoned" map generation (similarly elemented tiles clustered together),
intelligent monster generation because of that

Friday:
anything left over from the previous days

I'm not very optimistic, honestly, but we'll see what happens. Wish
me luck.

--
Gamer_2k4

vchris80

Mar 9, 2009, 4:32:41 AM3/9/09

good luck!
it looks interesting, keep on it

game...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2009, 1:28:50 AM3/10/09
End of Day 3

I'm optimistic again! Lots of progress today:
-spell display and damage
-draining and regenerating mana tiles
-monsters that can take damage and die
-spell levels that are increased by casting and that determine what
spells you can use

Here are some screenshots to keep you interested:

The spell selection available to a player with level 2 earth and dark
magic.
http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/my%20shares/EE/EE_screen_earth+dark_level2.png

The spell selection available to a player with level 2 heat and air
magic.
http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/my%20shares/EE/EE_screen_heat+air_level2.png

The spell selection available to a player with level 3 mind and life
magic.
http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/my%20shares/EE/EE_screen_mind+life_level3.png

Casting the Sub Zero spell.
http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/my%20shares/EE/EE_screen_sub_zero.png

Casting the Shine spell; note how the beam is stopped by the wall.
http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/my%20shares/EE/EE_screen_shine.png

Casting the Blackness spell.
http://people.msoe.edu/~brayshaj/files/my%20shares/EE/EE_screen_blackness.png

Planned for tomorrow:
-very basic LOS
-AI
-more monster types, including spell restrictions for monsters
-monster hides that the player can wear to gain that monster's
resistances

Wednesday:
-good map generation
-interface improvements (displaying messages, stats, etc.)
-free look

Thursday, Friday:
-anything left over from the previous days
-more content
-scorekeeping

Things look good, and I can't wait to keep working on it!

--
Gamer_2k4

rdc

Mar 10, 2009, 7:57:14 AM3/10/09
Looking good!

--
Rick Clark
Clark Productions: http://rickclark58.googlepages.com/

game...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2009, 3:48:17 AM3/12/09
End of Day 4

After something of a break yesterday, I did a little work today. AI
is now fully implemented, meaning that monsters will intelligently
move to the most advantageous positions for mana, allowing them to
cast spells at the player. A few test monsters have been added as
well, and they all function properly. If I can come up with a decent
map generation algorithm in class tomorrow, I'll be very close to
being done with the game.

--
Gamer_2k4