7DRL Attempt: Tales of Ezcyria (working title)

stein...@googlemail.com

Mar 8, 2009, 8:12:46 AM3/8/09
This will be my first roguelike and really hope I will be able to
finish something playable. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time,
so it's gonna be a bit stressful for me. I will stick to a basic
fantasy setting and and I already got a simple story plot which
includes an old prophecy and the protagonist who is being hunted down
because of it. Oh damn, that is the whole story.

Since being most experienced with Pascal and Delphi I'm gonna use
Turbo Delphi (for the win executable) and Freepascal (for linux). As
for the development library I use SDL or more precise a little wrapper/
framework around SDL which I've been working on for a couple of years
now.

I will be posting updates on my blog @ http://www.freeze-dev.de/blog

Darren Grey

Mar 8, 2009, 12:47:38 PM3/8/09

I have to wonder, why not Free Pascal for both? There's no need to
use Linux-specific libraries, and it could be ported to Mac too.

--
Darren Grey

stein...@googlemail.com

Mar 8, 2009, 5:34:00 PM3/8/09

I kinda like Turbo Delphi IDE more than Free Pascal. And the Turbo
Delphi binaries are much smaller in size.

perdu...@googlemail.com

Mar 8, 2009, 7:41:58 PM3/8/09

Cause Delphi is the dog's bollocks? *grins*

I believe Lazarus (the FreePascal equivalent of the Delphi IDE) can
import Delphi projects wholesale, though I've never done it. Some day,
when they've ironed out the bugs in Lazarus and when I get my own
damnable roguelike out there, I'll give it a go.

Best,
P.

Darren Grey

Mar 8, 2009, 11:38:59 PM3/8/09
On Mar 8, 9:34 pm, stein.j...@googlemail.com wrote:
> On 8 Mrz., 17:47, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 8, 12:12 pm, stein.j...@googlemail.com wrote:
>
> > > This will be my first roguelike and really hope I will be able to
> > > finish something playable. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time,
> > > so it's gonna be a bit stressful for me. I will stick to a basic
> > > fantasy setting and and I already got a simple story plot which
> > > includes an old prophecy and the protagonist who is being hunted down
> > > because of it. Oh damn, that is the whole story.
>
> > > Since being most experienced with Pascal and Delphi I'm gonna use
> > > Turbo Delphi (for the win executable) and Freepascal (for linux). As
> > > for the development library I use SDL or more precise a little wrapper/
> > > framework around SDL which I've been working on for a couple of years
> > > now.
>
> > > I will be posting updates on my blog @http://www.freeze-dev.de/blog
>
> > I have to wonder, why not Free Pascal for both?  There's no need to
> > use Linux-specific libraries, and it could be ported to Mac too.
>
> I kinda like Turbo Delphi IDE more than Free Pascal. And the Turbo
> Delphi binaries are much smaller in size.

Interesting... I've been quite frustrated with the FPC IDE lately,
especially since it crashed and required a complete reinstall because
I used a folder with more than 8 characters. Been using Notepad++ for
coding since and just copy-pasting into the IDE when I want to compile
- not exactly ideal. If I wanted to switch to Turbo Delphi would
there be any set-backs for me?

--
Darren Grey

Radomir Dopieralski

Mar 9, 2009, 3:08:54 AM3/9/09
At Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:38:59 -0700 (PDT), Darren Grey wrote:

> Interesting... I've been quite frustrated with the FPC IDE lately,
> especially since it crashed and required a complete reinstall because
> I used a folder with more than 8 characters. Been using Notepad++ for
> coding since and just copy-pasting into the IDE when I want to compile
> - not exactly ideal.

Why?
As far as I know FPC works good from the command line. A simple .BAT file
is sufficient if you don't want to deal with makefiles (although
a makefile gives you lots of advantages). And it's just one keypress to
compile and test your program. I can't imagine copy-pasting multiple files
into IDE each time I want to compile...

--
Radomir Dopieralski, http://sheep.art.pl

perdu...@googlemail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 5:25:27 AM3/9/09

Delphi has its own form format (*.DFM), although the syntax of the
language itself is pretty much 99% compatible with FPC. I believe
Lazarus, a FPC IDE has an import wizard to import delphi projects into
Lazarus and FPC world.

One warning about ther Turbo Delphi versions: I don't believe you can
install third-party components into those (you can with non-Turbo
versions of course).

Best,

rdc

Mar 9, 2009, 7:34:26 AM3/9/09
"Darren Grey" wrote:
> Interesting... I've been quite frustrated with the FPC IDE lately,
> especially since it crashed and required a complete reinstall because
> I used a folder with more than 8 characters. Been using Notepad++ for
> coding since and just copy-pasting into the IDE when I want to compile
> - not exactly ideal. If I wanted to switch to Turbo Delphi would
> there be any set-backs for me?

I use PSPad (http://www.pspad.com/) for my FPC programming. It has a ton of
features, has a built-in Object Pascal syntax file and best of all it is
free. To compile I use just a use a batch file and it works great. You might
want to look at it.

--
Rick Clark
Clark Productions: http://rickclark58.googlepages.com/