7DRL Success: DDRogue

flend

Mar 15, 2009, 6:58:10 PM3/15/09
Dear all,

I'd like to announce the release of my 7DRL attempt DDRogue.

It requires .net v3.5 - only a windows build is available at present.

It's a straight-up roguelike although featuring special moves and a
small plot. I recommend the 'easy' difficulty level!

The binaries are here: http://urchin.earth.li/~tomford/random/ddrogue.zip

-flend

legend....@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2009, 11:07:40 PM3/15/09
On Mar 15, 6:58 pm, flend <flendn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to announce the release of my 7DRL attempt DDRogue.

Hey. This one does feel very Rogue like. What are the blue equals
signs (=) that you can move over top?

- Legend of Angband
http://legend-angband.blogspot.com/

flend

Mar 16, 2009, 5:45:45 AM3/16/09
On 16 Mar, 03:07, legend.angb...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hey. This one does feel very Rogue like. What are the blue equals
> signs (=) that you can move over top?

Thanks for giving it a go. The = are flooded squares (like DoomRL?).
The upper first few levels are meant to be connected to an underground
river and to be quite wet. It's just decoration :)

-flend

rdc

Mar 16, 2009, 6:29:41 AM3/16/09
"flend" wrote:
> I'd like to announce the release of my 7DRL attempt DDRogue.

Just to let you know, Vista x64 doesn't seem to like this program. It says
the program has an incorrect format.

--
Rick Clark
Clark Productions: http://rickclark58.googlepages.com/

Cymon

Mar 16, 2009, 6:13:53 PM3/16/09

Just to let you know, I love this game. The first time I picked up a
story object... woah. And special moves?! Incredible.

flend

Mar 16, 2009, 7:12:03 PM3/16/09
On 16 Mar, 10:29, "rdc" <rickclar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to let you know, Vista x64 doesn't seem to like this program. It says
> the program has an incorrect format.

Thanks for the heads up. I had a hunt around on google and apparently
you have to mark your .net exes if they rely on 32-bit native dlls
(libtcod.dll in this case).

Unfortunately the C# express editions don't include the GUI for this,
but you can hack an extra line in the csproj file.

I've uploaded a new version to the same address (http://
urchin.earth.li/~tomford/random/ddrogue.zip). I don't have an x64 OS
to test but I hope it works. The flags seem to be set, at least.

The 7DRL competition clearly left me a broken man since I'm down with
a cold today. However, since I am a bit more awake I'll advertise the
game a bit more:

DDRogue:

- Turn-based roguelike gameplay
- 3 difficulty levels
- 9 special moves to learn
- 14 creatures to fight
- A plot (of a sort!) with 6 possible endings

Quick tip for playing the game: make sure you pick up the glove on the
first level. Without this the game is likely to be rather hard, even
on Easy.

Cheers all,

-flend

rdc

Mar 16, 2009, 7:34:30 PM3/16/09
"flend" wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up. I had a hunt around on google and apparently
> you have to mark your .net exes if they rely on 32-bit native dlls
> (libtcod.dll in this case).

That seems to have done the trick. Works great. I love the story panels.
Nice job.

purple...@googlemail.com

Mar 20, 2009, 6:06:15 PM3/20/09
I love it! The "special moves" idea was just exactly somthing I was
trying to figure out myself a while ago. So you have both entertained
and inspired!

Giovan Donato

Mar 21, 2009, 10:03:11 AM3/21/09
On Mar 15, 6:58 pm, flend <flendn...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I have to say DDRogue is my favorite of this year's 7DRL crop so far.
But the big yellow L tempts me to savescum...

flend

Mar 22, 2009, 8:04:34 PM3/22/09

It's the first I've heard of someone getting that far. Drink lots of
potions and strike fast. He should be pretty beatable on Easy.

-flend

Darren Grey

Mar 22, 2009, 11:27:00 PM3/22/09

Beat the game on my first try on easy mode - the lich at the end never
even hit me. I very rarely had to use potions (about 10 in total)
since the glove healed so much. Got the grief & revenge ending. 8539
turns, 243 kills, 15 out of 15 items. Ultimately most of the moves
weren't much used, apart from the Burst of Speed which made
Necromancers much easier. Nice game overall, and I like the dungeon
designs. Will try and get the other endings on the higher difficulty
modes some time.

--
Darren Grey

tom.fo...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2009, 5:30:06 AM3/23/09

Hmm, interesting. I upped the number of potions and decreased groups
sizes very near the deadline since I thought Easy mode was still too
hard (too easy to get caught between two missile troops and get
destroyed by one whilst chasing the other). My goal with the
difficulty settings really was to provide at least one mode where it
is necessary to use the advantages of the special moves to survive. Of
the attacking moves, vault/backstab is useful if you see a single
enemy coming, open space attack I use a lot in one-on-ones, multiple
attack is actually very good if you organise your fights so you don't
get hit too much. Evade, wall vault and BoS are useful for getting out
of trouble.

Musing aside, I wanted to say that I uploaded a linux version (see
RogueBasin page: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=DDRogue).
It needs mono 2 and I had to add some extra mono libraries to Debian
to get it to run.

-flend

Xecutor

Mar 23, 2009, 11:14:11 AM3/23/09
On 16 мар, 04:58, flend <flendn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to announce the release of my 7DRL attempt DDRogue.

Very nice game indeed!
Made it to level 5 so far :)
Ogre shaman shooting thru walls killed me :(
It would be nice to see that special move is working...

Darren Grey

Mar 23, 2009, 2:39:03 PM3/23/09
On Mar 23, 9:30 am, tom.ford.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 23, 3:27 am, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 16, 11:12 pm, flend <flendn...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Beat the game on my first try on easy mode - the lich at the end never
> > even hit me.  I very rarely had to use potions (about 10 in total)
> > since the glove healed so much.  Got the grief & revenge ending.  8539
> > turns, 243 kills, 15 out of 15 items.  Ultimately most of the moves
> > weren't much used, apart from the Burst of Speed which made
> > Necromancers much easier.  Nice game overall, and I like the dungeon
> > designs.  Will try and get the other endings on the higher difficulty
> > modes some time.
>
> Hmm, interesting. I upped the number of potions and decreased groups
> sizes very near the deadline since I thought Easy mode was still too
> hard (too easy to get caught between two missile troops and get
> destroyed by one whilst chasing the other). My goal with the
> difficulty settings really was to provide at least one mode where it
> is necessary to use the advantages of the special moves to survive. Of
> the attacking moves, vault/backstab is useful if you see a single
> enemy coming, open space attack I use a lot in one-on-ones, multiple
> attack is actually very good if you organise your fights so you don't
> get hit too much. Evade, wall vault and BoS are useful for getting out
> of trouble.

I have to admit that Evade annoyed me a little - a few times I was
just waiting a turn for a monster to approach, and when I tried to
attack I ended up on the other side of it! In general I found the
abilities a little too dependant on terrain to be truly useful, and
some of them required a few turns to set up which would be better
spent on actually killing the enemy (stun circle for instance). Cool
system though. I found missile-shooters to be a nuisance, but they
generally didn't do enough harm to be a threat, and I found certain
methods of movement seemed to throw them off their escape patterns.
If I encountered too many at once then a speed potion made them easy.
Overall I didn't experiement with potions much, worried that some
might be poison etc - only ones I identified were two minor healing
types, a speed potion and one that said something about having a "true
aim" (I assume it increases your to hit, but I never needed it). Only
tried out the ones that I had the most of, assuming they would be the
least deadly.

It's good to have different difficulty modes though, especially on a
7drl where some will want to just play it quickly to check it out.
I'll likely give the harder difficulties a go later tonight.

--
Darren Grey