7DRL Success: TetRLs (TetrisRL)!

Sir_Lewk

Mar 12, 2009, 12:23:49 PM3/12/09
I finished up and packaged my 7drl challenge entry last night and am
now announcing it's successful completion.

Announced as "TetrisRL" (official name is "TetRLs" just to be safer
with copyright/trademark issues), it is a rather experimental
roguelike that aims to combine elements of the classical game Tetris
with roguelikes. It was actually far simpler to implement than I
anticipated, I managed to get the vast majority of it completed within
48 hours. I'm relatively satisfied with it's outcome, and met all of
my development goals. The main point of this 7drl was for me to see
if the concept was workable at all from a gameplay standpoint. I
think the final result is a decently entertaining novelty, fun for a
handful games. I've managed to beat it in as little as 20 minutes
though that wouldn't suprize me if that was on the slow end. If the
concept were integrated into a fuller game, sokoban style, then I
think it could fair a little better and I may pursue this in the
future.

As it is now, the setting is rather minimalistic, you're trapped in
some sort of laboratory by a mad Soviet scientist (the creator of
tetris was Russian, har har ;)) and forced to partake in a tetris
style mind-game experiment. In an attempt to add atmosphere I have
scientist speaks with a thick Russian accent which is probably more
German inspired than anything else. Hey, I'm not a linguist :P

Anyways..., screenshots, source and a windows binary are available for
download at:
http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~jlg95/tetrisrl/

A simple makefile is included for building, as well as the makefile I
used to build the windows binary with (via the MinGW packages in
Fedora). It's only dependancies are standard C++ build tools, and
Ncurses or PDCurses.

(following sections are copy/pasted from the readme, sorry)
=== Intro ===

The basic premise is you play an unidentified character who is
apparently trapped
in the laboratory of a mad soviet scientist, forced to participate in
some
sort of bizarre mind-game experiment that involves a lot of arranging
of oddly
shaped crates. However, you must balance this task with battling
dozens of
highly aggressive lab rats that apparently escaped (or were
released...).

=== Gameplay ===

TetRLs' gameplay is relatively simple for a roguelike, movement keys
supported
(on Standard US QWERTY keyboards) are: "vi-keys", "wasd", "arrow keys"
and
"numpad". You may choose to use whichever scheme you wish at any time
though
use of the arrow keys is discouraged because that scheme does not
provide easy
access to diagonal movement keys.

To clear each level the player must place a certain number of
tetrominos on the
board while trying not to get killed by some lab-rats that appear over
time.
The player may attack and kill the lab rats with a wrench by "bumping"
into them,
otherwise the level may eventually become to cluttered by rats to be
playable.

Should the player get too close to a rat for too long, the rat may
bite and injure
the player, reducing their HP level. The only way to increase HP
after being
attacked is to place more tetrominos. Particularly, the player
receives a bonus
amount of hit points if they complete an entire line with the
tetrominos.

Once the player has placed the proper number of tetrominos, the door
on the
right of the room will open up and upon reaching it the player will
enter
the next level (and be unable to return). As levels progress the
required
tetrominos need to advance increases, as does the rate of lab rat
generation.

The game is complete when the player completes 5 levels (75 tetrominos
total).

Matthew Allen

Mar 12, 2009, 1:25:09 PM3/12/09
Cute! Not very hard, but a neat little idea. I did have a rat spawn in
one of the gaps created by a sloppy crate placement, so he wasn't any
threat or inconvenience to me.

guesst

Mar 13, 2009, 3:04:48 PM3/13/09
Well, you know from our conversation that I think there's a ton of
improvements that could be made to this game, but I really like it.

lochok

Mar 16, 2009, 5:07:52 PM3/16/09
Sir_Lewk wrote:
> I finished up and packaged my 7drl challenge entry last night and am
> now announcing it's successful completion.
<SNIP>

Congrads on the indiegames.com mention

lochok