7DRL Success - Fruits of the Forest

Ido Yehieli

Mar 13, 2009, 5:17:59 PM3/13/09
Finishing a bit less than 2 hours before the deadline, I present you:

Fruits of the Forest!

Collect berries, feed villagers and fight bandits- All in a scenic
rural environment including rivers, forests and rustic villages!

Download, screenshot and so on at:

http://yehieli.info/fotf/

Almost everything was coded from scratch- except for Jeff Lund's
curses emulation code (for the interface) and some algorithms & code
snippets I've found on roguebasin & other various corners of the
internet.

I've also translated some of my c code from previous games (los/fov/
path finding) to java for this project.

Hope you have fun,
-Ido.

guesst

Mar 13, 2009, 7:23:56 PM3/13/09

Blasted difficult. Is it possible to go in diagonals in this or are
only the co-ordinal directions possible? Are there any tips for
lasting long enough to feed even one villager?

Matthew Allen

Mar 13, 2009, 10:16:27 PM3/13/09
I had a bit of trouble getting it to run. I got a version error for
running too old a version of java... the newest supported version of
java for my OSX. You might want to set a target=1.4 when you build.
Also, I got some compile errors with the source code. They were:

ui/CursesIO.java: 382: @Override not needed
game/Enemy.java: 61: wanted Comparable<Coord> and not
Compare<CoordFromPlayer>

I got it running and enjoyed it. Cute little game. Once I figured out
the basic strategy, which is to avoid roads and rivers and engage
bandits very carefully, it was just a matter of being methodical
enough.

Actually, my biggest problem was keeping track of my HP since it was
so far away from the player on the UI. I hacked the code again and
replaced the '@' with my current HP total (since it is only a single
character) and won immediately. Its a change I recommend.

legend....@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2009, 12:36:55 AM3/14/09
On Mar 13, 5:17 pm, Ido Yehieli <Ido.Yehi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Finishing a bit less than 2 hours before the deadline, I present you:
>
> Fruits of the Forest!

I got this one to run just fine with Java 1.6.

But man, there is a lot going on in that game screen.

- Legend of Angband
http://legend-angband.blogspot.com/

Ido Yehieli

Mar 14, 2009, 3:37:59 AM3/14/09
On Mar 14, 12:23 am, guesst <joealar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Blasted difficult. Is it possible to go in diagonals in this or are
> only the co-ordinal directions possible?

No diagonals for now, maybe I'll them to a post-7drl version though.

> Are there any tips for
> lasting long enough to feed even one villager?

Use the terrain to your advantage - the bandits have a low field of
vision radius than you and you can hide behind trees.

-Ido.

Ido Yehieli

Mar 14, 2009, 3:39:20 AM3/14/09
On Mar 14, 3:16 am, Matthew Allen <msal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, my biggest problem was keeping track of my HP since it was
> so far away from the player on the UI. I hacked the code again and
> replaced the '@' with my current HP total (since it is only a single
> character) and won immediately. Its a change I recommend.

Hrm... I'll have to think about it, or maybe find some other way to
make the hp more visible.

Thanks for the tip!

-Ido.

purple...@googlemail.com

Mar 14, 2009, 8:10:27 AM3/14/09
On Mar 13, 9:17 pm, Ido Yehieli <Ido.Yehi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Finishing a bit less than 2 hours before the deadline, I present you:
>
> Fruits of the Forest!

That is good fun! I agree with the comment about HP visibility
however. Amusing, you used the same character for trees in your 7DRL
as I did in mine, and nearly the same for berries. :)

John Harris

Mar 23, 2009, 7:40:57 PM3/23/09
I've been going through the 7DRL games one by one, and this one's
quite good! I was expecting a throwaway, but the unusual implications
of movement and actions in the game world (most particularly, the
impossibility of wasting turns without a usable object or creature
present) make this a surprisingly challenging game.

- John H.

Ido Yehieli

Mar 24, 2009, 6:19:43 AM3/24/09
On Mar 24, 12:40 am, John Harris <Joh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been going through the 7DRL games one by one, and this one's
> quite good!  I was expecting a throwaway, but the unusual implications
> of movement and actions in the game world (most particularly, the
> impossibility of wasting turns without a usable object or creature
> present) make this a surprisingly challenging game.

Thank you! If you don't mind sharing - what made you set your
expectation so low before trying the game?

I originally planned this to be quite different, the gameplay kind of
"emerged" during development.

E.g. I added the peasant feeding theme (which became perhaps the most
dominant element in the game) in the 5th or 6th day of development.

-Ido.