roguelike hosting

Yendor

Jul 20, 2006, 8:16:11 PM7/20/06
Hi all. I am in the process of moving my development work on roguelike
restorations off of roguelike.sourceforge.net (they are just getting
more and more unreliable). I obtained a domain name of 'roguelike.us'.
Not ideal, but it was what was available. I also picked a hosting
company, its not ideal but it seems sufficient to my needs (most
weren't).

I have a pretty generous package, i can host unlimited websites and I
can create unlimited subdomains off my primary domain. It comes with
phpbb forums, blog software and I added a Subversion server and Trac
project management server (includes small wiki). I can add about
anything I want with a few limits and as long as resource consumption
doesn't get too high. Neither of which should be an issue with
roguelike development/support.

The upshot being, that if anyone was interested I could probably host
their roguelike project and provide a domain name like
"yourproject.roguelike.us" and give you web space, subversion project,
maybe trac and forums and blog. I haven't set this up yet for multiple
projects and I am just diddling with the service at this point. But I
thought I would check if there would be any interest.

My only concern is that by providing this service I would loose freedom
to muck with the server software on the site. But if I don't rush into
things I should be able to stabalize what I want to be able to do
before accepting any other projects.

Mostly I wouldn't be inclined to charge for anything unless you needed
me to do custom work. I do have to pay a bit for this, so maybe I will
setup paypal donations to try and recover the modest cost. $10 here and
there would help.

And it doesn't have to be a roguelike development project, anything
roguelike related would probably be fair game.

If any of this interests anyone just send me email at
yen...@roguelike.us and we can discuss what you are interested in doing
and I'll see whether it is anything I can set up.

I figured if I was going to the expense of doing this for myself
perhaps I could make it of use to some others. I will make an
announcement here when the roguelike restoration project actually
moves, then you will be able to get an idea of what the site services
will look like. I may be a few days to a few weeks from this. There is
a lot of stuff to mess around with and I am still downloading and
compiling and installing new services to see how well they work and
what i like and don't like. The hosting company's provided software is
a little dated, but so far it hasn't been too difficult to do my own
builds and get them running.

- The Archmage Yendor

Kornel Kisielewicz

Jul 21, 2006, 4:09:14 AM7/21/06
Yendor napisał(a):

> Hi all. I am in the process of moving my development work on roguelike
> restorations off of roguelike.sourceforge.net (they are just getting
> more and more unreliable). I obtained a domain name of 'roguelike.us'.
> Not ideal, but it was what was available. I also picked a hosting
> company, its not ideal but it seems sufficient to my needs (most
> weren't).

Yeah, but there doesn't seem a market for this :P. I offered free
hosting on chaosforge.org, and no one was interested ^^.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (adminATchaosforge.org) [http://chaosforge.org]

Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski

Jul 21, 2006, 4:17:30 AM7/21/06
At Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:09:14 +0200,
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

> Yendor napisał(a):
>> Hi all. I am in the process of moving my development work on roguelike
>> restorations off of roguelike.sourceforge.net (they are just getting
>> more and more unreliable). I obtained a domain name of 'roguelike.us'.
>> Not ideal, but it was what was available. I also picked a hosting
>> company, its not ideal but it seems sufficient to my needs (most
>> weren't).
> Yeah, but there doesn't seem a market for this :P. I offered free
> hosting on chaosforge.org, and no one was interested ^^.

Seems that one need to have something to show first ;)

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski

"Computer Science is no more about computers than
astronomy is about telescopes." [Edsger Wybe Dijkstra]

Mario Donick

Jul 21, 2006, 4:28:20 AM7/21/06
Well, in general i'd be interested in it, but until now I never had
problems with SourceForge and I think the audience there is slightly
greater than on own websites... Anyway, the domain roguelike.us sounds
really good...

> And it doesn't have to be a roguelike development project, anything
> roguelike related would probably be fair game.

Hmm... How about an online magazine?

General topic: the role of textbased games in our 3D-world for gamers
and developers. Not only roguelikes would be discussed, also MUDs and
offline-text-RPGs. If I was the editor of such a magazine, it's
approach would be both entertaining and scientific.

What do you think about it?

Mario

Kornel Kisielewicz

Jul 21, 2006, 5:17:02 AM7/21/06
Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski napisał(a):

> At Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:09:14 +0200,
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> Yendor napisał(a):
>>> Hi all. I am in the process of moving my development work on roguelike
>>> restorations off of roguelike.sourceforge.net (they are just getting
>>> more and more unreliable). I obtained a domain name of 'roguelike.us'.
>>> Not ideal, but it was what was available. I also picked a hosting
>>> company, its not ideal but it seems sufficient to my needs (most
>>> weren't).
>> Yeah, but there doesn't seem a market for this :P. I offered free
>> hosting on chaosforge.org, and no one was interested ^^.
>
> Seems that one need to have something to show first ;)

Buah, what do you mean by that? ^_^

BTW, I had this idea of rogueforge.net :P. With dedicated software of
course :).

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (adminATchaosforge.org) [http://chaosforge.org]

Carceri -- A prelude to GenRogue... Coming Soon

Yendor

Jul 21, 2006, 5:32:11 AM7/21/06
I also put in the paperwork for rogueforge.net actually, not sure if
its gone through yet.
But yeah, I wasn't sure there would be any real interest. But if I gave
it some value add features I thought it might provoke some interest
(blogs, forums, wiki, subversion, trac, e-mail, mailing lists). If it
doesn't, thats cool too. The main purpose is to host my roguelike
restoration work, anything else is just bonus. I'd like to have an SSL
certificate too, but thats more money than I want to spend... at least
for a domain wide wildcard certificate. In the meantime I'll use
self-signed certificates for any secure https connections I want (for
subversion mainly and for obscure reasons) and probably buy a cheapy
for my own site (i think godaddy is giving away free ones to open
source projects). One problem I have is that each of my value add
features has its own user database/login procedure which means people
would have to register accounts in each program. So i am messing with
having an LDAP server integrate it all, but I am not sure how
interoperable it will be. I think all the programs I use have ldap
plugins. We'll see.

Gamer_2k4

Jul 21, 2006, 9:18:47 AM7/21/06
> The upshot being, that if anyone was interested I could probably host
> their roguelike project and provide a domain name like
> "yourproject.roguelike.us" and give you web space, subversion project,
> maybe trac and forums and blog. I haven't set this up yet for multiple
> projects and I am just diddling with the service at this point. But I
> thought I would check if there would be any interest.

That sounds like a really good idea. It would be kind of nice to have
a central roguelike page. Maybe we could have mirrors for games like
ADOM and Angband as well.

As far as interest goes, there's a lot of it coming from me =). I'll
definitely look into it once my roguelike is good enough to have a site
about.

Gamer_2k4

kalikiana

Jul 21, 2006, 6:45:06 PM7/21/06
> The upshot being, that if anyone was interested I could probably host
> their roguelike project and provide a domain name like
> "yourproject.roguelike.us" and give you web space, subversion project,
> maybe trac and forums and blog. I haven't set this up yet for multiple
> projects and I am just diddling with the service at this point. But I
> thought I would check if there would be any interest.

I don't want to discourage you, but we already have for example the
newsgroup and the roguelike wiki for central project related
information. But in fact there is not hosting offer like this apart
from sourceforge.
So if you really find several projects to host, make a similar
interface on each project site including news, wiki and bug report/
feature request function. Additionally make a global online magazine
for news, reviews, etc.. That would make it really interesting, but you
would have to spend some time on it as well. So I don't know if this is
still in the scope of what you want to do. :)

Yendor

Jul 21, 2006, 9:21:45 PM7/21/06

> I don't want to discourage you, but we already have for example the
> newsgroup

incidentally i am going to try and install a phpBB gateway to the rogue
newsgroups. maybe. well it seemed like an interesting idea. i found the
software and dug up a source for a free newsfeed.

> and the roguelike wiki for central project related information.

which i understand there is some administrative difficulties with.
would be happy to provide hosting space and technical support for this
as well.

> But in fact there is not hosting offer like this apart
> from sourceforge.
> So if you really find several projects to host, make a similar
> interface on each project site including news, wiki and bug report/
> feature request function.

This is what I am doing in moving my roguelike restoration project
from roguelike.sourceforge to my own host. i am using subversion for
source revision control, and trac for project management (bug tracking,
etc). trac includes a wiki but i can support a seperate one. i also
have phpBB for forums and wordpress for a blog, etc, etc. so if i have
to install it once for myself i think i can generate a template for
others to pick and choose what features they want. if no one wants to
use it thats hunky dory with me, as its still the backend of everything
I want to do for myself.

> Additionally make a global online magazine
> for news, reviews, etc.. That would make it really interesting, but you
> would have to spend some time on it as well. So I don't know if this is
> still in the scope of what you want to do. :)

well its up to the community to build content. all i am going to care
about is filling in my own project, which is big enough to take all my
spare time as it is.

we shall see. i am still working on some technical glitches, my hosting
service seems a little slow to get my new domain and subdomain requests
going. and i have a ton of software configuration to do and some
integration work to attempt.

its all good experience as a lot of it is the same backend support for
the software development i do at my new job so it is a good to get
familiar with the internals of how everything works rather than just
being an enduser. so it serves multiple purposes.
if no one in the community cares to use it... well, more for me i guess
:)

Mario Donick

Jul 21, 2006, 10:02:55 PM7/21/06
> the roguelike wiki

This could be a great source, but there is so much unfinished... and no
"register"-button for users who want to help...

> Additionally make a global online magazine
> for news, reviews, etc.. That would make it really interesting, but you
> would have to spend some time on it as well. So I don't know if this is
> still in the scope of what you want to do. :)

At least a magazine already exists on the server:

http://roguelike.us/magazine

I am very motivated to make this to a good and interesting source for
roguelike news, articles, reviews etc. Anyway it would be great if
others would contribute, too.

Mario

Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski

Jul 21, 2006, 10:11:21 PM7/21/06
At 21 Jul 2006 18:21:45 -0700,
Yendor wrote:

> well its up to the community to build content. all i am going to care
> about is filling in my own project, which is big enough to take all my
> spare time as it is.

It's not going to work without someone with an idea and will to do it.
And we all tend to lack spare time :).

I think your offer is great, but right now we lack the human resources
to start anything like this.

> its all good experience as a lot of it is the same backend support for
> the software development i do at my new job so it is a good to get
> familiar with the internals of how everything works rather than just
> being an enduser. so it serves multiple purposes.
> if no one in the community cares to use it... well, more for me i guess
>:)

Good luck in your new job!

Mario Donick

Jul 21, 2006, 10:20:58 PM7/21/06
> I think your offer is great, but right now we lack the human resources
> to start anything like this.

I don't think that we don't have anybody who would care about it... at
least some passive, only consuming interest of the community would be
supporting.

Yendor

Jul 21, 2006, 11:07:43 PM7/21/06
well the material on the original rogue and its direct decendents will
be fairly comprehensive, that will be my contribution. if they want to
move rogue-basin there then that would be another big chunk of content.
i am sure i can configure the necessary anti-spam features of whatever
wiki is chosen so that people can register and contribute without my
intervention. like i said i will provide the infrastructure, perhaps
others will contribute styles, themes, graphics and other design work
while others will contribute content (or allow copies of, or at least
links to content they may have elsewhere). Or the collective decision
will be to do nothing and site will just be rogue.roguelike.us and
www.roguelike.us for my own project and that will be fine too. I have
mostly been a lurker on these forums so I don't want to step on the
toes of the more established flamers (i mean contributors). I suppose I
could just do it and let the chips fall where they may, but i don't
like duplicated effort, territory wars, or any of the other juvenille
crap that can arise. Mostly I want to get back to restoring these games
i have queued up, and maybe adding some internet top 100 score list to
them and ... heaven forbid... doing some new rogue development
(although i have other game projects that are in my head dying for
expression, but i try to keep them at bay!). in any case i figure i am
stuck working on site infrastructure for a week or so of my spare time
if wife and kid allow.

i am willing to put a good burst of energy into this, but I expect
anything i put together will be (largely) self managing once put
together. with people working on different areas (like their on RL
development page) as it interests them. but we already have two great
sites at rogue-basin and roguelikedevelopment.org and it seems silly to
duplicate them except at their request.

What do people want to do. I had my set of requirements when moving off
of sourceforge. I needed a network based revision control system, i
wanted a trouble ticket system, i wanted a message board, i wanted to
finally get my yendor@ email address (lol), i wanted a blog/news page,
web site, and maybe a content management system like joomla to pull it
all together as well... but that is overkill, but is something i need
to learn to extend for my job as well so that could be a good
experience.

I figure people want to write roguelikes, but they like to have web
pages and show off their work and ideas. So if i can give someone an
ftp account and a template site of myrl.roguelike.us and they can have
some subset of those features ready to just use it might just be
helpful to them.

I am not naive enough to believe people will swarm to my site and start
talking on new forums there. We have a great forum here, so I am going
to try and provide a gateway forum that will do a 2-way
synchronization of messages posted here. Its silly to duplicate effort,
i just want to try and pull together everything that is out there.
Maybe people just want me to create a subdomain coolRL.roguelike.us and
have it redirect to their existing page. That would be fine to.

I am not trying to tell peple what to do. I want you to tell me what to
do :)... ok smart alecs, don't get any ideas like telling me to go take
a flying leap! Discuss the ideas and i will try to implement anything
the community can generally agree on. Failing that I got my own agenda
to worry about!

kalikiana

Jul 22, 2006, 6:40:23 AM7/22/06
Mario Donick wrote:
> At least a magazine already exists on the server:
>
> http://roguelike.us/magazine

That's cool. Actually a very good interview and a review of
FrozenDepths are already there. Now I must say this looks promising! I
imagine articles about current roguelikes with some screenshots could
be an addition to text-only discussions in the newsgroups. The project
shall not replace another site, but may be a 'variant' in the scene. :)

Mario Donick

Jul 22, 2006, 7:09:47 AM7/22/06
> That's cool. Actually a very good interview and a review of
> FrozenDepths are already there. Now I must say this looks promising!
> I imagine articles about current roguelikes with some screenshots could
> be an addition to text-only discussions in the newsgroups.

Thank you for your words. Your post really encourages me.

Kostatus

Jul 23, 2006, 12:01:12 AM7/23/06
Yendor wrote:
[snip hosting offer]

I would have been interested if I had a project to release :P Right now
I have one old project (last release 2 years ago), and my new project
definitely won't be released till summer (which is December-February
here) - if at all. I guess I might ask around on this group for hosting
then ;)

--
Kostatus (kostatus at gmail com)

lochok

Jul 23, 2006, 5:05:51 AM7/23/06

Another Aussie? How many of us are there here?

Lochok

Vlad Dogaru

Jul 23, 2006, 9:12:45 AM7/23/06
Yendor wrote:
<snip>

May I suggest gforge at http://gforge.org/ ? It's a similar design to
SourceForge, but it is open source software. You may have some trouble
getting all of the features to work, but you say you have quite a bit
of control over the host. I haven't tried the software personally, so
you may find parts of it inappropriate (for example, I find SourceForge
forums rather limited).

This may prove an interesting option for various feature integration,
while also giving you a choice for customising (again, it's open
source).

Sorry if this was out of the sudden; I have been lurking for a while,
but it's my first post here.

Vlad

Yendor

Jul 23, 2006, 9:47:14 AM7/23/06

> May I suggest gforge at http://gforge.org/ ? It's a similar design to
> SourceForge, but it is open source software. You may have some trouble
> getting all of the features to work, but you say you have quite a bit
> of control over the host. I haven't tried the software personally, so
> you may find parts of it inappropriate (for example, I find SourceForge
> forums rather limited).

that looks like it would have been an interesting choice, and in fact
I'd be happy to try and set it up if anyone wanted to use it. for my
own use i am using Trac from http://trac.edgewall.org/ for project
management and seperately use phpBB for forums. mainly because I have
to use Trac at work so it will be good to have the extra experience
both ways. thanks for the tip though, i had not heard of gforge before
now.

Jeff Lait

Jul 23, 2006, 11:46:02 AM7/23/06
Yendor wrote:
> I have
> mostly been a lurker on these forums so I don't want to step on the
> toes of the more established flamers (i mean contributors).

Well put!

> I suppose I
> could just do it and let the chips fall where they may, but i don't
> like duplicated effort, territory wars, or any of the other juvenille
> crap that can arise. Mostly I want to get back to restoring these games
> i have queued up, and maybe adding some internet top 100 score list to
> them and ... heaven forbid... doing some new rogue development
> (although i have other game projects that are in my head dying for
> expression, but i try to keep them at bay!). in any case i figure i am
> stuck working on site infrastructure for a week or so of my spare time
> if wife and kid allow.

One thing I think is really needed is a roguelike archive. If you look
at thelist.roguelikedevelopment.org, you'll see there are a lot of
roguelikes in development. Unfortunately, when they fall off the radar
it tends to be too late to move them to the roguelike graveyard because
the respective site disappeared. (Quite a few at the bottom of said
list are likely to disappear as soon as the owner realizes they have
this yearly hosting fee...)

A central repository of the last release of every roguelike would be
very useful. While the official host is active, it can just be a link
(but with a copy stored locally) and when the official host disappears
it can take over hosting.
--
Jeff Lait

Kostatus

Jul 24, 2006, 12:44:35 AM7/24/06

Kiwi man. Nobody ever thinks of New Zealand :P

> Lochok

lochok

Jul 24, 2006, 4:03:49 AM7/24/06

My deepest apologies!

Lochok

benn

Jul 24, 2006, 6:18:59 AM7/24/06
I'm an Aussie... but as I haven't posted much I probably don't count.
:-)

Hmmm... must resist making fun at New Zealanders for no reason... must
resist... :-P I'm just glad that there IS a bit of a presence on rgrd
from the southern hemisphere (Australia or New Zealand... anyone else
South Africa? Brazil? :-).

Slash

Jul 24, 2006, 9:30:35 AM7/24/06

benn wrote:
> I'm an Aussie... but as I haven't posted much I probably don't count.
> :-)
>
> Hmmm... must resist making fun at New Zealanders for no reason... must
> resist... :-P I'm just glad that there IS a bit of a presence on rgrd
> from the southern hemisphere (Australia or New Zealand... anyone else
> South Africa? Brazil? :-).

Im from Colombia if that counts

And yes, I own the entire south american continent in terms on
roguelike development!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!

SNIP

--
Slash

Gamer_2k4

Jul 24, 2006, 11:16:57 AM7/24/06
>> I have mostly been a lurker on these forums so I don't want to step
>> on the toes of the more established flamers (i mean contributors).

> Well put!

Hey, that only happened once...

Don't worry about that sort of thing though; the people here are
generally responsive to new ideas (especially good ones like this).

Gamer_2k4

Gamer_2k4

Jul 24, 2006, 11:19:49 AM7/24/06
> Im from Colombia if that counts

> And yes, I own the entire south american continent in terms on
> roguelike development!!!

I share joint ownership of Wisconsin with Timothy Pruett (I think).
That probably doesn't count for much though...

Gamer_2k4

konijn_

Jul 24, 2006, 3:51:30 PM7/24/06

Hmmm, anybody in New York ?
I will be leaving Montreal for New York beginning August.

Cheers,
T.

Gamer_2k4

Jul 24, 2006, 4:56:27 PM7/24/06
> > > And yes, I own the entire south american continent in terms on
> > > roguelike development!!!

> > I share joint ownership of Wisconsin with Timothy Pruett (I think).
> > That probably doesn't count for much though...

> Hmmm, anybody in New York ?
> I will be leaving Montreal for New York beginning August.

Ooh, so you own Canada right now. That's pretty good.

Gamer_2k4

Kostatus

Jul 25, 2006, 6:16:46 AM7/25/06
benn wrote:
> I'm an Aussie... but as I haven't posted much I probably don't count.
> :-)
>
> Hmmm... must resist making fun at New Zealanders for no reason... must
> resist... :-P I'm just glad that there IS a bit of a presence on rgrd
> from the southern hemisphere (Australia or New Zealand... anyone else
> South Africa? Brazil? :-).

I have spotted a couple of NZers around before. One of them I happened
to sort of, vaguely, almost know in real life.

Maybe we South Hemispherians should band together to defeat the East
Europeans (especially those Poles)!

(As to a definition of "defeat", I'm open to suggestions).

Slash

Jul 25, 2006, 9:04:12 AM7/25/06

Yes.. I own a whole continent so I dont think it would be much of a
trouble to dispose of such a small portion of earth.

> --
> Kostatus (kostatus at gmail com)

--
Slash

Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski

Jul 25, 2006, 9:41:12 AM7/25/06
At Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:16:46 +1200,
Kostatus wrote:

> benn wrote:

> Maybe we South Hemispherians should band together to defeat the East
> Europeans (especially those Poles)!

> (As to a definition of "defeat", I'm open to suggestions).

Drinking contest!

Slash

Jul 25, 2006, 10:34:20 AM7/25/06

Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski wrote:
> At Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:16:46 +1200,
> Kostatus wrote:
>
> > benn wrote:
>
> > Maybe we South Hemispherians should band together to defeat the East
> > Europeans (especially those Poles)!
>
> > (As to a definition of "defeat", I'm open to suggestions).
>
> Drinking contest!

I was thinking more of a pole match or something

> --
> Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski
>
> "Computer Science is no more about computers than
> astronomy is about telescopes." [Edsger Wybe Dijkstra]

--
Slash

Ilya Bely

Jul 25, 2006, 7:24:16 AM7/25/06
Hi there!

Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski wrote in message <slrnecc7r...@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl>:

> At Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:16:46 +1200,
> Kostatus wrote:
>
>> benn wrote:
>
>> Maybe we South Hemispherians should band together to defeat the East
>> Europeans (especially those Poles)!
>
>> (As to a definition of "defeat", I'm open to suggestions).
>
> Drinking contest!

Almost every time I see a certain Polish roguelike developer (one of
these posting here) on IRC, he is either drikning or enjoying a
hangover instead of working on a new version of his RL.

So, I think, it would be really hard to match Poles in such contest.

--
May your code work forever and never have a bug.
At your service, Ilya Bely

lochok

Jul 26, 2006, 2:47:58 AM7/26/06

LET THE SOUTHERN INVASION BEGIN!!!! MWA HA HA HA HA!.....

OK.... maybe not.....

Lochok