King of MuHyup v1.000 released!

Joe Hewitt

Mar 3, 2006, 9:19:23 PM3/3/06
I am pleased to announce the release of my 7DRL King of MuHyup. You can
download it from here:

http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/muhyup/index.html

I haven't been able to post my dev diary for the past few days since
there were simultaneous internet problems at home and at my school. The
game was finished last night at 11:59PM. There are a couple of balance
problems but I haven't encountered any real bugs, and the game is
pretty fun to play.

>From the readme:

The point of the game is to gain 10 followers and be declared the King
of Muhyup. You can do this through diplomacy or force. Note that all
the
other NPCs are competing for the same goal, and any one of them could
potentially win the game before you.

When the game starts, you'll be prompted to select a job and enter a
name for your character. The jobs are listed in rough order of
challenge: Completing the game with a peasant is very difficult, while
completing it with a hero is less so.

This game was partially inspired by the old C=64 game Shogun, though
since I haven't played that game in at least 20 years any similarity to
the original would be pretty amazing.

I release this first/final version of KoM under the WPL. As ye do no
harm,
do as ye will with the source code and associated binaries. This shall
be
the whole of the license.

Now, some final development notes:

In the end, both kung-fu skills and monsters were excluded from the
game. The trouble with adding monsters is that they'd have to be
treated differently from other models, otherwise the NPCs would try
talking with them/recruiting them/etc. If I had been thinking clearly,
I could have added checks to prevent NPCs from interacting with
monsters in inappropriate ways while I was writing the AI code
originally. On the plus side, I don't think monsters would have added
much to the game.

I think some of the things done in KoM could have applications in
GearHead-2. I like the evolutionary nature of the NPCs in KoM- some
will become successful, and "naturally" become the PC's enemy. If the
NPCs in GearHead could scheme and follow their own agendas like the
NPCs in KoM, I think they'd have a lot more personality than they do
now. Of course GH is a much more complicated system and the PC won't be
constantly informed of the NPC's actions, so doing this might be more
difficult. It is something to think about though.

Also worth thinking about are the methods of interaction in KoM. The PC
can talk with NPCs, fight them, give them gifts, try to make them join
him, and give them orders. It's up to the player to decide the best way
to interact with a given NPC: try to recruit them, ignore them, rob
them, or kill them. In contrast, the PC in GearHead is limited to
dealing with the NPCs in ways defined by scripts.

- Joseph Hewitt
--
Comics> http://ataraxia.comicgenesis.com
GearHead>http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/gearhead/index.html