Lords of DarkHall v1.2.32

Brigand

Sep 18, 2008, 4:21:43 PM9/18/08
New version of Lords of DarkHall is now available at:

http://lordsofdarkhall.weebly.com

New version: v1.2.32

Incomplete list of changes since last announced version (v1.1.97):

New skills

-Rooting Shot: Imbue your ranged attacks with a magical seed, which
bursts upon impact. Grasping vines hold the target in place while you
continue to destroy it from afar, or deal with closer attackers.
-Reflect: An upgrade to divine armor, this skill improves your shield
in 2 ways. First, it improves the amount of damage the shield absorbs.
Second, it gives the shield a chance to reflect magical spells back
upon the attacker.
-Terror: This new skill allows the caster to unleash a terrifying
howl, causing nearby creatures to flee in terror. Some creatures
(notably mindless, or unintelligent) are unaffected.
-Battle-cry: The well trained warrior charges into battle, unleashing
a horrible battlecry, stunning nearby foes into a confused stupor.
Stunned foes are easily dispatched, or incapacitated while you deal
with those unaffected.
-Smoke-bomb: This rogue skill provides an easy escape, or a foil to
ranged attackers. Throwing a small vial of magical liquid causes a
great volume of smoke to arise at the target. Targets within the smoke
become confused, and are unable to see far enough to make effective
ranged attacks. The smoke will clear after a short period of time.
-Upgrade Wolf: Rangers who invest in their skill get a large increase
to the abilities of their wolf companions. In addition to basic stat
increases to armor, attack power, health, etc, the wolf gain several
new abilities, including a stunning maul attack, frost immunity, and a
terrifying howl.

Skill changes
-Divine Armor: Now provides resistance to holy/unholy attacks when
active (both base and upgraded versions)
-Ice Armor: Provides resistance to frost when active.

Class changes
-Mages can now wear most types of armor, with the continued exception
of shields and body armor (which is substituted with robes).

New monsters and monster abilities
-Watch out for creatures that can drain your life, or use player
skills against you.
-MANY new monsters. I have had to resort to using public domain tiles
in order to speed up the inclusion of new monster types, but the tiles
are high quality, and add much to the game. Eventually, I will likely
replace these tiles with my own, but they are much appreciated for
now. Details and credits for these tiles can be found in the license/
read-me file.
-Monster Generators - Called 'Summoning Obelisks', these oddly carved
stone pillars draw creatures to them from some unknown magic.
Destroying one will stop new monsters from appearing nearby.
-NPCs now wander the dungeon, and may provide special services to the
player - if you can find them.

New items
-Wands are now available for all classes except the pure melee fighter
class. Wands provide more than just fireballs and frost ray, and can
be used to confuse, blind, root, etc.
-Town portal scrolls are now improved. As before, reading a scroll in
the dungeon will return you to town. However, reading a scroll in town
will now also return you to your original location.

Interface Improvements
-The message log has been improved in both the number of messages that
it will remember (over 3 times as manay as before) and the way it
display the messages (allowing normal copy/paste/scroll operations).
-Save games have now been implemented. These completely save your
character, as well as certain features such as permanent dungeon
portals. Specific dungeon layouts are not retained, though the level
types are. Save games are only available in town.

Bug fixes - far too numerous to list here, though most are detailed in
specific on my website.

Note on newest version:
During the course of programming a few weeks ago, I somehow fried the
motherboard in my laptop (again), forcing me to purchase a new
computer out right. However, whereas before the computer had Windows
XP on it, the new computer has Vista. This has not seemed to impact me
in any negative way, but a few players have been reporting crashes
that I have not been able to duplicate; however, these crashes seem to
have appeared about the time I made the switch. I am able to test on
an XP system and a Vista system, and I am not seeing any problems, but
please shoot me a note if you have this happen to you, and anything
interesting that was going on when it happened. I do try to test the
versions, and not release unstable ones, and at least on my end, this
has been the case.

Unfortunately, save files are NOT compatible from version to version
for the most part. I'm very sorry :(

Thank you again for your time and messages (especially to Mr. Tormod
Haugen, Mr. Theron Seckington, and a certain Mr. Sunrise.) I hope you
enjoy the new skills and features. All that remains are for 2 base
skills to be implemented, and then the fleshing out of the final
levels and creatures, so a 'finished' version is not too far off. I
also am considering adding a 'reward' skill for completing any single
skill line (sort of a 'specialization' bonus), but more details will
follow. Balance, as always, is ongoing.

Brigand