[Gum] Gumband 2.2.4 is here at last!

R. Dan Henry

Jun 11, 2006, 3:43:32 AM6/11/06
Or, actually, it's on www.furytech.net now. I'm investigating
possibilities for an actual Gumband home page. Now, if you want to be
totally spoiled, the change list is fairly detailed. When I actually get
things done, I like to document every bit, so I can see progress. There
is the source and gmdos224.zip, which is an executable compiled for DOS.

So, what are the main features of this release?

* Well, you can "repeat last command" on "n". This isn't working for
mindcrafting or mutations/racial powers, but after a few failures, I
gave up on fixing those for now, since those are areas I plan on
rewriting in any case.

* Plenty of new stuff from the two series about Corum, which I think is
some of Moorcock's best writing. Over 40 new monsters to battle (47 if I
counted right) and a few revisions to existing monsters. This includes
minions of Chaos, the forces of the Fhoi Myore, and Prince Gaynor the
Damned (I'm surprised he wasn't in there to begin with).

* New items. Some revisions to armor and weapons lists, a couple of ego
types are renamed, and some artifact changes. Again, from the Corum
books, including Traitor, Corum's sword from the second series.

* Half-Orcs and Half-Titans are gone from player races. Instead, we have
Nhadragh and Sidhi. Also, humans are slightly better at combat. The new
races use the new "Vadhagh" syllables for randomly generated names, as
do Vadhagh and Melnibonean characters.

* A new monster flag/ability, given to several of the new monsters.

* Antiques Store pricing fixed, as previous 1/2 price was abusable.

* Aggravation no longer makes pets hostile. This should mean that
Stormbringer's activation should now actually be useful.

* Berserking was negating not only magical bonus to AC on armor, but
spell protections including the clearly physical "Stone Skin". Now timed
spells grant AC after berserking sets +AC to zero so they will be
effective. However, I suspect mutations granting armor will not be
applied when berserk. I'll worry about this when I get around to
rewriting mutation.c.

* The edit files are renamed to the more descriptive names used in more
modern Angband. I hope to move more data into edit files as I proceed.
Not so much for ease of data editing. I just find it easier to read code
that isn't cluttered up with data.

Bug reports and comments are welcomes. Bug fixes and patches are also
welcome. Especially if you can do a quick fix for the "repeat last
command" limitations. Also, I'd like feedback on mutations. Which
mutations do you like/dislike? Which mutations from other variants (or
even other games) would you like to see? Or any other thoughts on
mutations, because 2.2.5 is going to take materials from the
Erekose/Eternal Champion trilogy and the gameplay focus will be fixing
up mutations (and racial ability activations, so any thoughts on those,
too).

--
R. Dan Henry
danh...@inreach.com

Polarhound

Jun 11, 2006, 1:21:01 PM6/11/06
I see one of the characters listed in the Half-Life RPG on the site is a
Garg. I don't remember a Garg in HL... Although I DO remember one from
Commander Keen Episode 1

Twisted

Jun 11, 2006, 2:01:31 PM6/11/06

Speaking of Half-Life, I can't find any store within walking distance
of here that sells HL2: Episode 1 (the first expansion pack, though
it's actually standalone); I don't have the use of a car; I'm not
spending 20% extra to obtain it, which is what using a bus would entail
with the ludicrous fares around here (and that's on top of the 15% tax
that, being a Canuck, I can't avoid -- that would add up to a 35%
surcharge! Unbelievable!); I don't have a CC and don't intend to change
that*, so I can't just order it online as a download; and waiting ages
or missing out on it entirely is not an option. Any suggestions? :P

* There are various philosophical reasons for being a credit card
refusenik, as well as practical ones such as I don't have the kind of
history or income that they prefer applicants to have -- not that that
stops them sending snail-mail spam offers weekly or more often...

Joseph William Dixon

Jun 11, 2006, 2:32:05 PM6/11/06

Gargs are the giant blue bastards like the one in the train station and on
the dam.

--
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They
never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our

The Fury

Jun 11, 2006, 6:52:52 PM6/11/06

Gargs are the huge blue flamethrower for arms guys.

The HL RPG is still very much a work in progress, that I havent worked on in a
while. Mainly just no interest in finishing it at the moment.

I will get around to it eventually. :)

konijn_

Jun 11, 2006, 7:35:24 PM6/11/06
<SNIP>

> * There are various philosophical reasons for being a credit card
> refusenik, as well as practical ones such as I don't have the kind of
> history or income that they prefer applicants to have -- not that that
> stops them sending snail-mail spam offers weekly or more often...

Ah, that just makes me upset.
Why do you get spam offers weekly to you while I live in Canada
since 2 years and I still dont get a CC, because of 'lack of credit
history'...

I got a CC when I was 22 in Belgium, I am now 29 and still only have my
Belgian one...
*phew* After getting that of my chest, I feel better now ;)

Oh, and Hellband is doing not very well, thanks to Pav who put a link
to a certain online web rpg that is a real time sink.

Cheers,
T.

R. Dan Henry

Jun 16, 2006, 12:43:18 AM6/16/06
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 00:43:32 -0700, R. Dan Henry <danh...@inreach.com>
wrote:

>Bug reports and comments are welcomes.

Bleh. In addition to minor errors in some descriptions, I discovered I
made the Fhoi Myore "G" instead of "P" monsters. Oops. Still doesn't
effect gameplay, much. My own playtesting continues. I do hope somebody
else out there will also give it a go. If you are going to compile a
non-DOS version, let me know and I'll send you an updated monster.txt
(holding off on general release of that now, until I've had a chance to
catch any bugs and do a 2.2.4a bugfix release).

Martin Bazley

Jun 17, 2006, 5:00:59 AM6/17/06
'Twas a dark and stormy night, as the fingers
of R. Dan Henry tapped out the following:

> Bug reports and comments are welcomes. Bug fixes and patches are also
> welcome. Especially if you can do a quick fix for the "repeat last
> command" limitations. Also, I'd like feedback on mutations. Which
> mutations do you like/dislike? Which mutations from other variants (or
> even other games) would you like to see? Or any other thoughts on
> mutations, because 2.2.5 is going to take materials from the
> Erekose/Eternal Champion trilogy and the gameplay focus will be fixing
> up mutations (and racial ability activations, so any thoughts on those,
> too).

Kamband has quite a nice haemophilia mutation...

--
- Martin Bazley - "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be"
Posting from an X100 Iyonix running RISC OS 5.11 - RISC OS Rules OK!

First Law of the French Department: We don't speak French. (Bonjour La Classe)

Lawson

Jun 20, 2006, 6:25:48 PM6/20/06
Can I be a real pest and beg someone to build a Windows version of 2.2.4? On my
Linux desktop I play 2.2.4 and it's great. However, my notebook is Windows and
I don't have a Windows compiler and the DOS version runs like a slug.

Thanks in advance!

--
Lawson Reilly

copx

Jul 4, 2006, 5:31:05 AM7/4/06
Lawson schrieb:

I have compiled it. Still waiting for the updated monster.txt, though.
Where I am supposed to upload it BTW?

R. Dan Henry

Jul 28, 2006, 9:40:27 PM7/28/06

I did send copx the updated monster.txt, but if anyone playing the DOS
version wants a copy, just email and I'll send it to you. There were
more cosmetic problems than I would have liked, but it had been so long
since there was a release, and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find time
to play much myself to catch mistakes, I did pretty much rush it out
once I had it "ready".

Oh, and copx provided a copy of his makefile which has gone into the
development version so the work won't have to be repeated in the future.
Thanks for that.

>Where I am supposed to upload it BTW?

I can do uploads if compiled versions are sent to me and you don't have
a place to put it. Unfortunately, since Thangorodrim died, there really
isn't an official central repository any more.

--
R. Dan Henry
danh...@inreach.com

Paul is dead!