Recent changes

MattDP

Apr 15, 2009, 9:45:20 AM4/15/09

I've been a longtime player of the Tk series on and off, almost always
with Dwarf Paladins, although still without a win (came close once).

Every time I get the Angband bug, I always check out the latest non-Tk
release to see if I can swing into it before deciding the interface is
too horrible and going back to my beloved eye candy. For various
reasons, I've managed to stick with the latest release - the BigTile
mode and inclusion of Gervais' tiles (so things look like what I'm
used to them looking like) is a huge plus, and the clincher, I think,
is the pop-up menu which makes it a synch to use rarely-used commands
without looking up the key.

So, it seems things have changed a lot. A few questions ...

1) I can no longer seem to buy daggers, main-gauche, whips or lanterns
in the town. Have these actually been removed from shops or have I
simply been tremendously unlucky.
2) My character found a magical dagger that turned out to be -1,
-4 ... can you now get negative but non-cursed items then?
3) I can't seem to run. Holding down shift does nothing (this is on
windows - I understood it was an issue on some Linux distros). What's
going on here, and how do I resume running?
4) I seem to have lost some interface options. I used to be able to
switch things for auto-pickup and prompt before picking up - meaning I
could walk over an item and be asked y/n as to whether to pick it up.
Can I replicate this behaviour, or was this flag a Tk only thing?
5) The default use of a cloak icon for unexplored dungeon is really
annoying! Can I change it?
6) Tk used to remember recall levels. I'm well aware that this isn't a
standard feature of Angband, but is there a switch for it so I can
turn it on?
7) Monster AI seems to have improved - things now seem to show a
marked unwillingness to follow me down corridors. Did I imagine this?
It's a great change if it has improved!
8) Tk offered you a useful summary of what resistances and abilities
you had and what equipment was giving it to you in the form of a cross-
reference chart. Is there any equivalent in the basic version? If not,
it strikes me it'd make a very handy addition.
9) Anything else really important I should know in jumping from 2.9 to
3.1? Particularly are there any major changes to the "required"
resists and abilities for certain depths?

Cheers!
Matt

zai...@zaimoni.com

Apr 15, 2009, 1:37:21 PM4/15/09
On Apr 15, 8:45 am, MattDP <matt_thro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been a longtime player of the Tk series on and off, almost always
> with Dwarf Paladins, although still without a win (came close once).
>
> Every time I get the Angband bug, I always check out the latest non-Tk
> release to see if I can swing into it before deciding the interface is
> too horrible and going back to my beloved eye candy. For various
> reasons, I've managed to stick with the latest release - the BigTile
> mode and inclusion of Gervais' tiles (so things look like what I'm
> used to them looking like) is a huge plus, and the clincher, I think,
> is the pop-up menu which makes it a synch to use rarely-used commands
> without looking up the key.
>
> So, it seems things have changed a lot. A few questions ...
>
> 1) I can no longer seem to buy daggers, main-gauche, whips or lanterns
> in the town. Have these actually been removed from shops or have I
> simply been tremendously unlucky.

The General Store has been completely redone; torches have been
upgraded to compensate for the ad-hoc removal of lanterns.

> 2) My character found a magical dagger that turned out to be -1,
> -4 ... can you now get negative but non-cursed items then?

Yes.

> 4) I seem to have lost some interface options. I used to be able to
> switch things for auto-pickup and prompt before picking up - meaning I
> could walk over an item and be asked y/n as to whether to pick it up.
> Can I replicate this behaviour, or was this flag a Tk only thing?

Options were severely changed around 3.0.7 or 3.0.8. autopickup was
revamped considerably; you can still get the behavior you mention by
explicitly going into the options screen.

> 6) Tk used to remember recall levels. I'm well aware that this isn't a
> standard feature of Angband, but is there a switch for it so I can
> turn it on?

This was added to the Character screen (C command). First page.

> 7) Monster AI seems to have improved - things now seem to show a
> marked unwillingness to follow me down corridors. Did I imagine this?

While this has been around for some time, the default choice of AI was
changed when AI was made a birth option. It defaults on now, rather
than defaulting off.

> 8) Tk offered you a useful summary of what resistances and abilities
> you had and what equipment was giving it to you in the form of a cross-
> reference chart. Is there any equivalent in the basic version?

Second screen of the Character display.

> 9) Anything else really important I should know in jumping from 2.9 to
> 3.1? Particularly are there any major changes to the "required"
> resists and abilities for certain depths?

Aside from a healthier respect for chain-summoning demons, and nexus
resist being useful far earlier (DL15-ish) than it is commonly
available due to a deficiency in stat-gain potions?

Klaus Kruse

Apr 16, 2009, 3:06:31 AM4/16/09
zai...@zaimoni.com wrote:
> On Apr 15, 8:45 am, MattDP <matt_thro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 6) Tk used to remember recall levels. I'm well aware that this isn't a
>> standard feature of Angband, but is there a switch for it so I can
>> turn it on?
>
> This was added to the Character screen (C command). First page.

No, thats not what he meant (Me thinks). In Tk versions, you can
actually recall to town and back, with no re-roll of the dungeon (The
game 'remembers' the level). There is no option for this in the standard
version of Angband.

Klaus

Josh Hayes

Apr 16, 2009, 12:21:33 PM4/16/09
MattDP <matt_t...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:2609631c-2043-40ec-ae21-
d5f07e...@3g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

> 3) I can't seem to run. Holding down shift does nothing (this is on
> windows - I understood it was an issue on some Linux distros). What's
> going on here, and how do I resume running?

Zaimoni handled most of the rest, but I too have this problem even with
Zangband - unless I have Num Lock enabled. That seems to fix the problem
for me anyway; it's worth a shot (and I play under Windows XP).

-Josh

Klaus Kruse

Apr 16, 2009, 7:47:35 PM4/16/09

Funny, I need to disable Numlock to run.

Klaus

MattDP

Apr 17, 2009, 10:52:33 AM4/17/09
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Looking forward to seeing
what's new in the lower dungeon levels!

MattDP

Apr 18, 2009, 9:54:18 AM4/18/09
Is there no way of changing the default setting of a cloak for an
unexplored space? It's really annoying - I keep missing things that
have been turned up with detect spells because they blend seamlessly
into the background!

Klaus Kruse

Apr 19, 2009, 5:10:34 AM4/19/09

This happens due to special lighting, which needs 3 graphics for every
object, but only one is reserved for unexplored ground.

There are two work-arounds for now. First, you can change the used
character:

1. Go to options '='
2. Interact with visual 'v'
3. Change feature attr/chars 'h'
4. Decrease current attr/char by one 'C'
5. Dump feature attr/chars 'd'

You haver to repeat this for every new Character.

Secondly, you can disable the problem by removing special lighting of
unexplored floors:

1. Go to options '='
2. Display options 'b'
3. Set either option 'h' (field of view) or option 'j' (floor grids) to no.
4. 'Esc', and dump options 'o'

Hopefully the next version will fix this, by either reserving 3 graphics
for unexplored floor, or by changing the lighting system for graphics
(now its just going to the next or second next graphic depending on
lighting because of a reuse of variables between ascii and graphics mode).

Klaus

Stefan O'Rear

Apr 19, 2009, 3:51:40 PM4/19/09
On 2009-04-19, Klaus Kruse <k.k...@gmx.de> wrote:
> 5. Dump feature attr/chars 'd'
>
> You haver to repeat this for every new Character.

If you dump it to the special file "user.prf" it will be loaded for
_every_ character.

MattDP

Apr 20, 2009, 9:41:11 AM4/20/09

Lovely, thanks!

Klaus Kruse

Apr 21, 2009, 5:52:07 PM4/21/09

Doesn't matter, I even have to repeat it after choosing the same name
after my HP drop below 0.

seoman_...@yahoo.com

Apr 23, 2009, 1:16:52 PM4/23/09

This has the drawback that you loose the special lighting and don't
know where in the dungeon you have been already.

JoyrexJ9 posted a simple solution for the problem with the cloak-tile
background at the Angband Forums:
Changing line 17 of 'graf-dvg.prf' to "F:0:0x79:0x79" also solves the
issue.

John

Apr 30, 2009, 4:58:52 PM4/30/09

"Josh Hayes" <jos...@spamblarg.net> wrote in message

I remove the keymap from shift direction and I seem to be able to run ok.