[Un] Unangband 0.6.1 beta 3 released

1 view

Andrew Doull

Jun 9, 2006, 9:11:59 AM6/9/06

The windows executeable is available at
http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-win.zip

The source is available at
http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-src.zip

This should be the final version before release of 0.6.1. Thanks for everyone
who reported bugs.

Changes since beta 2:

- Some new weapons and armour re-balancing from Sangband.

- Made cumulative effects of confusion and stun on monsters dependent on their
level.

- Made monster saving throws again slow, blindness, confusion etc more
variable.

- Potions, flasks and spores will always explode when thrown as if hitting a
monster. They will also explode when on the floor and destroyed by an attack.
This allows much more tactical diversity when using them (Requested by mikon).

- Haggling and auto-scum are now birth rather than game-play options.

- Separated out maximise modes for race and class. Class now defaults to off
(Half-maximise mode).

- Updated character display and dumps to include all object flags.

- Corpses and other objects which are never picked up do not disturb the player
when moving across them (Requested by will_asher).

- Added new object run_ignore_floors which defaults to on, which means the
player ignores unusual floor types such as slime, blood and dust whilst running
(Requested by will_asher).

- Added auto_display_lists and toggle_xp options from Hengband.

- Display stats at bottom rather than side of screen by default.

- Display amnesia, petrification, cursed status if there is room.

- Fixed bug causing repeated reporting of unknown flags on equipment in
self-knowledge
(In character dump by Bandobras).

- Fixed bug causing infinite sleeping (Reported by mikon).

- Improved loading of 0.6.0 save-files (Reported by darkDrone).

- Fixed crash when initialising sounds (Reported by ekolis).

- Wands of Wonder II are now random.

- Clear dungeons explored with each new character (From various character dumps
on
angband.oook.cz).

- Weak shaman rune sensing should notice the presence of runes on object kinds
(Reported by Bandobras).

- Blindness, paralysation, sleep effects from potins and mushrooms and coatings
should now take effect against monsters (Reported by Bandobras).

- Fix item boost code so that to-hit, to-dam, to-ac bonuses only appear on
appropriate
items (Reported by Bandobras and ekolis).

- Services no longer say they can be enchanted when examined (Reported by
Mikon).

- Fixed bug where a fountain would contain amulets of ESP as opposed to a
potion
(Reported by Mikon).

- Fix bugs in new lite charge code when wielding and taking off lite sources
(Reported
by will_asher and others).

- Fixed bug preventing Sauron from appearing in Orodruin (Reported by Ewan
McNay).

- Fixed bug causes quest location items to occasionally appear in resupply
buildings
(Reported by mikon and others).

Regards,

Andrew

pete mack

Jun 9, 2006, 10:33:58 PM6/9/06

Andrew Doull wrote:
> Hi,
>

> The windows executeable is available at
> http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-win.zip
>
> The source is available at
> http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-src.zip
>
> This should be the final version before release of 0.6.1. Thanks for everyone
> who reported bugs.

I compiled the console/X version on OS X, and got it running in console
mode. (Stupid not to try that before.) What's the deal with the North
and West walls in town? They are always blue, until you walk up and
illuminate them, at which point they turn dark.

I got to the dungeon, and the room walls are present, but the corridor
walls behave the same as the N and W walls in town--visible when
adjacent, but disappear when you walk past. (If running, I never see
the walls at all.) Any suggestions?

pete mack

Jun 9, 2006, 11:17:17 PM6/9/06
pete mack wrote:

> andrew wrote:
> >
> > The source is available at
> > http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-src.zip
> >
> > This should be the final version before release of 0.6.1. Thanks for everyone
> > who reported bugs.
>
> I compiled the console/X version on OS X, and got it running in console
> mode. (Stupid not to try that before.) What's the deal with the North
> and West walls in town? They are always blue, until you walk up and
> illuminate them, at which point they turn dark.
>
> I got to the dungeon, and the room walls are present, but the corridor
> walls behave the same as the N and W walls in town--visible when
> adjacent, but disappear when you walk past. (If running, I never see
> the walls at all.) Any suggestions?

Further investigation shows that the color 'light dark' is rendered as
completely black. This continues even if I set the color preference to
0xff, 0xff, 0xff -- white.

I then turned on the X emulator, which does display the colors
correctly, though the default font is an ugly one. It's also not as
clean an interface as the native one--no in-proc font control, and much
slower, flickering redraw.

Unfortunately, I met my death in a buggy way to Farmer Maggot's dog on
DL 2: I read Phase Door, and did not move anywhere. He got another
couple bites in and that was the end.

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 12:47:00 AM6/10/06

pete mack wrote:
> Andrew Doull wrote:

> > The source is available at
> > http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-src.zip
> >
> > This should be the final version before release of 0.6.1. Thanks for everyone

What is the deal with scrolls of Teleportation and Phase Door? I have
died 4 times to Maggot's dogs, because ?Phase Door didn't work, and
then ?Teleportation didn't either. My other death was to Cave Spiders;
I saw one between 2 piles of rubble, and forgot that the others could
climb on top. They hid until I was all the way to the rubble piles,
and then moved forward. And of course, ?Phase door failed again...

I suspect I will not be able to play in Berserker mode as either a
thief or a ranger, the two classes I've tried so far.

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 1:22:46 AM6/10/06

That's very odd. Phase door is working fine for me.

There was an issue with beta 1 where phase and teleport weren't working, but
that has since been fixed.

Is anyone else able to compile an OS/X version of Unangband and confirm whether
or not this is happening?

Andrew

--
Unangband L:C E+ T- R- P+ D-- G+(+) F:Sangband RL-- RLA-- W:F Q++
AI+(++) GFX++ SFX++ RN+++(+) PO++ Hp+++ Re--(+) S++ C- O* KG--

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 1:59:58 AM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 07:22:46, Andrew Doull <andre...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 2006-06-10 06:47:00, "pete mack" wrote:
>
> > pete mack wrote:

> > What is the deal with scrolls of Teleportation and Phase Door? I have
> > died 4 times to Maggot's dogs, because ?Phase Door didn't work, and
> > then ?Teleportation didn't either. My other death was to Cave Spiders;
> > I saw one between 2 piles of rubble, and forgot that the others could
> > climb on top. They hid until I was all the way to the rubble piles,
> > and then moved forward. And of course, ?Phase door failed again...
> >
> > I suspect I will not be able to play in Berserker mode as either a
> > thief or a ranger, the two classes I've tried so far.
>
> That's very odd. Phase door is working fine for me.
>
> There was an issue with beta 1 where phase and teleport weren't working, but
> that has since been fixed.
>
> Is anyone else able to compile an OS/X version of Unangband and confirm whether
> or not this is happening?
>
> Andrew

Having said that, I've just found a very horrid bug that could be causing this.

Are you able to download the source from the Unangband CVS to confirm whether
this now works? Alternately, could you update the spells1.c from the following
url and see if this fixes it:
http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/unangband/unangband/src/spells1.c?rev=1.73

Regards,

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 2:14:00 AM6/10/06

Andrew Doull wrote:

> That's very odd. Phase door is working fine for me.

Doh! I just checked and I had used the wrong zip file. I'd downloaded
it a long time ago and forgot about it. I now have compiled the
correct one, and it is working fine.

BTW: gcc -O2 is more reliable than -O1. gcc -O1 is liable to have
bugs, because (almost) nobody tests it in the field.

> There was an issue with beta 1 where phase and teleport weren't working, but
> that has since been fixed.

Yep, that was it. My apologies. In any case, unangband works
adequately on OS X, if you have the X11 emulator. It doesn't work in
console (gcu) mode, because it invariably fails to render the color
'light dark'.

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 2:20:05 AM6/10/06

Andrew Doull wrote:
> On 2006-06-10 07:22:46, Andrew Doull <andre...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > What is the deal with scrolls of Teleportation and Phase Door? I have
> > > died 4 times to Maggot's dogs, because ?Phase Door didn't work, and
> > > then ?Teleportation didn't either. My other death was to Cave Spiders;
> > > I saw one between 2 piles of rubble, and forgot that the others could
> > > climb on top. They hid until I was all the way to the rubble piles,
> > > and then moved forward. And of course, ?Phase door failed again...
> > >
> > > I suspect I will not be able to play in Berserker mode as either a
> > > thief or a ranger, the two classes I've tried so far.
> >
> > That's very odd. Phase door is working fine for me.
> >
> > There was an issue with beta 1 where phase and teleport weren't working, but
> > that has since been fixed.
> >
> > Is anyone else able to compile an OS/X version of Unangband and confirm whether
> > or not this is happening?
> >
> > Andrew
>
> Having said that, I've just found a very horrid bug that could be causing this.

I guess we're even!

> Are you able to download the source from the Unangband CVS to confirm whether
> this now works? Alternately, could you update the spells1.c from the following
> url and see if this fixes it:

> http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi ...

And yes, that would be a nasty bug for a scroll of light, or mass
genocide.

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 2:27:55 AM6/10/06

Andrew Doull wrote:
> [ unangband release ]

1 more thing: the character stats display seems to be messed up. It
shows Self and Best as the same, and it no longer shows the class
bonuses.

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 2:57:27 AM6/10/06

This is because of the new maximize_class and maximize_race options. You can now
either choose maximize mode for either your class, or your race or both. I've
defaulted to half-maximize mode, where your race bonuses are treated like stat
modifiers, and your class bonuses are treated like quaffing additional stat
potions at the start of your life.

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 2:58:39 AM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 08:14:00, "pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew Doull wrote:
> Yep, that was it. My apologies. In any case, unangband works
> adequately on OS X, if you have the X11 emulator. It doesn't work in
> console (gcu) mode, because it invariably fails to render the color
> 'light dark'.

Is this unique to Unangband? I haven't touched the color code as far as I am
aware, from Angband 2.9.2... of course, if there have been any fixes on the
Angband source for this, I should probably include them.

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 3:08:45 AM6/10/06
Andrew Doull wrote:
> The source is available at
> http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-src.zip

More bugs:
* seg fault--stack corrupted when I went down a well to 'the Brandywine
Bridge'. Map was drawn, message displayed, then lethal crash, no
stack available.
* [From previous] Class Bonus and "Self" are screwed up in the
character info.
* Some things are too rare in the stores.
- No Phase Door means you pretty much have to restart. Maggot's
dogs and poisonous snakes are too deadly without. (Same for
distance weapon--need at least a sling to survive at level.)
. - I got 4 torches with 690 turns of light once, and there was no
additional illumination in any store.

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 3:20:11 AM6/10/06

Andrew Doull wrote:

> This is because of the new maximize_class and maximize_race options. You can now
> either choose maximize mode for either your class, or your race or both. I've
> defaulted to half-maximize mode, where your race bonuses are treated like stat
> modifiers, and your class bonuses are treated like quaffing additional stat
> potions at the start of your life.

Ouch. I will change my birth options. I was playing Half-elf thief,
for whom it would be extra hard to maximize STR and CON.

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 3:11:12 AM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 09:08:45, "pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew Doull wrote:
> > The source is available at
> > http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-src.zip
>
> More bugs:
> * seg fault--stack corrupted when I went down a well to 'the Brandywine
> Bridge'. Map was drawn, message displayed, then lethal crash, no
> stack available.

Which dungeon were you in when you went down the well?

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 3:30:05 AM6/10/06

Andrew Doull wrote:
> On 2006-06-10 09:08:45, "pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Andrew Doull wrote:
> > > The source is available at
> > > http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-src.zip
> >
> > More bugs:
> > * seg fault--stack corrupted when I went down a well to 'the Brandywine
> > Bridge'. Map was drawn, message displayed, then lethal crash, no
> > stack available.
>
> Which dungeon were you in when you went down the well?

The one under maggot's farm. I was at 300' or so.

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 3:32:41 AM6/10/06

Andrew Doull wrote:
> On 2006-06-10 08:14:00, "pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Andrew Doull wrote:
> > Yep, that was it. My apologies. In any case, unangband works
> > adequately on OS X, if you have the X11 emulator. It doesn't work in
> > console (gcu) mode, because it invariably fails to render the color
> > 'light dark'.
>
> Is this unique to Unangband? I haven't touched the color code as far as I am
> aware, from Angband 2.9.2... of course, if there have been any fixes on the
> Angband source for this, I should probably include them.

You suspect correctly. I built v 3.0.6 with gcu/x11.
The gcu terminal refuses to display 'light dark', while x11 is working
adequately.

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 3:40:27 AM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 09:20:11, "pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

There is a bug in full maximise mode that I fixed this morning. You might want
to grab an updated birth.c.

Regards,

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 3:51:56 AM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 09:30:05, "pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew Doull wrote:

> > > More bugs:
> > > * seg fault--stack corrupted when I went down a well to 'the Brandywine
> > > Bridge'. Map was drawn, message displayed, then lethal crash, no
> > > stack available.
> >
> > Which dungeon were you in when you went down the well?
>
> The one under maggot's farm. I was at 300' or so.

Hmm... can't think of anything off the top of my head.

As an aside, assuming anyone else is reading this thread, I can't seem to locate
the 'dumb borg' that Leon wrote for testing purposes (particularly picking up
crash bugs). Does someone have a copy or link I can get this from?

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 5:31:38 AM6/10/06
For those with OS X who want to try an unported variant, here is your
chance!

Andrew Doull wrote:
> On 2006-06-10 08:14:00, "pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Yep, that was it. My apologies. In any case, unangband works
> > adequately on OS X, if you have the X11 emulator. It doesn't work in
> > console (gcu) mode, because it invariably fails to render the color
> > 'light dark'.
>
> Is this unique to Unangband? I haven't touched the color code as far as I am
> aware, from Angband 2.9.2... of course, if there have been any fixes on the
> Angband source for this, I should probably include them.

OK, I did some really unpleasant source diving in part of the code I
don't know.
The trouble:
- Apple terminal only has 7 true colors and black. (WRGBCYM) (Cyan is
unused in Angband, thankfully.)
- Apple terminal uses bold-face to represent A_BRIGHT, and normal font
for A_NORMAL. So (COLOR_BLACK | A_BRIGHT) does not render on a black
background.
- apple terminal does not permit can_change_color()

Thus, 'Light Dark' is rendered as black.

Patch:
append the following to the colortable definition in main-gcu.c.
(line 1221 angband 3.0.6, line 1080 unangband)

#ifdef BAD_COLORS
/* Remap blues & light dark for 7-color graphics. */
colortable[14] = (COLOR_PAIR(6) | A_NORMAL); /* Light
Blue->Cyan */
colortable[6] = (COLOR_PAIR(4) | A_BRIGHT); /* Blue->Blue
Bold */
colortable[8] = (COLOR_PAIR(4) | A_NORMAL); /* Light
Dark->Blue Normal */
#endif

new mappings:
Light blue -> Cyan (ugh)
Blue -> Blue bold
Light Dark -> Blue normal

The compile line in Makefile.std needs -DBAD_COLORS along with -DUSE_GCU

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 5:38:39 AM6/10/06

pete mack wrote:
> For those with OS X who want to try an unported variant, here is your
> chance!

Followup: that stuff only applies if you don't have the X emulator
installed. You need to do a console-only (gcu) build:

CFLAGS = -I/usr/include/ncurses -Wall \
-O2 -fno-strength-reduce \
-DBAD_COLORS -D"USE_GCU" -D"USE_NCURSES" -g

The X11 version is *much* better, but you need a lot of memory to run
the X emulator.
The apple console is very primitive, with only 7 color graphics, rather
than Angband's default 15.

Nick McConnell

Jun 10, 2006, 5:32:49 AM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 09:51:56, Andrew Doull <andre...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> As an aside, assuming anyone else is reading this thread, I can't seem to locate
> the 'dumb borg' that Leon wrote for testing purposes (particularly picking up
> crash bugs). Does someone have a copy or link I can get this from?

http://www.oangband.com/dl_misc/borgdumb.zip

Nick.

--
Nick McConnell
FA + "Silence VII" DERo L:37 DL:47 A+ R+ !Sp w:Totila

Twisted

Jun 10, 2006, 5:45:28 AM6/10/06
Suggest checking all functions with array local variables and pointer
use. It's probably one of these scribbling outside the bounds of a
local array and clobbering the return info, then trying to return. And
it will be an unangband campaign
related/wilderness/multi-dungeon/whatsit function I expect.

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 6:04:08 AM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 11:32:49, Nick McConnell <nckmc...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On 2006-06-10 09:51:56, Andrew Doull wrote:
>
> > As an aside, assuming anyone else is reading this thread, I can't seem to locate
> > the 'dumb borg' that Leon wrote for testing purposes (particularly picking up
> > crash bugs). Does someone have a copy or link I can get this from?
>
> http://www.oangband.com/dl_misc/borgdumb.zip
>
> Nick.

Thanks for this.

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 6:47:53 AM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 11:32:49, Nick McConnell <nckmc...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On 2006-06-10 09:51:56, Andrew Doull wrote:
>
> > As an aside, assuming anyone else is reading this thread, I can't seem to locate
> > the 'dumb borg' that Leon wrote for testing purposes (particularly picking up
> > crash bugs). Does someone have a copy or link I can get this from?
>
> http://www.oangband.com/dl_misc/borgdumb.zip

There is a bug in this, by the way.

The borgdumb.c calls mon_take_hit with the fear variable set to FALSE. It should
actually call it with a dummy variable &fear, which can be set to any value.

You'll get a segfault straight away using this unless you change it, or you've
modified the mon_take_hit code to handle this robustly.

The dumb borg is damn good at picking up crash bugs though... I highly recommend
it for any variant developers not currently using it.

Andrew

Pav Lucistnik

Jun 10, 2006, 7:02:40 AM6/10/06
V Sat, 10 Jun 2006 03:38:39 -0700, pete mack napsal(a):

> The apple console is very primitive, with only 7 color graphics, rather
> than Angband's default 15.

It have 15 colors, same as X version. A_NORMAL and A_BRIGHT flags makes
for two colors on each of the 7 "colors".

That's just how Unix consoles work... it's not Apple deficiency.

--
Pav Lucistnik <p...@oook.cz>

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 8:10:06 AM6/10/06

Andrew Doull wrote:
> [...]

Bug is that text_always is too small for long zone descriptions. (Size
is 240).
Description of Brandywine is ~300 characters.

Twisted

Jun 10, 2006, 9:07:59 AM6/10/06
Andrew Doull wrote:
> The dumb borg is damn good at picking up crash bugs though... I highly recommend
> it for any variant developers not currently using it.

What does it do? Just stumble around doing stuff at random with "cheat
death" on to ensure it gets to do so for long enough to make something
interesting happen? Or try to travel the game and kill things by brute
force search with "cheat death", likewise?

Twisted

Jun 10, 2006, 9:09:44 AM6/10/06
pete mack wrote:
> Bug is that text_always is too small for long zone descriptions. (Size
> is 240).
> Description of Brandywine is ~300 characters.

Let me guess: it was an automatic char[] array?

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 10:11:54 AM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 14:10:06, "pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew Doull wrote:

> Bug is that text_always is too small for long zone descriptions. (Size
> is 240).
> Description of Brandywine is ~300 characters.

Thanks for this. Wasn't causing problems on Windows... I'll fix...

Andrew

Twisted

Jun 10, 2006, 10:53:41 AM6/10/06
Andrew Doull wrote:
> > Bug is that text_always is too small for long zone descriptions. (Size
> > is 240).
> > Description of Brandywine is ~300 characters.
>
> Thanks for this. Wasn't causing problems on Windows... I'll fix...

That kind of thing depends on the compiler, how it lays out the stack
frames and things like that. As a rule, Windows compilers leave lots of
space around arrays and stuff so that sloppy code can spill over into
it and not crash. If they didn't, most Windows apps wouldn't run
without crashing for nearly as long as they do. Another reason Windows
sucks. :)

Twisted

Jun 10, 2006, 10:55:24 AM6/10/06
Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> It have 15 colors, same as X version. A_NORMAL and A_BRIGHT flags makes
> for two colors on each of the 7 "colors".
>
> That's just how Unix consoles work... it's not Apple deficiency.

Implementing A_BRIGHT as bold rather than as actually brighter is.
Otherwise, "light dark" would be indistinguishable from "black" on all
the other unix console ports, not just the MacOS one. If it's just the
MacOS one, then ipso facto it's Apple's fault.

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 11:46:44 AM6/10/06

Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> V Sat, 10 Jun 2006 03:38:39 -0700, pete mack napsal(a):
>
> > The apple console is very primitive, with only 7 color graphics, rather
> > than Angband's default 15.
>
> It have 15 colors, same as X version. A_NORMAL and A_BRIGHT flags makes
> for two colors on each of the 7 "colors".
>
> That's just how Unix consoles work... it's not Apple deficiency.

No, it's an apple deficiency, or the gcu code would never work at all.
Unix colors have 7 names and 15 colors. Apple implements the A_BRIGHT
colors in a really crappy way, even though it would be perfectly easy
for them to show all 15 colors correctly. Normal gcu implementation
must have distinct tints for BRIGHT and NORMAL, or Light Dark will
render as black on black.

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 12:13:54 PM6/10/06

pete mack wrote:
> Andrew Doull wrote:
> > The source is available at
> > http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-src.zip
>
> More bugs:

And one more: I just saw a 'Flask of Light' in the black market, and
when I looked it up out of curiousity, I found it's not implemented in
object2.c. (Other Flasks are present.)

darkDrone

Jun 10, 2006, 1:40:39 PM6/10/06
hey Andrew,

like the "CURSED" that shows up when im "unlucky".

BUG: still "(nothing) in your pack has charged"..... i dont see
anything chargeable in my pack anymore ...

BUG: "Burning arrows" from 0.61 Beta 2 got converted to (Oil-Coated) in
inventory.
the same thing happened when going from 0.60 to 0.61 too.

SUGGESTION : put something about what various kinds of Runes do ...
when applied to weapons - in the help ...

SUGGESTION : enable Oil-Coated Arrows to be Ctrl-S -> Set Alight ??
this is just a wishlist thing :)

will report on progress :)

Andrew Doull wrote:
> [...]

> should now take effect against monsters (Reported by Bandobras).
>
> - Fix item boost code so that to-hit, to-dam, to-ac bonuses only appear on
> appropriate
> items (Reported by Bandobras and ekolis).
>
> - Services no longer say they can be enchanted when examined (Reported by
> Mikon).
>
> - Fixed bug where a fountain would contain amulets of ESP as opposed to a
> potion
> (Reported by Mikon).
>
> - Fix bugs in new lite charge code when wielding and taking off lite sources
> (Reported
> by will_asher and others).
>
> - Fixed bug preventing Sauron from appearing in Orodruin (Reported by Ewan
> McNay).
>
> - Fixed bug causes quest location items to occasionally appear in resupply

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 2:20:41 PM6/10/06
pete mack wrote:
> pete mack wrote:
> > Andrew Doull wrote:
> > > The source is available at
> > > http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-src.zip
> >
> > More bugs:

* Can't refuel torches.
* Rat corpse fell into granite wall (save file available.)
Feature message is:
'A ... corpse.'
'It is granite wall.'
* Are wells supposed to bypass the 'dungeon guardian'? (I never killed
'Dunlending Agent' when I found the crash bug.)
* What on earth is this:
k) a Hand Crossbow of Charisma (x2) (-11,-6) (+13) {cursed} ???
It will certainly be useful in town, once I get the curse off!
* Hobbit reveller has "nothing known about his attacks", when it's
pretty clear his only attack is
B:SING

That's all for now.

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 2:47:41 PM6/10/06

pete mack wrote:
> > > More bugs:
> > * Flask of light action undefined

> * Can't refuel torches.
> * Rat corpse fell into granite wall (save file available.)
> Feature message is:
> 'A ... corpse.'
> 'It is granite wall.'
> * Are wells supposed to bypass the 'dungeon guardian'? (I never killed
> 'Dunlending Agent' when I found the crash bug.)
> * What on earth is this:
> k) a Hand Crossbow of Charisma (x2) (-11,-6) (+13) {cursed} ???
> It will certainly be useful in town, once I get the curse off!
> * Hobbit reveller has "nothing known about his attacks", when it's
> pretty clear his only attack is
> B:SING
>
> That's all for now.

I lied.
* I sold 'a shovel worth 456 gold pieces' to the general store for 7
gold. It showed up as 'a shovel (+5, +3) (+1), but the price was 14
gold. I bought it back, and it reverted to 'a shovel worth 456 gold.'

darkDrone

Jun 10, 2006, 2:57:52 PM6/10/06
hi,

BUG: first time i ran out of fuel on the lantern , i tried to refuel
from the 17 oil flasks i have in the magical bag.
message : "YOu have no sources of oil"

by the way is there any specific COMMAND for using items in the magic
bag? the Help files / Change.TXT doesnt say ...

also after "E"xamining the bag .... i went to Slow(-1) ?

thanks

Andrew Doull wrote:

> Hi,
>

> The windows executeable is available at
> http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-061-beta3-win.zip

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 3:59:46 PM6/10/06
pete mack wrote:
> > > * Flask of light action undefined
NOT A BUG.
I didn't understand how things worked at the time. This model for
object use and spell casting is MUCH better than V--it's the way things
should have been done in the first place. (Table-driven is better than
code any day.)

Also: throwing a flask of oil in Hobbiton is an interesting
experiment...

> > * Can't refuel torches.
> > * Rat corpse fell into granite wall (save file available.)
> > Feature message is:
> > 'A ... corpse.'
> > 'It is granite wall.'
> > * Are wells supposed to bypass the 'dungeon guardian'? (I never killed
> > 'Dunlending Agent' when I found the crash bug.)
> > * What on earth is this:
> > k) a Hand Crossbow of Charisma (x2) (-11,-6) (+13) {cursed} ???
> > It will certainly be useful in town, once I get the curse off!
> > * Hobbit reveller has "nothing known about his attacks", when it's
> > pretty clear his only attack is
> > B:SING
> >

> * Selling 'things worth $$$' doesn't work very well.

* Stuff dropped in front of a store behaves strangely if it falls in
the doorway.
* ALL CAps selection characters for wiz_create_item_type() [wizard2.c]
are misspelled.

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 5:41:07 PM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 19:40:39, "darkDrone" <famil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hey Andrew,
>
> like the "CURSED" that shows up when im "unlucky".
>
> BUG: still "(nothing) in your pack has charged"..... i dont see
> anything chargeable in my pack anymore ...

Hmm...

> BUG: "Burning arrows" from 0.61 Beta 2 got converted to (Oil-Coated) in
> inventory.
> the same thing happened when going from 0.60 to 0.61 too.

This is deliberate. Burning arrows have been upgraded to oil-coated - they have
the same effect as the old burning arrows.

> SUGGESTION : put something about what various kinds of Runes do ...
> when applied to weapons - in the help ...

I've put some broad hints already. You can also use a scroll of Rune Magic or
play as a Shaman to learn what runes make up each object... I should probably
put in a

> SUGGESTION : enable Oil-Coated Arrows to be Ctrl-S -> Set Alight ??
> this is just a wishlist thing :)

They should burn when you fire them anyway.

Regards

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 6:16:50 PM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 20:57:52, "darkDrone" <famil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> BUG: first time i ran out of fuel on the lantern , i tried to refuel
> from the 17 oil flasks i have in the magical bag.
> message : "YOu have no sources of oil"

Thanks, I overlooked this one.

> by the way is there any specific COMMAND for using items in the magic
> bag? the Help files / Change.TXT doesnt say ...

No there isn't. You just use an item as normal, and if it is in a bag, you will
be able to pick the bag, and then choose which item to use from it. I have to
specify that a bag can be used in the command invocation, as its not always
valid, which is what I have to fix for the refuelling command.

You can cancel to examine the whole bag for the Examine command...

> also after "E"xamining the bag .... i went to Slow(-1) ?

Odd. I'll follow up...

Regards,

Andrew Doull

Jun 10, 2006, 6:07:34 PM6/10/06
On 2006-06-10 21:59:46, "pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> pete mack wrote:
> NOT A BUG.
> I didn't understand how things worked at the time. This model for
> object use and spell casting is MUCH better than V--it's the way things
> should have been done in the first place. (Table-driven is better than
> code any day.)
>
> Also: throwing a flask of oil in Hobbiton is an interesting
> experiment...

Its why I ended up putting a river in the middle...

> > > * Can't refuel torches.

In what sense? The command has changed. You need to select the lite slot by
choosing '/' 'f' first.

> > > * Rat corpse fell into granite wall (save file available.)
> > > Feature message is:
> > > 'A ... corpse.'
> > > 'It is granite wall.'

Weird. I haven't seen that before...

> > > * Are wells supposed to bypass the 'dungeon guardian'? (I never killed
> > > 'Dunlending Agent' when I found the crash bug.)

No, they're not. I'll fix this.

> > > * What on earth is this:
> > > k) a Hand Crossbow of Charisma (x2) (-11,-6) (+13) {cursed} ???
> > > It will certainly be useful in town, once I get the curse off!

Its the new item power balancing code gone slightly awry...

> > > * Hobbit reveller has "nothing known about his attacks", when it's
> > > pretty clear his only attack is
> > > B:SING

I'll fix this.

> > * Selling 'things worth $$$' doesn't work very well.
>
> * Stuff dropped in front of a store behaves strangely if it falls in
> the doorway.
> * ALL CAps selection characters for wiz_create_item_type() [wizard2.c]
> are misspelled.

Thanks for the feedback. In general, rather than spamming the news group with
bug reports, could you report them on the form at
http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?group_id=331?

pete mack

Jun 10, 2006, 6:37:57 PM6/10/06

Andrew Doull wrote:

> > * Can't refuel torches.
> In what sense? The command has changed. You need to select the lite slot by
> choosing '/' 'f' first.

Whoops. Don't know how I missed it.

> > > * Selling 'things worth $$$' doesn't work very well.
> >
> > * Stuff dropped in front of a store behaves strangely if it falls in
> > the doorway.
> > * ALL CAps selection characters for wiz_create_item_type() [wizard2.c]
> > are misspelled.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. In general, rather than spamming the news group with
> bug reports, could you report them on the form at
> http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?group_id=331?

OK, I have some more for there.

Twisted

Jun 11, 2006, 8:12:57 AM6/11/06
pete mack wrote:
> k) a Hand Crossbow of Charisma (x2) (-11,-6) (+13) {cursed} ???
> It will certainly be useful in town, once I get the curse off!

Nevermind that -- you can probably enchant this up until it's useful in
the dungeon too. Though only for early levels, with a x2 multiplier.

Twisted

Jun 11, 2006, 8:50:19 AM6/11/06
Andrew Doull wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. In general, rather than spamming the news group with
> bug reports, could you report them on the form at
> http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?group_id=331?

I've noticed that more and more places that discuss software on usenet
are pushing users none-too-gently toward Web based forums for
support/bug reporting, where they are forced to divulge personal
information, such as an email address, if they are to post, and to rely
on a single server that might go down rather more easily than a
distributed system like Usenet. Why is this? At first it was mainly p2p
apps, but now it's evidently spreading to *bands...

pete mack

Jun 11, 2006, 3:19:33 PM6/11/06

Because it greatly reduces th amount of nonproductive work you have to
do if
(1) your users can check for duplicates before submitting
(2) your users maintain the list of bugs themselves, rather than you
having to be vigilant in watching some high bandwidth newsgroup
(3) some program maintained by somebody else takes care of process
management in a way that is also visible to your users. (See 1 above.)

You can, of course, sign up with an anonymous email account like the
one you use on the newsgroup.

Twisted

Jun 11, 2006, 11:17:52 PM6/11/06
pete mack wrote:

> Because it greatly reduces th amount of nonproductive work you have to
> do if
> (1) your users can check for duplicates before submitting
> (2) your users maintain the list of bugs themselves, rather than you
> having to be vigilant in watching some high bandwidth newsgroup
> (3) some program maintained by somebody else takes care of process
> management in a way that is also visible to your users. (See 1 above.)

I don't notice any benefits (value added) to the people *reporting* the
bugs. Selfish, selfish, selfish. A good developer takes their bug
reports wherever they can find them and isn't choosy.

Anyway, you can always ask usenetters to check for duplicates (with
google, which is probably a far better search engine than any given
crufty-web-forum search) and to mark bug reports to high traffic groups
with [BUG] or similar so they can be sifted out quickly. Or even create
a specific newsgroup just for bugs, which is exactly the same as
creating a Web forum just for bugs, except that it doesn't fucking
suck, can be unmoderated, can accept anonymous/nearly-anonymous
submissions, people can use a real fucking newsreader, people can munge
their email, people can avoid spam without extra hoop-jumping, people
aren't depending on some server in West Limpdick Canyon, MO to be up
whenever they happen to stumble upon a bug (in addition to their ISP's
services, which would need to be up regardless), and last but not least
people can completely isolate their posting from any other identity or
means of contact such as email, which can help in avoiding spam or
other complications. Oh, and did I mention they can better avoid spam
without extra hoop jumping?

P.S. that also saves them the bother of memorizing one more
login/password combo for yet another infrequently visited Web site
where they are just about guaranteed to forget it. Also, the more hoops
users have to jump through just to get their bug report noticed by a
developer, the fewer will bother, and the harder your job becomes.

P.P.S. did I mention that it's easier to avoid becoming a spam target
on usenet, where people have had years of practise at it, than signing
up at yet another web site that requires registration and has a
questionable privacy policy?

Andrew Sidwell

Jun 12, 2006, 7:42:09 AM6/12/06
On 2006-06-12 05:17:52, "Twisted" <twist...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>a

> I don't notice any benefits (value added) to the people *reporting* the
> bugs. Selfish, selfish, selfish. A good developer takes their bug
> reports wherever they can find them and isn't choosy.

I think developers are entitled to be selfish when it comes to their own time --
after all, no-one's paid job is maintaining their variant.

> Anyway, you can always ask usenetters to check for duplicates (with
> google, which is probably a far better search engine than any given
> crufty-web-forum search) and to mark bug reports to high traffic groups
> with [BUG] or similar so they can be sifted out quickly. Or even create
> a specific newsgroup just for bugs, which is exactly the same as
> creating a Web forum just for bugs, except that it doesn't fucking
> suck, can be unmoderated, can accept anonymous/nearly-anonymous
> submissions, people can use a real fucking newsreader, people can munge
> their email, people can avoid spam without extra hoop-jumping, people
> aren't depending on some server in West Limpdick Canyon, MO to be up
> whenever they happen to stumble upon a bug (in addition to their ISP's
> services, which would need to be up regardless), and last but not least
> people can completely isolate their posting from any other identity or
> means of contact such as email, which can help in avoiding spam or
> other complications. Oh, and did I mention they can better avoid spam
> without extra hoop jumping?

You have some good reasons there, but most people just aren't as anal as you are
about such things, I'm afraid. Most people will happily use bug reporting tools
online to report bugs if it gets them a more playable variant. For the small
number who won't, developers won't mind putting the few moments required to
copy'n'paste from Usenet.

Andrew Sidwell

PBP

Jun 12, 2006, 10:10:48 AM6/12/06

Andrew Doull wrote:

> This should be the final version before release of 0.6.1.

May I, then, please suggest checking it for one more possible bug? I've
just downloaded the exacutable and autorolled my first character (Dwarf
Priest Heftedmaster). Only STR, WIS and CHA were set for the
autoroller, CHA for its max value. Due to length of the autoroll I have
stopped it with an Enter key, and got the following set of stats:
STR:12, INT:11, WIS:18/15, DEX:11, CON:18/2780, CHR:12. Please note the
somehow interesting value of the CON score.

Twisted

Jun 12, 2006, 2:33:34 PM6/12/06
Andrew Sidwell wrote:
> You have some good reasons there, but most people just aren't as anal as you are
> about such things, I'm afraid. Most people will happily use bug reporting tools
> online to report bugs if it gets them a more playable variant. For the small
> number who won't, developers won't mind putting the few moments required to
> copy'n'paste from Usenet.

Most people won't happily use them for long. The rapid proliferation of
sites that want you to register and then login to do stuff is going to
irk everyone given enough time. So is the unmanageable explosion in
logins and passwords to memorize, in how many places want them to risk
exposing their email address, and so forth. More generally, anything
that involves jumping through gratuitous hoops turns people off. They
just want to type their bug report in to someplace and hit "submit" --
not type their name, address, sexual habits, zip code (which depending
on geography they may not even *have*), email (which might get spammed
as a result), a username (which they will no doubt have to try again
three or four times before it doesn't complain it's already in use), a
password (which they will forget in a week), and who knows what else.

Now if no registration is required that's fine; if you can just go to
the site and a) search existing bug reports and b) input a new one into
a single big text box and hit "submit" without any logging in,
registering, or any other gratuitous extra steps that have nothing
whatsoever to do with actually reporting a bug, then I don't see any
reason to complain. But I have yet to see any web based bug-submission
system that worked that simply without requiring establishing some kind
of login and divulging information that's none of the developer's
beeswax such as an email address, so forgive me if I'm a touch
skeptical.

Twisted

Jun 12, 2006, 2:36:23 PM6/12/06
PBP wrote:
> May I, then, please suggest checking it for one more possible bug? I've
> just downloaded the exacutable and autorolled my first character (Dwarf
> Priest Heftedmaster). Only STR, WIS and CHA were set for the
> autoroller, CHA for its max value. Due to length of the autoroll I have
> stopped it with an Enter key, and got the following set of stats:
> STR:12, INT:11, WIS:18/15, DEX:11, CON:18/2780, CHR:12. Please note the
> somehow interesting value of the CON score.

You lucky bastard. 256 extra points beyond 18/220. You won't ever have
to worry about getting more con or about con draining attacks, even
from time hounds.

Billy Bissette

Jun 14, 2006, 1:47:55 PM6/14/06
"Twisted" <twist...@gmail.com> wrote in

> if you can just go to the site and a) search existing bug reports

Just to be a cynic, but how many people actually bother with
step A? Mainly speaking from experiences on web forums, where people
are quit willing to post questions and info without bothering to either
skim the current topics or even read the posts of the thread they
are posting in.

Mind, a presumably low traffic site like a web forum for bugs in
an Angband variant might not have such issues...

Oh, I want to second that the sheer proliferation of sites that
require registration began getting on my nerves years ago. They
come in varying degrees of frustration (free simple registration,
free detailed registration, registration with a waiting period
before you can actually post, registration before you can even
read what is already posted, and other variations upon a theme.)
But all pretty much make me re-evaluate whether it is worth my time
to even bother, and increasingly I find the answer is "no."

Twisted

Jun 15, 2006, 4:50:49 PM6/15/06
Billy Bissette wrote:
> Just to be a cynic, but how many people actually bother with
> step A?

About three, or 1/2,000,000,000 of the planet's population. (World
Census Bureau, 2005)

> Mainly speaking from experiences on web forums, where people
> are quit willing to post questions and info without bothering to either
> skim the current topics or even read the posts of the thread they
> are posting in.
>
> Mind, a presumably low traffic site like a web forum for bugs in
> an Angband variant might not have such issues...

Low traffic sites don't put people off reading everything before
posting in quite the way high traffic sites do. The latter need a
decent search. If you use a usenet group, a decent search comes for
free, via Google Groups. (It's about the only thing decent about Google
Groups, mind you. Though they actually improved the posting UI slightly
a bit ago. Must've been a mistake made by whoever was charged with
making it worse that particular week...)

> Oh, I want to second that the sheer proliferation of sites that
> require registration began getting on my nerves years ago. They
> come in varying degrees of frustration (free simple registration,
> free detailed registration, registration with a waiting period
> before you can actually post, registration before you can even
> read what is already posted, and other variations upon a theme.)
> But all pretty much make me re-evaluate whether it is worth my time
> to even bother, and increasingly I find the answer is "no."

Of course, since you don't know what they and their "affiliates" will
do with your email address, or rather you fear you know all to well,
you want to get a throwaway hotmail if you do register, and guess what?
Nowadays, you have to answer more personal questions in greater detail
to get a hotmail account as you do to get a $40,000 homeowners'
mortgage, probably because the bank can actually do something about it
if you lie and Microsoft can't. (At least if you're not dumb enough to
be running Windows "All Your Privacy Are Belong To MS" Vista...)

That was two years ago. If they've ratcheted it up another notch, and
that's past due by now, you'll need to give MS answers to a more
detailed medical questionnaire than you do when applying for medical
insurance, too.