{V} YASD - clvl 42 Dun Ranger at 3000'

1 view

andrew...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2005, 1:42:42 PM9/12/05
Ouch. Just ouch.

Opened a door and got pummelled by a skull druj. Never knew what hit
me (literally). This was pretty close to an instadeath...I'd been
detecting, but either they don't show up or I missed one as I was
going. Opened that door and that was it.

69 uniques scratched off the list...Bard, Calris, two +10 Speed
rings...sniff...

I'd just left Saruman, who mana bolt'd me to 100 HPs in one round. I
thought "OK, so I need to avoid the big guys for a while."

My last death was a 40-something Mage, due to Plasma Hounds. I guess
the lesson here is that Sound resistance really is vital. I had
resistances to everything else - but the SDs poked through my one hole.

Oh well...I'm back on the horse with another Dunadan Ranger. I really
think they're the way to go. I just need to stop getting them
killed...

[Angband 3.0.6 Character Dump]

Name Mason Self RB CB EB
Best
Sex Male Age 63 STR! 18/100 +1 +2 +11
18/240
Race Dunadan Height 79 INT! 18/100 +2 +2 +0
18/140
Class Ranger Weight 170 WIS! 18/100 +2 +0 +0
18/120
Title Ranger Status 17 DEX! 18/100 +2 +1 +17
18/300
HP -40/850 Maximize Y CON! 18/100 +3 +1 +11
18/250
SP 241/241 Preserve Y CHR! 18/100 +2 +1 +0
18/130

Level 42 Armor [30,+110] Saving Throw
Heroic
Cur Exp 3524255 Fight (+15,+5) Stealth
Superb
Max Exp 3524255 Melee (+23,+17) Fighting
Legendary
Adv Exp 3780000 Shoot (+26,+14) Shooting
Legendary
MaxDepth 3000 ft Blows 5/turn Disarming
Superb
Gold 1204438 Shots 3/turn Magic Device
Heroic
Burden 295.1 lbs Perception Very
Good
Speed +23 Infra 20 ft Searching Very
Good

You are one of several children of a Serf. You are a credit to the
family. You have brown eyes, straight red hair, and a very fair
complexion.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:......+*.+... Blind:........+....
Elec:++........... Confu:...........+.
Fire:.+........... Sound:.............
Cold:.+.......+... Shard:......+......
Pois:....+...+.... Nexus:....+....+...
Fear:........+.... Nethr:...........+.
Lite:+............ Chaos:...........+.
Dark:+........+... Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:....+..+.....
Feath:............. Sear.:....+........
PLite:+............ Infra:....+........
Regen:.+........... Tunn.:.............
Telep:............. Speed:+.+++.+......
Invis:+....+.+..... Blows:.............
FrAct:+......+..++. Shots:.............
HLife:............. Might:.+...........

[Last Messages]

> You resist the effects!
> You feel something focusing on your mind.
> You resist the effects!
> It drains power from your muscles!
> You are unaffected!
> It points at you, screaming the word DIE!
> You resist the effects!
> It casts a nether bolt.
> *** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***
> You feel something focusing on your mind.
> You resist the effects!
> You feel something focusing on your mind.
> You resist the effects!
> It casts a plasma bolt.
> You die.

[Character Equipment]

a) The Long Sword 'Anguirel' (2d5) (+8,+12) (+2)
It increases your strength and constitution by 2. It increases your

speed by 2. It slays demons and all evil creatures. It is branded
with poison. It provides resistance to lightning, light, and dark.
It
lights the dungeon around you. It grants you immunity to paralysis
and
the ability to see invisible things, but it also aggravates
creatures
around you. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
b) The Short Bow of Amrod (x2) (+11,+14) (+2)
It increases your strength and constitution by 2. It increases your

shooting power by 2. It provides resistance to lightning, fire, and

cold. It speeds your regeneration. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
c) a Fluorite Ring of Speed (+10)
It increases your speed by 10.
d) a Fluorite Ring of Speed (+10)
It increases your speed by 10.
e) a Tortoise Shell Amulet of Trickery (+2)
It increases your dexterity by 2. It increases your stealth,
searching,
infravision, and speed by 2. It provides resistance to poison and
nexus. It sustains your dexterity.
f) The Star of Elendil
It lights the dungeon around you. It grants you the ability to see
invisible things. It activates for magic mapping every 50+d50
turns.
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
g) The Leather Scale Mail 'Thalkettoth' (-1) [11,+25] (+3)
It increases your dexterity by 3. It increases your speed by 3. It
provides resistance to acid and shards. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
h) The Shadow Cloak of Tuor [6,+12] (+4)
It increases your dexterity by 4. It increases your stealth by 4.
It
provides immunity to acid. It grants you immunity to paralysis and
the
ability to see invisible things. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.

i) The Large Leather Shield of the Haradrim [4,+13] (+2)
It increases your strength and constitution by 2. It provides
resistance to poison, fear, and blindness. It sustains your
strength
and constitution. It aggravates creatures around you. It activates
for berserk rage (50+d50 turns) every 50 turns. It cannot be harmed
by
the elements.
j) The Steel Helm of Hammerhand [6,+20] (+3)
It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 3. It
provides resistance to acid, cold, dark, and nexus. It sustains
your
strength, dexterity, and constitution. It aggravates creatures
around
you. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
k) The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cambeleg' (+6,+5) [1,+13] (+2)
It increases your strength and constitution by 2. It grants you
immunity to paralysis. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
l) The Pair of Soft Leather Boots 'Dal-i-thalion' [2,+12] (+5)
It increases your dexterity by 5. It provides resistance to
confusion,
nether, and chaos. It sustains your constitution. It grants you
immunity to paralysis. It activates for remove fear and cure poison
every 5 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

[Character Inventory]

a) 13 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1@b1!d!d!t!t!v!v}
b) 5 Books of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {@m2@b2!d!d!t!t!v!v}
c) 12 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions]
{@m3@b3!d!d!t!t!v!v, }
d) 8 Books of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations]
{@m4@b4!d!d!t!t!v!v, 40% o}
e) 14 Books of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices]
{@m5@b5!d!d!t!t!v!v}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
f) 6 Books of Magic Spells [Raal's Tome of Destruction]
{@m6@b6!d!d!t!t!v!v}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
g) 4 Books of Magic Spells [Mordenkainen's Escapes]
{@m7@b7!d!d!t!t!v!v}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
h) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Tenser's Transformations]
{@m8@b8!d!d!t!t!v!v}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
i) a Book of Magic Spells [Kelek's Grimoire of Power]
{@m9@b9!d!d!t!t!v!v}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
j) a Red Mushroom of Restoring
k) 3 Pink Potions of Speed
l) 18 Grey Speckled Potions of Heroism
m) 14 Blue Potions of Cure Critical Wounds {10% off}
n) a Cloudy Potion of Healing
o) 17 Metallic Purple Potions of Restore Life Levels {50% off}
p) 4 Clotted Red Potions of Enlightenment {10% off}
q) a Magnesium Rod of Healing {@z2!d!d!t!t!v!v}
It cannot be harmed by electricity.
r) an Ivory Rod of Speed {@z1!d!d!t!t!v!v}
It cannot be harmed by electricity.
s) a Beaked Axe (2d6) (+2,+1)
t) 9 Arrows of Slay Animal (1d4) (+14,+12)
It slays animals.
u) 27 Arrows of Flame (1d4) (+8,+10)
It is branded with fire. It cannot be harmed by fire.
v) 24 Mithril Arrows of Venom (3d4) (+7,+7)
It is branded with poison. It cannot be harmed by acid or fire.

[Home Inventory]

a) 6 Red Mushrooms of Restoring
b) 28 Pink Potions of Speed {40% off}
c) 31 Metallic Red Potions of Restore Mana {10% off}
d) 11 Scrolls titled "erener sanwerg" of *Identify* {25% off}
e) 14 Scrolls titled "bytyp zunun" of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
f) 4 Scrolls titled "tue apo nisgre" of Enchant Weapon To-Dam
g) The Ring of Barahir (+1)
It increases all your stats by 1. It increases your stealth by 1.
It
provides resistance to poison and dark. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
h) The Amulet of Carlammas (+2)
It increases your constitution by 2. It provides resistance to
fire.
It activates for protection from evil every 225+d225 turns. It
cannot
be harmed by the elements.
i) The Chain Mail of Arvedui (-2) [14,+15] (+2)
It increases your strength and charisma by 2. It provides
resistance
to acid, lightning, fire, cold, shards, and nexus. It cannot be
harmed
by the elements.
j) The Metal Brigandine Armour of the Rohirrim [19,+15] (+2)
It increases your strength and dexterity by 2. It provides
resistance
to acid, lightning, fire, cold, fear, confusion, and sound. It
cannot
be harmed by the elements.
k) Ribbed Plate Armour (Dwarven) (-3) [28,+33] (+2)
It increases your strength and constitution by 2. It increases your

infravision by 2. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot
be
harmed by acid or fire.
l) The Cloak of Thorongil [1,+10]
It provides resistance to acid and fear. It grants you immunity to
paralysis and the ability to see invisible things. It cannot be
harmed
by the elements.
m) The Large Leather Shield of Celegorm [4,+20]
It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, light, and
dark.
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
n) The Large Metal Shield of Anarion [5,+20]
It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, and cold. It
sustains
all your stats. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
o) a Golden Crown of Night and Day [0,+0]
It provides resistance to light, dark, and blindness. It lights the
dungeon around you. It grants you the ability to see invisible
things.
It cannot be harmed by acid.
p) The Hard Leather Cap of Thranduil [2,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It provides
resistance
to blindness. It grants you the power of telepathy. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.
q) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It provides resistance to blindness and confusion.
It
grants you the ability to see invisible things. It activates for
detection every 55+d55 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

r) The Set of Cesti of Fingolfin (+10,+10) [5,+20] (+4)
It increases your dexterity by 4. It provides resistance to acid.
It
grants you immunity to paralysis. It activates for a magical arrow
(150) every 30+d30 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
s) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots of Speed [3,+7] (+9)
It increases your speed by 9.
t) The Long Sword 'Anduril' (3d5) (+10,+15) [+10] (+4)
It increases your strength and dexterity by 4. It slays orcs,
trolls,
undead, and all evil creatures. It is branded with fire. It
provides
resistance to fire, fear, and disenchantment. It sustains your
strength and dexterity. It is blessed by the gods. It grants you
immunity to paralysis and the ability to see invisible things. It
activates for fire ball (72) every 40 turns. It cannot be harmed by
the elements.
u) The Scimitar 'Haradekket' (2d5) (+9,+11) (+2)
It increases your dexterity by 2. It increases your attack speed by
2.
It slays animals, undead, and all evil creatures. It grants you the
ability to see invisible things. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.

v) The Bastard Sword 'Calris' (5d4) (-20,+20) (+5)
It increases your constitution by 5. It slays trolls, demons, and
all
evil creatures, and is especially deadly against dragons. It
provides
resistance to disenchantment. It aggravates creatures around you.
It
cannot be harmed by the elements.
w) a Short Bow of Extra Shots (x2) (+15,+8) (+1)
It increases your shooting speed by 1.
x) The Long Bow of Bard (x3) (+17,+19) (+2)
It increases your dexterity by 2. It increases your speed and
shooting
power by 2. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be
harmed
by the elements.

[Options]

Adult: Allow purchase of stats using points : yes (adult_point_based)
Adult: Allow specification of minimal stats : no (adult_auto_roller)
Adult: Maximize effect of race/class bonuses : yes (adult_maximize)
Adult: Preserve artifacts when leaving level : yes (adult_preserve)
Adult: Restrict the use of stairs/recall : no (adult_ironman)
Adult: Restrict the use of stores/home : no (adult_no_stores)
Adult: Restrict creation of artifacts : no (adult_no_artifacts)
Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta): no
(adult_rand_artifacts)
Adult: Don't stack objects on the floor : no (adult_no_stacking)
Score: Peek into object creation : yes (score_peek)
Score: Peek into monster creation : yes (score_hear)
Score: Peek into dungeon creation : yes (score_room)
Score: Peek into something else : yes (score_xtra)
Score: Know complete monster info : yes (score_know)
Score: Allow player to avoid death : no (score_live)

Cliff Stamp

Sep 12, 2005, 2:26:23 PM9/12/05
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 andrew...@gmail.com wrote:

[skull druj]

>> You resist the effects!
>> You feel something focusing on your mind.
>> You resist the effects!
>> It drains power from your muscles!
>> You are unaffected!
>> It points at you, screaming the word DIE!
>> You resist the effects!
>> It casts a nether bolt.
>> *** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***
>> You feel something focusing on your mind.
>> You resist the effects!
>> You feel something focusing on your mind.
>> You resist the effects!
>> It casts a plasma bolt.
>> You die.

How many moves was that? It looks like you walked into a Graveyard. You are
also polluted by aggravation, that makes surviving *much* harder.

I would have been wearing vastly different equipment, at a quick glance :

> n) The Large Metal Shield of Anarion [5,+20]

> p) The Hard Leather Cap of Thranduil [2,+10] (+2)

> s) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots of Speed [3,+7] (+9)

> u) The Scimitar 'Haradekket' (2d5) (+9,+11) (+2)

> x) The Long Bow of Bard (x3) (+17,+19) (+2)

With swap :

--
Cliff Stamp
sst...@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus

survi...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2005, 9:04:16 PM9/12/05
It was one move :-(

I forget why I was wearing what I was wearing...mostly because I wanted
to cover different resistances.

- I think the reason I was carrying Haradrim was for rPois.

- I was experimenting with Aguirrel vs. Haradekket...I got 7 whacks
with the latter, but the former provided rLight and rDark, and slew
evil.

- With three shots a turn, the Bard vs. Amrod didn't seem like much of
a difference and the latter gave me more attribute plusses.

- Dal-i-thalion was my only rConf & rNeth.

Oh well. Now I'm wielding a +2/+2 dagger with a level 6 Ranger :-(

I realize that balacing inventory is one of the challenging fun parts
of the game, but sometimes finding the optimization is tough...I think
in the future I may have to use a spreadsheet just to keep all the
possible resistances and other pros/cons straight ;)

Cliff Stamp

Sep 12, 2005, 9:44:52 PM9/12/05
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 survi...@gmail.com wrote:

> It was one move :-(

That seems crazy to me considering your speed was high. Are those "you feel
someone focusing on your mind" also actions by the monster? I have taken out
druj's before by coming into LOS with them with them having to get the first
move and never came close to that level of devestation.

> - I think the reason I was carrying Haradrim was for rPois.

Most of the equipment has its benefits, but generally aggravate is rarely
the best choice unless you like a challenge or you are a half troll paladin
with no stealth equipment in which case you basically aggravate anyway.

A ranger with one of the decent stealth classes can late game walk around
monsters without waking them up. It makes a massive difference in game play.

Timo Pietilä

Sep 13, 2005, 1:57:18 AM9/13/05
survi...@gmail.com wrote:
> It was one move :-(

Were you slowed or were there more than one?

> - I was experimenting with Aguirrel vs. Haradekket...I got 7 whacks
> with the latter, but the former provided rLight and rDark, and slew
> evil.

Haradekket slays evil as well.

> - With three shots a turn, the Bard vs. Amrod didn't seem like much of
> a difference and the latter gave me more attribute plusses.

Bard is x5 bow with +19. Amrod x4 bow with +14. It's a big difference.

> - Dal-i-thalion was my only rConf & rNeth.

Speed is _always_ something you just need to have. You did have Rohirrim
in home for rConf. rNether isn't something you need. It's a luxury
resist. Sound is much more important than rNether, because it prevents
stunning from all non-melee sources.

Even if you don't change Dal-ithalion to BoS I would _still_ swap
Thalkettoth to Rohirrim to get that rSound.

With BoS you would have been able to use some other ring. Not that you
had any better than those RoS you were wearing.

Timo Pietilä

Timo Pietilä

Sep 13, 2005, 3:22:33 AM9/13/05
andrew...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ouch. Just ouch.
>
> Opened a door and got pummelled by a skull druj. Never knew what hit
> me (literally). This was pretty close to an instadeath...I'd been
> detecting, but either they don't show up or I missed one as I was
> going. Opened that door and that was it.

Drujs show on detection, and they are also visible in ESP.

My bet is that you opened a door to graveyard.

>>You resist the effects!
>>You feel something focusing on your mind.

"something" indicates that you still don't see it after opening that door.

>>You resist the effects!
>>It drains power from your muscles!
>>You are unaffected!
>>It points at you, screaming the word DIE!
>>You resist the effects!
>>It casts a nether bolt.
>>*** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***
>>You feel something focusing on your mind.
>>You resist the effects!
>>You feel something focusing on your mind.
>>You resist the effects!
>>It casts a plasma bolt.
>>You die.

Looks like KO or several drujs/other undead. With your speed it isn't
possible to get that many moves simultaneously unless there were several
or you get somehow paralyzed/slowed.

Timo Pietilä