[V] YACD, Advice for a total newbie?

CAPS LOCK

Dec 4, 2005, 12:13:54 AM12/4/05
It seems like I never make it much farther than around 300'. This time I tried
to dive fast and I'm actually doing rather well... which has gotten me into
unfamiliar territory. I can *easily* take out all the regular monsters I
encounter, but I barely managed to slay Wormtongue. Also, I haven't found a
single artifact yet. I guess my main question is, how deep should I risk going?
and how can I improve my kit, given the limited resources I have?

Character dump follows:
[Angband 3.0.6 Character Dump]

Name Eowang Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 19 STR: 18/16 +0 +5 +0 18/16
Race Human Height 67 INT: 11 +0 -2 +0 11
Class Warrior Weight 155 WIS: 11 +0 -2 +0 11
Title Veteran Status 1 DEX: 14 +0 +2 +0 14
HP 239/239 Maximize N CON: 17 +0 +2 +3 18/20
SP 0/0 Preserve N CHR: 16 +0 -1 +0 16

Level 21 Armor [33,+12] Saving Throw Very Good
Cur Exp 6055 Fight (-2,+2) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 6055 Melee (+3,+6) Fighting Heroic
Adv Exp 6800 Shoot (+0,+4) Shooting Superb
MaxDepth 500 ft Blows 1/turn Disarming Very Good
Gold 7942 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Good
Burden 164.6 lbs Perception Poor
Speed -2 Infra 0 ft Searching Poor

You are one of several children of a Serf. You are the black sheep of
the family. You have brown eyes, straight black hair, and a very dark
complexion.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:....+........ Blind:.............
Elec:............. Confu:.............
Fire:............. Sound:.............
Cold:............. Shard:.............
Pois:............. Nexus:.............
Fear:............. Nethr:.............
Lite:............. Chaos:.............
Dark:............. Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:..+.......... Stea.:...........+.
Feath:............. Sear.:.............
PLite:............. Infra:.............
Regen:.........+... Tunn.:+............
Telep:............. Speed:.............
Invis:............. Blows:.............
FrAct:............. Shots:.............
HLife:............. Might:.............

[Character Equipment]

a) a Pick of Digging (1d3) (+5,+4) (+2)
It increases your tunneling by 2. It is branded with acid.
b) a Light Crossbow (x3) (+2,+4)
c) a Marble Ring of Slow Digestion
It slows your metabolism.
d) an Azurite Ring of Constitution (+3)
It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.
e) a Driftwood Amulet of Resist Acid
It provides resistance to acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.
f) a Brass Lantern (with 6112 turns of light)
It cannot be harmed by fire.
g) Metal Brigandine Armour (-3) [19,0]
h) a Cloak [1,+5]
i) a Large Leather Shield [4,+0]
j) an Iron Helm of Regeneration [5,+4]
It speeds your regeneration.
k) a Set of Gauntlets [2,0]
l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots of Stealth [2,+5] (+2)
It increases your stealth by 2.

[Character Inventory]

a) a Book of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners]
b) 7 Pieces of Elvish Waybread {25% off}
c) 9 Flasks of oil
d) an Oily Yellow Potion of Clumsiness
e) 10 Purple Speckled Potions of Boldness {10% off}
f) a Magenta Potion of Resist Cold
g) a Copper Speckled Potion of Cure Light Wounds
h) 11 Dark Red Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
i) 10 Scrolls titled "aksski bluox" of Phase Door {25% off}
j) a Scroll titled "umaks harok" of Teleportation
k) 9 Scrolls titled "oodrog snik" of Word of Recall
l) 8 Scrolls titled "eshu reab ite" of Identify {10% off}
m) a Scroll titled "dalforg vivmi" of Light
n) 2 Scrolls titled "denood danther" of Magic Mapping
o) a Nickel-Plated Rod of Light
p) a Gold Wand of Stinking Cloud (14 charges)
q) a Cedar Staff of Treasure Location (18 charges)
r) a Golden Staff of Detect Invisible
s) a Cutlass (1d7) {average}
t) a Bastard Sword (3d4) (+7,+3)
u) 14 Bolts (1d5) (+3,+4)

[Home Inventory]

a) 34 Rations of Food
b) 47 Flasks of oil
c) 34 Purple Speckled Potions of Boldness {10% off}
d) 6 Dark Red Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
e) a Scroll titled "bit klisti" of Aggravate Monster
f) 11 Scrolls titled "aksski bluox" of Phase Door {25% off}
g) 18 Scrolls titled "oodrog snik" of Word of Recall
h) 5 Scrolls titled "eshu reab ite" of Identify {10% off}

[Options]

Adult: Allow purchase of stats using points : no (adult_point_based)
Adult: Allow specification of minimal stats : yes (adult_auto_roller)
Adult: Maximize effect of race/class bonuses : no (adult_maximize)
Adult: Preserve artifacts when leaving level : no (adult_preserve)
Adult: Restrict the use of stairs/recall : no (adult_ironman)
Adult: Restrict the use of stores/home : no (adult_no_stores)
Adult: Restrict creation of artifacts : no (adult_no_artifacts)
Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta): no (adult_rand_artifacts)
Adult: Don't stack objects on the floor : no (adult_no_stacking)
Score: Peek into object creation : no (score_peek)
Score: Peek into monster creation : no (score_hear)
Score: Peek into dungeon creation : no (score_room)
Score: Peek into something else : no (score_xtra)
Score: Know complete monster info : no (score_know)
Score: Allow player to avoid death : no (score_live)

--
A(3.0.6) CD "Eowang" H W L:21 DL:500' !A R-- !Sp w:Bastard Sword (3d4) (+7,+3)
A(NH) At/W/M6 H D- c- f+++ PV+ s !d P- M

Ojomax

Dec 4, 2005, 11:29:39 AM12/4/05
On 2005-12-04 06:13:54, CAPS LOCK <clot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems like I never make it much farther than around 300'. This time I tried
> to dive fast and I'm actually doing rather well... which has gotten me into
> unfamiliar territory. I can *easily* take out all the regular monsters I
> encounter, but I barely managed to slay Wormtongue. Also, I haven't found a
> single artifact yet. I guess my main question is, how deep should I risk going?
> and how can I improve my kit, given the limited resources I have?

Sell the Pick of Digging, and buy instead a normal weapon. The bastard sword
you're carrying will do, but if you get more blows with a sabre or a whip then
it'll be better. Then enchant it up to +9,+9 or around. A warrior can tunnel
into any wall fast enough, so it's not too bad losing the pick of digging.

You've got a very good equipment for a 500' character... of course, you've gone
down rather slowly and searched many levels, but to have already gotten a
strength potion, and the RoCon and ego boots and a helm of regeneration... I
think that this char should do fine at 1000' but since u're new to the game
it's better take it easy and go just a few levels deeper. Keep an eye on
paralyzing creatures, such as Homunculi, and don't take risks which monsters
appearing in groups.

Oh and destroy that potion of clumsiness in your inventory ;-)

Ojomax

Polarhound

Dec 4, 2005, 12:10:54 PM12/4/05
Ojomax wrote:

> Oh and destroy that potion of clumsiness in your inventory ;-)

Someone should make it so a successful hit of a monster by one of these
would cause it to drop an item :)

Chris Kern

Dec 4, 2005, 12:57:31 PM12/4/05
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 05:13:54 +0000 (UTC), CAPS LOCK
<clot...@gmail.com> posted the following:

>It seems like I never make it much farther than around 300'. This time I tried
>to dive fast and I'm actually doing rather well... which has gotten me into
>unfamiliar territory. I can *easily* take out all the regular monsters I
>encounter, but I barely managed to slay Wormtongue. Also, I haven't found a
>single artifact yet. I guess my main question is, how deep should I risk going?
>and how can I improve my kit, given the limited resources I have?

Your equipment set is excellent for a character at 500'. If I were
playing your character I would be down around 800-900' right now but I
wouldn't necessarily recommend that; it's a good way to die if you're
new to the game.

Don't expect to find any artifacts aside from the Phial until you get
down past 1000', and more like 1400'-1500' or below.

One thing is that your stats are terrible. Did you use the
auto-roller or point based generation? You should have over 18 in
STR, DEX, and CON. If you had that high you could get multiple blows
per round with a light weapon.

>a) a Pick of Digging (1d3) (+5,+4) (+2)
> It increases your tunneling by 2. It is branded with acid.

Hmm...if you find something better than this replace it, but 1d3+4
with acid brand isn't that bad.

>d) an Azurite Ring of Constitution (+3)
> It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

This is a great find before 500'.

>a) a Book of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners]

Don't bother; you'll barely get any money from selling it.

>Adult: Allow purchase of stats using points : no (adult_point_based)
>Adult: Allow specification of minimal stats : yes (adult_auto_roller)

Specify higher starting stats next time. 18/40 STR and 18/20 DEX is
good, you can get 4 attacks per round with a 5 pound or so weapon.

-Chris

CAPS LOCK

Dec 4, 2005, 10:02:33 PM12/4/05
On 2005-12-04 17:29:39, Ojomax <lahtone...@suomi24.fi> wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Normally, I would not have even reached this level before
dying. ;/

I normally do use the bastard sword, I carry the pick of digging around with me
for those times when I have decided to do some heavy digging. I happened to be
on a level with a series of quartz veins that were extremely rich in treasure
but had few monsters so I had just left the pick wielded. If I can find one,
I'm switching to a high-level ego shovel. Much better solution given the weight
of the pick!

I've already had to deal with some paralyzing monsters. What I've been most
worried about is acid which is why I got the amulet. Should I swap it for free
action?

Tagore Smith

Dec 5, 2005, 12:52:35 AM12/5/05
CAPS LOCK wrote:
> On 2005-12-04 17:29:39, Ojomax <lahtone...@suomi24.fi> wrote:
>
> > On 2005-12-04 06:13:54, CAPS LOCK wrote:
> >
> > > It seems like I never make it much farther than around 300'. This time I tried
> > > to dive fast and I'm actually doing rather well... which has gotten me into
> > > unfamiliar territory. I can *easily* take out all the regular monsters I
> > > encounter, but I barely managed to slay Wormtongue. Also, I haven't found a
> > > single artifact yet. I guess my main question is, how deep should I risk going?
> > > and how can I improve my kit, given the limited resources I have?
> >
> > Sell the Pick of Digging, and buy instead a normal weapon. The bastard sword
> > you're carrying will do, but if you get more blows with a sabre or a whip then
> > it'll be better. Then enchant it up to +9,+9 or around. A warrior can tunnel
> > into any wall fast enough, so it's not too bad losing the pick of digging.
> >
> > You've got a very good equipment for a 500' character... of course, you've gone
> > down rather slowly and searched many levels, but to have already gotten a
> > strength potion, and the RoCon and ego boots and a helm of regeneration... I
> > think that this char should do fine at 1000' but since u're new to the game
> > it's better take it easy and go just a few levels deeper. Keep an eye on
> > paralyzing creatures, such as Homunculi, and don't take risks which monsters
> > appearing in groups.
> >
> > Oh and destroy that potion of clumsiness in your inventory ;-)
> >
> > Ojomax
> >

> Thanks for the advice. Normally, I would not have even reached this level before
> dying. ;/

One thing that would really help with this is starting with a better
character. Playing with these stats is too difficult for a new player,
and will force you into a very conservative style of play that won't
teach you much about the game. The primary thing that warriors do is
deal a lot of damage in melee (and soak a lot up, of course), and the
way to do that is to get a lot of blows per round. If you use the
autoroller and one of the overpowered races (High-Elf and Dunadan) you
can get 4 blows initially, with a light weapon (or you can use the
point system and get 3 and some starting gold). Even a Main Gauche (+9,
+9), which you can make using scrolls from the store, does a lot of
damage per round at shallower depths, with 3 or 4 blows. Right now
you're basically playing a weightlifting mage with a lot of hit points,
but no spells (that is a bit of an exaggeration, but...).

> I normally do use the bastard sword,

Warriors need to use light weapons until their dex and strength are
high enough that they get multiple blows with heavy ones- and they need
enough starting dex and strength to get those blows. You can certainly
make it to stat gain with your stats, but it will be challenging unless
you play like the borg. Also, you would likely do better to play with
maximize on (preserve too).

> I carry the pick of digging around with me
> for those times when I have decided to do some heavy digging. I happened to be
> on a level with a series of quartz veins that were extremely rich in treasure
> but had few monsters so I had just left the pick wielded. If I can find one,
> I'm switching to a high-level ego shovel. Much better solution given the weight
> of the pick!

A better solution would be not to dig for gold (though opinions do vary
on this point). At the depth you're at you should be able to make a lot
more just grabbing items and bringing them back to the store. You're
strong enough to carry back even heavy stuff. One nice ego weapon is
worth a few thousand gold, and even a lot of pretty common staves are
worth 500-800. Your goal should be to get to 1500' as fast as you can
(while surviving, of course). Digging for gold is just a distraction
from this.

> I've already had to deal with some paralyzing monsters. What I've been most
> worried about is acid which is why I got the amulet. Should I swap it for free
> action?

Acid is an annoyance because it destroys things in your inventory and
reduces the pluses on your armor (and resistance doesn't help with
this), but it is the least dangerous of the four base elements (acid,
cold, electricity and fire) because armor reduces the damage you take
from it (as long as the armor isn't already made worthless by acid).
Paralysis is pretty much the end of the game- I don't think I've ever
survived being paralyzed.

Neither acid nor paralysis is a big threat right now, but paralysis
going to be pretty soon. Get free action as early as you can, and be
wary of diving too deep without it- since you probably don't know what
paralyzes and what doesn't yet, you will die if you pass 1000' without
free action.

But don't worry too much about dying. In a way, right now dying a lot
is the best thing you can do- every time you die you'll learn
something. You'll learn more from dying 10 or twenty times in a couple
of hours than you will playing one character glacially, and dying at
1200', having invested hours in getting there. In particular, I
wouldn't worry too much about dying with this character. You have some
nice stuff for your depth, but it's nothing that there isn't plenty of
a bit deeper (well, regeneration items can be a bit hard to find till a
bit later), and you would benefit from a fresh start- your stats aside,
the preserve and maximize settings are going to make the game quite
difficult should you get reasonably deep.

Eddie Grove

Dec 5, 2005, 2:37:37 AM12/5/05
"Tagore Smith" <tag...@tagoresmith.com> writes:

> Warriors need to use light weapons until their dex and strength are
> high enough that they get multiple blows with heavy ones- and they need
> enough starting dex and strength to get those blows. You can certainly

Your advice is right, and yet wrong. Since the character in question
can only get 1 blow with a light weapon, he might as well use the
biggest weapon available.

OTOH, it would be better still to go down weaponless, die, and start a
new character point-based [that's a birth option] with decent stats.
Start a warrior with Str Dex and Con at 16 before race/class modifiers.

Eddie

Wim Benthem

Dec 5, 2005, 2:46:56 AM12/5/05
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:37:37 -0800, Eddie Grove
<eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote:

>"Tagore Smith" <tag...@tagoresmith.com> writes:
>
>> Warriors need to use light weapons until their dex and strength are
>> high enough that they get multiple blows with heavy ones- and they need
>> enough starting dex and strength to get those blows. You can certainly
>
>Your advice is right, and yet wrong. Since the character in question
>can only get 1 blow with a light weapon, he might as well use the
>biggest weapon available.

But he CAN get 2 blows with an up to 5lb weapon. So he should be looking
for a sabre, or maybe a main gauche so he can even keep 2 blows when
his strength is drained back to 18.

--
Wim Benthem

Eddie Grove

Dec 5, 2005, 3:37:34 AM12/5/05
Wim Benthem <wben...@wxs.nl> writes:

I am quite confused. I must have this char mixed up with something
someone else posted recently. The stats aren't good enough, but they
aren't terrible either. My allergy meds are messing with my mind.

Eddie

pete mack

Dec 6, 2005, 1:03:01 AM12/6/05
CAPS LOCK wrote:

> It seems like I never make it much farther than around 300'. This time I tried
> to dive fast and I'm actually doing rather well... which has gotten me into
> unfamiliar territory. I can *easily* take out all the regular monsters I
> encounter, but I barely managed to slay Wormtongue. Also, I haven't found a
> single artifact yet. I guess my main question is, how deep should I risk going?
> and how can I improve my kit, given the limited resources I have?

OK this does it. I've seen this soo many times now.

Here is a little exercise in diving. I recommend it for anyone,
newbie or otherwise, who is scared of diving fast.

Expected time: about 1 hour.

I picked half-orc because he can (barely) get 4 blows, and he levels
extremely fast. His only major problems are bad devices, bad stealth,
and stingy shopkeepers.
(General warning on Half-Orc/Half-Troll. Bad devices+bad stealth
means: be very afraid of Hummerhorns. Close the door. If they infest
the level, teleport away, and recall or use stairs immediately. If you
don't have Teleport, recall immediately. Don't screw around trying to
run away.)

Goal: Fewest turns to 1000', which is first significant breakpoint.
(Perhaps we should make something like this the next competition!)

Here are the rules & guidelines:

1. Set "cost-based character creation", then quit and restart.

2. Set the stats (STR,DEX,CON,CHR) on the attached character, and buy
the same equipment. Keep rerolling until these things (or a dagger
instead of main gauche) are available in the shops. (Normally I
wouldn't bother for some of this stuff, but for an exercise it's worth
while.)

3. You will need to kill some townies, so stair-scum until you have
enough gold. (Long-sword +Berserk doesn't sell for much for Half-Orc.)
Stair scum by going up and down stairs, pick up any LOS gold/objects,
and kill any LOS townies with a drop, including vets and mercs.

This should take 5 minutes or so, a little longer if you have bad luck
with the shops.

[If you don't need any advice in diving, skip to the attached character
now. There are two versions, before and after the first dive to 350',
after killing Bullroarer.]

--------------------

4. Start going down stairs aggressively.
a) Work North-South, not East-West.
b) Take every stairs you see, unless you have
already-detected-objects left to pick up.
(Ignore level feelings for the exercise. In general, you should pay
attention only to 'feeling lucky' and better at the beginning of the
game. For levels with good feelings, if you run across a pit of OoD
orcs or jellies, you should ignore it and go on to the next level.

5. Only enter a room if there's something worth picking up, or a
monster that's likely to have a good drop. If you see a Large White
Snake, ignore it and keep exploring. Only kill non-drop monsters if
they get in your way.

6. Return when both potions are used up, but your goal should be 450',
unless Bullroarer has an exceptionally good drop. So conserve your
potions. Don't use them in combat, unless you get desperate.

Therefore: try hard to avoid combat if you think you might need
to consume any resources,
and the monster is not a unique, or otherwise has a good drop.

7. Sell all the staffs except Teleport, Perception, Detect Object,
Detect Doors, and Detect Evil, and sell all wands except Teleport Oher.
Sell any weapons that don't give you better damage than a fully
enchanted dagger, unless it's something you might want to save for
later:
* Acid, Elec, Fire brand. (Cold and Poison have a particularly nasty
hole.)
* Westernesse (!), Holy Avenger, Defender, Gondolin (you won't see this
one.)
* *Slay Evil* or Blessed with ESP. (Use these immediately as a swap.)
* Extra Blows.

8. Enchant your weapon, buy more recall, buy more CSW, and scrolls of
Teleportation if they are available. Buy a long bow (preferred) or lt
xbow, and enchant it to +7,+7, then +9,+9. Also buy a Staff of
Teleportation at your earliest opportunity.

9. Keep going down agressively to 1000', where you would normally
start looking for a Ring of Free Action. (You should be relatively
safe to around 1150', and paralyzers start getting a lot more common
after 1300' or so.)

Note: Since warrior lacks detection, you have a pretty high chance of
death until you get the Staff of Teleportation. But this actually
means your odds of dying are probably lower, since you get the
necessary loot so much faster. Anyway, it hardly matters, since this
part of the game should take very little time.

This is the end of the exercise, but with such a strong character,
there's *nothing* really stopping you from diving all the way to 1400'
once you have Free Action, and 1900' once you have ESP or SI. (Just
teleport away from OoD dreads, then leave the level. Weaker 'G' you
can kill with a bow and Staff of Detect Evil.)

Some advice on early tactics: (tactics 101)

* For evasion, run around a corner, or run to the stairs if you can't
escape otherwise. You can also ?Phase away.

* You should be able to kill the Dogs *easily* at cl 1 with no potions.
Stand in the middle of a room. If they are 1 square away, step back
and make them come to you. Take advantage of their dancing habit.

* If you run across Bullroarer early, first quaff !Hero, then finish
him off. For Brodda, always use !Hero. Uniques are much easier to
kill with !Hero. (Don't use Berserk, since it also probably reduces
your AC to 0.)

* Test scrolls you find in the dungeon, by standing on a stair and
running back up if something nasty gets summoned. Test potions by
whatever free means you prefer: quaffing or resale. Only after you
have a Staff of Teleportation should you start spending cash to ID
potions. (The only genuinely bad early potion is clumsiness, since it
immediately interferes with your fighting ability. Losing a few HP
won't really hurt you, and you can afford to lose a single point of STR
with this character.)

* Only fight mobs if you can usually defeat (kill or frighten) them in
a single round of combat.

What to avoid: (tactics 102)
* Large mobs novice paladins or priests in LOS. (You probably won't
ever be carrying enough cash that novice rogues are more than a minor
nuisance.
* hill orcs, black orcs and stronger. (Snagas and Cave orcs should
take only a single turn of combat. This also means: don't fight orc
uniques at depth! They aren't worth all the effort for such a small
drop.)
* Breeders that get away from you. ('L'ice, 'I'nsects, and Blue 'i'cky
things. *Especially* run from Blue Ickies, Hummerhorns, Giant
Fireflies, and Neekerbreekers. Leave the level. Do NOT try to empty
that vault once they start breeding. Hummerhorns (Yellow 'I' are the
worst, because you probably won't be able to use your Staff of
Teleportation if you are confused.)
* Monsters that self-heal faster than you can do damage. (druids, dark
elven priests, wormtongue, etc, until you enchant your weapon.)
* More dangerous version of hounds: water hounds, air hounds, and earth
hounds. (Leave the level if you must. You can always go back upstairs,
or recall back to the dungeon. Water hounds are pretty easy to kill,
but they will totally destroy your equipment. The others will use up
too much !CCW.)
* Homonculi. *Always* kill these with a bow.
* Eyes, molds, and jellies. (Don't bother killing them unless they are
blocking the stairs down or a room full of goodies. And only kill the
nasty (acid, -STR) ones with a bow. If you don't have a bow, go back
up the stairs and try again.)
* Try to evade Red Nagas and Red Frogs. If you can't evade, kill them
with a bow. (They are erratic, so no ?Phase is necessary, and evasion
is usually pretty easy.)

The complete exercise should take about 1 hour.

---------------------------------

Here's the character dump for the exercies, followed by the another
dump of same character after first recall.

(Total elapsed time, 22 minutes.)

This guy came back a little early, because he got a huge drop from
Bullroarer. He's also further advanced than usual because he got a
bunch of wolves when he tested his scroll of summoning. (It's dead
easy to kill wolves at cl 6, and they give a lot of experience at that
level. If you go down fast, you will level up extremely quickly. Just
one mob of easy monsters.)

[Angband 3.0.6 alpha 3 Character Dump]

Name Deathseeker. Self RB CB EB
Best
Sex Female Age 14 STR: 16 +2 +5 +0
18/50
Race Half-Orc Height 62 INT: 10 -1 -2 +0
7
Class Warrior Weight 119 WIS: 10 +0 -2 +0
8
Title Rookie Status 1 DEX: 17 +0 +2 +0
18/20
HP 17/20 Maximize Y CON: 14 +1 +2 +0
17
SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 12 -4 -1 +0
7

Level 1 Armor [14,+2] Saving Throw
Poor
Cur Exp 0 Fight (+2,+3) Stealth
Bad
Max Exp 0 Melee (+2,+3) Fighting
Excellent
Adv Exp 11 Shoot (+2,+0) Shooting
Good
MaxDepth 50 ft Blows 4/turn Disarming
Fair
Turns 6766 Shots 0/turn Magic Device
Poor
Gold 6 Infra 30 ft Perception
Bad
Burden 38.3 lbs Speed Normal Searching
Poor

Your mother was an Orc, but it is unacknowledged. You are the adopted
child of a Serf. You are the black sheep of the family. You have
blue eyes, straight auburn hair, and an average complexion.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:............. Blind:.............

Elec:............. Confu:.............
Fire:............. Sound:.............
Cold:............. Shard:.............
Pois:............. Nexus:.............
Fear:............. Nethr:.............
Lite:............. Chaos:.............

Dark:............+ Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:.............

Feath:............. Sear.:.............
PLite:............. Infra:.............

Regen:............. Tunn.:.............

Telep:............. Speed:.............
Invis:............. Blows:.............
FrAct:............. Shots:.............
HLife:............. Might:.............

[Character Equipment]

a) a Main Gauche (1d5) (+0,+0) {10% off}
b) (nothing)
c) (nothing)
d) (nothing)
e) (nothing)
f) a Brass Lantern (with 7499 turns of light)

It cannot be harmed by fire.

g) Chain Mail (-2) [14,+0]
h) (nothing)
i) (nothing)
j) (nothing)
k) (nothing)
l) (nothing)

[Character Inventory]

a) 5 Rations of Food
b) a Flask of oil
c) a Blue Speckled Potion of Heroism
d) a Clotted Red Potion of Berserk Strength
e) 2 Scrolls titled "nerre potun" of Phase Door
f) a Scroll titled "uniorn tiblaa" of Word of Recall {!*}

-------------------------------

Here's a sample dump for after the first recall to town. (22 minutes of
gameplay.)
Note: if you like the format, get the patch!!!

[Angband 3.0.6 alpha 3 Character Dump]

Name Deathseeker. Self RB CB EB
Best
Sex Female Age 12 STR: 16 +2 +5 +0
18/50
Race Half-Orc Height 61 INT: 10 -1 -2 +0
7
Class Warrior Weight 123 WIS: 10 +0 -2 +0
8
Title Swordsman Status 2 DEX: 17 +0 +2 +0
18/10
HP 155/155 Maximize Y CON: 14 +1 +2 +0
17
SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 12 -4 -1 +0
7

Level 12 Armor [18,+2] Saving Throw
Fair
Cur Exp 792 Fight (+2,+3) Stealth
Bad
Max Exp 792 Melee (+2,+5) Fighting
Superb
Adv Exp 935 Shoot (+2,+0) Shooting
Superb
MaxDepth 350 ft Blows 4/turn Disarming
Fair
Turns 57189 Shots 1/turn Magic Device
Fair
Gold 112 Infra 30 ft Perception
Bad
Burden 77.2 lbs Speed Normal Searching
Poor

Your father was an Orc, and it is acknowledged. You are the adopted
child of a Townsman. You are a credit to the family. You have dark
brown eyes, straight red hair, and an average complexion.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:............. Blind:.............

Elec:............. Confu:.............
Fire:............. Sound:.............
Cold:............. Shard:.............
Pois:............. Nexus:.............
Fear:............. Nethr:.............
Lite:............. Chaos:.............

Dark:............+ Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:.............

Feath:............. Sear.:.............
PLite:............. Infra:.............

Regen:............. Tunn.:.............

Telep:............. Speed:.............
Invis:............. Blows:.............
FrAct:............. Shots:.............
HLife:............. Might:.............

[Character Equipment]

a) a Main Gauche (1d5) (+0,+2)
b) a Light Crossbow (x3) (+0,+0)
c) (nothing)
d) (nothing)
e) (nothing)
f) a Brass Lantern (with 10092 turns of light)

It cannot be harmed by fire.

g) Chain Mail (-2) [14,+0]
h) (nothing)
i) (nothing)
j) a Hard Leather Cap [2] {average}
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots [2] {average}

[Character Inventory]

a) 6 Rations of Food
b) 2 Flasks of oil
c) a Gold Potion of Speed
d) 4 Cyan Potions of Heroism
e) 6 Shimmering Potion of Cure Serious Wounds
f) 5 Bubbling Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
g) 7 Scrolls titled "sun tanih" of Phase Door
h) 5 Scrolls titled "klimic plu" of Word of Recall {!*}
i) a Rusty Rod of Trap Location {!!,400'}
j) a Runed Staff of Object Location
k) 26 Bolts (1d5) (+2,+5)

[Home Inventory]

a) 34 Arrows of Slay Dragon (1d4) (+8,+3)
It slays dragons.
b) 29 Arrows (1d4) (+1,+5)

Deathseeker. the Half-Orc Warrior
Began the quest to kill Morgoth on 12/05/2005 at 06:51 PM
CHAR.
| TURN | DEPTH |LEVEL| EVENT
| 13371| 150 | 3 | First kill: red centipede
| 16261| 200 | 5 | Reached level 5
| 19881| 250 | 6 | Killed Fang, Farmer Maggot's dog
| 26376| 300 | 6 | Killed Grip, Farmer Maggot's dog
| 31256| 300 | 10 | Reached level 10
| 39471| 300 | 11 | IDed ?Summon, called wolves. (Advanced some
| continued... | | levels.)
| 39681| 300 | 11 | Killed Bullroarer the Hobbit

Eddie Grove

Dec 6, 2005, 2:16:12 AM12/6/05
"pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> writes:

> 3. You will need to kill some townies, so stair-scum until you have
> enough gold. (Long-sword +Berserk doesn't sell for much for Half-Orc.)
> Stair scum by going up and down stairs, pick up any LOS gold/objects,
> and kill any LOS townies with a drop, including vets and mercs.

This may be optimal, but seems tedious. You can sell the chainmail
and buy soft/hard leather. Dangerous, but it's an exercise, so
might be OK. Do you really want to encourage stair-scumming?

> 7. Sell all the staffs except Teleport, Perception, Detect Object,
> Detect Doors, and Detect Evil, and sell all wands except Teleport Oher.

Don't sell wands of light. They don't sell for much and are very
useful against orcs and trolls. I also save ball attacks for use
against breeders. The rest are only for the shopkeepers.

Eddie

Ojomax

Dec 6, 2005, 2:03:22 AM12/6/05
On 2005-12-05 08:37:37, Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote:

> Start a warrior with Str Dex and Con at 16 before race/class modifiers.

I have always preferred to play a half-troll one, with STR @ 18/80, CON @ at
least 18/30 and rest mostly spent to DEX. Gets 2 blows with the initial sword
and 3 with a light weapon, which is generally preferred. (2 * 2d5 = 3 * 1d7 but
light weapon beats the heavy one when enchanted.)
'Course, everyone picks his own style.

Ojomax

Garrie Irons

Dec 6, 2005, 3:13:20 AM12/6/05
> CAPS LOCK wrote:
>

> * Test scrolls you find in the dungeon, by standing on a stair and
> running back up if something nasty gets summoned. Test potions by
> whatever free means you prefer: quaffing or resale. Only after you
> have a Staff of Teleportation should you start spending cash to ID
> potions. (The only genuinely bad early potion is clumsiness, since it
> immediately interferes with your fighting ability. Losing a few HP
> won't really hurt you, and you can afford to lose a single point of STR
> with this character.)

A pretty good way to id LOTS of scrolls and potions is buy 1 and sell it
back. It's quick and cheap
compared to ID.

I really avoid drinking unid'd ! but the bad scrolls are much less tedious.

Garrie

PS comments requested for http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=5190. I
got both
a Tulwar of Westernesse (2d4) (+5,+8) (+1) {first dive <250'}and
Law Dragon Scale Mail (-2) [30,+9] {.650'}
on my first dive (which IRC was 1100')

PPS: if you want to dive with a warrior, don't buy equipment. Just dive. If
it's not cursed, wear it.
when you find {good}or {excellent}, upgrade. if it's cursed or average, kill
it.

Tagore Smith

Dec 6, 2005, 3:35:53 AM12/6/05

Garrie Irons wrote:

> > CAPS LOCK wrote:
> A pretty good way to id LOTS of scrolls and potions is buy 1 and sell it
> back. It's quick and cheap
> compared to ID.
>
> I really avoid drinking unid'd ! but the bad scrolls are much less tedious.

The problem is that if you're diving you don't want to be carrying
potions back to the shop. You can go to 600' on the first trip pretty
easily with a strong warrior, and you want to come back with the most
valuable stuff you can find. The only two you need to worry about,
realistically, are weakness and clumsiness. It is possible to start
with stats that are high enough to give you a buffer of one point
before you lose blows, and being reduced to 3 blows is not a disaster.

pete mack

Dec 6, 2005, 3:48:12 AM12/6/05
Eddie Grove wrote:
> "pete mack" <pma...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > 3. You will need to kill some townies, so stair-scum until you have
> > enough gold. (Long-sword +Berserk doesn't sell for much for Half-Orc.)
> > Stair scum by going up and down stairs, pick up any LOS gold/objects,
> > and kill any LOS townies with a drop, including vets and mercs.
>
> This may be optimal, but seems tedious. You can sell the chainmail
> and buy soft/hard leather. Dangerous, but it's an exercise, so
> might be OK. Do you really want to encourage stair-scumming?

It really doesn't take long, especially since this char starts with 300
gold anyway. I think reasonably good AC is just too valuable for a
warrior early. And this exercise is for people scared of diving, so I
don't want to make it dangerous; I want to make it as easy as possible.

In any case, it isn't nearly as tedious as clearing dungeon levels 1-3
with a ****ing shovel, then slogging painfully back. (Yes, I started
playing that way. I remember it all too well.)

Also, it's not a matter of encouraging stair scumming so much as
getting you accustomed to the fact that there are infinitely many
levels available, so fleeing--or diving through--even an "excellent"
level doesn't really lose you much.

OTOH, fleeing a level with a Great Checkerboard Vault definitely means
losing a whole bunch of somethings. There are some risks that are
really worth taking.

> > 7. Sell all the staffs except Teleport, Perception, Detect Object,

> > Detect Doors, and Detect Evil, and sell all wands except Teleport Other.

> Don't sell wands of light. They don't sell for much and are very
> useful against orcs and trolls. I also save ball attacks for use
> against breeders. The rest are only for the shopkeepers.

That's a good idea, especially before purchasing the godlike Staff of
Teleportation. Once you have that staff, you can just treat them as
just one more thing Not Worth Fighting Without a Stronger Character. I
just don't like filling my inventory with marginally useful stuff, but
these would certainly mean fewer premature fatalities.

Before finding a Rod of Detection or equivalent artifact, aggressive
warriors have to carry more painfully heavy "crap" than any other
class. If you want to minimize early detection nuisances, play
Rogue/Priest/Paladin. (Full-caster magic users also carry lots of
stuff late in the game, but at that point, loot doesn't much matter.)

Chris Kern

Dec 6, 2005, 6:39:34 PM12/6/05

Good idea. I always recommend the same thing for people who are
scared of mages, or who think that you can't go past 50' until you get
to level 10. I've outlined a specific strategy in several past
newsgroup posts for getting a High Elf mage to stat gain rather
quickly (my best time is 3 hours but that was with some very lucky
finds).