So who is the new maintainer?

copx

Nov 18, 2005, 6:45:06 AM11/18/05
RR has stepped down but no new maintainer has shown up so far. Isn't it time
for a decision?

Craig Oliver

Nov 18, 2005, 7:15:49 AM11/18/05
On 2005-11-18 12:45:06, "copx" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> RR has stepped down but no new maintainer has shown up so far. Isn't it time
> for a decision?

A decision can only be made if there is more than one person who wants the job.
We can't vote for the new maintainer if there are no candidates! Or were you
hoping to draft someone...? ;)

Despite the lack of a maintainer, development on Angband seems to have
increased. For example, I've been playing the extended character patch by Mr.
Merrick et al and I've been very impressed. I'd love to see that incorporated
into the next version of Angband.

I don't think there needs to be a rush to crown a new maintainer. I have a
feeling Angband development will sort itself out before too long, and as Robert
put it, "people will vote with their feet."

Craig
--
http://penancecomic.com
http://www.chambrook.org

Chris Kern

Nov 18, 2005, 7:53:42 AM11/18/05
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:45:06 +0100, "copx" <inv...@invalid.com>
posted the following:

>RR has stepped down but no new maintainer has shown up so far. Isn't it time
>for a decision?

A decision on what? If no new maintainer has showed up, what are we
supposed to do, force someone to take the position?

-Chris

Anssi Ramela

Nov 18, 2005, 9:00:32 AM11/18/05
copx kirjoitti:

> RR has stepped down but no new maintainer has shown up so far. Isn't it time
> for a decision?

Since Robert is the current maintainer, I guess he will
make someone who can and wants to do it, the new maintainer.

magnate

Nov 18, 2005, 9:10:46 AM11/18/05
Craig Oliver wrote:
> On 2005-11-18 12:45:06, "copx" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> > RR has stepped down but no new maintainer has shown up so far. Isn't it time
> > for a decision?
>
> A decision can only be made if there is more than one person who wants the job.

Even one would do.

> I don't think there needs to be a rush to crown a new maintainer. I have a
> feeling Angband development will sort itself out before too long, and as Robert
> put it, "people will vote with their feet."

Agreed, but I hope it doesn't take so long that competing development
versions have diverged and begun to get all mangled up before someone
takes a deep breath and volunteers to sort it out. This is exactly why
we have an official maintainer, so prevent what may be just about to
happen. I have not always agreed with RR's decisions, but I'm damn glad
he's been there to make them.

CC

Timo Pietilä

Nov 18, 2005, 9:39:53 AM11/18/05

I know that decision has been pretty much made already, but because it
is not my job to reveal who has been chosen I wont say it. But I can say
that "the chosen one" is a good choise (and not me. phew)

Timo Pietilä

Anssi Ramela

Nov 18, 2005, 12:15:58 PM11/18/05
I'm glad to hear that.