YASD

Eddie Grove

Oct 6, 2008, 7:15:10 PM10/6/08

I was doing pretty well with this guy, but was done in by the curse of
!enlightenment. Instead of doing *detection, I used !enlightenment, saw
something shiny, and took a step. I was in line with the door to a red dragon
pit, and when some dragon opened the door I was doomed.

Always detect monsters the very first thing. I thought I'd learned that by now.

[Angband 3.0.9ef3 Character Dump]

Name EarlyBeard Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 50 STR: 18/70 +2 -1 +7 18/150
Race Dwarf Height 47 INT: 15 -3 -3 +0 9
Class Priest Weight 137 WIS: 18/68 +2 +3 +5 18/168
Title Canon Status 1 DEX: 17 -2 -1 +3 17
HP -925/341 Maximize Y CON: 18 +2 +0 +3 18/50
SP 79/235 CHR: 14 -3 +2 +0 13

Level 35 Armor [49,+67] Saving Throw 96
Cur Exp 587418 Fight (+15,+15) Stealth 2
Max Exp 587418 Melee (+27,+26) Fighting 214
Adv Exp 630000 Shoot (+28,+19) Shooting 189
Recall to 4750 ft Blows 2/turn Disarming 54
Turns 236632 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 75
Gold 136701 Infra 50 ft Perception 18
Burden 186.5 lbs Energy 230% Searching 23

You are the only child of a Dwarven Prison Guard. You are the black
sheep of the family. You have dark brown eyes, straight black hair, a
two foot beard, and a dark complexion.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:*.......+.... Blind:............+
Elec:............. Confu:.............
Fire:............. Sound:.............
Cold:............. Shard:.............
Pois:......+...... Nexus:...........+.
Fear:............. Nethr:.............
Lite:............. Chaos:.............
Dark:............. Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:.............
Feath:...........+. Sear.:.............
PLite:.....+....... Infra:.............
Regen:............. Tunn.:.............
Telep:............. Speed:+..+.........
Invis:..+.......... Blows:.............
FrAct:.........+... Shots:.............
HLife:............. Might:.+...........

[Last Messages]

> Looks like any other level.
> An image of your surroundings forms in your mind...
> You have a Potion of Enlightenment (f).
> Target Aborted.
> It casts a fearful illusion.
> You refuse to be frightened.
> It creates a mesmerising illusion.
> You disbelieve the feeble spell.
> It casts a fearful illusion.
> You refuse to be frightened.
> The Ancient red dragon casts a spell, burning your eyes!
> You are unaffected!
> The Great Hell Wyrm breathes fire.
> The Young red dragon resists a lot. <2x>
> You die.

[Character Equipment]

a) The Lucerne Hammer 'Til-i-arc' (2d5) (+12,+11) [+5] (+5) {darkelfsorc3450}
It increases your speed by 5. It is branded with acid. It provides
immunity to acid. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You get 2
blows per round with this weapon. With additional +6 dex you would
get 3 blows.
b) a Short Bow of Extra Might (x2) (+13,+19) (+1)
It increases your shooting power by 1.
c) a Ring of See Invisible
It grants you the ability to see invisible things.
d) a Ring of Speed (+9)
It increases your speed by 9.
e) an Amulet of Wisdom (+5)
It increases your wisdom by 5. It sustains your wisdom.
f) The Phial of Galadriel {!! floor400}
It usually provides light of radius 3. It activates for
illumination every 10+d10 turns. Your success rate is 98.5%, if
confused 96.8%.
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
g) Green Dragon Scale Mail (-2) [30,+6] {vault3500}
It provides resistance to poison. It activates for breathe poison
gas (150) every 450+d450 turns. Your success rate is 96.0%, if
confused 3.9%.
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
h) a Shadow Cloak [6,+9]
i) a Large Metal Shield of Resist Acid [5,+10]
It provides resistance to acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.
j) a Golden Crown of Might [0,+12] (+3) {youngBlue3500}
It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 3. It
sustains your strength, dexterity, and constitution. It grants you
immunity to paralysis. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
k) a Set of Gauntlets of Power (+5,+4) [2,+8] (+4)
It increases your strength by 4.
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots of Stability [6,+16] {imp3850}
It provides resistance to nexus. It makes you fall like a feather.

[Character Inventory]

a) a Holy Book of Prayers [Words of Wisdom] {@p2 @G2 @b2}
b) a Holy Book of Prayers [Chants and Blessings] {@p3 @G3 @b3}
c) a Holy Book of Prayers [Ethereal Openings] {@p5 @G5 @b5}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
d) a Holy Book of Prayers [Godly Insights] {@p6 @G6 @b6}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
e) 3 Potions of Healing {!*}
f) a Potion of Enlightenment
g) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
h) 43 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
i) 13 Scrolls of Recharging
j) 2 Rods of Teleport Other {@z4 !!}
Your success rate is 96.6%, if confused 5.5%.

k) 2 Rods of Fire Balls {!!}
Your success rate is 96.0%, if confused 3.9%.

l) 6 Wands of Teleport Other (29 charges) {@a4}
Your success rate is 98.1%, if confused 94.1%.

m) 4 Wands of Acid Balls (16 charges)
Your success rate is 96.0%, if confused 3.9%.
It cannot be harmed by acid.
n) 2 Staffs of Teleportation (12 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 98.1%, if confused 94.1%.

o) 3 Staffs of Speed (5 charges)
Your success rate is 97.1%, if confused 9.5%.

p) a Staff of Power (2 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 96.0%, if confused 3.9%.

q) 2 Staffs of *Destruction* (3 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 96.0%, if confused 3.9%.

r) a Ring of Speed (+8)
It increases your speed by 8.
s) a Mace of Flame (2d4) (+15,+11)
It is branded with fire. It provides resistance to fire. It cannot
be harmed by fire. You get 2 blows per round with this weapon.
With additional +6 dex you would get 3 blows.
t) 23 Arrows of Slay Dragon (1d4) (+11,+8)
It slays dragons.
u) 20 Arrows of Venom (1d4) (+9,+9)
It is branded with poison.
v) 17 Seeker Arrows (4d4) (+6,+8)

[Home Inventory]

a) 4 Holy Books of Prayers [Exorcism and Dispelling] {@p4 @G4 @b4}
b) 4 Holy Books of Prayers [Godly Insights] {@p6 @G6 @b6}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
c) a Holy Book of Prayers [Purifications and Healing] {@p7 @G7 @b7}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
d) a Holy Book of Prayers [Holy Infusions] {@p8 @G8 @b8}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
e) 14 Potions of Speed
f) a Potion of *Healing* {!*}
g) 10 Potions of Restore Mana
h) 5 Potions of Self Knowledge
i) 99 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
j) 8 Scrolls of *Identify*
k) 5 Scrolls of *Destruction* {!*}
l) a Scroll of Banishment {!*}
m) a Wand of Stone to Mud (4 charges)
Your success rate is 98.4%, if confused 96.2%.

n) 4 Staffs of *Destruction* (6 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 96.0%, if confused 3.9%.

o) a Ring of Constitution (+3)
It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

p) Bronze Dragon Scale Mail (-2) [30,+8]
It provides resistance to confusion. It activates for breathe
confusion (120) every 450+d450 turns. Your success rate is 96.0%,
if confused 3.9%.
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
q) Double Chain Mail (Dwarven) (-2) [16,+23] (+2)
It increases your strength and constitution by 2. It increases your
infravision by 2. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot
be harmed by acid or fire.
r) Leather Scale Mail of Resist Lightning (-1) [11,+5]
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
s) a Metal Cap of Seeing [3,+9] (+4 to searching)
It increases your searching by 4. It provides resistance to
blindness. It grants you the ability to see invisible things.
t) a Long Sword of *Slay Evil* { FA } (2d5) (+10,+8) (+2)
It increases your wisdom by 2. It slays all evil creatures. It is
blessed by the gods. It grants you immunity to paralysis. You get
2 blows per round with this weapon. With additional +6 dex you
would get 3 blows.
u) The Two-Handed Sword of Thror (5d6) (+7,+8)
It is branded with fire. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You
get 1 blow per round with this weapon. With additional +3 str you
would get 2 blows. With additional +2 dex you would get 2 blows.
v) a Mace of Westernesse (2d4) (+2,+14) (+1) {orcpit4300}
It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 1. It
slays orcs, trolls, and giants. It grants you immunity to paralysis
and the ability to see invisible things. You get 2 blows per round
with this weapon. With additional +5 dex you would get 3 blows.
w) a Two-Handed Flail of *Slay Dragon* (3d6) (+14,+7) (+2)
It increases your constitution by 2. It is especially deadly
against dragons. It provides resistance to fear. You get 1 blow
per round with this weapon.
x) 29 Seeker Arrows of Slay Evil (4d4) (+13,+13)
It slays all evil creatures.

[Options]

Adult: Maximize effect of race/class bonuses : yes (adult_maximize)
Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta): yes (adult_randarts)
Adult: Auto-scum for good levels : yes (adult_autoscum)
Adult: Restrict the use of stairs/recall : no (adult_ironman)
Adult: Restrict the use of stores/home : no (adult_no_stores)
Adult: Restrict creation of artifacts : no (adult_no_artifacts)
Adult: Don't stack objects on the floor : no (adult_no_stacking)
Adult: Preserve artifacts when leaving level : no (adult_no_preserve)
Adult: Don't generate connected stairs : yes (adult_no_stairs)
Adult: Monsters chase current location : yes (adult_ai_sound)
Adult: Monsters chase recent locations : yes (adult_ai_smell)
Adult: Monsters act smarter in groups : yes (adult_ai_packs)
Adult: Monsters learn from their mistakes : no (adult_ai_learn)
Adult: Monsters exploit players weaknesses : no (adult_ai_cheat)
Adult: Monsters behave more intelligently (broken): no (adult_ai_smart)
Score: Peek into object creation : no (score_peek)
Score: Peek into monster creation : no (score_hear)
Score: Peek into dungeon creation : no (score_room)
Score: Peek into something else : no (score_xtra)
Score: Know complete monster info : no (score_know)
Score: Allow player to avoid death : no (score_live)

George Smith

Oct 6, 2008, 8:25:23 PM10/6/08
Eddie Grove wrote:
> I was doing pretty well with this guy, but was done in by the curse of
> !enlightenment. Instead of doing *detection, I used !enlightenment, saw
> something shiny, and took a step. I was in line with the door to a red dragon
> pit, and when some dragon opened the door I was doomed.
>
> Always detect monsters the very first thing. I thought I'd learned that by now.
>
> HP -925/341

Oh. my. God.

No fire resistance?!

> Fire:.............

No fire resistance.

What the hell (no pun intended) were you doing at great wyrm depth with
NO FIRE RESISTANCE?!

Eddie Grove

Oct 6, 2008, 8:01:21 PM10/6/08
George Smith <gsm...@nospam.munged.invalid> writes:

It wasn't convenient. If I had had fire resistance, the lack of hp means a
resisted breath would still have killed me. I posted about that a couple
weeks ago, that if you cannot survive even with resistances, no point
obsessing about them.

I could have had double resistance, temporarily, but that wasn't the cause of
my death. I think there were 9 hell wyrms with LOS on me after the door opened.

If I had detected first, used _destruction second, I would still be on
schedule for a 250K win, at least in terms of depth/turns if not equipment.

All in all, after the initial luck with a good morningstar from Maggot, my
equipment sucked all game and I only found a single !con, at 4700'.

Eddie

pete m

Oct 6, 2008, 9:27:26 PM10/6/08

-925 HP is pretty cool-if you are going to die anyway, do it with
style. I had fighter this character was likely to die; I just didn't
expect it quite so immediately.

Josh Hayes

Oct 7, 2008, 12:51:22 AM10/7/08
pete m <pma...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> -925 HP is pretty cool-if you are going to die anyway, do it with
> style.

I quite agree: getting deaded at -3 is just pitiful. Far better to be no
more than a slightly greasy spot on the dungeon floor.

-JAH

Timo Pietilä

Oct 7, 2008, 12:53:05 AM10/7/08
Eddie Grove wrote:

> something shiny, and took a step. I was in line with the door to a red dragon
> pit, and when some dragon opened the door I was doomed.

> HP -925/341 Maximize Y CON: 18 +2 +0 +3 18/50

>> The Great Hell Wyrm breathes fire.

Wooo... That's nearly the max you can get. 1200-something damage.

Timo Pietilä

Timo Pietilä

Oct 7, 2008, 3:25:12 AM10/7/08
Eddie Grove wrote:

> I could have had double resistance, temporarily, but that wasn't the cause of
> my death. I think there were 9 hell wyrms with LOS on me after the door opened.
>
> If I had detected first, used _destruction second, I would still be on
> schedule for a 250K win, at least in terms of depth/turns if not equipment.

In that case you would have probably been dead even then. Detection
takes one turn and that is enough for door open and blasting
begin...unless you weren't in LoS of that pit before taking that step.
That fast diving takes luck. Skill alone is not enough.

This is pretty much same as one of my chars casting detection in dark
room and seeing 20+ gravity hounds in that very same room just outside
of my LoS (and no sound resistance, of course). RIP.

Timo Pietilä

Matthew Vernon

Oct 7, 2008, 5:12:13 AM10/7/08
Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.com> writes:

> HP -925/341 Maximize Y CON: 18 +2 +0 +3 18/50

> > The Great Hell Wyrm breathes fire.

"Toast" doesn't begin to describe that...

Matthew

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org

Magnate

Oct 7, 2008, 5:50:02 AM10/7/08
"Timo Pietilä" <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> wrote

I thought the max was 1600? And moreover, I thought Hell wyrms did the full
1600? Don't they have >4800hp?

Anyway, -925 is the lowest hp I've ever seen - congrats Eddie,

CC

Timo Pietilä

Oct 7, 2008, 8:00:16 AM10/7/08
Magnate wrote:
> "Timo Pietilä" <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> wrote
>> Eddie Grove wrote:
>>
>>> something shiny, and took a step. I was in line with the door to a
>>> red dragon
>>> pit, and when some dragon opened the door I was doomed.
>>
>>> HP -925/341 Maximize Y CON: 18 +2 +0 +3 18/50

>> Wooo... That's nearly the max you can get. 1200-something damage.
>
> I thought the max was 1600?

Yes it is. 1200-something is a good try.

> And moreover, I thought Hell wyrms did the
> full 1600? Don't they have >4800hp?

3800, so no full damage, only 1266. That is most any non-unique can make
though.

Timo Pietilä

Eddie Grove

Oct 7, 2008, 11:41:11 AM10/7/08
Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> writes:

> Eddie Grove wrote:
>
> > I could have had double resistance, temporarily, but that wasn't the cause of
> > my death. I think there were 9 hell wyrms with LOS on me after the door opened.
> > If I had detected first, used _destruction second, I would still be on
> > schedule for a 250K win, at least in terms of depth/turns if not equipment.
>
> In that case you would have probably been dead even then. Detection takes one
> turn and that is enough for door open and blasting begin...unless you weren't
> in LoS of that pit before taking that step. That fast diving takes luck. Skill
> alone is not enough.

It was stupidity, not bad luck. Thanks to my speed, I had two actions before
the door opened. Presumably the dragons by the door were normal speed. I
still might have died, since *detection was 1% fail and whatever escape I
would choose would have had a failure chance as well,

It's been too many games since I reached the depths without ESP and I forgot
that most basic survival technique. I've made that mistake before. yaSd.

Eddie

Martin Bazley

Oct 7, 2008, 2:46:31 PM10/7/08
The date being 7 Oct, Timo Pietilä
spouted the following:

> Magnate wrote:

> > And moreover, I thought Hell wyrms did the
> > full 1600? Don't they have >4800hp?
>
> 3800, so no full damage, only 1266. That is most any non-unique can make
> though.

And, indeed, 341 - -925 is 1266. Let this be a lesson to you, boys and
girls - never face down a Great Hell Wyrm with no resistance.

--
__<^>__ === RISC OS is a work of art. Some people adore it, ===
/ _ _ \ === others can't see the point of it, and it's really ===

Timo Pietilä

Oct 8, 2008, 1:03:07 AM10/8/08
Martin Bazley wrote:
> The date being 7 Oct, Timo Pietilä
> spouted the following:

>>> And moreover, I thought Hell wyrms did the
>>> full 1600? Don't they have >4800hp?
>> 3800, so no full damage, only 1266. That is most any non-unique can make
>> though.
>>
> And, indeed, 341 - -925 is 1266. Let this be a lesson to you, boys and
> girls - never face down a Great Hell Wyrm with no resistance.

I think Half-Troll Warrior can have HP over 1266. That could survive
single blast. But not pitfull of them.

Timo Pietilä

Timo Pietilä

Oct 8, 2008, 2:02:59 AM10/8/08
Eddie Grove wrote:
> Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> writes:
>
>> Eddie Grove wrote:
>>
>>> I could have had double resistance, temporarily, but that wasn't the cause of
>>> my death. I think there were 9 hell wyrms with LOS on me after the door opened.
>>> If I had detected first, used _destruction second, I would still be on
>>> schedule for a 250K win, at least in terms of depth/turns if not equipment.
>> In that case you would have probably been dead even then. Detection takes one
>> turn and that is enough for door open and blasting begin...unless you weren't
>> in LoS of that pit before taking that step. That fast diving takes luck. Skill
>> alone is not enough.
>
> It was stupidity, not bad luck. Thanks to my speed, I had two actions before
> the door opened. Presumably the dragons by the door were normal speed.

baby, young and mature are all normal speed. How does dungeon generation
give monsters energy? I have vague memory that being faster is no
guarantee for first move when dungeon is first generated.

Timo Pietilä

Eddie Grove

Oct 8, 2008, 1:30:56 AM10/8/08
Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> writes:

I never understood it, but put in some debugging code once and I seem to
recall no more than 20 energy to start, but that might have been waking
creatures rather than at initiation, and maybe 20 was only for fast monsters.

I was at +13 speed, so in 5 game turns I could generate another move. Perhaps
a second error was that I was wearing one speed ring and one see invisible,
with another speed ring in the pack.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Oct 8, 2008, 1:32:10 AM10/8/08
Martin Bazley <mar...@bazley.freeuk.com> writes:

> The date being 7 Oct, Timo Pietilä
> spouted the following:

> > > And moreover, I thought Hell wyrms did the
> > > full 1600? Don't they have >4800hp?
> >
> > 3800, so no full damage, only 1266. That is most any non-unique can make
> > though.
> >
> And, indeed, 341 - -925 is 1266. Let this be a lesson to you, boys and
> girls - never face down a Great Hell Wyrm with no resistance.

Would -81/341 have been any better?

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Oct 8, 2008, 2:04:46 AM10/8/08
Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> writes:

Bronze golems and pit fiends have 4000 hp and breathe fire.
Greater balrogs and MultiWyrms have 5000 and breathe fire.

Eddie

Timo Pietilä

Oct 8, 2008, 3:09:34 AM10/8/08

Ah, those JLE additions. I forgot about those. Still living in good old
days, I see.

Timo Pietilä

pete m

Oct 8, 2008, 2:48:50 PM10/8/08

By this logic, electricity resistance is useless but the other four
are not-poison and acid because they top out at 800/3, and fire and
cold at 1600/9 with temp resist. (if you had the permanent resist,
temp resist buffing would surely be a worthwhile prophylactic when
decemding the stairs). Of course, with a whole roomful of GHWs, it
probably wouldn't matter, but it would help against the phoenix or
tarrasque.

Eddie Grove

Oct 8, 2008, 3:39:52 PM10/8/08
pete m <pma...@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Oct 7, 10:32 pm, Eddie Grove <eddiegr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Martin Bazley <mar...@bazley.freeuk.com> writes:
> > > The date being 7 Oct, Timo Pietilä
> > > spouted the following:

> > > And, indeed, 341 - -925 is 1266.  Let this be a lesson to you, boys and
> > > girls - never face down a Great Hell Wyrm with no resistance.
> >
> > Would -81/341 have been any better?

> By this logic, electricity resistance is useless but the other four

I don't remember if I was carrying "rElec, but if so I certainly viewed that
as disposable.

> are not-poison and acid because they top out at 800/3, and fire and

Is the 1/2 damage for acid with armor on top of 1/3 for resist?
For some reason I thought it was one or the other.

> cold at 1600/9 with temp resist. (if you had the permanent resist,
> temp resist buffing would surely be a worthwhile prophylactic when
> decemding the stairs). Of course, with a whole roomful of GHWs, it
> probably wouldn't matter, but it would help against the phoenix or
> tarrasque.

Unfortunately, this was a ?recall. I always buff with resistances before
stairs, or even a fight I might need to *portal away from, but mana was
running out too often so I didn't keep the spell going all of the time.

I also could have used the spell for SI so I could wear another speed ring,
but again only temporarily since mana was a concern. There were plenty of
decisions that contributed to the death, but failing to detect as my first
action was a clear mistake, while the others were [perhaps bad] tradeoffs.

pete m

Oct 8, 2008, 5:15:16 PM10/8/08
On Oct 8, 12:39 pm, Eddie Grove <eddiegr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> pete m <pmac...@yahoo.com> writes:

> > > Would -81/341 have been any better?
> > By this logic, electricity resistance is useless but the other four
>
> I don't remember if I was carrying "rElec, but if so I certainly viewed that
> as disposable.
>
> > are not-poison and acid because they top out at 800/3, and fire and
>
> Is the 1/2 damage for acid with armor on top of 1/3 for resist?
> For some reason I thought it was one or the other.

It is both; acid resistance is effectively 1/6 if you have all armor
slots covered. It really helps if you are deperate to kill some deep
good targets, but mostly I don't take advantage of it because acid is
so hard on inventory and armor. But in reality, a Bile Wyrm is the
easiest to kill without double resistance, easier than a swamp wyrm,
because damage is min(1600,HP)/6 rather than min(800,HP)/3.

> Unfortunately, this was a ?recall.  I always buff with resistances before
> stairs, or even a fight I might need to *portal away from, but mana was
> running out too often so I didn't keep the spell going all of the time.
>
> I also could have used the spell for SI so I could wear another speed ring,
> but again only temporarily since mana was a concern.  There were plenty of
> decisions that contributed to the death, but failing to detect as my first
> action was a clear mistake, while the others were [perhaps bad] tradeoffs.

Yeah-I looked at your gear and didn't see a lot of choice in the
matter. It's a shame you hadn't found a shield of rfire. (I started
valuing those pretty high after I started diving)