WTF it really worked or YAWP

Jeda

Mar 11, 2005, 10:56:33 AM3/11/05
so I did set myself a turn limit this time: 2.5 million turns. No
(Auto)Scum, high elven warrior, vanilla
At dlevel 40 i had already used up 1million, still had no lightning res, and
was starting to wonder at what level I
would have to suicide.
Lvl 60, 2million turns, was the turning point. Killed Saruman with a hasted
speed of 10. He dropped
Cambeleg and those res Chaos/Confu/Nether boots, and one level later, a +10
speed ring was waiting for me in a lvault.

Descending to 80 I found +9 speed boots that I couldn't use without loosing
res confu, thorin that i couldn't use without loosing resblindness, I knew i
had the
required equipment, it just didn't fit together, and I only had 100k turns
left. At that point I was asking myself if i should increase the turn limit
to 3 or 3.5 million,
but decided against it. Descending to 98 i teleported high uniques away
whenever i saw them, from the deepest 10 only gothmog and the witchking
died. Can't remember what they dropped, but it alowed me to put on the speed
boots only loosing res chaos...
So there I was at 98, 17k turns left and a superb feeling... the second
superb feeling ever. Ancalon (ignored for the 10th or so time), a blue
dragon nest, and a gvault was responsible. In the vault I found Mace of D of
slay Evil.. blows -3, still damage +40 and a *healing*.
With 9k turns, 3 life, 9*heal*, 17 heal i went for the last 2. Sauron didn't
teleport me away so I could save potions here. Maybe he didn't teleport
because he realized that I wasn't able to... The game dropped maybe 5 - 10
scrolls that all got used, burned up whatever long before sauron, and my
black market didn't offer them once... 7k turns, 3 life, 9*heal*, 12
heal... I knew that both other winners needed somewhat around this, maybe a
little more... Remember the high uniques I teleported away? Somehow I think
the only thing that saved me from a panic attack in the final battle, was
that i had to give up telepathy... so at least I didn't have to look at
those uniques all the time. He summoned all of them, and I teleported them
all away :) .Well all but Ancalon, who probably didn't want to be ignored a
11th time and didn't appear. He seemed to be really too busy with summoning
and didn't cast manastorm more than twice, so in the end he died
without too much trouble.

I can see the warrior who was my best warrior until this one, about same
points as this one, died with far better equipment on
lvl 64 from a grand master mystic, after 52 million turns...
I have 7k turns left and I want to tell you why I was writing this thread:
Several of the long time players here mentioned how faster == more fun. I
wasn't really sure if that would be true for me, after all those players
have won this game for years have lot more experience etc... But I can tell
you, this is true for everyone, including newbies, what is my rank for sure!
This winner was by far the most exciting of the three I have now, and also
the one I learned most from

so far, Jeda

[Angband 3.0.5 Character Dump]

Name DarthVader Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Female Age 102 STR! 18/100 +1 +5 +8 18/240
Race High-Elf Height 73 Int! 18/100 +3 -2 +1 18/120
18/90
Class Warrior Weight 195 WIS! 18/100 -1 -2 +3 18/100
Title ***WINNER*** Status 42 DEX! 18/100 +3 +2 +9 18/240
HP 1071/1129 Maximize Y CON! 18/100 +1 +2 +7 18/200
SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR! 18/100 +5 -1 +3 18/170

Level 50 Armor [47,+132] Saving Throw Heroic
Cur Exp 10867932 Fight (+63,+43) Stealth Very Good
Max Exp 10867932 Melee (+81,+62) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp ******** Shoot (+83,+22) Shooting Legendary
MaxDepth Lev 101 Blows 5/turn Disarming Superb
Gold 2310302 Shots 2/turn Magic Device Superb
Perception Poor
Burden 334.6 lbs Infra 40 ft Searching Poor

You are one of several children of a Telerin Archer. You have light
grey eyes, straight black hair, and a fair complexion.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:......+..++.. Blind:........+....
Elec:......+...... Confu:......+......
Fire:..*.+.+...... Sound:......+......
Cold:......+..+... Shard:.......+.....
Pois:....+...+.... Nexus:......+..+...
Fear:..+.+...+...+ Nethr:..+..........
Lite:.....+......+ Chaos:.............
Dark:.....+...+... Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:..+.......... Stea.:.+...........
Feath:............. Sear.:.............
PLite:............. Infra:.............
Regen:..+.......... Tunn.:.............
Telep:............. Speed:.++++......+.
Invis:..+..+......+ Blows:.............
FrAct:..+.......+.. Shots:.+...........
HLife:.....+....... Might:.............

[Character Equipment]

a) a Mace of Disruption of Slay Evil (5d8) (+18,+19)
It slays undead and all evil creatures.
b) The Long Bow 'Belthronding' (x3) (+20,+22) (+1)
It increases your dexterity by 1. It increases your stealth, speed,
and shooting speed by 1. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It
might have hidden powers.
c) The Ring of Power 'Narya' (+6,+6) (+1)
It increases all your stats by 1. It increases your speed by 1. It
provides immunity to fire. It provides resistance to fear and nether.
It sustains your strength, wisdom, constitution, and charisma. It
slows your metabolism and speeds your regeneration. It grants you
immunity to paralysis and the ability to see invisible things. It
activates for large fire ball (120) every 20+d20 turns. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.
d) a Corundum Ring of Speed (+13)
It increases your speed by 13.
e) The Elfstone 'Elessar' (+7,+7) [+10] (+2)
It increases your strength, wisdom, and charisma by 2. It increases
your speed by 2. It provides resistance to fire, poison, and fear. It
activates for heal (500) every 200 turns. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
f) The Arkenstone of Thrain
It provides resistance to light, dark, and life draining. It lights
the dungeon around you. It grants you the ability to see invisible
things. It activates for detection every 30+d30 turns. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.
g) The Full Plate Armour of Isildur [25,+25] (+1)
It increases your constitution by 1. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, confusion, sound, and nexus. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.
h) a Cloak of Protection [1,+14]
It provides resistance to shards. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

i) The Large Leather Shield of the Haradrim [4,+13] (+2)
It increases your strength and constitution by 2. It provides
resistance to poison, fear, and blindness. It sustains your strength
and constitution. It aggravates creatures around you. It activates
for berserk rage (50+d50 turns) every 50 turns. It cannot be harmed by
the elements.
j) The Steel Helm of Hammerhand [6,+20] (+3)
It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 3. It
provides resistance to acid, cold, dark, and nexus. It sustains your
strength, dexterity, and constitution. It aggravates creatures around
you. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
k) The Set of Cesti of Fingolfin (+10,+10) [5,+20] (+4)
It increases your dexterity by 4. It provides resistance to acid. It
grants you immunity to paralysis. It activates for a magical arrow
(150) every 30+d30 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots of Speed [6,+10] (+9) {!*!*!*}
It increases your speed by 9.

[Character Inventory]

a) 10 Light Green Mushrooms of Restoring {!E, 50% off}
b) 5 Light Blue Potions of Speed {10% off}
c) 6 Violet Potions of Resist Heat
d) 6 Orange Speckled Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
e) 2 Purple Potions of Healing
f) 8 Puce Potions of *Healing*
g) a Copper Speckled Potion of Life
h) 3 Scrolls titled "od wunmar" of Phase Door
i) 4 Scrolls titled "arg dok miban" of Teleport Level {!*!*!*!*}
j) 8 Scrolls titled "nelgzun abu" of Recharging
k) 4 Scrolls titled "ish wergbat" of Holy Chant
l) a Scroll titled "blaaarg tabden" of Banishment
m) 2 Scrolls titled "bluta stacomp" of Mass Banishment
n) 6 Gold Rods of Perception (2 charging) {@z9 !!}
It cannot be harmed by electricity.
o) 4 Zinc Rods of Recall (1 charging) {@z2 !*}
It cannot be harmed by electricity.
p) 5 Magnesium Rods of Detection (3 charging) {@z6 !! !d!k!v}
It cannot be harmed by electricity.
q) a Mithril Rod of Healing
It cannot be harmed by electricity.
r) 4 Platinum Rods of Teleport Other {!!}
s) a Bamboo Staff of Healing (0 charges)
t) The Augmented Chain Mail of Caspanion (-2) [16,+20] (+3)
It increases your intelligence, wisdom, and constitution by 3. It
cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have hidden powers.
u) The Massive Iron Crown of Morgoth [0,+0] (+125) {cursed}
It increases all your stats by 125. It increases your infravision by
125. It is cursed. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might
have hidden powers.
v) The Mighty Hammer 'Grond' (9d9) (+5,+25) [+10]
It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have hidden powers.
w) 16 Seeker Arrows of Holy Might (4d4) (+15,+19) {@f0 =g}
It slays demons, undead, and all evil creatures. It cannot be harmed
by acid or fire.

[Home Inventory]

a) 13 Light Blue Potions of Speed {10% off}
b) 3 Scrolls titled "misne poer bek" of Satisfy Hunger
c) 4 Copper Rods of Illumination {@z0}
d) a Jade Ring of Damage (+14)
e) The Ring of Barahir (+1)
It increases all your stats by 1. It increases your stealth by 1. It
provides resistance to poison and dark. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
f) The Ring of Tulkas (+4)
It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 4. It
provides resistance to fear. It activates for haste self (75+d75
turns) every 150+d150 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
g) a Mother-of-Pearl Amulet of the Magi [+9] (+3)
It increases your intelligence by 3. It increases your searching by 3.
It provides resistance to confusion. It sustains your intelligence.
It grants you immunity to paralysis and the ability to see invisible
things. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
h) The Necklace of the Dwarves (+3)
It increases your strength and constitution by 3. It increases your
infravision by 3. It provides resistance to fear. It lights the
dungeon around you and speeds your regeneration. It grants you
immunity to paralysis and the ability to see invisible things. It
cannot be harmed by the elements.
i) a Dragon Tooth Amulet of ESP (+5)
It increases your searching by 5. It grants you the power of telepathy.
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
j) a Mithril Amulet of Weaponmastery (+3,+5) (+2)
It increases your strength by 2. It provides resistance to fear and
disenchantment. It sustains your strength and constitution. It grants
you immunity to paralysis.
k) The Chain Mail of Arvedui (-2) [14,+15] (+2)
It increases your strength and charisma by 2. It provides resistance
to acid, lightning, fire, cold, shards, and nexus. It cannot be harmed
by the elements.
l) The Mithril Plate Mail of Celeborn (-3) [35,+25] (+4)
It increases your strength and charisma by 4. It provides resistance
to acid, lightning, fire, cold, dark, and disenchantment. It activates
for banishment every 500 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
m) a Robe of Permanence [2,+25]
It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, chaos, and life
draining. It sustains all your stats. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
n) a Small Leather Shield of Preservation [2,+28]
It provides resistance to poison, disenchantment, and life draining.
It sustains your strength, dexterity, and constitution. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.
o) The Small Metal Shield of Thorin [3,+25] (+4)
It increases your strength and constitution by 4. It provides immunity
to acid. It provides resistance to fear, sound, and chaos. It grants
you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
p) The Hard Leather Cap of Thranduil [2,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It provides resistance
to blindness. It grants you the power of telepathy. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.
q) The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cambeleg' (+8,+8) [1,+15] (+2)
It increases your strength and constitution by 2. It grants you
immunity to paralysis. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
r) The Pair of Soft Leather Boots 'Dal-i-thalion' [2,+14] (+5)
It increases your dexterity by 5. It provides resistance to confusion,
nether, and chaos. It sustains your constitution. It grants you
immunity to paralysis. It activates for remove fear and cure poison
every 5 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
s) a Long Sword of Extra Attacks (2d5) (+13,+10) (+2)
It increases your attack speed by 2.
t) The Katana 'Aglarang' (8d4) (+0,+0) (+5)
It increases your dexterity by 5. It increases your speed by 5. It
sustains your dexterity. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
u) a Broad Axe of Fury (2d6) (+13,+12) (+2)
It increases your strength by 2. It increases your attack speed by 2.
It provides resistance to fear. It aggravates creatures around you.
It cannot be harmed by acid or fire.
v) The Great Axe of Durin (4d4) (+10,+20) [+15] (+3)
It increases your strength and constitution by 3. It increases your
tunneling by 3. It slays orcs, trolls, and demons, and is especially
deadly against dragons. It is branded with acid and fire. It provides
resistance to acid, fire, fear, light, dark, confusion, and chaos. It
grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

w) a Long Bow of Lothlorien (x3) (+13,+9) (+2)
It increases your dexterity by 2. It increases your shooting power by
2. It grants you immunity to paralysis and the power of telepathy. It
cannot be harmed by acid or fire.

[Options]

Adult: Allow purchase of stats using points : no (adult_point_based)
Adult: Allow specification of minimal stats : no (adult_auto_roller)
Adult: Maximize effect of race/class bonuses : yes (adult_maximize)
Adult: Preserve artifacts when leaving level : yes (adult_preserve)
Adult: Restrict the use of stairs/recall : no (adult_ironman)
Adult: Restrict the use of stores/home : no (adult_no_stores)
Adult: Restrict creation of artifacts : no (adult_no_artifacts)
Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta): no (adult_rand_artifacts)
Adult: Don't stack objects on the floor : no (adult_no_stacking)
Score: Peek into object creation : no (score_peek)
Score: Peek into monster creation : no (score_hear)
Score: Peek into dungeon creation : no (score_room)
Score: Peek into something else : no (score_xtra)
Score: Know complete monster info : no (score_know)
Score: Allow player to avoid death : no (score_live)

Eddie Grove

Mar 12, 2005, 5:48:42 AM3/12/05
"Jeda" <Matthias.n...@gmail.helloworld.com> writes:

> so I did set myself a turn limit this time: 2.5 million turns. No

Seems reasonable for your first attempt with a warrior.

> left. At that point I was asking myself if i should increase the turn limit
> to 3 or 3.5 million,
> but decided against it.

That's the hard part. If you set the turn limit low enough to add
excitement, there is always a point where you think it is too low.

> I can see the warrior who was my best warrior until this one, about same
> points as this one, died with far better equipment on
> lvl 64 from a grand master mystic, after 52 million turns...

When you play that long, carelessness or bad luck is bound to get you.

> This winner was by far the most exciting of the three I have now, and also
> the one I learned most from

There is an extra thrill when you start diving without the equipment
you would like to have, because time is running out.

> Title ***WINNER*** Status 42 DEX! 18/100 +3 +2 +9 18/240

Congratulations!

Eddie

Sampsa Lahtonen

Mar 13, 2005, 1:37:00 AM3/13/05
On 2005-03-11 16:56:33, "Jeda" <Matthias.n...@gmail.helloworld.com>
wrote:

> so I did set myself a turn limit this time: 2.5 million turns. No
> (Auto)Scum, high elven warrior, vanilla
> At dlevel 40 i had already used up 1million, still had no lightning res, and
> was starting to wonder at what level I
> would have to suicide.
> Lvl 60, 2million turns, was the turning point.

Another million turns in that bit? Shouldn't the game go quicker the deeper you
go?

> thorin that i couldn't use without loosing resblindness,

OK this explains the previous bit - you were looking for Holhenneth

> Descending to 98 i teleported high uniques away
> whenever i saw them, from the deepest 10 only gothmog and the witchking
> died. Can't remember what they dropped, but it alowed me to put on the speed
> boots only loosing res chaos...

This surely means you teleported away not only high uniques, but great wyrms of
chaos as well...

> The game dropped maybe 5 - 10
> scrolls that all got used, burned up whatever long before sauron, and my
> black market didn't offer them once... 7k turns, 3 life, 9*heal*, 12
> heal... I knew that both other winners needed somewhat around this, maybe a
> little more...

That's an experience question - you need less every time you do the kill. (No
priests and paladins ain't taken into account - Holy Word is cheating for me.)

> Old Morgy seemed to be really too busy with summoning

> and didn't cast manastorm more than twice, so in the end he died
> without too much trouble.

Well that's a luck question - maybe the previous bit is because you're getting
better and better on with RNG every time you do it... and his healing, while
not that effective, is at least as irritating as the mana storm.

> I can see the warrior who was my best warrior until this one, about same
> points as this one, died with far better equipment on
> lvl 64 from a grand master mystic, after 52 million turns...

52M?? I thought I were king of useless scumming, having used 4M turns on first
150' and 328 exp (!!), but you beat me by far. u must've been lucky, though,
staying alive for 52M turns... that's why most players wanna do it quickly,
less chances of getting bad luck.

> But I can tell
> you, this is true for everyone, including newbies, what is my rank for sure!
> This winner was by far the most exciting of the three I have now, and also
> the one I learned most from

I don't think anyone who has won the game three times should be titled as a
"newbie" - unless of course he is either a) cheating, b) having HW or c) using
52M turns.

> [Character Inventory]
>
> a) 10 Light Green Mushrooms of Restoring {!E, 50% off}

Only ten as a warrior? Well of course you've wanted to drop off ones found
from the dungeon since they aren't 50% off...

> c) 6 Violet Potions of Resist Heat

??? man, you're having immunity!

> i) 4 Scrolls titled "arg dok miban" of Teleport Level {!*!*!*!*}

You seem to think staying alive is more important than your reputation...

> q) a Mithril Rod of Healing
> It cannot be harmed by electricity.

What for? So far I know, no warrior is able to zap it.

> r) (only) 4 Platinum Rods of Teleport Other {!!}

Ok I agree, it's difficult to get that down with only 4 of these.

>> [Home Inventory]

> f) The Ring of Tulkas (+4)
> It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 4. It
> provides resistance to fear. It activates for haste self (75+d75
> turns) every 150+d150 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

Taking this in your inventory would remove the need of speed potions - lot
like a rod of speed, this is, but lighter and better.

> l) The Mithril Plate Mail of Celeborn (-3) [35,+25] (+4)
> It increases your strength and charisma by 4. It provides resistance
> to acid, lightning, fire, cold, dark, and disenchantment. It activates
> for banishment every 500 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

Oh how many times I've been unable to wield this for some reason - for you it
was confusion wasn't it?

> o) The Small Metal Shield of Thorin [3,+25] (+4)

> v) The Great Axe of Durin (4d4) (+10,+20) [+15] (+3)

> It increases your strength and constitution by 3. It increases your
> tunneling by 3. It slays orcs, trolls, and demons, and is especially
> deadly against dragons. It is branded with acid and fire. It provides
> resistance to acid, fire, fear, light, dark, confusion, and chaos. It
> grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

Hadn't wielding Durin saved you of loads of trouble? Conf resist, extra damage
on many monsters, you could've swapped Celeborn on.

Twisted One

Mar 13, 2005, 1:54:52 AM3/13/05
Sampsa Lahtonen wrote:
> I don't think anyone who has won the game three times should be titled as a
> "newbie" - unless of course he is either a) cheating, b) having HW or c) using
> 52M turns.

Having HW?

Sampsa Lahtonen

Mar 13, 2005, 8:18:51 AM3/13/05
On 2005-03-13 07:54:52, Twisted One <twist...@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> Sampsa Lahtonen wrote:
> > I don't think anyone who has won the game three times should be titled as a
> > "newbie" - unless of course he is either a) cheating, b) having HW or c) using
> > 52M turns.
>
> Having HW?

The holy word - I'm sorry if that was unclear. The holy word counts as cheating
for me since it makes the game far too easy.

Timo Pietilä

Mar 13, 2005, 10:02:10 AM3/13/05

Holy Word can fail. If you use it to heal in critical situation you can
end up dead. It is not GoI. It doesn't even damage more than Dispel Evil
from dungeon book. Priest is easy class, but Holy Word is not the reason
for it.

That is like saying "The Long Bow of Bard, if player plays ranger" or
"The Banishment if player plays mage", or "Blade of Chaos Extra Blows +2
weapon, if player plays warrior".

I play priests a lot and consider Holy Word one of the most useless
spells in game.

Timo Pietilä

Jeda

Mar 13, 2005, 11:41:33 AM3/13/05

> > so I did set myself a turn limit this time: 2.5 million turns. No
> > (Auto)Scum, high elven warrior, vanilla
> > At dlevel 40 i had already used up 1million, still had no lightning res,
and
> > was starting to wonder at what level I
> > would have to suicide.
> > Lvl 60, 2million turns, was the turning point.
>
> Another million turns in that bit? Shouldn't the game go quicker the
deeper you
> go?

in my eyes, the thing that really cuts turns is perm speed. My last winner
found feanor on 41 after 3million, and finished, playing VERY carefully in
less than 4.
Same for this one, I had the speed Ring (on 60), and was at once loosing
less turns

> > thorin that i couldn't use without loosing resblindness,
>
> OK this explains the previous bit - you were looking for Holhenneth

I wasn't looking for anything in special, I think I was waiting for generall
upgrades. I was also VERY unlucky with dex potions, and didn't get more
than 3 blows for a long time

> > Descending to 98 i teleported high uniques away
> > whenever i saw them, from the deepest 10 only gothmog and the witchking
> > died. Can't remember what they dropped, but it alowed me to put on the
speed
> > boots only loosing res chaos...
>
> This surely means you teleported away not only high uniques, but great
wyrms of
> chaos as well...

Nope, killed wyrms of any kind including chaos/of many colors. If you have
the hp to kill them without needing a potions, wyrms are
great droppers... If the wyrm summoned, I would just teleport away the newly
created ones if necessary. Phase door is a nice spell,
especially with the stupid monsters in vanilla. I had res chaos all the
time, from the boots, just had to put the speed boots on for abvious
reasons, only for sauron&morgy

> > I can see the warrior who was my best warrior until this one, about same
> > points as this one, died with far better equipment on
> > lvl 64 from a grand master mystic, after 52 million turns...
>
> 52M?? I thought I were king of useless scumming, having used 4M turns on
first
> 150' and 328 exp (!!), but you beat me by far. u must've been lucky,
though,
> staying alive for 52M turns... that's why most players wanna do it
quickly,
> less chances of getting bad luck.

It was my first char past stat gain, randarts on with a really good randart
armor found, maybe that was why I was too careful

> > But I can tell
> > you, this is true for everyone, including newbies, what is my rank for
sure!
> > This winner was by far the most exciting of the three I have now, and
also
> > the one I learned most from
>
> I don't think anyone who has won the game three times should be titled as
> "newbie" - unless of course he is either a) cheating, b) having HW or c)
using
> 52M turns.

c) :)

> > [Character Inventory]
> >
> > a) 10 Light Green Mushrooms of Restoring {!E, 50% off}
>
> Only ten as a warrior? Well of course you've wanted to drop off ones
found
> from the dungeon since they aren't 50% off...

There is an option to stack objects with different discounts, and I have it
activated... So basicly I bought some Mushrooms from the Blackmarket some
time,
and the rest automaticly got the 50%

> > c) 6 Violet Potions of Resist Heat
> ??? man, you're having immunity!

I put on narya just for last battle, and forgot to throw those away ;) I
also carried res cold pots, put they had to go for grond...

> > i) 4 Scrolls titled "arg dok miban" of Teleport Level {!*!*!*!*}
>
> You seem to think staying alive is more important than your
reputation...

I might have had to read one of those after morgoth death, or if he had
summoned something really ugly first turn, I could have restarted the battle
I like to be prepared

> > q) a Mithril Rod of Healing
> > It cannot be harmed by electricity.
>
> What for? So far I know, no warrior is able to zap it.

Yes you're right ;) call it a paranoid hope for another source of heal

> > f) The Ring of Tulkas (+4)
> > It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 4. It
> > provides resistance to fear. It activates for haste self (75+d75
> > turns) every 150+d150 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
>
> Taking this in your inventory would remove the need of speed potions -
lot
> like a rod of speed, this is, but lighter and better.

I was carrying staffs all the time, takes as many slots as the ring would
have, and takes a turn less to cast
... you feel moving slower. You are wielding ring of tulkas. You have no
room for Ring of Speed (+13). The great Storm Wyrm breathes Lightning :)

> > l) The Mithril Plate Mail of Celeborn (-3) [35,+25] (+4)
> > It increases your strength and charisma by 4. It provides resistance
> > to acid, lightning, fire, cold, dark, and disenchantment. It activates
> > for banishment every 500 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
>
> Oh how many times I've been unable to wield this for some reason - for you
it
> was confusion wasn't it?

correct.. I tried to put it on all the time, just didn't work together with
the rest

> > o) The Small Metal Shield of Thorin [3,+25] (+4)
>
> > v) The Great Axe of Durin (4d4) (+10,+20) [+15] (+3)
> > It increases your strength and constitution by 3. It increases your
> > tunneling by 3. It slays orcs, trolls, and demons, and is especially
> > deadly against dragons. It is branded with acid and fire. It provides
> > resistance to acid, fire, fear, light, dark, confusion, and chaos. It
> > grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
> >

> Hadn't wielding Durin saved you of loads of trouble? Conf resist, extra
damage
> on many monsters, you could've swapped Celeborn on.

... maybe,maybe not
durin -> no sound... thorin -> no blindness ->Thranduil? -> no max cons...
If there is a way to get all with the current stuff, i didn't find it

Matthew Collett

Mar 13, 2005, 2:20:00 PM3/13/05
In article <d11kln$33a$1...@oravannahka.helsinki.fi>,
Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> wrote:

> Holy Word can fail. If you use it to heal in critical situation you can
> end up dead. It is not GoI. It doesn't even damage more than Dispel Evil
> from dungeon book. Priest is easy class, but Holy Word is not the reason
> for it.

[...]

> I play priests a lot and consider Holy Word one of the most useless
> spells in game.

Seconded. It's only useful in the final battle if your HP are in that
narrow range where you would benefit from a fairly large heal, but are
not going to die if it fails; say current HP more than 600 but less than
(full health - 300). If anything, I am more likely to use it with a
paladin than with a priest, since a paladin is stuck with the fail
anyway (and has a bigger HP cushion).

Best wishes,
Matthew

--
Those who assert that the mathematical sciences have nothing to say
about the good or the beautiful are mistaken. -- Aristotle

Twisted One

Mar 13, 2005, 2:49:42 PM3/13/05
Matthew Collett wrote:
> In article <d11kln$33a$1...@oravannahka.helsinki.fi>,
> Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> wrote:
>
>>Holy Word can fail. If you use it to heal in critical situation you can
>>end up dead. It is not GoI. It doesn't even damage more than Dispel Evil
>>from dungeon book. Priest is easy class, but Holy Word is not the reason
>>for it.
>
>>I play priests a lot and consider Holy Word one of the most useless
>>spells in game.
>
> Seconded. It's only useful in the final battle if your HP are in that
> narrow range where you would benefit from a fairly large heal, but are
> not going to die if it fails; say current HP more than 600 but less than
> (full health - 300). If anything, I am more likely to use it with a
> paladin than with a priest, since a paladin is stuck with the fail
> anyway (and has a bigger HP cushion).

IIRC, my priest winner cast it once for the XP, and used the normal
heals with 0% fails and dispel evil and such.

Atriel

Mar 13, 2005, 8:23:27 PM3/13/05
I think that it is cheating:
- RohanKnight players, with their symbiontic biting
lightspeed horses in Tome
- Archon/Halftitan/Balrog in Heng, and Wands of Rockets
(im a cheater! hehe)
- Using stone to mud (Earthquake is there!)
- Using Teleport away - enter the vault tele away everybody steal
stuff in floor... not true to NPP
..
and so on :)
--
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.