How to save squelch settings in 3.1.1

Just a User

Oct 17, 2009, 1:39:00 PM10/17/09
In the latest version of Angband, I can't seem to get my squelch
settings to save with the rest of my options. How can I save them so
that I don't have to go through every item type and reset them with
each new character?

Eddie Grove

Oct 17, 2009, 7:11:28 PM10/17/09

There were too many bug reports from people saving and reloading squelch
settings without realizing it, so squelch in prf files was removed.

Squelch settings are reset at birth.

I think there is an open ticket to try to create some way to load sets of
items to squelch, but I'd guess that is low priority and unlikely to happen in
the next year. There might have been a plan to redo prf files entirely, and
if so that has to wait until someone figures out the right way to do things.

Eddie

Just a User

Oct 19, 2009, 4:55:26 PM10/19/09
On Oct 17, 7:11 pm, Eddie Grove <eddiegr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> There were too many bug reports from people saving and reloading squelch
> settings without realizing it, so squelch in prf files was removed.
>
> Squelch settings are reset at birth.
>
> I think there is an open ticket to try to create some way to load sets of
> items to squelch, but I'd guess that is low priority and unlikely to happen in
> the next year.  There might have been a plan to redo prf files entirely, and
> if so that has to wait until someone figures out the right way to do things.
>
> Eddie

Fair enough. I would like to request that the option to save separate
squelch options be given serious consideration. There are a _lot_ of
squelch settings (even more now that quality squelch settings have
been broken down further) and it is quite a bit of work to reset them
every time, especially if you go through several characters to get one
that can survive for awhile.

How about this: Can the default quality squelch settings be set to
"bad" instead of "none"? That alone would save a lot of resetting if
you burn through characters. I don't know of any downside to setting
them to "bad" by default (although someone out there might come up
with one). I certainly don't have any use for any "bad" items. Maybe
this could be a new birth option? Some people might even want to set
the default squelch setting to "average" or even higher.

Thanks for listening and responding.

Eddie Grove

Oct 19, 2009, 7:22:15 PM10/19/09
Just a User <chanc...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 17, 7:11 pm, Eddie Grove <eddiegr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > There were too many bug reports from people saving and reloading squelch
> > settings without realizing it, so squelch in prf files was removed.
> >
> > Squelch settings are reset at birth.
> >
> > I think there is an open ticket to try to create some way to load sets of
> > items to squelch, but I'd guess that is low priority and unlikely to happen in
> > the next year.  There might have been a plan to redo prf files entirely, and
> > if so that has to wait until someone figures out the right way to do things.
> >
> > Eddie
>
> Fair enough. I would like to request that the option to save separate
> squelch options be given serious consideration. There are a _lot_ of
> squelch settings (even more now that quality squelch settings have
> been broken down further) and it is quite a bit of work to reset them
> every time, especially if you go through several characters to get one
> that can survive for awhile.

I am sure there are people who agree with you. I'm just not into prf files,
so you'll have to find someone else to do the work. The maintainer is on
hiatus, so things are more disorganized than usual.

> How about this: Can the default quality squelch settings be set to
> "bad" instead of "none"? That alone would save a lot of resetting if
> you burn through characters. I don't know of any downside to setting
> them to "bad" by default (although someone out there might come up
> with one). I certainly don't have any use for any "bad" items. Maybe
> this could be a new birth option? Some people might even want to set
> the default squelch setting to "average" or even higher.

Personally, I am much more likely to use bad items than average ones.
In other words, by the time I am ready to squelch platemail of -1 to AC
or a maul -1 to damage, I am typically ready to squelch all good items
in the class above a certain weight. Unfortunately incorporating weight
isn't in there yet either. That's where I am more likely to spend time
coding.

This is not a satisfactory answer, but why don't you try squelching as you go
using the 'k' command? The advantage is that if you die quickly, you never
need to squelch junk you didn't see before you died. I burn through a lot of
chars and it works for me. It's not what you want, but you might find it to
be barely adequate.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Oct 20, 2009, 1:34:24 AM10/20/09
Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.com> writes:

> In other words, by the time I am ready to squelch platemail of -1 to AC
> or a maul -1 to damage, I am typically ready to squelch all good items

I should have meant squelch all average.

Just a User

Oct 20, 2009, 4:24:06 PM10/20/09
On Oct 19, 7:22 pm, Eddie Grove <eddiegr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Just a User <chance2...@gmail.com> writes:

[ ... Snippy ...]

> > How about this: Can the default quality squelch settings be set to
> > "bad" instead of "none"? That alone would save a lot of resetting if
> > you burn through characters. I don't know of any downside to setting
> > them to "bad" by default (although someone out there might come up
> > with one). I certainly don't have any use for any "bad" items. Maybe
> > this could be a new birth option? Some people might even want to set
> > the default squelch setting to "average" or even higher.
>
> Personally, I am much more likely to use bad items than average ones.
> In other words, by the time I am ready to squelch platemail of -1 to AC
> or a maul -1 to damage, I am typically ready to squelch all good items
> in the class above a certain weight.  Unfortunately incorporating weight
> isn't in there yet either.  That's where I am more likely to spend time
> coding.

That is interesting. I know you like to do a lot of Ironman, fast
diving, etc. so you might use items differently. Myself, I am a
compulsive seller/shopper so I just buy good armor when I see it and
enchant it up if I feel like it.

> This is not a satisfactory answer, but why don't you try squelching as you go
> using the 'k' command?  The advantage is that if you die quickly, you never
> need to squelch junk you didn't see before you died.  I burn through a lot of
> chars and it works for me.  It's not what you want, but you might find it to
> be barely adequate.
>
> Eddie

Actually, it would be ^D for me... I am a roguelike user. :-) I might
just look at the code and see how hard it would be to tweak the
starting quality squelch myself. Of course that still leaves me
manually squelching useless scrolls/potions, but at least it would be
a good start. Thanks for your responses.

Just a User

Oct 20, 2009, 4:43:39 PM10/20/09

Hey this was easy! Just went into squelch.c, looked in
squelch_birth_init, and changed squelch_level[i] = 0 to squelch_level
[i] = 1. Tested with a new char and worked like a charm. I guess I'll
stop complaining now.

Andi Sidwell

Dec 29, 2009, 4:49:38 PM12/29/09
On 2009-10-19 21:55, Just a User wrote:
> How about this: Can the default quality squelch settings be set to
> "bad" instead of "none"? That alone would save a lot of resetting if
> you burn through characters. I don't know of any downside to setting
> them to "bad" by default (although someone out there might come up
> with one). I certainly don't have any use for any "bad" items. Maybe
> this could be a new birth option? Some people might even want to set
> the default squelch setting to "average" or even higher.

Suggestion noted and bug filed, thanks.