question about Eddie Grove's patch

will_asher

Feb 2, 2008, 4:01:09 PM2/2/08
Eddie, is it possible without a lot of trouble to apply your patch to other
variants?
If so, how can I do it?

--
Will_Asher

Don't like fighting a monster known only as an "icky thing"? -Play DaJAngband
http://www.geocities.com/will_asher/MonsterDictionary/DaJAngband.htm

pete m

Feb 2, 2008, 4:44:53 PM2/2/08
On Feb 2, 1:01 pm, will_asher <will_as...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --
> Will_Asher
>
> Don't like fighting a monster known only as an "icky thing"?

I think icky things are a fine name. It's too bad there aren't more
monsters with funny names, although Steamband is an honorable
exception.

--
- Ugh the Adventurer, Level 2. Killed by a Chicken.

Eddie Grove

Feb 2, 2008, 4:59:47 PM2/2/08
will_asher <will_...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Eddie, is it possible without a lot of trouble to apply your patch to other
> variants?
> If so, how can I do it?

(1) It is not ready yet. What I released is more of a "this can be done"
rather than "this is how it should be done". I have only just reached the
point where I know how everything should be done, and mostly I did it wrong
the first time.

(2) I wrote everything using the construct

#ifdef EFG
do it my way
#else
the original V code
#endif

So you can search for EFG, and find everything I changed, and exactly what I
replaced to do it. In principle each block should have a comment such as
/* EFGchange allow squelch unaware objects */ saying what it does, but no
guarantees on that. Comments with ??? are places I knew what I did was wrong.

You would have to go through each change and port it to the new variant. If a
given file in a variant is identical to the same file in V, then it would be
safe just to replace the file with my patched file, but I doubt that will
happen often.

I hope to get most of the squelching changes incorporated in squelch.c so that
simply replacing that file will do most of the work on squelch, but the
reality is that there are dozens of changes all over the place elsewhere.
Each little info output change, such as adding "(unaware)" in the store lists,
is just another bit of code added somewhere. There is no global update
procedure I can think of.

Hopefully I will get half of the stuff incorporated into V proper some day,
and maybe I can convince Andrew to put some more into an option. Then if
variant maintainers re-synchronize as V changes, things will trickle through,
but it will be a long process however it goes.

Under no circumstances should any sane person be porting the first release of
my patch. The next release will be far better in terms of functionality and
in terms of code, and will be sufficiently different that much of the work
porting the initial code would be wasted. If there are one or two things you
want right away you could search for them, but otherwise it is better to wait.

Eddie

will_asher

Feb 3, 2008, 2:14:54 AM2/3/08
On 2008-02-02 22:59:47, Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> will_asher writes:
>
> > Eddie, is it possible without a lot of trouble to apply your patch to other
> > variants?
> > If so, how can I do it?
>
> (1) It is not ready yet. What I released is more of a "this can be done"
> rather than "this is how it should be done". I have only just reached the
> point where I know how everything should be done, and mostly I did it wrong
> the first time.

> I hope to get most of the squelching changes incorporated in squelch.c so that
> simply replacing that file will do most of the work on squelch, but the
> reality is that there are dozens of changes all over the place elsewhere.
> Each little info output change, such as adding "(unaware)" in the store lists,
> is just another bit of code added somewhere. There is no global update
> procedure I can think of.
>
> Hopefully I will get half of the stuff incorporated into V proper some day,
> and maybe I can convince Andrew to put some more into an option. Then if
> variant maintainers re-synchronize as V changes, things will trickle through,
> but it will be a long process however it goes.
>
> Under no circumstances should any sane person be porting the first release of
> my patch. The next release will be far better in terms of functionality and
> in terms of code, and will be sufficiently different that much of the work
> porting the initial code would be wasted. If there are one or two things you
> want right away you could search for them, but otherwise it is better to wait.

Ok, I'll wait for next release then.
I kinda hope the not selling to shops thing doesn't get into vanilla except as
an option. Even though I like playing without being able to sell to shops, I
feel like playing with selling to shops sometimes also (that's why I made it a
birth option in DaJAngband). It's different playing styles, and I like the new
one but I think the old one should remain available.

--
Will_Asher

Do YOU know what a yeek is?? I don't. -Play DaJAngband
http://www.geocities.com/will_asher/MonsterDictionary/DaJAngband.htm

Eddie Grove

Feb 3, 2008, 5:57:26 AM2/3/08
will_asher <will_...@yahoo.com> writes:

> I kinda hope the not selling to shops thing doesn't get into vanilla except as
> an option. Even though I like playing without being able to sell to shops, I
> feel like playing with selling to shops sometimes also (that's why I made it a
> birth option in DaJAngband). It's different playing styles, and I like the new
> one but I think the old one should remain available.

I don't think you have to worry about that becoming standard V in the
forseeable future. I can't imagine that my proselytizing could be that
effective. The question will be whether it should even be an option.

Eddie