[YACD][V] mage again

1 view

Matthew Vernon

Jul 7, 2008, 2:22:05 PM7/7/08

Well, I've been diving (by my standards!), and have again hit
inventory limit (and an unwillingness to abandon artifacts!). Should
Carlammas replace my regen amulet? I find regen quite routinely
useful, and I'm not sure +2 CON is worth writing home about. I'd be
inclined to sell most of the bottom of my invetory (except the seeker
bolts), and Galadriel, Isildur, the robe of elvenkind, the leather
scale mail, and Thengel.

Thanks for the ongoing help :-)

[Angband 3.0.5 Character Dump]

Name Matthew Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 125 STR! 18/100 +1 -5 +4 18/100
Race High-Elf Height 80 INT! 18/100 +3 +3 +6 18/220
Class Mage Weight 167 WIS! 18/100 -1 +0 +2 18/110
Title Warlock Status 41 DEX! 18/100 +3 +1 +8 18/220
HP 434/434 Maximize Y CON: 18/96 +1 -2 +2 18/106
SP 306/306 Preserve Y CHR! 18/100 +5 +1 +0 18/160

Level 39 Armor [32,+74] Saving Throw Heroic
Cur Exp 2112811 Fight (+20,+6) Stealth Excellent
Max Exp 2112811 Melee (+29,+15) Fighting Heroic
Adv Exp 2300000 Shoot (+31,+19) Shooting Heroic
MaxDepth Lev 52 Blows 4/turn Disarming Superb
Gold 677352 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Legendary
Perception Good
Burden 146.7 lbs Infra 40 ft Searching Fair

You are one of several children of a Telerin Archer. You have light
grey eyes, straight black hair, and a fair complexion.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:......+.+.... Blind:.........+...
Elec:......+.+.... Confu:......+......
Fire:......+.+.... Sound:......+......
Cold:......+.+.... Shard:.............
Pois:..+.......... Nexus:........+....
Fear:......+...... Nethr:.............
Lite:.....+......+ Chaos:.............
Dark:.....+....... Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:........+....
Feath:............. Sear.:.............
PLite:............. Infra:.............
Regen:....+........ Tunn.:.............
Telep:.........+... Speed:...........+.
Invis:+....+......+ Blows:.............
FrAct:+............ Shots:.............
HLife:.....+....... Might:.............

[Character Equipment]

a) a Broad Sword of Westernesse (2d5) (+9,+9) (+2)
It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 2. It slays
orcs, trolls, and giants. It grants you immunity to paralysis and the
ability to see invisible things.
b) a Heavy Crossbow of Power (x4) (+11,+19)
c) a Rhodonite Ring of Resist Poison
It provides resistance to poison.
d) a Bloodstone Ring of Intelligence (+4)
It increases your intelligence by 4. It sustains your intelligence.
e) a Pewter Amulet of Regeneration
It speeds your regeneration.
f) The Arkenstone of Thrain
It provides resistance to light, dark, and life draining. It lights
the dungeon around you. It grants you the ability to see invisible
things. It activates for detection every 30+d30 turns. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.
g) The Metal Brigandine Armour of the Rohirrim [19,+15] (+2)
It increases your strength and dexterity by 2. It provides resistance
to acid, lightning, fire, cold, fear, confusion, and sound. It cannot
be harmed by the elements.
h) a Cloak [1,+6]
i) a Small Metal Shield of Elvenkind [3,+15] (+2 to stealth)
It increases your stealth by 2. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and nexus. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

j) The Hard Leather Cap of Thranduil [2,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It provides resistance
to blindness. It grants you the power of telepathy. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.
k) a Set of Leather Gloves of Agility [1,+6] (+4)
It increases your dexterity by 4.
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots of Speed [6,+7] (+4)
It increases your speed by 4.

[Character Inventory]

a) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners]
b) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {25% off}
c) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions]
d) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations]
e) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices]
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
f) a Book of Magic Spells [Raal's Tome of Destruction]
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
g) a Book of Magic Spells [Mordenkainen's Escapes]
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
h) a Book of Magic Spells [Kelek's Grimoire of Power]
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
i) 11 Dark Green Mushrooms of Restoring
j) 2 Yellow Speckled Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
k) 4 Yellow Potions of Healing
l) 2 Brown Speckled Potions of Restore Life Levels
m) 2 Scrolls titled "fritox nelgsat" of *Identify*
n) a Scroll titled "odag der" of *Destruction*
o) a Nickel-Plated Rod of Detection
It cannot be harmed by electricity.
p) a Lead Rod of Probing
q) a Nickel Rod of Restoration
It cannot be harmed by electricity.
r) a Ruby Ring of Damage (+14)
s) The Amulet of Carlammas (+2)
It increases your constitution by 2. It provides resistance to fire.
It activates for protection from evil every 225+d225 turns. It cannot
be harmed by the elements.
t) a Driftwood Amulet of Trickery (+3)
It increases your dexterity by 3. It increases your stealth, searching,
infravision, and speed by 3. It provides resistance to poison and
nexus. It sustains your dexterity.
u) The Set of Gauntlets 'Paurhach' [2,+15]
It provides resistance to fire. It speeds your regeneration. It
activates for fire bolt (9d8) every 8+d8 turns. It cannot be harmed by
the elements.
v) 15 Bolts of Wounding (1d5) (+8,+14)
w) 23 Seeker Bolts (4d5) (+8,+4)

[Home Inventory]

a) 4 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners]
b) 7 Books of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {25% off}
c) 7 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions]
d) 13 Books of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations]
e) a Book of Magic Spells [Tenser's Transformations]
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
f) a Hazy Potion of *Healing*
g) 3 Brown Speckled Potions of Restore Life Levels
h) a Moonstone Ring of Free Action
It grants you immunity to paralysis.
i) a Garnet Ring of Strength (+6)
It increases your strength by 6. It sustains your strength.
j) a Marble Ring of Constitution (+4)
It increases your constitution by 4. It sustains your constitution.
k) a Dragon Tooth Amulet of Sustenance
It provides resistance to life draining. It sustains all your stats.
It slows your metabolism. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
l) The Jewel 'Evenstar'
It provides resistance to cold, dark, and life draining. It sustains
your intelligence, wisdom, and constitution. It activates for restore
life levels every 150 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
m) The Phial of Galadriel
It lights the dungeon around you. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
It might have hidden powers.
n) The Star of Elendil
It lights the dungeon around you. It grants you the ability to see
invisible things. It activates for magic mapping every 50+d50 turns.
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
o) The Full Plate Armour of Isildur [25,+25] (+1)
It increases your constitution by 1. It cannot be harmed by the
elements. It might have hidden powers.
p) The Mithril Plate Mail of Celeborn (-3) [35,+25] (+4)
It increases your strength and charisma by 4. It cannot be harmed by
the elements. It might have hidden powers.
q) a Robe of Elvenkind [2,+13] (+3 to stealth)
It increases your stealth by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and poison. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
r) Soft Leather Armour of Elvenkind [4,+15] (+1 to stealth)
It increases your stealth by 1. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and nether. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
s) Leather Scale Mail of Elvenkind (-1) [11,+12] (+3 to stealth)
It increases your stealth by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and confusion. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
t) a Jewel Encrusted Crown of the Magi [0,+9] (+3)
It increases your intelligence by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, and cold. It sustains your intelligence. It grants
you the power of telepathy. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
u) The Metal Cap of Thengel [3,+12] (+3)
It increases your wisdom and charisma by 3. It provides resistance to
confusion. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
v) The Steel Helm of Hammerhand [6,+20] (+3)
It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 3. It
cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have hidden powers.
w) a Set of Gauntlets of Free Action [2,+7]
It grants you immunity to paralysis.
x) The Glaive of Pain (9d6) (+7,+30)
It provides resistance to fear. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org

powera

Jul 7, 2008, 4:42:52 PM7/7/08
With Kelek's and (Mass) Banishment, you are nearly invulnerable, once
you get some speed and 550 HP. Trickery gets you to +7, which may be
enough; and +4 CON may get you to 550HP.

> i) 11 Dark Green Mushrooms of Restoring
> j) 2 Yellow Speckled Potions of Cure Critical Wounds

With blindness/confusion/sound covered, you only really need these for
HP recovery. Pretty soon, you may want to stick to carrying Healing
for battles with uniques/good drop monsters.

> k) 4 Yellow Potions of Healing
> l) 2 Brown Speckled Potions of Restore Life Levels
> m) 2 Scrolls titled "fritox nelgsat" of *Identify*
> n) a Scroll titled "odag der" of *Destruction*
> o) a Nickel-Plated Rod of Detection
>    It cannot be harmed by electricity.
> p) a Lead Rod of Probing
> q) a Nickel Rod of Restoration
>    It cannot be harmed by electricity.
> r) a Ruby Ring of Damage (+14)

Leave in home, but you'll likely never wear; odds are CON, Speed, or
Elven rings will be more useful throughout.

> s) The Amulet of Carlammas (+2)
>    It increases your constitution by 2.  It provides resistance to fire.
>    It activates for protection from evil every 225+d225 turns.  It cannot
>    be harmed by the elements.

Dump ... +2 CON from an amulet is sometimes useful, but I don't think
it will be here.

> t) a Driftwood Amulet of Trickery (+3)
>    It increases your dexterity by 3.  It increases your stealth, searching,
>    infravision, and speed by 3.  It provides resistance to poison and
>    nexus.  It sustains your dexterity.

Wear this. +3 speed alone is probably worth it alone at this point,
freeing up a ring for +4 CON is more valuable that Carlammas will ever
be as well.

> u) The Set of Gauntlets 'Paurhach' [2,+15]
>    It provides resistance to fire.  It speeds your regeneration.  It
>    activates for fire bolt (9d8) every 8+d8 turns.  It cannot be harmed by
>    the elements.

Sell this, of course.

> v) 15 Bolts of Wounding (1d5) (+8,+14)
> w) 23 Seeker Bolts (4d5) (+8,+4)
>
>   [Home Inventory]
>
> a) 4 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners]
> b) 7 Books of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {25% off}
> c) 7 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions]
> d) 13 Books of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations]
> e) a Book of Magic Spells [Tenser's Transformations]
>    It cannot be harmed by the elements.
> f) a Hazy Potion of *Healing*
> g) 3 Brown Speckled Potions of Restore Life Levels
> h) a Moonstone Ring of Free Action
>    It grants you immunity to paralysis.

Dump ... you'll never wear this.

> i) a Garnet Ring of Strength (+6)
>    It increases your strength by 6.  It sustains your strength.
> j) a Marble Ring of Constitution (+4)
>    It increases your constitution by 4.  It sustains your constitution.
> k) a Dragon Tooth Amulet of Sustenance
>    It provides resistance to life draining.  It sustains all your stats.
>    It slows your metabolism.  It cannot be harmed by the elements.

Dump ... you have the robe of permanence

> l) The Jewel 'Evenstar'
>    It provides resistance to cold, dark, and life draining.  It sustains
>    your intelligence, wisdom, and constitution.  It activates for restore
>    life levels every 150 turns.  It cannot be harmed by the elements.

A likely candidate to get rid off ... not really better than an amulet
of devotion.

> m) The Phial of Galadriel
>    It lights the dungeon around you.  It cannot be harmed by the elements.
>    It might have hidden powers.

Dump ... you need book 1, so it's worthless.

> n) The Star of Elendil
>    It lights the dungeon around you.  It grants you the ability to see
>    invisible things.  It activates for magic mapping every 50+d50 turns.
>    It cannot be harmed by the elements.
> o) The Full Plate Armour of Isildur [25,+25] (+1)
>    It increases your constitution by 1.  It cannot be harmed by the
>    elements.  It might have hidden powers.
> p) The Mithril Plate Mail of Celeborn (-3) [35,+25] (+4)
>    It increases your strength and charisma by 4.  It cannot be harmed by
>    the elements.  It might have hidden powers.
> q) a Robe of Elvenkind [2,+13] (+3 to stealth)
>    It increases your stealth by 3.  It provides resistance to acid,
>    lightning, fire, cold, and poison.  It cannot be harmed by the
>    elements.
> r) Soft Leather Armour of Elvenkind [4,+15] (+1 to stealth)
>    It increases your stealth by 1.  It provides resistance to acid,
>    lightning, fire, cold, and nether.  It cannot be harmed by the
>    elements.
> s) Leather Scale Mail of Elvenkind (-1) [11,+12] (+3 to stealth)
>    It increases your stealth by 3.  It provides resistance to acid,
>    lightning, fire, cold, and confusion.  It cannot be harmed by the
>    elements.

Dump, Rohirrim is better, the stealth is never going to be worth it.

> t) a Jewel Encrusted Crown of the Magi [0,+9] (+3)
>    It increases your intelligence by 3.  It provides resistance to acid,
>    lightning, fire, and cold.  It sustains your intelligence.  It grants
>    you the power of telepathy.  It cannot be harmed by the elements.
> u) The Metal Cap of Thengel [3,+12] (+3)
>    It increases your wisdom and charisma by 3.  It provides resistance to
>    confusion.  It cannot be harmed by the elements.
> v) The Steel Helm of Hammerhand [6,+20] (+3)
>    It increases your strength, dexterity, and constitution by 3.  It
>    cannot be harmed by the elements.  It might have hidden powers.
> w) a Set of Gauntlets of Free Action [2,+7]
>    It grants you immunity to paralysis.

I would wear this instead of the agility gloves if you swap your other
Free Action sources; +4 dex isn't that important. Cambeleg/Fingolfin
would solve your handwear issues nicely.

Eddie Grove

Jul 7, 2008, 3:58:16 PM7/7/08
Matthew Vernon <mat...@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Well, I've been diving (by my standards!), and have again hit
> inventory limit (and an unwillingness to abandon artifacts!). Should
> Carlammas replace my regen amulet? I find regen quite routinely
> useful, and I'm not sure +2 CON is worth writing home about. I'd be
> inclined to sell most of the bottom of my invetory (except the seeker
> bolts), and Galadriel, Isildur, the robe of elvenkind, the leather
> scale mail, and Thengel.

CON is a big deal, even 2 points of it.

One thing to consider is how often you need all 300 SP. Could you get by with
225? That depends upon your playstyle. You could get regen from Paurhach.

If you run out of mana, you can read a scroll or two to reset.
If you run out of hp ...

> t) a Driftwood Amulet of Trickery (+3)
> It increases your dexterity by 3. It increases your stealth, searching,
> infravision, and speed by 3. It provides resistance to poison and
> nexus. It sustains your dexterity.

That would let you wear a con ring instead of =rPoison.

> u) The Set of Gauntlets 'Paurhach' [2,+15]
> It provides resistance to fire. It speeds your regeneration. It
> activates for fire bolt (9d8) every 8+d8 turns. It cannot be harmed by
> the elements.

> j) a Marble Ring of Constitution (+4)

> It increases your constitution by 4. It sustains your constitution.

+4 is better than +2.

> k) a Dragon Tooth Amulet of Sustenance

You'll never use it, and if somehow you want it, you will find another.

> m) The Phial of Galadriel
> It lights the dungeon around you. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
> It might have hidden powers.
> n) The Star of Elendil
> It lights the dungeon around you. It grants you the ability to see
> invisible things. It activates for magic mapping every 50+d50 turns.
> It cannot be harmed by the elements.

IMO one artifact light is enough. Choose one and toss the rest.

> r) Soft Leather Armour of Elvenkind [4,+15] (+1 to stealth)
> It increases your stealth by 1. It provides resistance to acid,
> lightning, fire, cold, and nether. It cannot be harmed by the
> elements.

The body armor slot is too valuable for just rNether.

> s) Leather Scale Mail of Elvenkind (-1) [11,+12] (+3 to stealth)
> It increases your stealth by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
> lightning, fire, cold, and confusion. It cannot be harmed by the
> elements.

Others beat that.

Eddie

Matthew Vernon

Jul 7, 2008, 5:16:40 PM7/7/08
Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.com> writes:

> One thing to consider is how often you need all 300 SP. Could you
> get by with 225? That depends upon your playstyle. You could get
> regen from Paurhach.

Not uncommonly, actually. I never manage to hang on to a stockpile of
!restoremana, especially when faced with uniques.

Thanks for your comments :)

Matthew