YASWTD

pete m

Feb 29, 2008, 5:43:10 PM2/29/08
So I there I was, rapidly approaching 1500' without Free Action, as is
often the case.
And I ran into a group of orcs, coming around the corner.
First a bunch of black orcs...
You hit the Black orc<4x>
The black orc dies.
Then a bunch of light blue orcs.
You hit the Uruk<4x>.
The Uruk dies.
Then their boss, the orange orc:
You hit the Carrion Crawler<4x>
The Carrion Crawler hits you.

Roger

Feb 29, 2008, 5:58:38 PM2/29/08
> Then their boss, the orange orc:
> You hit the Carrion Crawler<4x>
> The Carrion Crawler hits you.

I actually laughed out loud at that one.

djabanete

Feb 29, 2008, 5:56:40 PM2/29/08
> Then a bunch of light blue orcs.
> You hit the Uruk.

> The Uruk dies.
> Then their boss, the orange orc:
> You hit the Carrion Crawler
> The Carrion Crawler hits you.

Bummer!

You know, I suppose one could interact with the visuals and make all paralyzing
monsters appear as pink N's or something, and then reset visuals after getting
FA...

Timo Pietilä

Feb 29, 2008, 6:30:27 PM2/29/08

Ditto. :-D

Timo Pietilä

Magnate

Feb 29, 2008, 8:26:36 PM2/29/08

Mine was more like a groan.

CC

Eddie Grove

Mar 1, 2008, 12:34:26 AM3/1/08
pete m <pma...@yahoo.com> writes:

Hilarious, but merely careless.

My stupidest death required a more proactive approach. I think this was in
[S]. I wanted to test something I was guessing was poison, perhaps a mushroom
about the time evenomation shows up. I check my pack. No !neutralizePoison,
no !CCW [if that would have helped]. However, I was clever enough to save
!saltWater. I felt so smug.

I tested the item, got poisoned badly enough to die, and quafedf !saltWater
according to plan. Then I pressed 'E', but there are no choices available!.
I recalled, but died before I could reach food in the town.

Eddie

Matthew Vernon

Mar 3, 2008, 5:27:24 AM3/3/08
pete m <pma...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Then their boss, the orange orc:
> You hit the Carrion Crawler<4x>
> The Carrion Crawler hits you.

Whups :)

Matthew

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org

Timo Pietilä

Mar 3, 2008, 6:06:17 AM3/3/08
Matthew Vernon wrote:
> pete m <pma...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Then their boss, the orange orc:
>> You hit the Carrion Crawler<4x>
>> The Carrion Crawler hits you.
>
> Whups :)
>
> Matthew

I just lost one of the good divers to Kavlax in the same manner. Kill
bunch of orcs. Multi-hued dragon appears, cast resist cold and fire.

Kavlax breathes gravity -more-
(slowed, teleported into middle of the room full of nasties, stunned)
You die -more-

Timo Pietilä

Matthew Vernon

Mar 4, 2008, 5:37:23 AM3/4/08
Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> writes:

> Kavlax breathes gravity -more-
> (slowed, teleported into middle of the room full of nasties, stunned)
> You die -more-

Gravity things always give me the fear, since AFAICT you can't resist
the teleportation or slowing effects. Aside from only fighting gravity
breathers in isolation, what should you do to avoid messy ends?

Timo Pietilä

Mar 4, 2008, 6:11:55 AM3/4/08
Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> writes:
>
>> Kavlax breathes gravity -more-
>> (slowed, teleported into middle of the room full of nasties, stunned)
>> You die -more-
>
> Gravity things always give me the fear, since AFAICT you can't resist
> the teleportation or slowing effects. Aside from only fighting gravity
> breathers in isolation, what should you do to avoid messy ends?

Basically just avoid gravity breathers. If I had known that that
multihued d was Kavlax I would have teleported away immediately.

Timo Pietilä

Matthew Vernon

Mar 4, 2008, 10:28:17 AM3/4/08
Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> writes:

> Basically just avoid gravity breathers. If I had known that that
> multihued d was Kavlax I would have teleported away immediately.

Ah, I see. Leave Kavlax until you're very tooled up and he's a
push-over? :)

pete m

Mar 4, 2008, 2:22:40 PM3/4/08
On Mar 4, 7:28 am, Matthew Vernon <matt...@debian.org> wrote:

> Timo Pietilä <timo.piet...@helsinki.fi> writes:
> > Basically just avoid gravity breathers. If I had known that that
> > multihued d was Kavlax I would have teleported away immediately.
>
> Ah, I see. Leave Kavlax until you're very tooled up and he's a
> push-over? :)

Absolutely.

Eddie Grove

Mar 4, 2008, 2:07:55 PM3/4/08
pete m <pma...@yahoo.com> writes:

That applies to all uniques. In addition, if you don't know whether a unique
is a pushover or not, you should not engage it until, say, the third time you
encounter it in a single game. That will help you avoid death to out-of-depth
uniques. It's may also be wise against in-depth uniques.

back to the YASWTD thread:

I lost a recent char to the 'l'ook command. I guess there is a bug in the
messages that do not display -more- but still demand a keypress before you
move on. Huan breathed from offscreen, I went to 'l'ook to see where he was,
and I guess the 'l' got gobbled up clearing the message somehow, and when I
pressed a direction key instead of scrolling I moved and he breathed again to
kill me.

Eddie

Timo Pietilä

Mar 4, 2008, 3:15:42 PM3/4/08
Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> writes:
>
>> Basically just avoid gravity breathers. If I had known that that
>> multihued d was Kavlax I would have teleported away immediately.
>
> Ah, I see. Leave Kavlax until you're very tooled up and he's a
> push-over? :)

Exactly. Greed is number one killer in angband. If you can remember that
there is only two creatures you _must_ kill, and nothing you absolutely
must have _just that moment_, then you survive much longer.

Now, with preserve off things change slightly. If I see "plain gold
ring" somewhere I would take some risk in order to grab it. Not suicide,
but slight chance to die.

Timo Pietilä

pete m

Mar 4, 2008, 4:39:45 PM3/4/08
On Mar 4, 11:07 am, Eddie Grove <eddiegr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Bummer! If there's a monster nearby I tend to hit the space-bar in an
OCD-kind of way. I lost way too many early characters to riding the
movement keys, so the space-bar is burned into muscle-memory.

Martin Bazley

Mar 8, 2008, 2:14:11 PM3/8/08
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, the words of
Timo Pietilä filtered slowly through the cosmos...

I killed Kavlax in NPP once, but not before noticing that he had been
changed to a 'M'ulti-Headed Reptile instead of a 'd'ragon.

Maybe that might help avoid that sort of confusion in the future?

--
__<^>__ I thought DFS was a brand of sofa until I discovered the Beeb.
/ _¬ ¬_ \ Posted by Martin Bazley from British technology.