an example final fight [V]

Eddie Grove

Jan 4, 2005, 12:57:35 AM1/4/05

I am not saying that I have it down yet, but I am getting better
at beating Morgoth with fewer resources. A couple of people seem
to be having more trouble than I would expect, so here goes.

This is for fighters.

(1) You definitely want to be hasted, bless/chant/prayered, and
have heroism. If you can manage it, berserk too, though that is
less important. Get as many immunities and double-resists as
is feasible.

(2) Don't heal where he can hit you. Phase first. Preferably you
have enough hitpoints so that you can phase when you have more than
600 [so if you land in his LOS he can't waste you immediately] while
simultaneously down 300+ [so you get full benefit from !heal].
If you drop below 600, depending on the circumstances it might be
right to !Life without phasing.

(3) You can use wands/staves if you carry a supply of recharge
scrolls. First phase, then recharge, then use it up before he
tracks you down.

(4) The summons are not so horrible. You phase, and run away,
and when Morgoth catches up with you the summonees may take
a while to catch up.

Here is a summary of my last battle vs Morgoth. I do not include any
times I simply moved to get to a better tactical position.

Swing means 8 blows with Haradekket. Fire means to fire an
arrow of slayEvil, usually when Morgoth is a knight's move away.

Eddie

--------------

I repeatedly <> until I find an orcpit, and wait for Morgoth nearby.
I !speed, !hero, and ?chant. I drop _heal with one charge on the floor.

swing - he crushes me
swing - he summons monsters
swing - he hits me
?phase ; drop _heal, ?recharge it ; use it twice
swing - summons special including Mim and Draugluin
?phase
swing - netherball
use final _heal charge so he cannot drain it ; hits me
swing - summons undead including Hoarmurath and the Witch-king
?phase
fire
swing - he summons monsters
DOWN TO 9 *'s
swing - he crushes me
?phase
!heal
-tOther the Witch-King
swing - he hits me
?phase
fire
swing - summons special including Feagwath and Qlzqqlzuup
?phase
fire
DOWN TO 8 *'s
swing - netherball
?phase
swing - he crushes me
!heal
swing - he hits me
?phase
fire
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
?phase
-tOther Feagwath
Draugluin summons gravityHounds
?massBanish
-tOther Mim
!*HEAL
?phase
fire
swing - he hits me
fire
DOWN TO 7 *'s
swing - manabolt
?phase
-tOther Draulguin
?recharge
_heal
fire
?phase
?chant
!hero
fire
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
?phase
?recharge ; _heal ; _heal
swing - manabolt
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
DOWN TO 6 *'s
_heal from staff I am standing on - manabolt
swing - he hits me
?phase
activate soulkeeper
fire
swing - summons special including Lungorthin
?phase
!speed
swing - manastorm
?phase
!*HEAL
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
DOWN TO 5 *'s
swing - he hits me
?phase - summons special including Thuringwethil
?phase
?phase - biledemon breathes gas -- almost die -- !!! forgot to activate Colluin
?phase
?phase
!LIFE
activate Colluin
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
swing - he summons undead
swing - he hits me
swing - he summons demons
swing - he hits me
DOWN TO 4 *'s
!heal
swing - he hits me
?phase
activate palantir
swing - he summons undead including a reaver
?phase * 3
swing - he looks into my eyes - and sees his death
swing - he misses me
swing - manabolt
?phase
?recharge ; _heal off the ground
swing - summons dragons
?phase
-tOther reaver and a few others in line
?phase
?massbanish
-tOther Hoarmurath
?recharge
_heal
?phase
?phase - summons special including queenant
swing - manabolt
DOWN TO 3 *'s
swing - he hits me
_heal off the ground ; he hits me
swing - he hits me
swing - summons monsters
swing - he looks into my eyes - and sees his death
swing - he hits me
?phase
!heal
swing - he hits me
swing - he misses me
swing - he hits me
DOWN TO 2 *'s
swing - he hits me
swing - he summons undead
?phase
?banish W
!heal
-tOther Thuringwethil
?phase a few times
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
swing - he hits me
?phase ; !*HEAL
fire
swing - he hits me
DOWN TO 1 *
?phase
-tOther elderVampire
swing - summons dragons
?phase
?banish D
!speed
swing - he summons undead
swing - he summons special, but no room for them I guess
swing - he crushes me
?phase
!LIFE
-tOther elderVampire
?phase
swing - he summons undead
fire
?phase
-tOther vampireLord
?phase
swing - VICTORY

geoff...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2005, 8:10:13 AM1/4/05

I am sure that this will come in handy for those having problems.

A couple of things I would like to add for fighters, if I may.

1) Choose a weapon light enough that you get the extra warrior attack.
For example the Great Axe of Durin would have 6 at 23lb, yet a heavier
weapon would only have 5. Have to do the sums of course, but worth
considering.
2) Dont worry too much about trying to keep your distance from Morgoth
if you have a very high AC. Last time with Morgoth I had an AC of 230
or so and the damage was less of an issue than you would think. Once
he does hit you then the earthquake effect is actually quite useful -
it prevents line of sight for the summons in most cases. So dont panic
when he messes the level up. (for those 'old' people among us, you may
remember that if the earthquake created a square over you you instadied
- now that was harsh, and no longer happens).
3) Use your best asset (HP). Particularly if you have a big base HP -
eg if you are a half troll with 1300hp+ or so. (I presume Eddie's post
was with a fairly low base HP due to being a hobbit) With high hp you
can get two or three rounds in before healing. The problems with
Morgoth come if all you are able to do is heal all the time - you need
to find a mechanism where you are hurting him in between your healing
episodes. Dont be scared to stand toe to toe and heal - running and
resting just results in seeing him reappear with max hp.
4) My preferred tactic is to teleport rather than phase, that way
Morgoth follows (he has a huge detect range) but the other monsters
tend to get left behind, of course you have to kill him before the
level gets too overful with D's etc using this technique!
5) Congested levels are your friend - a ruined level (I think that is
the terminology, the one that looks like a large area of *destruction*)
are great for protection against large scale summoning.
6) Build for your completion from the start of the game - I collect and
buy every Berserk Strength, Mushroom of Restoring, *heals* and lifes
from Level 1 to Morgoth for that very reason - and only use them before
then in extreme circumstances.

If all goes well then it can be as straightforward as 5 or so *heals*
or above and maybe a couple of mass banishments. Straight banishments
and teleport others are useful when you are happy with the 'shield' of
monsters he has summoned but selected ones are a nuisance (see : Bile
Demon above!)

Fighters are the safest from a hp perspective - much more 'fun' with
half as many hp as a hobbit mage now that Globe of Invulnerability is
no more...

Just my 2p to add to the 'how to Morgoth as a fighter'.
-Geoff Hill
-yeah that one-

Timo Pietilä

Jan 4, 2005, 8:34:23 AM1/4/05
geoff...@gmail.com wrote:

> 2) Dont worry too much about trying to keep your distance from Morgoth
> if you have a very high AC. Last time with Morgoth I had an AC of 230
> or so and the damage was less of an issue than you would think. Once
> he does hit you then the earthquake effect is actually quite useful -
> it prevents line of sight for the summons in most cases. So dont panic
> when he messes the level up. (for those 'old' people among us, you may
> remember that if the earthquake created a square over you you instadied
> - now that was harsh, and no longer happens).

And IIRC Robert changed code in 3.0.5 so that when earthquake crushes
you and your position changes monsters attack-sequence is stopped and
you wont get two of those in a row anymore. Earlier that could cause
about 800 points of damage in single round. Now around 500 points of
damage is about max damage from melee against Morgoth.

Timo Pietilä

geoff...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2005, 8:41:13 AM1/4/05

The 'old' instadeath was a more painful 'You are crushed by the
ceiling. Segmentation fault. Core dumped' ;-).

Which meant if you saw an impact hound 'RUN!!!!'