Quickband comments.

pete m

Sep 14, 2006, 9:31:41 PM9/14/06
I've been having real fun with this game lately; killing Clear Hounds
at cl 1 is quite a lot of fun. (Current record is CL 15 in 4 minutes.)
I also like that magic devices are good for killing the Bosses. 100+
ranged damage is generally better than any archery attack you are
likely to get.

BUG:
(Left over from old NPP problem) -- monsters with exhausted mana and no
0-mana attacks (breath, missiles, spit) should not sit and wait for you
to kill them. They should either fight or flee. This makes killing
Saruman much easier than it should be. (Not Lurtz, because he has a
heavy missile attack and his only spell is Summon Orcs.)

CLASSES:
* Rogues and Bandits should start with a sling and a few shot. If
there's no sling available, you might as well quit and restart.

* Ranger needs better ID, maybe a little better than Paladin. Priest
maybe does too, though it's not quite so bad for him. There is maybe
1 ranger posted on oook; only a masochist will play Ranger over Rogue.
This is much more crippling in Quickband than ordinarily, because
there are very few "good" drops, you tend to be short of cash for the
entire game, and there just aren't any workarounds the way there are in
a full-length game. (Mass ID, Acid Ball, etc.)

I'm not convinced that the Ranger class even needs to exist, since
Rogue is so similar, and so much more powerful. Even if ID is fixed,
the better STL, HP, DEX, detection, and traps more than makes up for
somewhat better melee and non-utility spells; best ranged damage
depends more on luck than class.

* Mage (and possibly Priest) should take much less EXP. A late-game
Quickband mage is extremely weak when compared with an ordinary 'Band.
Same holds for Priest, since Healing spell is so unreliable.

RACES:
Half-Orc should require significantly more EXP; RDark is a huge
advantage against Saruman. Half-Orc currently has same EXP
requirements as a Human.

SHOPS:
It would be nice if there were a !CCW store service (at ~500GP/flask);
in a fast game it's very likely that you can't buy enough to defeat
Saruman and Lurtz. And the Temple is prohibitively expensive to buy
out.

Adventurer's Guild should be available as a non-default option. A few
quests might make a nice change of pace from one power-dive after
another. However, the quests shouldn't be so optional--they should be
more like ToME Princess quests, which cost $10K to decline.

pete m

Sep 14, 2006, 9:45:50 PM9/14/06
pete m wrote:
[stuff]

And one more thing... Saruman should be worth a lot fewer EXP (maybe
10-15K at cl 30); tripling your total exp when you kill the final boss
really skews the stats on oook. (It's common to go from ~30K exp to
~100K exp, often gaining 2 and occasionally 3 character levels.)

Antoine

Sep 14, 2006, 10:43:17 PM9/14/06

pete m wrote:
> I've been having real fun with this game lately;

[snip]

Thanks for the feedback. Will record in case of a new version later.

Cheers
A.

camlost

Sep 15, 2006, 7:26:37 PM9/15/06

When disarming using 'D#' (as in D then direction) on a pit, It says I
fall in, but I don't move. Is Sangband the only variant where you
actually fall in?

Joshua

Nick McConnell

Sep 16, 2006, 2:38:20 AM9/16/06
On 2006-09-16 01:26:37, camlost <joshua.m...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> When disarming using 'D#' (as in D then direction) on a pit, It says I
> fall in, but I don't move. Is Sangband the only variant where you
> actually fall in?

Also O and FA. Leon's influence, I assume.

Nick.
--
Nick McConnell
FA + "Ooog" DN L:42 DL:57 A+ R++ Sp w:Rog

Twisted

Sep 17, 2006, 9:10:13 AM9/17/06
pete m wrote:
> I'm not convinced that the Ranger class even needs to exist, since
> Rogue is so similar, and so much more powerful. Even if ID is fixed,
> the better STL, HP, DEX, detection, and traps more than makes up for
> somewhat better melee and non-utility spells; best ranged damage
> depends more on luck than class.

STL?

Anyway, maybe the best thing to do is to make the Quickband ranger have
reliable, good damage output with a bow before the game is over? :)