YASD: Don't darken Dwarftown!

Daniel Rutter

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
Spoiler space...

...that'll do.

I finally weakened and spent a few hours playing g10. My dwarven
ranger was doing well, mainly because he found a Halberd of Defense in
the Small Cave (not the FIRST time i've found a kick-ass halberd
there; it always seems to be a HALBERD, for some reason).

But, daftly, I tried out some scrolls in the shop in Dwarftown, trying
to find Identify. I'd had my stuff IDed by the Elder after killing my
first quest animal (a cave lion - good thing I can never be bothered
being nice to the Cat Lord anyway, eh?), but hadn't been carrying a
scroll of ID at the time.

One of the scrolls I tried turned out to be Darkness.

Casting Darkness over the doorway of the Dwarftown shop is a BAD idea,
given that all ADOM characters, even in friendly areas, apprently
flail their weapons around in front of them at all times.

I had a scroll of light, but I couldn't read it in the dark, could I?
So I foolishly fumbled my way into and out of the shop a few times
and, eventually, accidentally thumped a Dwarven Guardian. He followed
me out taking ineffectual swings at my heavily armoured character. I
just stood there and took it, trying to figure out what the heck I was
going to do NOW, because nobody had seen me hit him and so only he
hated me, when another Guardian came over and stopped the fight by
killing his angry colleague.

Great! Problem solved, right?

I wandered down to the temple to do the usual altar-drop dance. When I
came out, I discovered that the Guardian who'd killed the one I'd
angered was now a Bad Boy according to the rest of the town, and
everyone was coming over for a fight. Smack, slap, pound pound pound.
It would appear that anybody who hits a dwarf becomes an enemy to
every other "combat capable" dwarf, and when THEY start fighting they
become enemies too, and the whole joint goes to heck in short order.
This is quite authentic dwarf behaviour, I should think, but aren't
they supposed just to knock each other out and all be friends again in
the morning?

Anyway, after a little while the Priest weighed in and slaughtered all
comers, including the Elder himself. God is Great, taste my mace. When
the foolishness stopped, only the Elder and all of the Guardians and
all of the Dwarfs and Female Dwarfs were dead (I helpfully sacrificed
the corpses!), and nobody hated me. Dwarftown was populated only by
the other special characters and various lost Dwarven Children ("Is
that my daddy you're carrying into the Temple? Are they going to make
him better?" "Uh, yeah, kid. That's the ticket.").

I did nothing else very remarkable for some time, until I accidentally
whacked the shopkeeper in the dark, which I still hadn't got rid of
because I hadn't found one lousy amulet or wand of light. And that was
it for me.

--
Daniel Rutter
Visit http://www.dansdata.com/!

Lmundstock

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
>poiler space...

<The biting and the scratching and the killing with metal teeth and..>

Oh, you think that's bad, do you? Awhile back I got back from the mad carpenter
quest, and felt like talking to the village elder. A child was blocking the
doorway and was quite intent on staying there. I decided to switch places with
the child and so it began. It kept attacking, what was I to do? I can't kill
the blasted thing and I can't leave while under attack! So I run around trying
to lose the little blaggard, when the sheriff decides to intervene on my
behalf, and promptly killed it. But of course, that's never the end...that kid
had a dad, and he was vainly attempting to exact vengeance, which brought more
farmers onto the scene...and Guthalak. 5 farmers died that day. But no, I'm not
finished. Apparently the cute puppy dog never lost its thirst for blood and
joined the fray, Guthalak became trigger happy, and shot up a certain fool and
a certain carpenter...and the village elder was not amused and joined the
fracas, softening up the druid before he in the end was killed. And so Blup
realized the druid was not a nice guy, druid bad man, and continued the blood
bath, two water bolts and a quick melee, and Guthalak, the mighty, was gone.
Now Blup had tasted blood, and it was sweet, who's left to kill? Ah yes...the
cute puppy dog...In the end, the only people left were a select few goodwives,
children, and Munxip. Let that be a lesson to all of you...never piss off a
kid. Anyone know if I can get the Hotzenplotz or White Unicorn quest from
Munxip? Slip him some orcish glibber 'n' loosen up his tongue, maybe...

DSCreamer

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
<snip cool story>

That was a cool story! It had me laughing!

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go...

I am Scuzzlebutt, Lord of the Mountain! Behold my Patrick Duffy leg!

Simon de Vet

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98

Daniel Rutter wrote:

> Spoiler space...
>
> ...that'll do.
>
> I finally weakened and spent a few hours playing g10. My dwarven
> ranger was doing well, mainly because he found a Halberd of Defense in
> the Small Cave (not the FIRST time i've found a kick-ass halberd
> there; it always seems to be a HALBERD, for some reason).

<snip story>

First time I've laughed out loud at something in a newsgroup in a long
time! LOL!

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet