another smithing question

1 view

Eng1027

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

I managed to find a free forge, anvil, warhammer, pick axe, and several
ingots which I got from digging. However, I can't use the ingots cause
they're just metal, and I can't identify them. Is there any way I can get
the metallurgy skill if I didn't start out with it?

UbeTeRFolD

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

you can wish for it.....or choose a weaponsmith.
Ryan, a firm believer in don't fix it if its not broken. No graphics in ADOM!!!!

Greg Wooledge

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

>>I managed to find a free forge, anvil, warhammer, pick axe, and several
>>ingots which I got from digging. However, I can't use the ingots cause
>>they're just metal, and I can't identify them. Is there any way I can
>get
>>the metallurgy skill if I didn't start out with it?

You can't get ingots by digging. You can get *ore* by digging. You
must turn the ore into ingots by using the Smithing skill on them.

UbeTeRFolD <ubete...@aol.com> wrote:
>you can wish for it.....or choose a weaponsmith.

Well, you can't choose to be a weaponsmith in the middle of the game. ;-)

I wouldn't wish for Metallurgy -- it's really one of the weakest
skills IMHO. Identification of objects isn't all that difficult in ADOM
once you get far enough that you can actually use the Smithing skill.
You should have found a co-aligned altar, several potions of water,
and several scrolls of identify by now. Blessed identify scrolls will
identify every object you're carrying, every time (unless you fail your
Literacy roll pretty badly).
--
------------ Greg Wooledge -------------
------- wool...@kellnet.com -------

mart...@netcom.com

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

Greg Wooledge (wool...@kellnet.com) wrote:

: I wouldn't wish for Metallurgy -- it's really one of the weakest

: skills IMHO. Identification of objects isn't all that difficult in ADOM
: once you get far enough that you can actually use the Smithing skill.
: You should have found a co-aligned altar, several potions of water,
: and several scrolls of identify by now.

You don't even need to bother with that, thanks to two little
features of the game as it is:

<spoiler space, JIC>
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
- You absotively, posilutely canNOT use an ingot on something
that isn't made out of the same material. If there's something you want
to work on, just keep trying various ingots until you 'find' the right one.

- The different ingots, like anything made out of them, will have
different weights. Most iron ingots will weigh 40 stones, and eternium
ingots weight 3 stones apiece. Mithril and adamantium are somewhere in
between (I -think- mithril are 32s, and I have no clue what adamantium
weighs.)

Metallurgy is mostly a skill of convenience, so you don't have to
do any of the above tricks. Somewhat amusing note: I once picked up a
piece of metal ore, and thanks to Metallurgy immediately knew it was a
chunk of eternium. Later, I smelted it down and had a 'metal ingot' in
my inventory. Poor troll, so stupid she can't remember what it was she
just smelted....=)

Katie Sehorn, aka Fiera the Trollish Weaponsmith